Outrageous price for corned beef at Woolworth's leave shoppers gobsmacked- ‘Is fresh actually cheaper?'

Ah, the classic staple of many Aussie homes – corned beef.

We’re sure many of our members fondly remember the days when a rich and hearty corned beef meal was an affordable staple in the Australian household.

Unfortunately, those days might be long gone, as one Aussie discovered the astonishing price of canned corned beef on a recent trip to Woolworths.

Paniora Nukunuku, a Sydney resident originally from New Zealand, couldn't believe his eyes when he saw a 340g tin of Hamper Regular Corn Beef sporting a staggering price tag of $9.05.

To add further insult to injury, the tin also carried a 'low price’ label, implying that the price was considered lower than normal by the supermarket giant. But what happened to the affordable corned beef meals of yesteryear?

Paniora first expressed his disappointment with the rising cost of canned corned beef in March 2022, when it cost $8.20. Fast forward fourteen months, and the price had soared by more than 10%.

He documented his frustration in a video shared on social media, sparking a wave of sympathetic and equally frustrated reactions.

Surprisingly, many commenters pointed out fresh beef is now priced similarly or cheaper than the canned variety.

'For that price, it's almost cheaper to buy fresh meat,' a fellow shopper commented on Paniora's video.

Another wrote: ‘Corned beef was made for people in poverty, how the tables have turned.’

1684810198971.png
The shopper was shocked to find that the current price of corned beef (right), which he already noted to be ‘expensive’ last year (left), increased by more than 10% in the past fourteen months. Credit: TikTok/@pnuks.

Others called for a break in the supermarket duopoly in Australia to encourage competition and drive down costs.

'We need to abolish the duopoly of supermarkets in Australia,' one user suggested.

Some saw the humour in the situation, with one person joking: 'I guess it's time to grow my own food.’

This is not the first time a beloved item’s price hike has infuriated many shoppers. In this article, we shared how customers reacted to the massive increase in the cost of Pepsi Max.

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney man spotted a 340g tin of Hamper Regular Corned Beef priced at $9.05 in Woolworth's, with a 'low price label.'
  • The price of the tin increased by more than 10% in fourteen months, prompting outrage and shock from the public.
  • Many commenters pointed out that fresh beef is now the same price or cheaper than corned beef.
  • Some called for an end to the supermarket duopoly in Australia and expressed frustration with the rising costs of food items.

Given the nostalgic link between corned beef and more frugal times, it's frustrating for many – especially those of us who remember when corned beef was an economical meal option – to witness this dramatic price increase.

Aside from the obvious nostalgia factor, corned beef has long been cherished for its versatility in various recipes, from sandwiches to casseroles.

However, with prices on the rise, consumers may be forced to seek more affordable alternatives or turn to fresh cuts of beef as a more cost-effective option.

So, dear members, let's keep our eyes peeled for those supermarket bargains.

What are your thoughts on this price hike? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I haven't purchased tin meat for yonks . I used to buy this and make a spaghetti sauce out of it
The other tin meat I used to buy was camp pie.
To be honest I don't know how OR why I purchased these artificial meats full of preservatives, I'm guessing it's because I grew up with these

• Love
Reactions: Milica and Gaena

We’re sure many of our members fondly remember the days when a rich and hearty corned beef meal was an affordable staple in the Australian household.

Unfortunately, those days might be long gone, as one Aussie discovered the astonishing price of canned corned beef on a recent trip to Woolworths.

Paniora Nukunuku, a Sydney resident originally from New Zealand, couldn't believe his eyes when he saw a 340g tin of Hamper Regular Corn Beef sporting a staggering price tag of $9.05.

To add further insult to injury, the tin also carried a 'low price’ label, implying that the price was considered lower than normal by the supermarket giant. But what happened to the affordable corned beef meals of yesteryear?

Paniora first expressed his disappointment with the rising cost of canned corned beef in March 2022, when it cost $8.20. Fast forward fourteen months, and the price had soared by more than 10%.

He documented his frustration in a video shared on social media, sparking a wave of sympathetic and equally frustrated reactions.

Surprisingly, many commenters pointed out fresh beef is now priced similarly or cheaper than the canned variety.

'For that price, it's almost cheaper to buy fresh meat,' a fellow shopper commented on Paniora's video.

Another wrote: ‘Corned beef was made for people in poverty, how the tables have turned.’

View attachment 20431
The shopper was shocked to find that the current price of corned beef (right), which he already noted to be ‘expensive’ last year (left), increased by more than 10% in the past fourteen months. Credit: TikTok/@pnuks.

Others called for a break in the supermarket duopoly in Australia to encourage competition and drive down costs.

'We need to abolish the duopoly of supermarkets in Australia,' one user suggested.

Some saw the humour in the situation, with one person joking: 'I guess it's time to grow my own food.’

This is not the first time a beloved item’s price hike has infuriated many shoppers. In this article, we shared how customers reacted to the massive increase in the cost of Pepsi Max.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney man spotted a 340g tin of Hamper Regular Corned Beef priced at $9.05 in Woolworth's, with a 'low price label.'
  • The price of the tin increased by more than 10% in fourteen months, prompting outrage and shock from the public.
  • Many commenters pointed out that fresh beef is now the same price or cheaper than corned beef.
  • Some called for an end to the supermarket duopoly in Australia and expressed frustration with the rising costs of food items.

Given the nostalgic link between corned beef and more frugal times, it's frustrating for many – especially those of us who remember when corned beef was an economical meal option – to witness this dramatic price increase.

Aside from the obvious nostalgia factor, corned beef has long been cherished for its versatility in various recipes, from sandwiches to casseroles.

However, with prices on the rise, consumers may be forced to seek more affordable alternatives or turn to fresh cuts of beef as a more cost-effective option.

What are your thoughts on this price hike? Share them with us in the comments below!

Buy it fresh and cook it yourself. At least you know what you are actually eating. Leave the overpriced canned stuff on the shelf.

Buy it fresh and cook it yourself. At least you know what you are actually eating. Leave the overpriced canned stuff on the shelf.
If you like the tinned corned beef look at the Woolworths brand as it is about 98% meat compared to the much lower percentage of Hamper. My husband likes tinned meat and reads the labels to get the best. Won't tell you what he calls Hamper but let's just say he won't buy it let alone eat it.

Reactions: Milica
We grew up with Spam, loved it and in fact still do but wont' pay the exorbitant inflated prices that a majority of supermarkets charge. My hubby loves the Corn beef but also won't purchase now.

Reactions: Milica

View attachment 20431

Key Takeaways

Protest with your feet people. It's the only way to combat rising prices.

Went to do our fortnightly shopping today. Big shock Coke no sugar packs of 12 bottles last week $11 this week $17 went without, got 2 large bottles for $7.

View attachment 20431

Key Takeaways

Go to Aldi it's cheaper and tastes great 👍

You know this will pass, when they are all over stocked the prices will come down, I remember feeding my family on weetbix, sausages, and mince tinned vegies and 1 loaf of bread a week, for almost 18 months. The kids were like "again", but you would be surprised what you can come up with.

No thanks. I saw today that Woollies had Baked Corn Beef for sale with the hot chickens. I didn't buy it as I'm not a fan of corn beef, but it's there everyone.

I'm also wondering at Coles advertisement for the baked pork and the size of the pork they display cooked, but uncut and the cut slices on the plate. I saw them in Coles and I'm thinking 'no way are they that big. The ones I saw in the hot food section were tiny that one whole piece for sale would sit easily in the palm of my hand and my fingers sticking out. ' Misleading advertisement .???? Has anyone actually purchased one of these and are they as big as on tv, given as well the size of the slices on the plate.

No thanks. I saw today that Woollies had Baked Corn Beef for sale with the hot chickens. I didn't buy it as I'm not a fan of corn beef, but it's there everyone.

I'm also wondering at Coles advertisement for the baked pork and the size of the pork they display cooked, but uncut and the cut slices on the plate. I saw them in Coles and I'm thinking 'no way are they that big. The ones I saw in the hot food section were tiny that one whole piece for sale would sit easily in the palm of my hand and my fingers sticking out. ' Misleading advertisement .???? Has anyone actually purchased one of these and are they as big as on tv, given as well the size of the slices on the plate.

Yes, my

Yes, my husband put one in the trolley, which I didn't notice. It was extremely small and expensive.
Wouldn't recommend it.

View attachment 20431

Key Takeaways

Its time to buy your corn beef from the butcher.... It tastes a lot better as well