Outrageous $600k Hurdle: Aussie’s battle for life-saving cancer treatment

For many of us at the Seniors Discount Club, family is everything. We understand the lengths one could go just to protect and ensure the well-being of our loved ones—especially when it comes to their health.

Speaking of health, the case of Australian father Geoff Nyssen has recently caught our attention. Nyssen is battling myeloma cancer, a form of blood cancer. The only treatment readily available in Australia has failed, and doctors have now given him as little as 12 months to live—unless he can access another treatment currently only available through clinical trials.

1685331396785.png
Families often face significant emotional and financial hardships due to the burden of medical expenses. Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko

His story highlights the need for better and more affordable access to life-saving treatments within Australia, as many people, such as Geoff, are forced to contemplate draining their life savings—and potentially leave their families destitute—just for a chance to stay alive.

Diagnosed with multiple myeloma at the age of 40 in 2014, Geoff was initially given a 10-year prognosis. He has been undergoing chemotherapy, but it has stopped being effective after multiple rounds. His doctor has now suggested that he try a form of immunotherapy known as CAR T-cell therapy, which is not publicly funded in Australia.

Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell therapy (CAR T-cell therapy) multiplies the immune system’s T-cells, helping the body attack cancer. Though approved in Australia to treat some forms of leukaemia and lymphoma, myeloma patients like Geoff can only access it through clinical trials.

One of the roadblocks to receiving this treatment is the hefty $600,000 price tag, which does not include the additional costs associated with flights, accommodation, and other potential expenses that will pile up if Geoff chooses to pursue the treatment in the United States.

'If I was to pass away, having sold my house in pursuit of this treatment, I’d leave my family destitute, and that’s just not feasible to me,' Geoff said.

It is worth noting that the Therapeutic Good Administration (TGA) has already turned down a 2022 application to subsidise CAR T-cell therapy for myeloma. However, Myeloma Australia, which has been lobbying for its approval, hopes to submit another application later this year.

Meanwhile, Nyssen has written to the Federal Government, asking for the therapy to be fast-tracked for approval or for support to enable him to receive treatment overseas.

'I’m clinging onto hope,' he said. 'I’ve got a young family, and my thoughts are with them because you need to have your dad around...that’s where my pain sits.'

Federal Health Minister Mark Butler has commented on the situation, stating that while bringing new health technology into Australia doesn't happen overnight, the government is aware of the challenge and is working methodically towards making CAR T-cell therapy for myeloma more accessible for more Australians.

Government Initiatives and Support for Families Facing Financial Hardships​

The emotional and financial burden of medical expenses can be especially hard for families, especially when treatments are not available in their home country. With skyrocketing medical costs and the rising expense of medical travel overseas, many families are looking to the government for support.

The Australian Federal Government is investing in initiatives for families facing medical hardship. Such initiatives include subsidies and support payments, medical travel grant schemes and tax relief initiatives. These schemes provide critical financial assistance to those who are suffering financially due to medical bills and treatments. Funds are also allocated toward research initiatives to help progress the development of new treatments and to ensure wider access.

Additionally, the government operates several safety nets providing financial assistance to families who might otherwise not be able to pay for healthcare treatment. These include Medicare safety net payments for those facing particularly large bills and hardship grants to cover accommodation and transport costs for those in rural and remote areas.

These initiatives provide an extra helping hand.

Key Takeaways
  • Father-of-two Geoff Nyssen faces a life-and-death decision as he considers selling his family home to fund a $600,000 cancer treatment not yet available in Australia.
  • The treatment, CAR T-cell therapy, has shown promise in treating multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer that Nyssen was diagnosed with in 2014.
  • Myeloma Australia plans to submit another application for the treatment's approval and public funding later this year.
  • Federal Health Minister Mark Butler said the government is working with state governments to make CAR T-cell therapy more accessible for Australians.
In the face of such adversity, we genuinely hope Geoff receives the necessary help and treatment he requires. This story not only demonstrates the remarkable love of a father fighting for his life but also underscores the significance of advocating for improved and more accessible healthcare options for all Australians.

And to Geoff, please know that our thoughts and well-wishes accompany you throughout this difficult and courageous battle.

What actions can we take as a community to promote better healthcare access and support for individuals facing similar challenges in light of Geoff's story? Share your insights and ideas on creating a more inclusive and compassionate healthcare system that benefits all Australians.

Sponsored
Mybe Geoff could als
For many of us at the Seniors Discount Club, family is everything. We understand the lengths one could go just to protect and ensure the well-being of our loved ones—especially when it comes to their health.

Speaking of health, the case of Australian father Geoff Nyssen has recently caught our attention. Nyssen is battling myeloma cancer, a form of blood cancer. The only treatment readily available in Australia has failed, and doctors have now given him as little as 12 months to live—unless he can access another treatment currently only available through clinical trials.

View attachment 20889
Families often face significant emotional and financial hardships due to the burden of medical expenses. Photo by Tima Miroshnichenko

His story highlights the need for better and more affordable access to life-saving treatments within Australia, as many people, such as Geoff, are forced to contemplate draining their life savings—and potentially leave their families destitute—just for a chance to stay alive.

Diagnosed with multiple myeloma at the age of 40 in 2014, Geoff was initially given a 10-year prognosis. He has been undergoing chemotherapy, but it has stopped being effective after multiple rounds. His doctor has now suggested that he try a form of immunotherapy known as CAR T-cell therapy, which is not publicly funded in Australia.

Chimeric Antigen Receptor T-cell therapy (CAR T-cell therapy) multiplies the immune system’s T-cells, helping the body attack cancer. Though approved in Australia to treat some forms of leukaemia and lymphoma, myeloma patients like Geoff can only access it through clinical trials.

One of the roadblocks to receiving this treatment is the hefty $600,000 price tag, which does not include the additional costs associated with flights, accommodation, and other potential expenses that will pile up if Geoff chooses to pursue the treatment in the United States.

'If I was to pass away, having sold my house in pursuit of this treatment, I’d leave my family destitute, and that’s just not feasible to me,' Geoff said.

It is worth noting that the Therapeutic Good Administration (TGA) has already turned down a 2022 application to subsidise CAR T-cell therapy for myeloma. However, Myeloma Australia, which has been lobbying for its approval, hopes to submit another application later this year.

Meanwhile, Nyssen has written to the Federal Government, asking for the therapy to be fast-tracked for approval or for support to enable him to receive treatment overseas.

'I’m clinging onto hope,' he said. 'I’ve got a young family, and my thoughts are with them because you need to have your dad around...that’s where my pain sits.'

Federal Health Minister Mark Butler has commented on the situation, stating that while bringing new health technology into Australia doesn't happen overnight, the government is aware of the challenge and is working methodically towards making CAR T-cell therapy for myeloma more accessible for more Australians.

The emotional and financial burden of medical expenses can be especially hard for families, especially when treatments are not available in their home country. With skyrocketing medical costs and the rising expense of medical travel overseas, many families are looking to the government for support.

The Australian Federal Government is investing in initiatives for families facing medical hardship. Such initiatives include subsidies and support payments, medical travel grant schemes and tax relief initiatives. These schemes provide critical financial assistance to those who are suffering financially due to medical bills and treatments. Funds are also allocated toward research initiatives to help progress the development of new treatments and to ensure wider access.

Additionally, the government operates several safety nets providing financial assistance to families who might otherwise not be able to pay for healthcare treatment. These include Medicare safety net payments for those facing particularly large bills and hardship grants to cover accommodation and transport costs for those in rural and remote areas.

Key Takeaways

• Father-of-two Geoff Nyssen faces a life-and-death decision as he considers selling his family home to fund a $600,000 cancer treatment not yet available in Australia.
  • The treatment, CAR T-cell therapy, has shown promise in treating multiple myeloma, a form of blood cancer that Nyssen was diagnosed with in 2014.
  • Myeloma Australia plans to submit another application for the treatment's approval and public funding later this year.
  • Federal Health Minister Mark Butler said the government is working with state governments to make CAR T-cell therapy more accessible for Australians.
In the face of such adversity, we genuinely hope Geoff receives the necessary help and treatment he requires. This story not only demonstrates the remarkable love of a father fighting for his life but also underscores the significance of advocating for improved and more accessible healthcare options for all Australians.

And to Geoff, please know that our thoughts and well-wishes accompany you throughout this difficult and courageous battle.

What actions can we take as a community to promote better healthcare access and support for individuals facing similar challenges in light of Geoff's story? Share your insights and ideas on creating a more inclusive and compassionate healthcare system that benefits all Australians.
o

View attachment 20889

Key Takeaways

View attachment 20889

Key Takeaways

You know this is totally obnoxious. These unelected bureaucrats sit in their ivory towers in Canberra and at the stroke of a pen decide our lives and living conditions while collecting a salary that most of us can only dream about. I'm 73 years old and have watched on as the big junk food, big cereal, big Pharma and the medical profession spent time and money convincing us of what we should eat. All it did was make us sick and now they want to profit off that. I find it totally disgusting that these people can cause health issues then the bureaucrats can just sit there and support their sales of drugs and pills at exorbitant prices the average person cannot afford. Little wonder the medical and hospital system is broken. For many it's too late change but for some there is hope but lots won't do anything because they believe the rabbiting that comes out of the mouths of those who get paid to keep us sick. It is no longer health care it is sick care and it is costing most people a small fortune to access it. Beggars belief what they will do for a dollar