Outrageous new trend in Aussie op shops sparks fury

With the cost of living soaring as of late, many know all too well just how hard it is to make ends meet.

It's for this reason that op shops can be such an oasis during these trying times as they provide an opportunity—hence the name—to avail of affordable clothing, furniture, toys, and more, in order to help people stretch their budget further.

This is why the recent trend of price hiking in op shops has led Nicole Preece, a devoted mother of six, to slam the outlets on social media.

Photo_20230927_134539_0000.png
A mum shared her disappointment over the alleged price hike on items being sold in op shops. Image source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

In the video, Nicole expressed her disappointment and highlighted exactly how much secondhand clothing is increasing in price, mentioning one instance where she saw a dinnerware set priced at a whopping $250!

She said: 'Are my eyes deceiving me, is this tea set from Buckingham Palace?'

Nicole claims to have donated and shopped regularly at op shops since she was a child. She also stressed that people now need op shops more than ever due to the increase in the cost of living.

'Op shops are meant to be about helping the community', Nicole said.

'It's now got to the point that I'm walking into op shops, and I can't afford it. It's an absolute disgrace.'

'They should be a place where people can go to buy affordable clothing and where people can support a cause or charity,' she added.

Other users commented on Nicole's video and expressed the same sentiments as her with one sharing: ‘I saw a long tulle skirt. It was badly shredded at the back and stained and was [priced] $50.'

While another shared: 'A guy wanted to buy a towel—it was $8 [at the op shop], but at Kmart, they are $2.50 [and brand] new.'

'I found a secondhand phone case and I thought it said $8. No, it was $80—I was like nope!' A third said.

And a fourth added: 'Today I saw a beaten up dinner set for $80 at my local op shop.'

You can watch Nicole’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

Just a few months ago, one Vinnies shop in Sydney was at the centre of a similar controversy after it was found to be selling a designer T-shirt for $350. The price tag was later changed to $100 after the store said it was a misprint.

In July, another Vinnies in Mayfield, Newcastle experienced a similar backlash after selling a second-hand jacket for $75.

'They just used to be affordable for those who can't buy things at the full price. It's disappointing to see inflation has really taken over,' one commented.

While another claimed: 'Vinnies is the most expensive op shop.'

Furthermore, another op shop in Queensland had people in uproar after it was discovered to be selling a pair of shoes for a whopping $500!
Key Takeaways
  • A mum of sixhas criticised secondhand shops for increasing their prices.
  • Nicole Preece shared her experience on social media, highlighting how she and others were struggling to afford items in op shops, which she states should be helping the community during the current cost-of-living crisis.
  • Preece gave examples of overpriced items she had encountered in these shops, including a dinnerware set priced at $250 and many other users shared similar experiences in the comments.
  • The issue appears to be widespread, with Vinnies shops in Sydney and Newcastle also coming under fire for pricing used items at up to $500.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever come across an unreasonably priced item at an op shop? Share your discovery with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Almost 60 years ago, when I was 16 I lived with my aunt in the city where I worked (my parents lived in the country).
My aunt volunteered at local op shop and I used to knit baby booties, dolls clothes and small children's jumpers for her to take to the shop, until I found out that they never made it into the store, the so called volunteers were taking them for a miserly 20 cents. Probably paid for the button on the back of the jumper.
Pretty lousy as they were all new.
Didn't bother to do any more after that.

Reactions: magpie1
I totally agree. I used to take my donations to Vinnie's, but I then found a small church op shop, where the prices were excellent and now when I go down to Perth I drop off my things there.
I bought a few ornaments, 3 t-shirts
,6 DVDs and a couple of stuffed toys for my dogs for a grand total of $12.
I was so pleased I told them to keep the change from my ,$20, and it was still a bargain.
I use to do the same at Vinnies and Salvos, after buying items give extra as a donation which can also be done via eftpos.

Vinnies do operate their primary OP Shop, but also realised the was a demand for higher end products and were often those that could afford would pay a higher price for such items, ie a dress that may have retailed for $400 worn once could still be sold to a buy for $150-200 without question. Unfortunately the world of clothing in now driven by 'fast fashion' an item is purchased for a special occasion, gets worn once or twice, still holds a high value. Hence, Vinnies set up a Pre Loved Clothing store as did the Red Cross. Don't shop in the high end op shops expecting to bag a $400 dress for $25. The funds raised are used for supporting their various charity arms, still have to pay to dispose of more rubbish that is dumped on them than they can sell, dirty clothing, broken toys, unwashed bed linen (people use them to rid themself of rubbish that they should put in a rubbish bin). Charities still pay rent, utilities and do still pay some of the staff operating their sites. Paid staff are there to ensure a fair price is applied and to stop the private second hand stores from buying up the bargains to then put of ebay or gumtree at 100's of times the charity shop purchase price. If you don't think the price is fair don't buy, move on.

Almost 60 years ago, when I was 16 I lived with my aunt in the city where I worked (my parents lived in the country).
My aunt volunteered at local op shop and I used to knit baby booties, dolls clothes and small children's jumpers for her to take to the shop, until I found out that they never made it into the store, the so called volunteers were taking them for a miserly 20 cents. Probably paid for the button on the back of the jumper.
Pretty lousy as they were all new.
Didn't bother to do any more after that.
very anecdotal 'evidence' (commentary) there. Not much truth in it, as ALL charity shops sell hand knitted items that have been donated. Volunteers are entitled to buy, but the site operators ensure they pay the price and policy of most is the item must go on display and if still there at end of day, volunteers buy at the ticket price.

very anecdotal 'evidence' (commentary) there. Not much truth in it, as ALL charity shops sell hand knitted items that have been donated. Volunteers are entitled to buy, but the site operators ensure they pay the price and policy of most is the item must go on display and if still there at end of day, volunteers buy at the ticket price.
I know that shops now make staff pay the proper price, I volunteer in one myself
60 years ago this was not the case. Why would I bother to make this statement if it wasn't true.
How dare you call me a liar.

Reactions: Trouble1
With the cost of living soaring as of late, many know all too well just how hard it is to make ends meet.

It's for this reason that op shops can be such an oasis during these trying times as they provide an opportunity—hence the name—to avail of affordable clothing, furniture, toys, and more, in order to help people stretch their budget further.

This is why the recent trend of price hiking in op shops has led Nicole Preece, a devoted mother of six, to slam the outlets on social media.

View attachment 30990
A mum shared her disappointment over the alleged price hike on items being sold in op shops. Image source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

In the video, Nicole expressed her disappointment and highlighted exactly how much secondhand clothing is increasing in price, mentioning one instance where she saw a dinnerware set priced at a whopping $250!

She said: 'Are my eyes deceiving me, is this tea set from Buckingham Palace?'

Nicole claims to have donated and shopped regularly at op shops since she was a child. She also stressed that people now need op shops more than ever due to the increase in the cost of living.

'Op shops are meant to be about helping the community', Nicole said.

'It's now got to the point that I'm walking into op shops, and I can't afford it. It's an absolute disgrace.'

'They should be a place where people can go to buy affordable clothing and where people can support a cause or charity,' she added.

Other users commented on Nicole's video and expressed the same sentiments as her with one sharing: ‘I saw a long tulle skirt. It was badly shredded at the back and stained and was [priced] $50.'

While another shared: 'A guy wanted to buy a towel—it was $8 [at the op shop], but at Kmart, they are $2.50 [and brand] new.'

'I found a secondhand phone case and I thought it said $8. No, it was $80—I was like nope!' A third said.

And a fourth added: 'Today I saw a beaten up dinner set for $80 at my local op shop.'

You can watch Nicole’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@aussiemumto6.

Just a few months ago, one Vinnies shop in Sydney was at the centre of a similar controversy after it was found to be selling a designer T-shirt for $350. The price tag was later changed to $100 after the store said it was a misprint.

In July, another Vinnies in Mayfield, Newcastle experienced a similar backlash after selling a second-hand jacket for $75.

'They just used to be affordable for those who can't buy things at the full price. It's disappointing to see inflation has really taken over,' one commented.

While another claimed: 'Vinnies is the most expensive op shop.'

Furthermore, another op shop in Queensland had people in uproar after it was discovered to be selling a pair of shoes for a whopping $500!
Key Takeaways

• A mum of sixhas criticised secondhand shops for increasing their prices.
  • Nicole Preece shared her experience on social media, highlighting how she and others were struggling to afford items in op shops, which she states should be helping the community during the current cost-of-living crisis.
  • Preece gave examples of overpriced items she had encountered in these shops, including a dinnerware set priced at $250 and many other users shared similar experiences in the comments.
  • The issue appears to be widespread, with Vinnies shops in Sydney and Newcastle also coming under fire for pricing used items at up to $500.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Have you ever come across an unreasonably priced item at an op shop? Share your discovery with us in the comments below!

Greed is a wonderful thing, especially when saint vinnies use it.

Couldnt agree more
I personally do a op-shop bin drop at least twice a year (discarding old clothes, toys etc that my son has out grown.
These are donations.... I do not charge them for these item same as everyone else
so all item in the store are acquired for free... meaning they can be dispensed with for minimal outlay to those who need it.
These item are usually second hand, not new and offer no warranty or exchange or any other options so I do not understand why things from them are so expensive.
I do of course realize they have overheads to meet like rent etc and they are always on the increase....
but this price hike they seem to have adopted is well and truly above what is necessary.

For shame, for shameI wonder if the op shops get free or reduced rent because they’re under the auspices of charities? And if they do, the further shame on them.

I know that shops now make staff pay the proper price, I volunteer in one myself
60 years ago this was not the case. Why would I bother to make this statement if it wasn't true.
How dare you call me a liar.
and I actually work (paid) role with one of the organisations (not in shop) in policy where the decisions are made. So I stick with my initial correction of your statement.

I live in an area know as a Centrelink suburb as there are a lot of elderly residents and even more Centrelink recipients. There are 7 or 8 op-shops in the local shopping area and all have ridiculous prices on all their merchandise.
The Salvos store does sell their children's clothing for $1.00 a piece unless it is outstanding and even then it isn't priced over $10.00. But the adult clothing prices are outrageous as is the price on furniture and brick-a-brack. They also have an online store to sell high end clothing on as they know they can't sell it in store for the price they want. Was told by an employee that the store is now run as a business and it is more about the profit they make every week than it is about helping the needy or under privileged.
The other op-shops clothing and furniture prices are also out of reach for most people doing it tough and trying desperately to make ends meet on Centrelink payments.
Personally I just wait for end of yr sales at K-mart, can buy clothing so much cheaper then.

and I actually work (paid) role with one of the organisations (not in shop) in policy where the decisions are made. So I stick with my initial correction of your statement.
Oh my, you actually work in one of the paid roles, bully for you. I'm surprised that they let such rude people work for them.
You can stick by anything you like, you do not know me, what state I'm talking, which shop I am talking about, or maybe you have telepathic powers and you do know all those details from 60 years ago.
You really are a twerp!!!

When questioning the price of a t shirt in an op shop the volunteer told my friend "we are not a charity you know!" ....really?.....sorry....my mistake.....
What a stupid reply. Do they think they are working for Myers?
This is so sad that the people that really need the cheaper clothes/items can't get it from an organisation that is supposed to help them. All I can say is Shame........ Shame........... Shame.......

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I think it's been forgotten op shops were setup to help the poor and disadvantaged be able to afford clothes and shoes. In a world now where charity executives receive ridiculous salaries, this is what is fuelling the higher prices. It's quite disgraceful when you see items from places like K Mart priced at more than the original price. I've seen this many times in my local op shop. You have to be more discerning now to shop in op shops. I have started shopping at a new online site called Temu - the value is really good, the itemsare cheap, items are new and you get free shipping. Win all the way round!
Temu is under investigation for selling credit card numbers and selling email addresses and personal data, I don't care, I still use them.too. cheap and good quality.

• Wow
Reactions: Iggydi