Outrage sparks as caravan reforms roll out Down Under

The Australian dream of hitting the open road with a caravan in tow could be facing a significant detour.

Proposed reforms in one Australian state have sparked a heated debate across the nation, with many fearing the changes could have far-reaching implications for those seeking an alternative housing solution or a nomadic lifestyle.

The New South Wales government is reportedly pushing for new regulations involving individuals living in caravans.

Under the proposed regulations, they will be required to obtain council approval if their caravan on a private property exceeds 20 square metres, or if it's connected to utilities such as electricity and water for more than six months.

This is a stark contrast to the current legislation, which permits indefinite caravan residency on private property if used by someone within the main household.

compressed-shutterstock_2352153199.jpeg
The NSW government’s proposed reforms were criticised by caravan dwellers and other stakeholders. Credits: Shutterstock

For Eryn Norris, a 23-year-old residing in a caravan on her parents' property in Kariong, these changes could upend her living situation.

‘It would be drastic for so many people, not just people my age, but also say like my grandparents' sort of age. It would be detrimental to so many people's ability to have a house that's safe,’ Ms Norris asserted.

‘I looked into renting, and renting was just way out of the picture while I was at university. It's way too expensive, so we looked into different sorts of living situations, something that would work for us and this—without council approval—just changed everything.’

‘We would all eventually like to own our own homes, but to be able to even think about doing that you'd have to earn over $100,000 a year which... coming out of university is next to impossible,’ she added.

She also expressed her fear of never being able to possess her own home, and hoped for her and her three sisters to reside together in the caravan as they grew up.

Vito Russo, CEO of VanHomes, voiced his concerns, stating that there is no need for this change, especially amidst a housing crisis.

‘We are not against updating legislation, but definitely a lot more work needs to be done,’ he stated.

‘As the current proposal is, it will exacerbate the housing crisis.’

‘It is almost contradictory to be announcing all these initiatives to provide more housing, more affordable housing, then on the other hand... change the legislation,’ he added.

The impact of these reforms could extend beyond individual living arrangements.

A significant portion of VanHomes's clientele includes young savers, grandparents, individuals with mental health challenges, and survivors of domestic violence.

For these groups, the flexibility and affordability of caravan living are not just conveniences, but also necessities.

‘Some councils still want you to go through a development application process, and once you go through that… you could be looking at an up to 12-month delay and another $25,000, $30,000 to the cost,’ Mr Russo explained.

Minister for Planning, Paul Scully, defended the reforms, stating that they aim to ensure greater safety with installations.

‘It's been 30 years since the current regulation for regulations around caravan parks, manufactured home estates, and movable dwellings were reviewed,’ he pointed out.

‘A lot of the industry has changed, some good, and some bad. We're wanting to focus on what's working well and build on it.’

‘In a time where we are increasingly seeing tiny homes and movable dwellings becoming permanent secondary residencies, we also want to provide our councils with peace of mind when planning for local amenities and infrastructure,’ he added.

Individuals affected by natural disasters would receive specific permission to reside in a caravan set up in a backyard, without requiring council approval, for a maximum duration of two years.

Additional reforms are reportedly slated for review later in the year.

This is not the first change that was proposed for caravans.

Recently, experts called for a change in rules involving drivers towing caravans due to a concerning trend.
Key Takeaways
  • Proposed reforms by the NSW government could impose new restrictions on Australians living in caravans on private property.
  • People might need to gain council approval for caravans exceeding 20 sqm or connected to utilities for over six months, which residents fear will create obstacles to affordable living.
  • Stakeholders, including a caravan company CEO, criticised the changes as worsening the housing crisis, and adding substantial costs and delays.
  • Minister for Planning Paul Scully stated that the reforms aim to ensure safety and adapt to changes in the industry, with special exemptions for those impacted by natural disasters.
Are you or someone you know concerned by these potential reforms? What are your thoughts on their impact on the caravan lifestyle? Share your stories and join the conversation in the comments below.

Sponsored
I would like to know what is the difference between living in a caravan on your own land and having a granny flat, apart from having wheels
Some caravans, these days, are a hundred times better than some people's homes.
Here in WA you are not allowed to live in a caravan,! ON YOUR OWN LAND, for more than 30 days a year.
What gives the powers that be the right to sit in their comfortable homes, while forcing other people out on the street
It seems ordinary people don't have any rights these days. Is it because we are just too complacent and therefore they can make whatever laws they like.I would like to know if I chose to let somebody live in a caravan, on my quarter acre block who is it hurting and why???

I actually don't think it's a bad idea.

20 square metres is a large Caravan. I think safety measures are good.
By getting approval it will check things out like the power ect .If not connected properly fires can happen.

The cost won't be what the article is saying

Alot of people will privately rent out their vans on their land so safety is a high priority

Australian Government & Local Councils are a pack of "DonkeyAsses". This is rubbish and down right unAustralian. If it's on WHEELS and not permanently hooked up to Residential address, then local Council or State/Government body has no right to demand extra grab/grub money. If this gets past what will next on their hit list. Livestock floats, trailers, vehicles, Kids tree house or Cubby House.

A family next door to us had an old lady living in their backyard in a very nice modern caravan.She was hurting nobody, no noise, no problem.
But that wasn't good enough for the neighbours on the other side.
Oh no, they had to report it,because it was "illegal". She had to leave.
What is wrong with some people. I asked them how it was hurting them, they had no answer. Just that it was illegal.
I informed them that there were also laws about people letting their dogs bark all day and night and actually annoying their neighbours and that I would now be reporting them instead of putting up with it as I had.
They thought I was a very nasty person if I would do such a thing.
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
Guess they'd never heard of kharma.
The outcome was that the dog was rehomed to a much better home where it never barked as it was walked and given plenty of attention. I guess I should have done it earlier.
Unfortunately, although the old lady managed to get an emergency state housing unit, it is in a terrible area, lots of crime and she is frightened and very unhappy.
A pity some people can't mind their own business.

Ah well, I was conceived in a caravan which was my parents' only home after WW2 (it beat the rat-infested single room they had been renting before) and spent the next 18 months in that 'van. 22feet long and parked in a farmer's field with outdoor long-drop dunny.

The NSW governments seem to be run by the congenitally stupid, LNP or ALP.

Australian Government & Local Councils are a pack of "DonkeyAsses". This is rubbish and down right unAustralian. If it's on WHEELS and not permanently hooked up to Residential address, then local Council or State/Government body has no right to demand extra grab/grub money. If this gets past what will next on their hit list. Livestock floats, trailers, vehicles, Kids tree house or Cubby House.
It is all about total control of peoples lives

What arrogance! Why would the Labor Party & Minister Paul Scully Member for Wollongong attack the housing choice of many of its own grassroots supporters who traditionally have worked in underpaid labour intensive employment who cannot afford costly rent or mortgages. You are going to make life harder for many.
I hope the results of the ballot box responds accordingly.

This is really poor timing.
Up in Noosa, apparently the council cracked down on a woman who had a rural property and had allowed a number of caravans the right to live as long as they needed, mostly single mums with kids - to give them a chance in life - I would imagine.
Noosa council insisted they all get off the property. Their residing there was apparently no bother to any other neighbouring properties. It's all about control and money and "big brother" Council steps in. I think this case was on ACAffair going back a few months.

Reactions: Gsr and bschulze
What arrogance! Why would the Labor Party & Minister Paul Scully Member for Wollongong attack the housing choice of many of its own grassroots supporters who traditionally have worked in underpaid labour intensive employment who cannot afford costly rent or mortgages. You are going to make life harder for many.
I hope the results of the ballot box responds accordingly.
The ALP has long been the Alternative Liberal Party. It's become a sick joke from Treasurer Keating onwards.