Outrage erupts after Woolworths shopper photographed breaking societal rules

Everyone likes to dress in comfortable clothing when out running errands. But how comfortable is *too* comfortable?

Well, outrage has erupted on social media after a shopper was photographed in ‘unacceptable’ attire. But do you think it’s inappropriate?

A shopper took a snap of a fellow customer perusing the fresh produce aisle at his local Woolworths and posted it on social media. While the act of exploring the vegetable section of the store is harmless enough, it was the man’s particular choice of clothing that led to the explosive reaction of many online.

In the photo, the man in question can be seen wearing shorts, a singlet – and no shoes!

man1.jpg
Do you think this is acceptable? Credit: Facebook

In the Facebook post, the shopper admitted that he was appalled to see the man shopping with no shoes on.

‘Is there a shoe shortage in Australia? How is this acceptable on a worksite, Woolworths?’ He asked.

The post prompted strong reactions from other social media users – with many defending the shoe-less shopper.

‘How does this impact you? He isn’t wiping his feet on the fresh produce,’ one stated.

Another agreed and asked why it mattered whether the man was walking barefoot in Woolies. ‘If he wants to walk about barefoot and risk any injury, that’s surely up to him,’ they added.

‘Well, he’s not putting his feet on the food, is he?’ A third asked.

1shoe.jpg
Many defended the shoe-less man. Credit: Ray Piedra/Pexels

Another said: ‘Are you wearing shoes? If so, why does it matter that he’s happy to walk around in other people’s filth?’

Some were confused as to why the shopper considered Woolworths as a ‘worksite’, while others added that what customers wear while out shopping is not the supermarket’s responsibility.

‘How is this a “worksite”? He’s shopping, not bricklaying,’ one said.

Another shared: ‘How does this affect you in any way? Also, I am betting staff aren’t going around looking at everyone’s feet to make sure they are wearing shoes.’

While your stance on this ‘debate’ may differ, wearing shoes in public places protects your feet from nasty cuts or diseases. It would also hurt less if you accidentally stub your toe or drop something heavy that lands on your foot.

Not only that but without the support of a good pair of shoes compromises our gait and might cause our foot to collapse. According to some podiatrists, our feet are naturally arched so we need something that supports that arch. Going barefoot in public places also exposes our feet to bacterial infections that cause athlete’s foot and other fungus diseases.

For people with diabetes, going barefoot in public spaces also makes them vulnerable to getting skin infections if they sustain a scrape or cut. But, ultimately, it’s up to the individual.

But is it legal?

When it comes to the laws surrounding foot attire in public establishments, the answer is complicated. It largely depends on which state you are in, as some have different footwear laws than others. For example, Queensland requires that all people wear shoes when inside a public business such as a supermarket, however a person with medical needs may enter barefoot with a doctor’s certificate.

Victoria, however, does not require that shoes be worn unless requested by business owners for food safety regulations, so long as the customer follows regulations regarding footwear for the specific store.

This lack of uniform laws across the country has been a source of confusion for many shoppers.

While it may stress some to witness barefoot shoppers in supermarkets, Australian laws currently allow for this in some states.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper photographed a Woolworths customer wearing shorts, a singlet, and no shoes.
  • The shopper posted the image online, which prompted an angry response from people. Many defended the shoe-less shopper.
  • Others said it’s not the supermarket’s responsibility to check what their customers wear in their stores.
Do you think it’s important that we adhere to certain standards in public? How does this differ from personal preference? Tell us what you think in the comments below!

Sponsored
I do not mind what people wear, it is their choice, their risk, and their stupidity. I do not agree that folks should break the law and wear no shoes in dangerous areas, as this implicates everyone.
Do what you like, I dont care.
Do not break the law.
Have a thought for others health concerns. If you are endangering no one, continue. If you are putting others at risk, stop and rethink.
Just my thoughts on the matter.

Everyone likes to dress in comfortable clothing when out running errands. But how comfortable is *too* comfortable?

Well, outrage has erupted on social media after a shopper was photographed in ‘unacceptable’ attire. But do you think it’s inappropriate?

A shopper took a snap of a fellow customer perusing the fresh produce aisle at his local Woolworths and posted it on social media. While the act of exploring the vegetable section of the store is harmless enough, it was the man’s particular choice of clothing that led to the explosive reaction of many online.

In the photo, the man in question can be seen wearing shorts, a singlet – and no shoes!

View attachment 12315

In the Facebook post, the shopper admitted that he was appalled to see the man shopping with no shoes on.

‘Is there a shoe shortage in Australia? How is this acceptable on a worksite, Woolworths?’ He asked.

The post prompted strong reactions from other social media users – with many defending the shoe-less shopper.

‘How does this impact you? He isn’t wiping his feet on the fresh produce,’ one stated.

Another agreed and asked why it mattered whether the man was walking barefoot in Woolies. ‘If he wants to walk about barefoot and risk any injury, that’s surely up to him,’ they added.

View attachment 12314

Another said: ‘Are you wearing shoes? If so, why does it matter that he’s happy to walk around in other people’s filth?’

Some were confused as to why the shopper considered Woolworths as a ‘worksite’, while others added that what customers wear while out shopping is not the supermarket’s responsibility.

Another shared: ‘How does this affect you in any way? Also, I am betting staff aren’t going around looking at everyone’s feet to make sure they are wearing shoes.’

While your stance on this ‘debate’ may differ, wearing shoes in public places protects your feet from nasty cuts or diseases. It would also hurt less if you accidentally stub your toe or drop something heavy that lands on your foot.

Not only that but without the support of a good pair of shoes compromises our gait and might cause our foot to collapse. According to some podiatrists, our feet are naturally arched so we need something that supports that arch. Going barefoot in public places also exposes our feet to bacterial infections that cause athlete’s foot and other fungus diseases.

For people with diabetes, going barefoot in public spaces also makes them vulnerable to getting skin infections if they sustain a scrape or cut. But, ultimately, it’s up to the individual.

But is it legal?

When it comes to the laws surrounding foot attire in public establishments, the answer is complicated. It largely depends on which state you are in, as some have different footwear laws than others. For example, Queensland requires that all people wear shoes when inside a public business such as a supermarket, however a person with medical needs may enter barefoot with a doctor’s certificate.

Victoria, however, does not require that shoes be worn unless requested by business owners for food safety regulations, so long as the customer follows regulations regarding footwear for the specific store.

This lack of uniform laws across the country has been a source of confusion for many shoppers.

While it may stress some to witness barefoot shoppers in supermarkets, Australian laws currently allow for this in some states.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper photographed a Woolworths customer wearing shorts, a singlet, and no shoes.
  • The shopper posted the image online, which prompted an angry response from people. Many defended the shoe-less shopper.
  • Others said it’s not the supermarket’s responsibility to check what their customers wear in their stores.
Do you think it’s important that we adhere to certain standards in public? How does this differ from personal preference? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
I remember in Townsville back in the 80’s, we were not allowed in the playground without a hat. Obviously very responsible in our country. Howe, shoes were optional 😂. And it’s the reason why I now have very wide feet and find it extremely difficult to find shoes that fit at decent price 🤦🏼‍♀️🙄

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

Having been fully trained in Occupational Health and Safety the legislation for all states in Australia are now very clear that if anyone and that includes you and I notice a risk it is our responsibility to do something about it. To draw it to the stores attention simply pick up something on the floor to avoid a possible fall or move the item out the way with our foot (for example). It now is not just the store’s responsibility it is every citizen. It’s about caring for others and you can in effect be fined if you notice a risk and ignore it! True! As far as the store is concerned they are just opening themselves up for being sued if a customer is shoeless and then harms themselves in their store. i though don’t know the answer! Offer some cheap thongs or airline slippers to barefoot people???All you need is. broken glass jar or a remnant piece of glass and that person could be injured. So these days it’s not just the job of the supermarkets to make their shops safe but also for us to draw notice to a risk we notice in the store or anywhere we are in public.! Don’t assume someone else has reported the risk just do it it’s easy when you start doing it. I’m a noticer too which means i now with my training am more vigilant. First Aid trading too is important for everybody to if possible. I have come across several car accidents and people just stand around and have no idea how they can help any injured persons. I always ask loudly “any first aid trained people here”! In my last 2 cases there were over a dozen people and not one trained. In both these cases it was more a matter of keeping the injured person safe, sitting them down asking some questions about how they were feeling, both were in shock, reassuring them till a more trained person came to take over. In more extreme cases you can be responsible for saving their lives!!! I’m amazed how ordinary members of the public “have no idea” what to do. Just thought i’d add the first aid bit and happy to write a paragraph on it for this column. Just because we are ageing doesn’t mean we can’t be really useful in these situations. Consider doing a first aid course they are fun and you could save someone’s life or even a family member or grandchild. A really good investment in helping others! Cheers!

There is no greater joy in life (in my opinion) than going barefoot. People did it for generations and it was considered “The Norm”. You don’t wear shoes at the beach or at the pools, do you? There is just as much, if not more, chance of injuring your feet there than anywhere else. I go barefoot any chance I can within reason and those that don’t like it, GET A LIFE AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!! What I do is my business, not yours. I suppose these selfish thinkers also think it’s a crime to be seen in public with gaudy tattoos covering every bit of your skin or outrageous body piercing! It is the individuals choice. Each to their own!! If the law insisted that everyone goes barefoot, that would be a different story and then you’d have something to whinge about. So, pull your flamin’ heads in!!!

Having been fully trained in Occupational Health and Safety the legislation for all states in Australia are now very clear that if anyone and that includes you and I notice a risk it is our responsibility to do something about it. To draw it to the stores attention simply pick up something on the floor to avoid a possible fall or move the item out the way with our foot (for example). It now is not just the store’s responsibility it is every citizen. It’s about caring for others and you can in effect be fined if you notice a risk and ignore it! True! As far as the store is concerned they are just opening themselves up for being sued if a customer is shoeless and then harms themselves in their store. i though don’t know the answer! Offer some cheap thongs or airline slippers to barefoot people???All you need is. broken glass jar or a remnant piece of glass and that person could be injured. So these days it’s not just the job of the supermarkets to make their shops safe but also for us to draw notice to a risk we notice in the store or anywhere we are in public.! Don’t assume someone else has reported the risk just do it it’s easy when you start doing it. I’m a noticer too which means i now with my training am more vigilant. First Aid trading too is important for everybody to if possible. I have come across several car accidents and people just stand around and have no idea how they can help any injured persons. I always ask loudly “any first aid trained people here”! In my last 2 cases there were over a dozen people and not one trained. In both these cases it was more a matter of keeping the injured person safe, sitting them down asking some questions about how they were feeling, both were in shock, reassuring them till a more trained person came to take over. In more extreme cases you can be responsible for saving their lives!!! I’m amazed how ordinary members of the public “have no idea” what to do. Just thought i’d add the first aid bit and happy to write a paragraph on it for this column. Just because we are ageing doesn’t mean we can’t be really useful in these situations. Consider doing a first aid course they are fun and you could save someone’s life or even a family member or grandchild. A really good investment in helping others! Cheers!
I respect the persons comment regarding the joy of going barefoot! I’m amazed though that supermarkets insurers don’t insist that this not be allowed because of possible injury and then possible litigation from the person not having covered their feet. Hotels have dress codes and no barefoot policies, again public places. Does that mean that if i’m a nudist and love the feeling of being unencumbered i can then go naked to a shopping centre?? I doubt others would be comfortable about that, well maybe in Ninbin years ago!! lol. There are many risks in supermarkets with so much glass, slippery goods that can leak and sharp shelving to name a few. Yeah go ahead and be barefoot but realise that making a claim against the stores insurers might be difficult if injured.

I respect the persons comment regarding the joy of going barefoot! I’m amazed though that supermarkets insurers don’t insist that this not be allowed because of possible injury and then possible litigation from the person not having covered their feet. Hotels have dress codes and no barefoot policies, again public places. Does that mean that if i’m a nudist and love the feeling of being unencumbered i can then go naked to a shopping centre?? I doubt others would be comfortable about that, well maybe in Ninbin years ago!! lol. There are many risks in supermarkets with so much glass, slippery goods that can leak and sharp shelving to name a few. Yeah go ahead and be barefoot but realise that making a claim against the stores insurers might be difficult if injured.
No problem with the particular guy it’s the principle involved.

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

I can't see anything wrong if your comfortable ,I wear thongs as finding shoes to fit my feet is hard ,I go bare foot around the house ,if I could I would never wear shoes

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

EXCUSE ME, BUT if any one wants to go bare foot thats there bloody right to do so, I bet he wears footwear at work because of Work Place Health and Safety, or a pub or nightclub, and anywhere else so designated.... But as far as I am concerned Supermarkets and the streets DO NOT HAVE THIS REGULATION.... He wasnt walking all over the fresh fruit and vegetables now was he.

When I went to school it was normal for most of the boys to go barefoot. I do believe these days that it is not hard to put on a pair of thongs to go to the supermarket. Still not going to protect you from dropping something on your foot, but might protect you from something sharp on the floor. Each to his/her own. I love walking around the house barefoot but would never go to the shop without shoes.

y wearing sandiest stubbed her

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

I wouldn’t have worried until I saw a lady wearing sandals stub her toe, she said ouch and continued on leaving smudges of blood on the floor for barefoot people to stand in.
Bit rude that you can’t go shopping without someone taking your photo.

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

GET A LIFE BLOODY HELL BAREFEET SERIOUSLY

I wouldn’t have worried until I saw a lady wearing sandals stub her toe, she said ouch and continued on leaving smudges of blood on the floor for barefoot people to stand in.
Bit rude that you can’t go shopping without someone taking your photo.
yes just so many busy bodies about interfering in other peoples business instead of minding their own... If some one was breaking the law then thats different but most in that circumstance run the other way ... "no I didnt see a thing officer"

It looks like some busybody pensioner cant keep their noses out of anyones business. Its sad when they pass the day finding fault with other people when in actual fact they are worse. Take a photo of me without permission and you wont see your phone again or it wont work.