Outrageous new trend in Aussie op shops sparks fury

With the cost of living soaring as of late, many know all too well just how hard it is to make ends meet.

It's for this reason that op shops can be such an oasis during these trying times as they provide an opportunity—hence the name—to avail of affordable clothing, furniture, toys, and more, in order to help people stretch their budget further.

This is why the recent trend of price hiking in op shops has led Nicole Preece, a devoted mother of six, to slam the outlets on social media.

Photo_20230927_134539_0000.png
A mum shared her disappointment over the alleged price hike on items being sold in op shops. Image source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

In the video, Nicole expressed her disappointment and highlighted exactly how much secondhand clothing is increasing in price, mentioning one instance where she saw a dinnerware set priced at a whopping $250!

She said: 'Are my eyes deceiving me, is this tea set from Buckingham Palace?'

Nicole claims to have donated and shopped regularly at op shops since she was a child. She also stressed that people now need op shops more than ever due to the increase in the cost of living.

'Op shops are meant to be about helping the community', Nicole said.

'It's now got to the point that I'm walking into op shops, and I can't afford it. It's an absolute disgrace.'

'They should be a place where people can go to buy affordable clothing and where people can support a cause or charity,' she added.

Other users commented on Nicole's video and expressed the same sentiments as her with one sharing: ‘I saw a long tulle skirt. It was badly shredded at the back and stained and was [priced] $50.'

While another shared: 'A guy wanted to buy a towel—it was $8 [at the op shop], but at Kmart, they are $2.50 [and brand] new.'

'I found a secondhand phone case and I thought it said $8. No, it was $80—I was like nope!' A third said.

And a fourth added: 'Today I saw a beaten up dinner set for $80 at my local op shop.'

You can watch Nicole’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

Just a few months ago, one Vinnies shop in Sydney was at the centre of a similar controversy after it was found to be selling a designer T-shirt for $350. The price tag was later changed to $100 after the store said it was a misprint.

In July, another Vinnies in Mayfield, Newcastle experienced a similar backlash after selling a second-hand jacket for $75.

'They just used to be affordable for those who can't buy things at the full price. It's disappointing to see inflation has really taken over,' one commented.

While another claimed: 'Vinnies is the most expensive op shop.'

Furthermore, another op shop in Queensland had people in uproar after it was discovered to be selling a pair of shoes for a whopping $500!
Key Takeaways
  • A mum of sixhas criticised secondhand shops for increasing their prices.
  • Nicole Preece shared her experience on social media, highlighting how she and others were struggling to afford items in op shops, which she states should be helping the community during the current cost-of-living crisis.
  • Preece gave examples of overpriced items she had encountered in these shops, including a dinnerware set priced at $250 and many other users shared similar experiences in the comments.
  • The issue appears to be widespread, with Vinnies shops in Sydney and Newcastle also coming under fire for pricing used items at up to $500.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever come across an unreasonably priced item at an op shop? Share your discovery with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Couldnt agree more
I personally do a op-shop bin drop at least twice a year (discarding old clothes, toys etc that my son has out grown.
These are donations.... I do not charge them for these item same as everyone else
so all item in the store are acquired for free... meaning they can be dispensed with for minimal outlay to those who need it.
These item are usually second hand, not new and offer no warranty or exchange or any other options so I do not understand why things from them are so expensive.
I do of course realize they have overheads to meet like rent etc and they are always on the increase....
but this price hike they seem to have adopted is well and truly above what is necessary.

For shame, for shame

With the cost of living soaring as of late, many know all too well just how hard it is to make ends meet.

It's for this reason that op shops can be such an oasis during these trying times as they provide an opportunity—hence the name—to avail of affordable clothing, furniture, toys, and more, in order to help people stretch their budget further.

This is why the recent trend of price hiking in op shops has led Nicole Preece, a devoted mother of six, to slam the outlets on social media.

View attachment 30990
A mum shared her disappointment over the alleged price hike on items being sold in op shops. Image source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

In the video, Nicole expressed her disappointment and highlighted exactly how much secondhand clothing is increasing in price, mentioning one instance where she saw a dinnerware set priced at a whopping $250!

Nicole claims to have donated and shopped regularly at op shops since she was a child. She also stressed that people now need op shops more than ever due to the increase in the cost of living.

'It's now got to the point that I'm walking into op shops, and I can't afford it. It's an absolute disgrace.'

'They should be a place where people can go to buy affordable clothing and where people can support a cause or charity,' she added.

Other users commented on Nicole's video and expressed the same sentiments as her with one sharing: ‘I saw a long tulle skirt. It was badly shredded at the back and stained and was [priced] $50.'

While another shared: 'A guy wanted to buy a towel—it was $8 [at the op shop], but at Kmart, they are $2.50 [and brand] new.'

'I found a secondhand phone case and I thought it said $8. No, it was $80—I was like nope!' A third said.

And a fourth added: 'Today I saw a beaten up dinner set for $80 at my local op shop.'

Just a few months ago, one Vinnies shop in Sydney was at the centre of a similar controversy after it was found to be selling a designer T-shirt for $350. The price tag was later changed to $100 after the store said it was a misprint.

In July, another Vinnies in Mayfield, Newcastle experienced a similar backlash after selling a second-hand jacket for $75.

'They just used to be affordable for those who can't buy things at the full price. It's disappointing to see inflation has really taken over,' one commented.

Furthermore, another op shop in Queensland had people in uproar after it was discovered to be selling a pair of shoes for a whopping $500!
Key Takeaways

• Nicole Preece shared her experience on social media, highlighting how she and others were struggling to afford items in op shops, which she states should be helping the community during the current cost-of-living crisis.
  • Preece gave examples of overpriced items she had encountered in these shops, including a dinnerware set priced at $250 and many other users shared similar experiences in the comments.
  • The issue appears to be widespread, with Vinnies shops in Sydney and Newcastle also coming under fire for pricing used items at up to $500.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever come across an unreasonably priced item at an op shop? Share your discovery with us in the comments below!

I think salvos are the dearest in Western Sydney, Vinnies seem to be a little cheaper, some are even choosy about what you donate, an aluminium single bed in perfect condition was knocked back by Cancer Council op shop and Vinnies but Salvos took it and put 50 bucks on it. Not really trying to help, then again the money raised goes to people behind the scenes.

I think salvos are the dearest in Western Sydney, Vinnies seem to be a little cheaper, some are even choosy about what you donate, an aluminium single bed in perfect condition was knocked back by Cancer Council op shop and Vinnies but Salvos took it and put 50 bucks on it. Not really trying to help, then again the money raised goes to people behind the scenes.
And good Sammy's a dress because it has a label in it $35 it's a joke

Reactions: Glen44
I think it's been forgotten op shops were setup to help the poor and disadvantaged be able to afford clothes and shoes. In a world now where charity executives receive ridiculous salaries, this is what is fuelling the higher prices. It's quite disgraceful when you see items from places like K Mart priced at more than the original price. I've seen this many times in my local op shop. You have to be more discerning now to shop in op shops. I have started shopping at a new online site called Temu - the value is really good, the itemsare cheap, items are new and you get free shipping. Win all the way round!

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

They are all doing it. They are now definitely for profit businesses and should pay tax

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

I volunteer at an Op Shop for the local hospital and our prices are costed very low and affordable. We still make quite a lot of money for the hospital each year.

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

They get things donated for free and rip people who purchase there second hand goods off
It is getting to the point not worth supporting them

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

When questioning the price of a t shirt in an op shop the volunteer told my friend "we are not a charity you know!" ....really?.....sorry....my mistake.....

I love shopping at opp shops . I love finding old wares, board games ect . But I nolonger bother as prices are more expensive than new items .
As prices went up I would still buy thinking it's going to a worthy cause but it's gone out of control.

Poor people definitely would not shop at vinnies or salvos

I donate a lot of stuff, mainly clothing & household things, to charity & have often wondered what they get sold for. A few weeks ago l took heaps of fabric, all good quality & new, as well as clothing & books to one of them as well as 3 new blinds that were incorrectly sized in Spotlight. Maybe I should’ve gone back to check prices. I even drive across town to one in the poorer suburbs so that really needy people can be helped. I personally love The Benevolent Society as they give people stuff for FREE! I knit jumpers & crochet blankets for them.

I donate a lot of stuff, mainly clothing & household things, to charity & have often wondered what they get sold for. A few weeks ago l took heaps of fabric, all good quality & new, as well as clothing & books to one of them as well as 3 new blinds that were incorrectly sized in Spotlight. Maybe I should’ve gone back to check prices. I even drive across town to one in the poorer suburbs so that really needy people can be helped. I personally love The Benevolent Society as they give people stuff for FREE! I knit jumpers & crochet blankets for them.
I actually think the best shops to donate to are those small church op shops that the elderly volunteer ladies run.
The money goes straight to helping feed and clothe people who really need help

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

Geez It's been a long time since i went into a op shop - i guess my old fave of the 20 cent bin is long gone! I used to get loads of great stuff in there with minimal damage if at all. But the most i ever paid 'off the op shop rack' was about $6 for regular stuff and $45 for a leather jacket.
If they want people to pay retail/new item prices for second hand items they were given for free then they should just get in new items. The whole idea of an op shop is to get usable second hand items cheap not be ripped off.

I use to work for a charity which had a main shop and the axe I worked at was the warehouse that came into our place with the donations. I use to sort and price the clothing accordingly and also what I would pay for it. Not bragging I helped them make alot of money. I still op shop and yes the prices are going up but they have to make money to cover expenses. I found out that the CEO gets a new car every 6 months and depending on how much of a profit the 2 stores make is the type of car. The other store deals in high end, expensive furniture and clothing and collectables. I donate to several op shops around my area but I stay away from Salvos just recently.

Reactions: Gunsmoke and Ricki

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

I used to volunteer at Vinnies. After a couple of months seeing people getting ripped off over things that were donated, I left.

Reactions: Ricki

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

That's exactly what is happening in my area, there is a Salvation Army Op Shop, a Lifeline Shop and a Save the Children shop. The prices are being raised often far aboe what they would have been for items previously. It seems to be a trend. As you said, these shops are for people who would like to dress well at a much reduced price. I've seen T shirts that can be bought new and in good condition at Shopping Centres, but I've found similar ones charging a price for new ones instead of pre-loved. I don't buy as much there now, have to be really needing something these days.

View attachment 30990

Key Takeaways

Just boycott them, over the years i have occasionaely purchased items from the op shopsbut there seems to be a dearth on what I;m looking for and I point out that by and large the prices haven't changed as yet mind there's still time before it's all sorted out was again to China's advantageous.

I actually think the best shops to donate to are those small church op shops that the elderly volunteer ladies run.
The money goes straight to helping feed and clothe people who really need help
I totally agree. I used to take my donations to Vinnie's, but I then found a small church op shop, where the prices were excellent and now when I go down to Perth I drop off my things there.
I bought a few ornaments, 3 t-shirts
,6 DVDs and a couple of stuffed toys for my dogs for a grand total of $12.
I was so pleased I told them to keep the change from my ,$20, and it was still a bargain.