Outrage in the aisles! Woolworths now offers a controversial service, and not everyone is happy

In recent years, the importance of accessible healthcare has become more apparent than ever.

With the rise of telehealth consultations, individuals worldwide now have access to essential medical services from the comfort of their homes.

Telehealth has revolutionised the healthcare industry, making it more convenient, efficient, and cost-effective for patients to receive medical advice and treatment.

This technology has made it possible for individuals with difficulty accessing healthcare due to geographical location, physical disabilities, or financial limitations to receive medical care without leaving their homes.

However, it's worth noting that while telehealth provides access to GPs, not everyone is pleased with it, and some would rather see a doctor in person.

That’s why it’s unsurprising that Woolworths is in hot water after announcing that it will offer telehealth consultations.

sydney-australia-08312019-entrance-exterior-260nw-1494972311.jpg copy.png
Woolworths faced backlash after introducing its newest telehealth service. Credit: Shutterstock.

You read that right, folks! In a bizarre turn of events, Woolworths is reaching out to a larger slice of the wellness market by introducing an online healthcare platform called HealthyLife.

This will enable customers to connect with general practitioners (GPs) nationwide through the help of Global Health, a provider contracted by Woolworths.

HealthyLife’s General Manager for Health and Nutrition, Sarah Gray, said: 'You think of the times when you can't see your GP, you can't get in with your regular GP or you are too unwell to leave the house, you can now access this really quickly and conveniently.’

The new service comes with certain fees that depend on the type of consultation. For example, patients will be charged $25 for a medical certificate, $45 for a standard consultation and $115 for dietitians or nutritionists.

However, unlike a regular GP visit, customers won’t be eligible for a Medicare rebate.

Retail Analyst Steve Kulmar believes this latest move is part of Woolworths' strategy to make its way into an even larger and more lucrative market: chemist and pharmacy.

Unsurprisingly, customers expressed their dissatisfaction online over the new service and its associated costs.

One person wrote: 'So I would imagine some advice given would suggest purchasing products at Woolies. A supermarket should not be employing doctors to give medical advice.'

'Probably end up being consulted by a machine anyway. Woolworths have demonstrated they prefer machines over human contact by opening less human manned tills and focus on self-serve tills,' another speculated.

A third questioned: 'How can you diagnose something over the phone? No rebates?'

'Corporate greed at its finest! This is ridiculous!'

Doctor Nicole Higgins from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners criticised Woolworths’ move, claiming it was an opportunity to make money from people's health care.

'Interestingly, they are charging more than what the gap fee is to see your GP', she said.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is now offering telehealth consultations through its digital health platform HealthyLife, in a move criticised by doctors.
  • The service allows customers to connect with general practitioners nationwide, with appointments starting at $25 for a medical certificate, $45 for a standard consult, and $115 for dietitians or nutritionists.
  • Critics argue that the supermarket is trying to make money from people's health care and express concerns about the quality of medical advice through telehealth consultations.
  • Woolworths stated that the service is not designed to replace customers' usual GPs and that patients will not be eligible for a Medicare rebate.

Members, it’s clear that this move by Woolworths has raised some red flags for customers. As such, it’s important to remember that if you ever have any medical concerns or questions, you should always consult a qualified medical professional.

Accessing Healthcare Anywhere.jpg
An infographic summarising the reminders you need to know when seeking a telehealth consultation service. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

If you ever require medical advice or services, make sure to weigh up all of your options and research different healthcare providers in your area.

Always remember to check if there are any first-time patient offers and discounts for seniors.

Have you ever had a telehealth consultation? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments down below!

Sponsored
In Brisbane and, perhaps other cities and states, we can access free hospital ED attention if required. Go to your local government run hospital if you can. I have accessed this service a few times. They always do a blood test, sometimes a urine test, put you on machines to monitor oxygen, pulse etc.

Some years ago I had one after-hours doctor come to my home when I needed attention. Yes it was bulk-billed but I explained that I’d had a stroke some years ago. He did not actually examine me but sat on my sofa next to me didn’t even touch me, no BP, no pulse, no checking of my ears, throat etc and said he couldn’t find anything wrong. For this I’m sure he was paid an exorbitant after hours fee and his organisation would also have got their ‘cut’ from the government.

If you cannot go to a hospital ED or cannot visit a doctor get an ambulance to take you to a public hospital. Fortunately here in Brisbane we have free ambulance transport, but otherwise, as a last resort, get an after hours doctor to visit you at home. I wouldn’t trust my health with Telehealth or someone who doesn’t know my health history and who has never seen me as a patient. Telehealthbwith your normal doctor, if they offer the service, is much better than Telehealth with an unknown doctor you don’t know and who doesn’t know you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
"I fibbed a bit and said I had been travelling and had picked up an infection and needed a script for it. I got one immediately."

And you think this is okay - really? It's actually not "fibbing", it's FRAUD! It is an offence to knowingly and by false representation obtain a prescription drug or a prescription for a prescription drug. The maximum penalty is a fine of $10 000 or 2 years imprisonment.

I think it's just a fantastic idea? They can't keep up stock on shelves so maybe it could go something like - Mini hospitals in the meat area so that there is chilling space for blood, making the dogfood chiller available for bone fracture clinics, chronic stomach complaints to the milk isle and payment via special stretcher access and self-service checkout, don't forget your rewards card for broken limbs and small operations which are available on special this week. Security will check all your dressings for accidental storage of rare groceries before you leave. Also, don't forget your holiday bookings at Wooltravel Limited whilst you are having a massage at the Woolies rub and tub limited next door. Have a great day.

• Haha
I just rang our surgery a few minutes ago for an appointment, couldn't get in until April 19th as she is going on leave. Fortunately it's not urgent and I will hang on till then and not turn to some unknown online person who knows nothing about me or my medical history.

In recent years, the importance of accessible healthcare has become more apparent than ever.

With the rise of telehealth consultations, individuals worldwide now have access to essential medical services from the comfort of their homes.

Telehealth has revolutionised the healthcare industry, making it more convenient, efficient, and cost-effective for patients to receive medical advice and treatment.

This technology has made it possible for individuals with difficulty accessing healthcare due to geographical location, physical disabilities, or financial limitations to receive medical care without leaving their homes.

However, it's worth noting that while telehealth provides access to GPs, not everyone is pleased with it, and some would rather see a doctor in person.

That’s why it’s unsurprising that Woolworths is in hot water after announcing that it will offer telehealth consultations.

View attachment 16082
Woolworths faced backlash after introducing its newest telehealth service. Credit: Shutterstock.

You read that right, folks! In a bizarre turn of events, Woolworths is reaching out to a larger slice of the wellness market by introducing an online healthcare platform called HealthyLife.

This will enable customers to connect with general practitioners (GPs) nationwide through the help of Global Health, a provider contracted by Woolworths.

HealthyLife’s General Manager for Health and Nutrition, Sarah Gray, said: 'You think of the times when you can't see your GP, you can't get in with your regular GP or you are too unwell to leave the house, you can now access this really quickly and conveniently.’

The new service comes with certain fees that depend on the type of consultation. For example, patients will be charged $25 for a medical certificate, $45 for a standard consultation and $115 for dietitians or nutritionists.

However, unlike a regular GP visit, customers won’t be eligible for a Medicare rebate.

Retail Analyst Steve Kulmar believes this latest move is part of Woolworths' strategy to make its way into an even larger and more lucrative market: chemist and pharmacy.

Unsurprisingly, customers expressed their dissatisfaction online over the new service and its associated costs.

One person wrote: 'So I would imagine some advice given would suggest purchasing products at Woolies. A supermarket should not be employing doctors to give medical advice.'

'Probably end up being consulted by a machine anyway. Woolworths have demonstrated they prefer machines over human contact by opening less human manned tills and focus on self-serve tills,' another speculated.

A third questioned: 'How can you diagnose something over the phone? No rebates?'

Doctor Nicole Higgins from the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners criticised Woolworths’ move, claiming it was an opportunity to make money from people's health care.

'Interestingly, they are charging more than what the gap fee is to see your GP', she said.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is now offering telehealth consultations through its digital health platform HealthyLife, in a move criticised by doctors.
  • The service allows customers to connect with general practitioners nationwide, with appointments starting at $25 for a medical certificate, $45 for a standard consult, and $115 for dietitians or nutritionists.
  • Critics argue that the supermarket is trying to make money from people's health care and express concerns about the quality of medical advice through telehealth consultations.
  • Woolworths stated that the service is not designed to replace customers' usual GPs and that patients will not be eligible for a Medicare rebate.

Members, it’s clear that this move by Woolworths has raised some red flags for customers. As such, it’s important to remember that if you ever have any medical concerns or questions, you should always consult a qualified medical professional.

View attachment 16081
An infographic summarising the reminders you need to know when seeking a telehealth consultation service. Credit: Seniors Discount Club.

If you ever require medical advice or services, make sure to weigh up all of your options and research different healthcare providers in your area.

Always remember to check if there are any first-time patient offers and discounts for seniors.

Have you ever had a telehealth consultation? What was your experience like? Let us know in the comments down below!

View attachment 16082

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16081

Why is it so wrong for Woolworths to do this? They already do insurance which has nothing to do with food retail.
I have used the Dr online service. I tried to get an appointment with the local clinic, who have no permanent GP. Just locums. They rarely touch me, check my temp or blood pressure or weight. And it costs me $30 in petrol to get there.
So this costs me just $15 for a repeat prescription. For a simple thing I am financially in front.

My doctor offers telehealth as long as you been in person to the practice in the last 12 months.

This works well if I only need a prescription or if I'm too sick to go in.

Most doctors offer this and if your doctor bulk bills then they will bulk bill for this as well.

My son was really sick last week with a bad flu worst than when he had covid . Because he had 3 days off work he needed a doctors certificate, due to flu symptoms he couldn't go in and as he hasn't needed to see a doctor in over 12 months he couldn't use the telehealth option.

He managed to get one on line with an certificate within seconds .

To me they never examined him really didn't ask questions it was almost like they were not even doctors ! So what is even the point of a Doctors certificate these days ?
Anyone can get one
Exactly...! I was refused one because I could not attend in person (even though Medicare confirmed I was not due for an annual "sighting" for another 3.5 months) and they wouldn't accept an online, face-to-face consultation...!!! Still waiting... 4 weeks now... :cry:

I think it's just a fantastic idea? They can't keep up stock on shelves so maybe it could go something like - Mini hospitals in the meat area so that there is chilling space for blood, making the dogfood chiller available for bone fracture clinics, chronic stomach complaints to the milk isle and payment via special stretcher access and self-service checkout, don't forget your rewards card for broken limbs and small operations which are available on special this week. Security will check all your dressings for accidental storage of rare groceries before you leave. Also, don't forget your holiday bookings at Wooltravel Limited whilst you are having a massage at the Woolies rub and tub limited next door. Have a great day.
Mr Chips, I love the humour in your post and how true! But Woolies needs to rethink what they are trying to do. What is this rubbish a food supermarket is trying to convince the less fortunate, who may have transport or mobility issues, to do? Doctors need to know the history of a patient to be able to prescribe medicines and treatment. That cannot be done over the phone. Some also have cognition and memory issues and may not be able to correctly tell a doctor everything or possibly the medication they are on - leading to overdose or medicines incompatible with another.

GET REAL WOOLWORTHS. You are a supermarket not a health service.

Last edited:

View attachment 16082

Key Takeaways

View attachment 16081

As already stated above, how can a person who has never seen me & cannot see me be qualified to give me any medical advice? A person may be severely hung over or needing time off to get away & all that is needed is to phone this service, speak to a voice, receive a certificate, take the time off & hand this into the employer on return. The system is open to fraud/misuse while WOOLWORTHS get richer while paying dividends to shareholders.

My GP Practice has this service available & as also mentioned above, is only available after 12 months consulting @ this Practice. I found this convenient before Christmas last year after contracting Covid. My G.P. was on leave but because my records were there, another G.P. was able to write a Prescription for the medication needed.

Whilst it must be understood that Woolworths is a business and is rightfully always on the lookout for a competitive edge, there needs to be boundaries. It was interesting that they attempted to take on Bunnings with their Masters hardware business but that failed miserably. It is now clear that they want to enter the health market. The obvious targets for competition are Chemist Warehouse, Terry White and Priceline. I find myself wondering if this bid will go the same way as Masters. If it does then the only conclusion seems t be that Woolworths is driven by corporate greed and not adept at capturing lessons learned.
I think you have it right.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I have tele communications with my GP for scripts and such but usually see him every three or four months if there are any issues. I also have an issue with the type of services Woolworths and others are going to or do provide in that people could be getting prescriptions and could be overdosing on as some do by doctor shopping but their doing it on the phone instead.

I had a TeleHealth call with an After Hours Doctor, asked what my symptoms were, said I had Bronchitis, sent scripts to my local pharmacy ( which took a day & a half to get there), the Pharmacist spoke to me & told me I had Covid after doing a RAT test he provided. I don't trust speaking to someone over the phone that doesn't know my history. I don't even think this "doctor" was even in MY state as he sent the scripts to another state.

• Sad