Over 4.7 million Australians to get a Centrelink payment boost - Here’s how much more money you could be receiving!

As the cost of living continues to rise, many people are feeling the pinch. However, those living on fixed incomes, such as pensioners, are often hit the hardest.

With limited funds available, many struggle to make ends meet and afford necessities like food, housing, and healthcare.

For these individuals, any increase in their pension payments can be a welcome relief, providing them with some much-needed financial support.

If you’re one of those people who are looking forward to payment boosts, then we’ve got news for you!

More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20, to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

male-hand-taking-australian-bank-260nw-1716396631.jpg copy.png
A significant increase in the pension and allowance payments for more than 4.7 million Australians is expected to come into effect this month. Credit: Shutterstock.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight and couples will now enjoy an extra $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings their payments to $1,064 and $1,604 respectively.

Non-pensioners who rely on Centrelink payments will also get some relief. Here’s a breakdown:

• JobSeeker and ABSTUDY payments will increase by $24.70 bringing the fortnight payment to $701.90 for single recipients aged over 22 with no children.
• Parenting Payments will rise by $33.90 to $967.90 a fortnight for single parents.
• Commonwealth Rent Assistance will increase by $5.60 for singles, $6.58 for recipients with two children, and another $7.42 for families with three or more kids.

Centrelink payment increases (effective March 20)_.jpg
Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation, ensuring that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation

Surprisingly, the increase in pension payments has outpaced that of wages, with pensions rising at twice the rate of wages in recent months.

In September, pensions saw a significant increase of 4%, followed by another substantial hike of 3.7% in March.

In contrast, Australian wages rose by 3.3 per cent last year, which was the quickest pace in ten years. However, this increase was far below the inflation rate, which stood at 7.8 per cent - the highest since 1990.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said the good news will be a real ‘lift’ for those relying on welfare payments, who have felt the pinch of increasing prices on commodities.

She remarked: ‘Indexation is a pillar of our social security system and we want more money in the pockets of everyday Australians so they can better afford essentials.’

'Australia's social security system exists to support our most vulnerable citizens, and we know they are feeling the pinch.'

As exciting as this news is, we must accept that it’s not truly ‘rainbows and unicorns’. We still have to brace ourselves with the likelihood of double-digit mortgage hikes, with the RBA tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise on Tuesday.

The cash rate is expected to increase to 3.6 per cent from 3.35 per cent after the RBA’s comments last month suggested it was growing impatient with high inflation.

This increase represents a 63.8 per cent rise in repayments. At that time, the major banks were providing an average fixed rate of 1.92 per cent.

It should be noted that Australia’s biggest lender, Commonwealth Bank, is currently offering a one-year fixed rate of 5.99%.

Meanwhile, NAB has raised its variable rate for borrowers with a mortgage of less than 20% deposit by 0.2 percentage points to 6.44%.

Key Takeaways

• More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20.
  • Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, couples will enjoy an extra $56.40 and other welfare recipients will receive increases.
  • The increase comes as part of twice-yearly indexation, to ensure that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation.
  • The RBA is tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise. Major banks are offering fixed rates of up to 5.99%.

So, there you have it, folks! While many pensioners welcome this boost, we must be realistic and recognise that it's not a quick fix. As pensions grow, so does inflation and the cost of living.

This creates a vicious cycle where pensioners are forced to tighten their budgets even further just to keep up or find themselves falling behind.

What are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think the payment boosts offer enough relief for those who live on fixed incomes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
$37.50 rise a fortnight for aged pension?? I'll be getting under $15.00. Don't know where your info comes from.

Reactions: Me-Ant
In addition to my previous thoughts on this, I think that as the cost of living has been increasing every week and all the government is doing is giving a "snapshot increase". Below is a chart showing what a fortnightly cost of living increase looks like to achieve the sum being "given" next week. In other words, pensioners should have been receiving and continue to receive an amount which matches the rise in costs every fortnight. This means we should be getting "back pay" for all the times the pension has failed to keep up. On these figures, Singles should get $243.75 and Couples $366.60 for the period. And the coming six months will be worse!

Date​
Singles​
Couples​
21/09/22​
$2.68​
$4.03​
05/10/22​
$5.36​
$8.06​
19/10/22​
$8.04​
$12.09​
02/11/22​
$10.71​
$16.11​
16/11/22​
$13.39​
$20.14​
30/11/22​
$16.07​
$24.17​
14/12/22​
$18.75​
$28.20​
28/12/22​
$21.43​
$32.23​
11/01/23​
$24.11​
$36.26​
25/01/23​
$26.79​
$40.29​
08/02/23​
$29.46​
$44.31​
22/02/23​
$32.14​
$48.34​
08/03/23​
$34.82​
$52.37​
22/03/23​
$37.50​
$56.40​
I'm a single aged pensioner and my next payment is only going up less than $15.

$37.50 rise a fortnight for aged pension?? I'll be getting under $15.00. Don't know where your info comes from.
If you read the beginning of this article, you'll see "Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight" The first payment will only be a a part because it starts on the 20th March

If you read the beginning of this article, you'll see "Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight" The first payment will only be a a part because it starts on the 20th March

My next payment is due on the 28 March.

Reactions: Jenny07
As the cost of living continues to rise, many people are feeling the pinch. However, those living on fixed incomes, such as pensioners, are often hit the hardest.

With limited funds available, many struggle to make ends meet and afford necessities like food, housing, and healthcare.

For these individuals, any increase in their pension payments can be a welcome relief, providing them with some much-needed financial support.

If you’re one of those people who are looking forward to payment boosts, then we’ve got news for you!

More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20, to keep up with the increasing cost of living.

View attachment 15005
A significant increase in the pension and allowance payments for more than 4.7 million Australians is expected to come into effect this month. Credit: Shutterstock.

Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight and couples will now enjoy an extra $56.40 per fortnight. This boost brings their payments to $1,064 and $1,604 respectively.

Non-pensioners who rely on Centrelink payments will also get some relief. Here’s a breakdown:

• JobSeeker and ABSTUDY payments will increase by $24.70 bringing the fortnight payment to $701.90 for single recipients aged over 22 with no children.
• Parenting Payments will rise by $33.90 to $967.90 a fortnight for single parents.
• Commonwealth Rent Assistance will increase by $5.60 for singles, $6.58 for recipients with two children, and another $7.42 for families with three or more kids.

View attachment 15021
Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

The increase comes as part of the twice-yearly indexation, ensuring that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation

Surprisingly, the increase in pension payments has outpaced that of wages, with pensions rising at twice the rate of wages in recent months.

In September, pensions saw a significant increase of 4%, followed by another substantial hike of 3.7% in March.

In contrast, Australian wages rose by 3.3 per cent last year, which was the quickest pace in ten years. However, this increase was far below the inflation rate, which stood at 7.8 per cent - the highest since 1990.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth said the good news will be a real ‘lift’ for those relying on welfare payments, who have felt the pinch of increasing prices on commodities.

She remarked: ‘Indexation is a pillar of our social security system and we want more money in the pockets of everyday Australians so they can better afford essentials.’

'Australia's social security system exists to support our most vulnerable citizens, and we know they are feeling the pinch.'

As exciting as this news is, we must accept that it’s not truly ‘rainbows and unicorns’. We still have to brace ourselves with the likelihood of double-digit mortgage hikes, with the RBA tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise on Tuesday.

The cash rate is expected to increase to 3.6 per cent from 3.35 per cent after the RBA’s comments last month suggested it was growing impatient with high inflation.

This increase represents a 63.8 per cent rise in repayments. At that time, the major banks were providing an average fixed rate of 1.92 per cent.

It should be noted that Australia’s biggest lender, Commonwealth Bank, is currently offering a one-year fixed rate of 5.99%.

Meanwhile, NAB has raised its variable rate for borrowers with a mortgage of less than 20% deposit by 0.2 percentage points to 6.44%.

Key Takeaways

• More than 4.7 million Australians are set to receive a boost in their fortnightly payments, starting March 20.
  • Single pensioners, disability pensioners and carers will receive an extra $37.50 each fortnight, couples will enjoy an extra $56.40 and other welfare recipients will receive increases.
  • The increase comes as part of twice-yearly indexation, to ensure that pensions and allowance payments remain aligned with inflation.
  • The RBA is tipping a 10th consecutive rate rise. Major banks are offering fixed rates of up to 5.99%.

So, there you have it, folks! While many pensioners welcome this boost, we must be realistic and recognise that it's not a quick fix. As pensions grow, so does inflation and the cost of living.

This creates a vicious cycle where pensioners are forced to tighten their budgets even further just to keep up or find themselves falling behind.

What are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think the payment boosts offer enough relief for those who live on fixed incomes? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.😕

Given the previous Fed Gov’ts proposal (which only came to light AFTER the election) to increase ALL Energy charges, I don’t see how that comment is appropriate…
any government. common sense does not apply now. absolutely no foresight. I hope china gives australia time to get their wee boats floating or diving. classic example of no foresight.

WHO IS BLOODY DICKUM OUR PTIME MINISTER HAS NOT BEEN IN OUR COUNTRY ALL YEAR HE HAS BEEN FLYING ALL OVER THE WORLD WITH HIS FLOOZY HAVING A GOOD TIME ON TAXPAYERS MONEY NOT CHEAP SO so pensioners do not hold your breathe the last bit is in lower case so your failing eye sight will not know what the goverment is doing

Reactions: Nana Zorak
There is never enough for some people. No matter the amount provided! Lets all be thankful the welfare of the little people are prioritised by this government
Almaobed obviously knows some leprechauns as do this govt as they must be the ones that are being prioitised!

Pension increase never makes sense ? I should get half the married couples pension😡 but it’s $20.14 not $28.20 🤔Which is half the married couples pension. How do they expect a married couple to live? I checked my Centre Link account for those figures???
Well, couples don't have individual costs like electricity & rent that singles have so the Government think that 2 can live as cheaply as 1. Which in most cases they can.

Hi - I don't know if this perfectly fits in this discussion but I wanted to mention a little way to save on electricity. Using a clothes steamer instead of an iron saves on electricity consumption. Steamers heat up quicker, can remove creases quicker, delay the need to put clothes in the wash, and are a substitute for some visits to the dry cleaners. I have a Propress MINI (this one), a handheld steamer, and it's definitely quicker doing clothes, but also can do curtains and bedding. You can see I am a convert!