Outrageous or justified? Discover the millionaire dad's controversial on-flight act involving his family

Ah, the golden years! We've worked hard all our lives, and now we can finally enjoy a well-earned luxury from time to time. It has to be said, nothing screams luxury quite like a first-class flight. For some, it's the ultimate travel experience, offering unparalleled levels of comfort, private spaces, delicious food, and top-notch customer service.

But what happens when the privilege of sitting in first class becomes a bone of contention within a family, especially between parents and young children? This very dilemma arose recently and has caused quite a stir on social media.

1683691374803.png
Samuel Leeds recorded a video of himself bidding farewell to his two children seated in economy class before heading to his first-class seat. Source: tiktok.com/@samuel_leeds

Samuel Leeds, a millionaire real estate investor from the UK, found himself at the centre of a heated debate after he shared a video on TikTok. In the footage, he proudly waved goodbye to his two young children as they sat in the economy section of the plane. Meanwhile, Samuel and his wife Amanda enjoyed the comforts of first-class, justifying it as a way of teaching their kids the value of a strong work ethic and not spoiling them.

"Don't worry, they were sitting with their nanny," he reassured his viewers, adding that "rich people don't spoil their kids."

While economy and business class may be nothing to sniff at, a little luxury now and then doesn't hurt, especially when one's earned it after years of hard work. That's how Samuel Leeds felt, as evident in the video where he walked past the economy and business sections, noting that it was his hard work that placed him in first class.

1683691374893.png
The real estate mogul and his wife Amanda were spotted relishing their first-class experience, justifying it as a reward for their hard work and dedication. Source: tiktok.com/@samuel_leeds

His wife Amanda, whom Samuel says has helped him build their business empire, is seen in the cosy first-class cabin sipping a glass of red wine, while their children remain in the company of their nanny.

As part of the video, Samuel sought the opinions of his viewers on this family-seating arrangement, sparking a fierce debate.

Leeds' video has garnered over 25,000 views, and opinions, it seems, are divided. Many people were supportive of the millionaire couple's decision, with one viewer stating, "I love this! Your hard-earned money, not theirs. They need to learn to make their own. No excuses, and this is a teachable moment when they get older."

Another chimed in, saying, "Respect. They will be in first-class one day and feel that they earned it."

Different Parenting Styles and Their Impact on Children's Development​

While some parents were supportive of Samuel Leeds' decision to send his children to fly in economy while he and his wife enjoyed first-class, critics questioned the ethics and values being imparted by this arrangement.

One individual stated, "I fail to see what lesson this will teach them," while another mentioned that they would never want to be so far away from their children on a plane.

The debate over Leeds' decision brought attention to different parenting styles and their impact on a child's development. Research has shown that a child's environment, including the way they are raised by their parents, shapes their development of skills, attitudes, beliefs, and values.

Parenting styles, such as authoritarian, authoritative, and permissive, have been linked to various outcomes for the child, including academic performance, self-esteem, and behaviour.

Ultimately, it's up to the parents to decide how to raise their children. Still, it's crucial to understand the implications of different types of parenting styles and the effect they may have on the child's development.

Is it right to teach our little ones the value of hard work and not spoil them by putting them in the lap of luxury from an early age? Or are there other ways to teach them these virtues while still keeping the family unit together during travel? It's clear that both sides have merit, but ultimately, it's up to each family to decide what works best for them.
Key Takeaways

• A wealthy dad has sparked a heated debate for flying in first class with his wife while their kids were seated in economy with a nanny.
  • The video of Samuel Leeds, a real estate mogul from the UK, and his family's seating arrangement has been viewed more than 25,000 times.
  • Many viewers agreed with his decision, saying it taught kids about hard work and not feeling overly entitled.
  • However, some disagreed with the act, describing it as 'savage' and questioning the lesson it was meant to teach.
In the spirit of late-life luxury, community members, we invite you to share your travel experiences in first class (or economy for that matter) by leaving a post or commenting them below! When was the last time you treated yourself to that extra bit of indulgence in the sky? And, of course, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this millionaire dad's controversial decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: terri and Marj53
Sponsored
I can think of other ways than buying cheaper seats for the two young children on a flight where the parents obviously wanted to be child-free.
I doubt the children would really care where they sat, as long as the flight was not too long-distance and the nanny was the hired one who would have to keep them entertained and cared for.
If they were teenagers, not tots, then that might make some impact!!
Strange perspectives of some wealthy parents ( or any).

I think the lesson the children will learn here is that their parents do not love them enough to spend their money on them, or spend their time with them. There are other more constructive ways to teach children the value of money and hard work. I think the method the parents have chosen is much more likely to be destructive than constructive.

I think the lesson the children will learn here is that their parents do not love them enough to spend their money on them, or spend their time with them. There are other more constructive ways to teach children the value of money and hard work. I think the method the parents have chosen is much more likely to be destructive than constructive.
This is a good lesson and they were being cared for. It doesnt say all of the story, he could have been working and did not want to be interrupted so fair enough. Dont believe half truths and what you read, theres always more to a story than a small snippit in someones life, this stops you from making a Goose of yourself.

They are too young to learn that lesson. The flight is an adventure and fine for small bodies as the seats will not be confining anyway.

Reactions: Jarred Santos
This is a good lesson and they were being cared for. It doesnt say all of the story, he could have been working and did not want to be interrupted so fair enough. Dont believe half truths and what you read, theres always more to a story than a small snippit in someones life, this stops you from making a Goose of yourself.
Your response is somewhat contradictory. You admit that the article does not tell the whole story and yet you are prepared to conclude that I am making a "goose" of myself for simply holding the opinion that this more likely to be a destructive than a constructive way to learn a lesson. Well, here's another lesson for you - it is generally acknowledged in the field of debate that if you have to resort to name-calling to make your point, it means your argument is not strong enough to stand on its own merits.

Last edited:
When our eldest grandson turned 18, I flew him from Hobart to Brisbane business class with Qantas using my FF points. He was a little confused at first down in Hobart not really sure about sitting up the front of the aircraft and they kept referring to him as Mr and Sir and that had never happened before either, but, by the time he got to Brisbane after changing flights in Melbourne, he declared to his Grandad that he "was never flying cattle class again ever".
I must also tell you he is a very large young man of about 6'5". Grandad said to thank me because he would not have done it. I thought it was a nice treat for him actually finishing high school and being accepted into university.

Ah, the golden years! We've worked hard all our lives, and now we can finally enjoy a well-earned luxury from time to time. It has to be said, nothing screams luxury quite like a first-class flight. For some, it's the ultimate travel experience, offering unparalleled levels of comfort, private spaces, delicious food, and top-notch customer service.

But what happens when the privilege of sitting in first class becomes a bone of contention within a family, especially between parents and young children? This very dilemma arose recently and has caused quite a stir on social media.

View attachment 19467
Samuel Leeds recorded a video of himself bidding farewell to his two children seated in economy class before heading to his first-class seat. Source: tiktok.com/@samuel_leeds

Samuel Leeds, a millionaire real estate investor from the UK, found himself at the centre of a heated debate after he shared a video on TikTok. In the footage, he proudly waved goodbye to his two young children as they sat in the economy section of the plane. Meanwhile, Samuel and his wife Amanda enjoyed the comforts of first-class, justifying it as a way of teaching their kids the value of a strong work ethic and not spoiling them.

"Don't worry, they were sitting with their nanny," he reassured his viewers, adding that "rich people don't spoil their kids."

While economy and business class may be nothing to sniff at, a little luxury now and then doesn't hurt, especially when one's earned it after years of hard work. That's how Samuel Leeds felt, as evident in the video where he walked past the economy and business sections, noting that it was his hard work that placed him in first class.

View attachment 19468
The real estate mogul and his wife Amanda were spotted relishing their first-class experience, justifying it as a reward for their hard work and dedication. Source: tiktok.com/@samuel_leeds

His wife Amanda, whom Samuel says has helped him build their business empire, is seen in the cosy first-class cabin sipping a glass of red wine, while their children remain in the company of their nanny.

As part of the video, Samuel sought the opinions of his viewers on this family-seating arrangement, sparking a fierce debate.

Leeds' video has garnered over 25,000 views, and opinions, it seems, are divided. Many people were supportive of the millionaire couple's decision, with one viewer stating, "I love this! Your hard-earned money, not theirs. They need to learn to make their own. No excuses, and this is a teachable moment when they get older."

Another chimed in, saying, "Respect. They will be in first-class one day and feel that they earned it."

While some parents were supportive of Samuel Leeds' decision to send his children to fly in economy while he and his wife enjoyed first-class, critics questioned the ethics and values being imparted by this arrangement.

One individual stated, "I fail to see what lesson this will teach them," while another mentioned that they would never want to be so far away from their children on a plane.

The debate over Leeds' decision brought attention to different parenting styles and their impact on a child's development. Research has shown that a child's environment, including the way they are raised by their parents, shapes their development of skills, attitudes, beliefs, and values.

Parenting styles, such as authoritarian, authoritative, and permissive, have been linked to various outcomes for the child, including academic performance, self-esteem, and behaviour.

Ultimately, it's up to the parents to decide how to raise their children. Still, it's crucial to understand the implications of different types of parenting styles and the effect they may have on the child's development.

Is it right to teach our little ones the value of hard work and not spoil them by putting them in the lap of luxury from an early age? Or are there other ways to teach them these virtues while still keeping the family unit together during travel? It's clear that both sides have merit, but ultimately, it's up to each family to decide what works best for them.
Key Takeaways

• A wealthy dad has sparked a heated debate for flying in first class with his wife while their kids were seated in economy with a nanny.
  • The video of Samuel Leeds, a real estate mogul from the UK, and his family's seating arrangement has been viewed more than 25,000 times.
  • Many viewers agreed with his decision, saying it taught kids about hard work and not feeling overly entitled.
  • However, some disagreed with the act, describing it as 'savage' and questioning the lesson it was meant to teach.
In the spirit of late-life luxury, community members, we invite you to share your travel experiences in first class (or economy for that matter) by leaving a post or commenting them below! When was the last time you treated yourself to that extra bit of indulgence in the sky? And, of course, we'd love to hear your thoughts on this millionaire dad's controversial decision.
Having worked in an Industry that occassionaly flew us all over the world in first class until our useless union gave it away on an at the time false promise, I can assur you that given the choice of a first class flight or a few days in a first class hotel, I know were I'd be ( and I wouldn't be winging it )

Flew business class once to Perth with my mum. We had economy tickets and when we got there to check in we found out that one of my brothers used his points to upgrade us.

Everyone should try it once but I'd rather donate money to animal shelters and fly economy. My brother simply needed to use his points and did it this way.

Flew Virgin 'Business Class' to New Zealand: 'Business Class' consisted of the 2 first rows in the aircraft in the single cabin. Seats were slightly wider and a minimal meal was provided. (Cattle Class had to buy snacks!)
Personally didn't consider the surcharge worth it.

I seem to remember Wil Andersen telling a story one night on Gruen about flying somewhere and after the seatbelt light went off Russell Crowe came through the curtains from Business class to check on his sons who were sitting across the aisle from him.

View attachment 19467

View attachment 19468

Key Takeaways

it teach the kids nothing : relegate them, and even more so the nanny, where they belong in cattle class, when the parents enjoy peace and quiet away from them... ie the good old english class system