Outrage sparks over Woolworths meat display: ‘I will never go back’

When dropping into Woolworths for some grocery shopping, many are on the lookout for a good deal.

However, one NSW shopper recently stumbled upon a detail that left them ‘dry retching’, sparking an intense debate.

The shopper was surprised to find an ‘unhygienic’ display at their local Woolworths: they found chilled pet food next to meat for human consumption in the store.

This led the shopper to voice their dismay on social media.

In a photograph shared by the Woolies shopper, it showed that three shelves of pet products were placed next to the store’s pork range, which included roasts and ham.

f167e006211c33e1a45e5802af158f58292bfe42-4x3-x0y0w1040h780.jpg
A Woolworths shopper shared a Facebook photo of pet food alongside pork cuts in their local store's meat section. Image source: Facebook

In the post, the shopper said they would not return to that particular Woolworths in the future.

‘Since when is Woolworths Bonnyrigg—or any supermarket—allowed to put animal meat next to the meat we eat?’ they wrote on social media.

‘This is so just dry retching, unhygienic. I will never go back. I just can’t.’

One user agreed, adding: ‘That’s disgusting.’

However, while the discovery left some people stunned, it appears that others remained unfazed.

Many saw no issue with placing pet food and human meat together in the same display.

‘It’s all wrapped/sealed, so it can’t get contaminated,’ one said. ‘Butchers have dog bones, mince in the same section as other meat. There’s no issue.’

Another added: ‘It is the same as people who buy this for their pet and keep it home in their own fridge. It’s securely packaged, so it’s not that bad.’

A third wrote: ‘Meat all comes from the same place. Some parts are for human consumption, some for pets, the rest goes to use in other products.’

One more responded: ‘I am sure you can eat either, it won’t kill you.’

Another said: ‘It’s no big deal as far as I’m concerned.’

Meanwhile, the shopper who posted the photo insisted that they were right. ‘You’re missing the point—-it’s unhygienic and not allowed,’ they wrote.

3adaee54fcde50ae9c18a1bb102860271e26d114-4x3-x0y52w996h747.png
The shopper found it unhygienic and disgusting to see both meat sections stored adjacent to each other. Image source: Facebook

Responding to one critic’s claim that pet food can be eaten by humans, they added: ‘It’s dead animals and carcasses—if you are a cannibal maybe. It’s made up of so many parasitic leftover parts of the animal.’

It is understood that most Woolworths stores have a dedicated chilled pet food section within the pet food aisle, separate from human food.

It is also believed that only a few stores, like Woolworths Bonnyrigg, combine chilled pet food and human food due to space limitations.

Chilled pet food is clearly labelled as ‘Pet food only’ or ‘Not for human consumption’ in stores.

It is also understood that Woolworths' in-store teams regularly check and organise products to prevent any mix-ups and ensure customer satisfaction.

All pet food and human meat in these chilled areas are securely wrapped, minimising the risk of cross-contamination.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper stirred a debate after finding pet food and meat for human consumption placed in the same refrigerated display.
  • Some voiced concerns over hygiene, while others defended the practice, stating the products were sealed to prevent cross-contamination.
  • The original poster insisted the arrangement was unhygienic and not acceptable.
  • Most Woolworths stores have a separate chilled pet food section, but due to space and store configurations, some stores have a shared refrigerated area. The products are clearly labelled separately, and all food items are tightly sealed to avoid cross-contamination.
Members, please share your thoughts in the comments: Should the pet food section be separate from the human consumption meat section?

Sponsored
When dropping into Woolworths for some grocery shopping, many are on the lookout for a good deal.

However, one NSW shopper recently stumbled upon a detail that left them ‘dry retching’, sparking an intense debate.

The shopper was surprised to find an ‘unhygienic’ display at their local Woolworths: they found chilled pet food next to meat for human consumption in the store.

In a photograph shared by the Woolies shopper, it showed that three shelves of pet products were placed next to the store’s pork range, which included roasts and ham.

View attachment 32410
A Woolworths shopper shared a Facebook photo of pet food alongside pork cuts in their local store's meat section. Image source: Facebook

In the post, the shopper said they would not return to that particular Woolworths in the future.

‘Since when is Woolworths Bonnyrigg—or any supermarket—allowed to put animal meat next to the meat we eat?’ they wrote on social media.

However, while the discovery left some people stunned, it appears that others remained unfazed.

Many saw no issue with placing pet food and human meat together in the same display.

‘It’s all wrapped/sealed, so it can’t get contaminated,’ one said. ‘Butchers have dog bones, mince in the same section as other meat. There’s no issue.’

Another added: ‘It is the same as people who buy this for their pet and keep it home in their own fridge. It’s securely packaged, so it’s not that bad.’

A third wrote: ‘Meat all comes from the same place. Some parts are for human consumption, some for pets, the rest goes to use in other products.’

Meanwhile, the shopper who posted the photo insisted that they were right. ‘You’re missing the point—-it’s unhygienic and not allowed,’ they wrote.

View attachment 32409
The shopper found it unhygienic and disgusting to see both meat sections stored adjacent to each other. Image source: Facebook

Responding to one critic’s claim that pet food can be eaten by humans, they added: ‘It’s dead animals and carcasses—if you are a cannibal maybe. It’s made up of so many parasitic leftover parts of the animal.’

It is understood that most Woolworths stores have a dedicated chilled pet food section within the pet food aisle, separate from human food.

It is also believed that only a few stores, like Woolworths Bonnyrigg, combine chilled pet food and human food due to space limitations.

Chilled pet food is clearly labelled as ‘Pet food only’ or ‘Not for human consumption’ in stores.

It is also understood that Woolworths' in-store teams regularly check and organise products to prevent any mix-ups and ensure customer satisfaction.

All pet food and human meat in these chilled areas are securely wrapped, minimising the risk of cross-contamination.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths shopper stirred a debate after finding pet food and meat for human consumption placed in the same refrigerated display.
  • Some voiced concerns over hygiene, while others defended the practice, stating the products were sealed to prevent cross-contamination.
  • The original poster insisted the arrangement was unhygienic and not acceptable.
  • Most Woolworths stores have a separate chilled pet food section, but due to space and store configurations, some stores have a shared refrigerated area. The products are clearly labelled separately, and all food items are tightly sealed to avoid cross-contamination.
Members, please share your thoughts in the comments: Should the pet food section be separate from the human consumption meat section?
I’m guessing this lady has a separate fridge for her animal food at home 😆. Really the food all comes from the same animals we all eat it’s just different parts that some people don’t like to eat. Me personally I’m from farming stock and you eat from the nose to the tail some people need to toughen up.

Reactions: Auswallaby

View attachment 32410

View attachment 32409

Key Takeaways

meats all sealed in their own packaging so there is NO PROBLEM. Some people are just unintelligent. In the old days when meats were unpackaged it would have been a different story

View attachment 32410

View attachment 32409

Key Takeaways

Obviously they shouldn’t be displaying it right between say chicken & beef. But at the end of the cabinet - no issue.
It’s labelled as Pet food & is wrapped & processed so it is definitely not a case of being unhygienic - just could be confusing to someone who has poor eyesight. You don’t put it in a different fridge at home.
The only people who would really object would be people who don’t have pets……I personally don’t like fish next to meat …I don’t like the smell of fish & don’t eat it …..so for me I can cope with pet food next to meat better than fish.
Vegans & vegetarians probably see meat products placed next to ‘faux’ meat as disgusting & unhygienic.
Each to their own.
As long as everything is sealed properly & not leaking onto other products.

What happens when she takes the dog food home?
Does she leave it out of the fridge to spoil and stink?
No...of course not.....she places it in the fridge, right alongside the meat and other food that she, and her family will eventually consume.
This is AFTER the dog food has been opened....not like in the shop where it was sealed.
Lady....get a life. Stop knocking the place that employs people, and supplies you with your food.
Try not shopping anymore and go out hunting for your food.
Life lessons will be quickly learnt. You will be glad Woolies can help.

I'm 68 years old....As a child growing up on a farm.... all meat was stored in the fridge that included meat {offal} for the farm dogs and there was No Such Thing as 'Use By Dates/Best Before Dates'...if it smelt off the dogs ate it.

Reactions: mollydg
OMG, poor woman must have the most drab life if this is all she can find to complain about.
i agree and its not illegal not all stores do it this way I'm vegetarian and see vegetarian products next to meat etc don't worry me its all converted wrapped etc ;some people must have special fridge in their homes for all the pet food lol

Reactions: mylittletibbies

View attachment 32410

View attachment 32409

Key Takeaways

The person who criticised that people are cannibals if they eat pet food as it is all dead animals etc, then they must be a cannibal too as all meat products are dead animals too as Pork (pig) Beef (cow) Lamb (sheep) & most animal pet food is made from the same as humans eat. There would only be a problem if the pet food was not sealed & in a heated area of the store not the chilled section. Plus I also by kangaroo mince for my German Shepherd & that is kept in the meat section

Last edited:

View attachment 32410

View attachment 32409

Key Takeaways

Oh get over it! It's still FOOD. Don't matter if it's for people or an animal, it's packaged so it's okay where it is. There's dividers between the two types of 'FOOD' as well. GROW UP, USE YOUR BRAIN AND ACTUALLY THINK INSTEAD OF HITTING THE 'DISGUSTED' BUTTON ALONG WITH THE 'PANIC' BUTTON - THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO END!!
Maybe those disgusted with the cold pet food being in the meat department need to buy a tin of wet cat or dog food, a loaf of bread and a tub of margarine and make a nice 'balanced diet' sandwich - just like the guy who came through the checkout i worked on did - ha ha ha!!
You won't get sick by it neighboring the regular meat - unless you accidently buy it and then don't store it properly and then well that is your own fault then not the stores.

I had to have a chuckle when reading this. All my sentiments have been stated already. Both are hygienically wrapped, frozen, probably packed in different parts of a facility, kept together in a home freezer & thawed separately.

l fail to see any problem. If she was stranded would she care what she ate so long as she stayed alive?

Build a bridge and get over it. It is clearly marked and securely wrapped, so there is no cross contamination.

View attachment 32410

View attachment 32409

Key Takeaways

So it’s dead animals we use for pet food and what live animals for humans?

View attachment 32410

View attachment 32409

Key Takeaways

A BIG FUSS ABOUT NOTHING...HAVE THESE GOOD PEOPLE GOT NOTHING BETTER TO DO???

So many trivial encounters send people into the 'I'll never shop there again rant!'. At some point they're going to be relegated to stay home, as there won't be anywhere for then to go 😝
I wonder if they do online shopping they would even know how it was stored in the shop/out the back in the freezer