Outrage sparks as Coles limit customers to two packs of tissues despite a three-for-$6 promo

It's so disappointing when you see an advertisement for a great sale or promo, only to be told in the store that they are not available to be purchased. In this case, it wasn’t even sold out!

It feels like false advertising, and it's frustrating for customers who are trying to save money or take advantage of a great deal.

While most retailers refrain from doing this to prevent being boycotted by shoppers, customers do call out the retailer for this type of behaviour — often because the shoppers feel misled or cheated.

Such has been the case for Coles, which has come under fire for a marketing gaffe that prevents customers from taking advantage of an advertised discount.

Customers pointed out The stores posted a customer notice that prohibits customers from purchasing more than two tissue boxes per visit, despite the 'three for $6' promotion.

The sign read: 'Due to the current high demand for tissues, we have introduced a temporary limit of 2 items per transaction.'

'This will help to maintain availability for all our customers.'

OpeFxoFSagFnzoU3hfLeuduQJuMdSDc8U3d0bZ5SRhkBFkLj87a6DDra46Tmoh_d1EzQt3MBxgaR2T9PcUDeI3yydgcfsUP3V7UZXJrguoz80IQwn15D5TdK-O4wSt0g34pRvoMKtxCpHmMuHmXT-sAjUjH2NjjHQaH6jsMrQ_UHDp98Ac_pOUPX

Customers took to social media to air their frustration. Credit: Reddit.

Furious shoppers take to social media to report the incident, with one customer sharing a snap of the sign on Reddit.

'Marketing geniuses,' they wrote on the post.

Hundreds of people instantly criticised the retailer for making it difficult to obtain their 'special discount' in the comments section.

One user pointed out: 'They are in high demand because they are three for $6!'

'What's the point of having something on special if it's impossible to buy?' another questioned.

One customer took the opportunity to share a terrible incident that supposedly occurred when he was attempting to buy three packs of the product.

'I picked up three boxes in store and the checkout person gave me an earful about how selfish I was to take three whole boxes,' he wrote.

'They made me go and put one of the boxes back on the shelf.'

One more person revealed a vexing 'loophole' in the promo that forbids customers from purchasing more than two varieties of any tissue.

'Last week I tried to buy two boxes of tissues and one packet of a mini carry pack of tissue and was told at the counter they weren't allowed to sell them to me due to the limit being in place,' the shopper disclosed.

'Even though they were completely different products, the limit applied.'

d84HpjTvdgZYvIaZpp-ttNjFm21idj7jqpiQ7VhRHdJf-yYMD4jSybAk-oKTqZ6XxtatylVRt1u8fuEKSD-PSvR1kLyenEWkLPGGu4v_Wp14NGoOqOYh0kRqgQqtDbH1I_Bdwn4-wW0DjsCezCZ80DISsn2_yJXgSgvRFp92YlMCUBLKq5PPID2f

Shoppers accused Coles of practising false advertising. Credit: Daily Mail via Shutterstock/Daria Nipot.

Another customer, however, has spoken out strongly in favour of the restrictions.

The shopper said: 'There needs to be limits on a majority of items.'

'Too many things at my local Coles literally get cleared out within hours of them going on special - and then there's nothing for the rest of the week!'

'It's disgusting. I see people buying multiples of the one item they obviously don't need, while low-income people like myself without convenient transport to other stores suffer.'

Coles has yet to comment on the issue.

Retailers need to be honest and transparent with their advertising so that customers know what to expect when they come into the store. It is understood that businesses need to change their promotions from time to time, but it would be helpful if they were more upfront about it instead of luring customers in with false advertising.

If you were in the same position as one of the customers who was left frustrated by the notice, what would you do?

Sponsored
Lighten up folk, after all it's only tissues. Somebody stuffed up, it's not the end of the world and they're only human. These discounts would have been agreed weeks if not months ago, before anyone knew there would be a shortage. That someone was dippy enough to actually put the tickets out just means their brain wasn't engaged. Sh*t happens. If there are tissues in the store you can always go round twice if you're desperate and if there's no tissues no amount of ticketing at whatever quantities or prices will magic them up.:):rolleyes:

It's so disappointing when you see an advertisement for a great sale or promo, only to be told in the store that they are not available to be purchased. In this case, it wasn’t even sold out!

It feels like false advertising, and it's frustrating for customers who are trying to save money or take advantage of a great deal.

While most retailers refrain from doing this to prevent being boycotted by shoppers, customers do call out the retailer for this type of behaviour — often because the shoppers feel misled or cheated.

Such has been the case for Coles, which has come under fire for a marketing gaffe that prevents customers from taking advantage of an advertised discount.

Customers pointed out The stores posted a customer notice that prohibits customers from purchasing more than two tissue boxes per visit, despite the 'three for $6' promotion.

The sign read: 'Due to the current high demand for tissues, we have introduced a temporary limit of 2 items per transaction.'

OpeFxoFSagFnzoU3hfLeuduQJuMdSDc8U3d0bZ5SRhkBFkLj87a6DDra46Tmoh_d1EzQt3MBxgaR2T9PcUDeI3yydgcfsUP3V7UZXJrguoz80IQwn15D5TdK-O4wSt0g34pRvoMKtxCpHmMuHmXT-sAjUjH2NjjHQaH6jsMrQ_UHDp98Ac_pOUPX

Furious shoppers take to social media to report the incident, with one customer sharing a snap of the sign on Reddit.

Hundreds of people instantly criticised the retailer for making it difficult to obtain their 'special discount' in the comments section.

'What's the point of having something on special if it's impossible to buy?' another questioned.

One customer took the opportunity to share a terrible incident that supposedly occurred when he was attempting to buy three packs of the product.

'I picked up three boxes in store and the checkout person gave me an earful about how selfish I was to take three whole boxes,' he wrote.

One more person revealed a vexing 'loophole' in the promo that forbids customers from purchasing more than two varieties of any tissue.

'Last week I tried to buy two boxes of tissues and one packet of a mini carry pack of tissue and was told at the counter they weren't allowed to sell them to me due to the limit being in place,' the shopper disclosed.

d84HpjTvdgZYvIaZpp-ttNjFm21idj7jqpiQ7VhRHdJf-yYMD4jSybAk-oKTqZ6XxtatylVRt1u8fuEKSD-PSvR1kLyenEWkLPGGu4v_Wp14NGoOqOYh0kRqgQqtDbH1I_Bdwn4-wW0DjsCezCZ80DISsn2_yJXgSgvRFp92YlMCUBLKq5PPID2f

Shoppers accused Coles of practising false advertising. Credit: Daily Mail via Shutterstock/Daria Nipot.

Another customer, however, has spoken out strongly in favour of the restrictions.

'Too many things at my local Coles literally get cleared out within hours of them going on special - and then there's nothing for the rest of the week!'

'It's disgusting. I see people buying multiples of the one item they obviously don't need, while low-income people like myself without convenient transport to other stores suffer.'

Retailers need to be honest and transparent with their advertising so that customers know what to expect when they come into the store. It is understood that businesses need to change their promotions from time to time, but it would be helpful if they were more upfront about it instead of luring customers in with false advertising.

If you were in the same position as one of the customers who was left frustrated by the notice, what would you do?
Simple, take the 3 for $6.00 ticket off.
and was it such a psecial anyway?

GO unload your shopping & return to the store to buy the rest if it's so 'special'.

Reactions: Annette V and Ricci

I do think that specials should have a limit on them. It is really annoying to find they are sold out on one day. It's a ploy to get you into the store knowing that you will buy other things when you are there

Reactions: Maurie7 and Ricci
Lighten up folk, after all it's only tissues. Somebody stuffed up, it's not the end of the world and they're only human. These discounts would have been agreed weeks if not months ago, before anyone knew there would be a shortage. That someone was dippy enough to actually put the tickets out just means their brain wasn't engaged. Sh*t happens. If there are tissues in the store you can always go round twice if you're desperate and if there's no tissues no amount of ticketing at whatever quantities or prices will magic them up.:):rolleyes:
I really love your comments straight to the point no dribble

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
when this happens to me I ask for the manager, I usually win, if not I punish the store by informing them I will be shopping with the opposition for the next6 weeks.. and I do just that (not only do they lose 6x$200 but their opposition gains 1200..this may not hurt them but if many people do this it gives the shopper some power

Not worth raising our blood pressure over, just go through with your 2 boxes, and go back in and get another 2, then you go home with 4 boxes, not 3, and you can feel as if you've beaten their system.
Pick your battles....

Reactions: Ricci
The marketing people and the head honchos of Coles should have just vetoed the special altogether and then there would have been no issue. But that relies on common sense. Which is missing with a lot of people these days.

Not worth raising our blood pressure over, just go through with your 2 boxes, and go back in and get another 2, then you go home with 4 boxes, not 3, and you can feel as if you've beaten their system.
Pick your battles....
But you would not get the special discount and most probably pay double the price. Now that is not what specials are about

Report them to Consumer Affairs!

Why is it such a big thing with tissues?? What's wrong with toilet paper? Even kitchen paper has it's days with me. Shame on the people that use the excuse that handkerchiefs are no longer a big issue for health reasons, or don't they like ironing??? In this day & age many of us still like freshly ironed individual pieces. I just might be too long in the tooth to know what tissues are used for, other than blowing my nose. Yeh I'll plead innocent.