Outraged guest reveals bride's shocking wedding charge: 'She is out of her mind!'

Weddings are often a time of joy and celebration, a chance to witness the union of two people in love.

However, one bride's decision to charge her guests to attend her wedding has sparked a heated debate about wedding etiquette and the true meaning of hospitality.

The controversy came to light when a friend of the bride shared her disbelief on social media after receiving a wedding invitation with a price tag attached.

'One of my closest friends is getting married and charging her guests to attend the wedding,' she said.

'I always knew she was cheap, so in some ways, I am not surprised.'

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 10.17.25 AM.png
A woman shared a wedding invitation with a price tag attached. Image source: freepic.diller on Freepik.

The invitation offered three RSVP options: attending the wedding with an 'envelope fee' of $65, attending only the ceremony, or not being able to attend at all.

The fee, which was not explained in the invitation, was discovered to cover the cost of food, music, decorations, and the venue.

The bride's approach to her special day didn't stop there. Guests were also expected to pay for a pre-wedding dinner and had the option to stay overnight at the venue for an additional cost.

'If you want to sleep over at the venue, you need to pay around $100, which applies for the night between the pre-dinner, and the wedding day/night after the wedding, so in total $200,' she explained.

'I guess these prices are okay, since nobody is forcing you to attend that dinner and/or sleeping over.'

'But if I am invited to a wedding, I shouldn’t have to pay to attend the actual wedding?!'

On top this, the couple also had a page where guests could choose to contribute money to a gift.

'It says, “gifts are not needed but welcome”—but who would pay for a gift after they have to pay to attend the wedding?'

The woman said that if a guest were to attend the whole event and contribute to a gift, 'It would cost a guest at least $300.'

And if a guest needed to buy an outfit, the cost would go up to about $400.

She also added that the worst part was she knew the couple had money.

According to the friend, the bride had inherited a significant sum of money and, along with her engineer fiancé, was well-off, owning a house and a boat, and even undergoing home renovations.

'I suspect they can afford both the renovation and the wedding; they are just trying to play it safe.'

'She also told me her goal is to be rich.'

The friend, who had known the bride for 12 years, expressed her sadness over the situation, stating that she would only attend the ceremony as she 'absolutely refuses to pay' to be part of the wedding reception.

The post quickly garnered attention, with many users expressing their disapproval, labelling the bride's actions as 'tasteless and tacky'.

'I would send my regrets and my congratulations, and that’s it. The bride is out of her freaking mind,' one replied.

'Just decline. Say you’re busy that day. You won’t be the only one,' another added.

While a third said: 'RSVP to miss the whole thing and send her an etiquette book as a wedding gift.'
Key Takeaways
  • A bride has faced backlash for charging her guests a fee to attend her wedding reception, sparking debate on a Reddit forum.
  • Guests were given RSVP options that included a fee for attending the wedding reception, with additional costs for pre-wedding dinner and accommodation at the venue.
  • The invitation did not clarify the reason for the charges, but a quick online search indicated it covered food, music, decorations, and the venue.
  • The move was widely criticised by commenters as tasteless and tacky, with some suggesting the guest simply decline the invitation or make a point by gifting the bride an etiquette book.
What are your thoughts on these charges, dear members? Have you experienced something similar before? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I think it's very rude to ask a guest for money although most people give money as a gift now anyway . She should have been happy with whatever she got.

We give way more than $65 .

We went to a wedding two weeks ago , my kids rented a house which for one night cost $1400 but devided between 7 couples ment $200 a couple plus each couple gave $400 in a card

We stayed at our daughters and gave $500 in a card . It was a Nieces wedding and a Nephew is getting married in Sydney in May and we will give him $500 in a card and my kids will give $400 each couple

I've heard of people charging 'guests' who RSVP'p that they would attend, but didn't.

Because the venue charges for the number of guests that they have been told will arrive, regardless if they do or not.

This may be a simple misunderstanding regarding the so called envelope fee.

However, if not, then I hope the happy couple like solitude, because I suspect that they will have quite a bit in their future.

I was going to say I get it. However, the more I read this, the less I like the idea.
We have been to a wedding where everything was done on a shoe string budget, and, we were invited to contribute to the wedding by offering a money gift instead of buying a present. We were more than happy to do that as we knew the couple did their best to offer their friends and families a happy event. They succeeded in their endeavours.
Instead of a table full of gifts that may never be used by the couple, there was a lovely hand made wishing well with a special few words of thanks displayed in front. I knew nobody who begrudged offering cash as a gift, and, we had a cracker of a night.
My feeling is the wedding reported here is a case of keeping up appearances for the sake of social media and fake display of wealth. In fact, I feel sorry for their misguided approach to the whole thing and may very well end up with egg of their face.
Each to their own I guess. If I was invited to this one, I don't think I would even make it to the ceremony. I ain't classy enuff.

How sad that what should be a happy occasion with family and friends is reduced to "how much can you afford to pay". We had a garden wedding, catered by a friend and everyone helped. It was a great day and no one went broke in the process. All our friends took photos and had double prints made for us and we got some great photos. My sister in law (bridesmaid) decorated our wedding arch with many tissue roses she made and which looked like real flowers. All in all a very enjoyable day.

Under no circumstances attend even the ceremony. Perhaps when she finds that no one is coming to her wedding she will think again, She can obviously afford to pay for a nice small wedding with family and friends and if done right it doesn’t cost thousands. Cut out all the “in” rubbish and gifts for attendees, sugared almonds used to be given in a little bag. Nothing fancy. Keep it simple and don’t tell the caterers it’s a wedding or the price doubles! She needs a big kick into reality and manners/etiquette. You do NOT invite people to come to a party for you and then ask them to pay to do so. She sounds like one day she may be rich, but she will be all alone as she will have lost every true friend.

RSVP that you'll go to the wedding and reception. Don't pay. Eat/drink more than you want. Leave and still don't pay. Is this cheap tightwad bride going to tackle you to the ground? Probably not but if she does you can ensure she spends her honeymoon in jail.
Afterwards never get into any conversation about paying or not. Just walk away.

I find that extremely rude,,,you don't under any circumstances ask your guests to pay for things you want,,you are inviting guests so you pay,,most guests give money these days,,,we went to a wedding last year and put $500 in a card,,if that is not enough then to bad,,,,don't think there will be many at this wedding,,,I definitely wouldn't go,,not even to the actual ceremony

Married!!!! they got to be crazy..... 50% of marriages end up in divorce with the wife waking off with your assets..... bugger that......

• Wow
Reactions: Iggydi
"A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED". BUT SHE IS NEITHER!!!

PERHAPS A RSVP COULD BE, 'Maybe next time'.

Not the correct response perhaps, but l am sure the message would get through to her & her fiance.

Reactions: Iggydi and gamiry
I think it's very rude to ask a guest for money although most people give money as a gift now anyway . She should have been happy with whatever she got.

We give way more than $65 .

We went to a wedding two weeks ago , my kids rented a house which for one night cost $1400 but devided between 7 couples ment $200 a couple plus each couple gave $400 in a card

We stayed at our daughters and gave $500 in a card . It was a Nieces wedding and a Nephew is getting married in Sydney in May and we will give him $500 in a card and my kids will give $400 each couple
obviously more money than I've got.

Reactions: Iggydi and Ezzy