Outraged guest reveals bride's shocking wedding charge: 'She is out of her mind!'

Weddings are often a time of joy and celebration, a chance to witness the union of two people in love.

However, one bride's decision to charge her guests to attend her wedding has sparked a heated debate about wedding etiquette and the true meaning of hospitality.

The controversy came to light when a friend of the bride shared her disbelief on social media after receiving a wedding invitation with a price tag attached.

'One of my closest friends is getting married and charging her guests to attend the wedding,' she said.

'I always knew she was cheap, so in some ways, I am not surprised.'

Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 10.17.25 AM.png
A woman shared a wedding invitation with a price tag attached. Image source: freepic.diller on Freepik.

The invitation offered three RSVP options: attending the wedding with an 'envelope fee' of $65, attending only the ceremony, or not being able to attend at all.

The fee, which was not explained in the invitation, was discovered to cover the cost of food, music, decorations, and the venue.

The bride's approach to her special day didn't stop there. Guests were also expected to pay for a pre-wedding dinner and had the option to stay overnight at the venue for an additional cost.

'If you want to sleep over at the venue, you need to pay around $100, which applies for the night between the pre-dinner, and the wedding day/night after the wedding, so in total $200,' she explained.

'I guess these prices are okay, since nobody is forcing you to attend that dinner and/or sleeping over.'

'But if I am invited to a wedding, I shouldn’t have to pay to attend the actual wedding?!'

On top this, the couple also had a page where guests could choose to contribute money to a gift.

'It says, “gifts are not needed but welcome”—but who would pay for a gift after they have to pay to attend the wedding?'

The woman said that if a guest were to attend the whole event and contribute to a gift, 'It would cost a guest at least $300.'

And if a guest needed to buy an outfit, the cost would go up to about $400.

She also added that the worst part was she knew the couple had money.

According to the friend, the bride had inherited a significant sum of money and, along with her engineer fiancé, was well-off, owning a house and a boat, and even undergoing home renovations.

'I suspect they can afford both the renovation and the wedding; they are just trying to play it safe.'

'She also told me her goal is to be rich.'

The friend, who had known the bride for 12 years, expressed her sadness over the situation, stating that she would only attend the ceremony as she 'absolutely refuses to pay' to be part of the wedding reception.

The post quickly garnered attention, with many users expressing their disapproval, labelling the bride's actions as 'tasteless and tacky'.

'I would send my regrets and my congratulations, and that’s it. The bride is out of her freaking mind,' one replied.

'Just decline. Say you’re busy that day. You won’t be the only one,' another added.

While a third said: 'RSVP to miss the whole thing and send her an etiquette book as a wedding gift.'
Key Takeaways
  • A bride has faced backlash for charging her guests a fee to attend her wedding reception, sparking debate on a Reddit forum.
  • Guests were given RSVP options that included a fee for attending the wedding reception, with additional costs for pre-wedding dinner and accommodation at the venue.
  • The invitation did not clarify the reason for the charges, but a quick online search indicated it covered food, music, decorations, and the venue.
  • The move was widely criticised by commenters as tasteless and tacky, with some suggesting the guest simply decline the invitation or make a point by gifting the bride an etiquette book.
What are your thoughts on these charges, dear members? Have you experienced something similar before? Share your thoughts and stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Etiquette is to give roughly what it cost per head.

If you can't afford to go to the wedding then maybe not go.

Hubby invited two female friends, mine not his. They were sisters who went on world cruises and holidays and were pretty rich yet they came to my daughters wedding 4 years ago which I had told him not to invite them but he did.
They gave a card with $50 in it for the two of them. It cost $145 ahead with amazing food and drink . There was no way they could even buy fast food for the $25 each.

I think $100 a head is a good ammount

Reactions: Iggydi and IAN3005
My first marriage was in a park with a celebrant then reception in local hall.only thing we asked of our friends was byo drink and drugs.🤣a good time had by all.

How disrespectful expecting guests to pay, it always is the people with money who are greedy, but how did they get money, by being selfish. Send sorry I can't got no money.

Reactions: Iggydi
Scum of the earth.....still. marriage is for the bees....
For heaven's sake keep the lawyers out of the picture as they are in it only for the buck and will draw it out!!!
When I got divorced I told the lawyer up front I was interested in getting it over and done with ASAP as it was lambs to the slaughter. Cost me $3,000.