Outrageous hidden fees at Woolworths exposed by shopper – Here’s what you need to know

Whether emerging from a regular health check or as a result of years of discomfort when diagnosed with certain diseases such as gluten intolerance, lifestyle changes are in order. Adapting to a new way of eating can be one of the most difficult adjustments to make.

Unfortunately, it can also be an expensive one.

A fed-up Woolworths customer recently brought this issue to light after sharing on the social media platform Reddit the hefty bill he received for his modest grocery shop, which amounted to an astounding $100 for just 13 items.

It wasn't long before his frustration resonated with fellow coeliacs and gluten-intolerant individuals.

gluten1.jpg
People with coeliac disease must avoid gluten. Credit: Mariana Kurnyk/Pexels

‘Unbelievable,’ he captioned the image of his purchase.

His dietary restrictions, shared with millions of Australians, left him stuck with higher prices for 'gluten-free' versions of everyday items.

Upon further discussion, the customer revealed that he suffers from coeliac disease – which is an autoimmune disorder that causes painful reactions upon ingesting gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley.

‘Over the last two decades, it's gotten easier to eat the stuff but more expensive to do so. I get hammered with surcharges that I don't get to choose,’ the shopper explained.

With no choice but to purchase gluten-free products, he found himself paying a premium for his groceries.

It turns out he's not alone.

gluten2.jpg
The shopper shared this photo alongside his post. Credit: Reddit

Fellow coeliacs chimed in with their frustrations. ‘As a person with coeliac, these prices suck,’ one Reddit user commented.

‘It does. I'm poor. And we NEED to eat GF [gluten-free],’ another echoed.

While someone said that maybe the shopper could have avoided high prices if they had shopped somewhere else.

To which another person replied: ‘You can't really fault them for shopping at Woolies, we've only got a max of like four different options in a given city, and they might only be near a Woolies.

‘Oh, you have an allergy? That will cost you,’ another quipped.

Australians with gluten sensitivities are taking a hit in their wallets. Coeliac Australia states that around one in 70 Aussies have coeliac disease, and a further 11 per cent follow a gluten-free diet.

In total, almost 3 million people in the country are forced to pay extra at the supermarket checkout.

A 2016 study by researchers from the University of Wollongong revealed that gluten-free households spend 17 per cent more on groceries than their gluten-consuming peers, and that gap hasn't narrowed in the years since.

Financial comparison site Mozo explains that manufacturers face additional costs for dedicated facilities to produce gluten-free items, and retailers often target a relatively small market segment, offering little motivation to lower prices.

Some gluten-free products, such as bread, also require more ingredients, increasing production expenses.

But there is a silver lining for our gluten-free friends.

A membership with Coeliac Australia provides access to a range of discounts and special offers for dining out and shopping at participating businesses across the nation.

Woolworths serves as the official supermarket partner of Coeliac Australia, granting members a 5 per cent discount off participating gluten-free products in-store, online, and at participating Woolworths Metro outlets.

While this might not eliminate the price disparity entirely, it can significantly reduce the burden on your grocery budget.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, it's our mission to keep you informed about the deals and discounts that matter to you. You can find participating Woolies products here.

Shopping for gluten-free products at Woolworths with a Coeliac Australia membership might just help save a few dollars, making life that little bit easier for our members who face the daily challenge of living with dietary restrictions.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper voiced his frustration at the high cost of his grocery shop due to his coeliac disease and the need for gluten-free products.
  • Fellow coeliacs shared similar grievances about the high prices of gluten-free items.
  • Around one in 70 Australians have coeliac disease, and 11 per cent follow a gluten-free diet, meaning nearly 3 million people are paying extra at the supermarket.
  • Coeliac Australia members have access to discounts and special offers at participating businesses, including a 5 per cent discount off participating gluten-free products at Woolworths.
Have you noticed these hidden fees while shopping for groceries? Share your thoughts about this story in the comments below!

Sponsored
His advice was correct. Avoid all grains which includes oats, breads, pasta and cereals, avoid all rice which is a grain, eliminate all sugar from the diet and that includes fruit which is heavily laden with Fructose which is sugar (apart from the berry family they are good in moderation), reduce carbohydrates drastically and consume plenty of good fats, cruciferous vegetables (no starchy vegetables like potatoes), leafy greens, salads and a moderate amount of good protein.

Apart from boosting your metabolic health and dropping a few kilos at the same time, the very nature of eating this way means you will avoid gluten altogether. Lots of good people to research and look at their podcasts are Dr Eric Berg, Dr Sten Ekberg, Dr Stephen Gundry, Low Carb Down Under (a symposium of doctors and allied health professionals).

They talk about foods, the body, the diet, eating well, foods to avoid and foods to eat, and is all backed by clinical studies and research.

Thought I would take the time out to send you this message as I'm quite passionate about this and every little bit of information can go a long way.

Kind Regards
That's good it works for you.
Being a celiac is more complex than simply eliminating food groups. My sister in law sometimes gets iron deficiency anaemia that requires an iron infusion. This is regardless of how much meat or iron containing vegetables she eats.
Celiac is a complex disorder, which requires them to not adhere to 'diets'.

Being a celiac is more complex than simply eliminating food groups. My sister in law sometimes gets iron deficiency anaemia that requires an iron infusion. This is regardless of how much meat or iron containing vegetables she eats.

Yes, I hear what you are saying and sometimes diets etc don't quite cut it. The only advice I would continue to give is that keto at a minimum eliminates high carbs, sugar and grains. These are a continual blocker to the body's standard health by the way in which it utilises nutrients, provides energy, the way it naturally repairs itself and can be a cause of many diseases. It's just that western lifestyle does not allow it to.

I'm not a medical professional so I can't provide any advice with authority, however I still believe that whatever it is that she needs to do in terms of medical treatments, by complimenting it with good eating habits will only support her health.

The purpose of my post is to just provide you with the impetus to explore some of these things a little more closely (you may have already however). Hope all goes well.

Reactions: Penny4
I’m the same. Trying to find products for all 3 is daunting. I regularly recheck ingredients as they sometimes change. Dining out is a nightmare. I rarely bother and too expensive. Tolerable Foods usually have more salt or sugar as well and my blood tests are getting worse. I’m already careful with what I eat within my tolerances, so adjusting anymore would be a nightmare. I cook most of my own food from scratch as it is. Even The meds I wAs just prescribed contain both some lactose and soy. I reacted. Where does it end. Even meds are intolerable and it’s v hard to get ones without at least one intolerable ingredient. 🤷‍♀️
lactose in heart meds- it took 3 brands before one without making me ill within 20 minutes but I am paying 4 times more for it. And on limited outcome, that is a lot extra every month.

Last edited: