Outrage erupts after Woolworths shopper photographed breaking societal rules

Everyone likes to dress in comfortable clothing when out running errands. But how comfortable is *too* comfortable?

Well, outrage has erupted on social media after a shopper was photographed in ‘unacceptable’ attire. But do you think it’s inappropriate?

A shopper took a snap of a fellow customer perusing the fresh produce aisle at his local Woolworths and posted it on social media. While the act of exploring the vegetable section of the store is harmless enough, it was the man’s particular choice of clothing that led to the explosive reaction of many online.

In the photo, the man in question can be seen wearing shorts, a singlet – and no shoes!

man1.jpg
Do you think this is acceptable? Credit: Facebook

In the Facebook post, the shopper admitted that he was appalled to see the man shopping with no shoes on.

‘Is there a shoe shortage in Australia? How is this acceptable on a worksite, Woolworths?’ He asked.

The post prompted strong reactions from other social media users – with many defending the shoe-less shopper.

‘How does this impact you? He isn’t wiping his feet on the fresh produce,’ one stated.

Another agreed and asked why it mattered whether the man was walking barefoot in Woolies. ‘If he wants to walk about barefoot and risk any injury, that’s surely up to him,’ they added.

‘Well, he’s not putting his feet on the food, is he?’ A third asked.

1shoe.jpg
Many defended the shoe-less man. Credit: Ray Piedra/Pexels

Another said: ‘Are you wearing shoes? If so, why does it matter that he’s happy to walk around in other people’s filth?’

Some were confused as to why the shopper considered Woolworths as a ‘worksite’, while others added that what customers wear while out shopping is not the supermarket’s responsibility.

‘How is this a “worksite”? He’s shopping, not bricklaying,’ one said.

Another shared: ‘How does this affect you in any way? Also, I am betting staff aren’t going around looking at everyone’s feet to make sure they are wearing shoes.’

While your stance on this ‘debate’ may differ, wearing shoes in public places protects your feet from nasty cuts or diseases. It would also hurt less if you accidentally stub your toe or drop something heavy that lands on your foot.

Not only that but without the support of a good pair of shoes compromises our gait and might cause our foot to collapse. According to some podiatrists, our feet are naturally arched so we need something that supports that arch. Going barefoot in public places also exposes our feet to bacterial infections that cause athlete’s foot and other fungus diseases.

For people with diabetes, going barefoot in public spaces also makes them vulnerable to getting skin infections if they sustain a scrape or cut. But, ultimately, it’s up to the individual.

But is it legal?

When it comes to the laws surrounding foot attire in public establishments, the answer is complicated. It largely depends on which state you are in, as some have different footwear laws than others. For example, Queensland requires that all people wear shoes when inside a public business such as a supermarket, however a person with medical needs may enter barefoot with a doctor’s certificate.

Victoria, however, does not require that shoes be worn unless requested by business owners for food safety regulations, so long as the customer follows regulations regarding footwear for the specific store.

This lack of uniform laws across the country has been a source of confusion for many shoppers.

While it may stress some to witness barefoot shoppers in supermarkets, Australian laws currently allow for this in some states.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper photographed a Woolworths customer wearing shorts, a singlet, and no shoes.
  • The shopper posted the image online, which prompted an angry response from people. Many defended the shoe-less shopper.
  • Others said it’s not the supermarket’s responsibility to check what their customers wear in their stores.
Do you think it’s important that we adhere to certain standards in public? How does this differ from personal preference? Tell us what you think in the comments below!

Sponsored
Bare feet can be very unhygienic and carry infections that can easily be spread to others; things like fungal infections, warts and verrucas which can be very nasty, so I think people with bare feet should be discouraged from supermarkets.
Also, people have the right to set dress standards for their premises which should be posted at the entry. Comply or stay away.
Bare feet, topless, totally naked!!! We need to draw the line on decency and respectability somewhere.
The person that brought this matter to our attention for public debate is quite right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
I don't see that it's anyone's business but the guy in question and maybe the store manager. I think the guy who took the photo may have more to worry about if the subject of the pic takes offence at having his photo plastered all over social media without his express permission. ;)

Did it ever occur to persons that his shoes maybe been left in vehicle due mud cement or even poop stood in and not wanting to mess supermarket floor. Wonder whether original poster asked this guys permission to take his photo?

So what….he doesn’t have any shoes on!!
Surely there is more in the world to be concerned about

I have been thinking about this. Ì would call the person who took the photo a predator. Unless of course it was friend or family then it's funny.

Everyone likes to dress in comfortable clothing when out running errands. But how comfortable is *too* comfortable?

Well, outrage has erupted on social media after a shopper was photographed in ‘unacceptable’ attire. But do you think it’s inappropriate?

A shopper took a snap of a fellow customer perusing the fresh produce aisle at his local Woolworths and posted it on social media. While the act of exploring the vegetable section of the store is harmless enough, it was the man’s particular choice of clothing that led to the explosive reaction of many online.

In the photo, the man in question can be seen wearing shorts, a singlet – and no shoes!

View attachment 12315

In the Facebook post, the shopper admitted that he was appalled to see the man shopping with no shoes on.

‘Is there a shoe shortage in Australia? How is this acceptable on a worksite, Woolworths?’ He asked.

The post prompted strong reactions from other social media users – with many defending the shoe-less shopper.

‘How does this impact you? He isn’t wiping his feet on the fresh produce,’ one stated.

Another agreed and asked why it mattered whether the man was walking barefoot in Woolies. ‘If he wants to walk about barefoot and risk any injury, that’s surely up to him,’ they added.

View attachment 12314

Another said: ‘Are you wearing shoes? If so, why does it matter that he’s happy to walk around in other people’s filth?’

Some were confused as to why the shopper considered Woolworths as a ‘worksite’, while others added that what customers wear while out shopping is not the supermarket’s responsibility.

Another shared: ‘How does this affect you in any way? Also, I am betting staff aren’t going around looking at everyone’s feet to make sure they are wearing shoes.’

While your stance on this ‘debate’ may differ, wearing shoes in public places protects your feet from nasty cuts or diseases. It would also hurt less if you accidentally stub your toe or drop something heavy that lands on your foot.

Not only that but without the support of a good pair of shoes compromises our gait and might cause our foot to collapse. According to some podiatrists, our feet are naturally arched so we need something that supports that arch. Going barefoot in public places also exposes our feet to bacterial infections that cause athlete’s foot and other fungus diseases.

For people with diabetes, going barefoot in public spaces also makes them vulnerable to getting skin infections if they sustain a scrape or cut. But, ultimately, it’s up to the individual.

But is it legal?

When it comes to the laws surrounding foot attire in public establishments, the answer is complicated. It largely depends on which state you are in, as some have different footwear laws than others. For example, Queensland requires that all people wear shoes when inside a public business such as a supermarket, however a person with medical needs may enter barefoot with a doctor’s certificate.

Victoria, however, does not require that shoes be worn unless requested by business owners for food safety regulations, so long as the customer follows regulations regarding footwear for the specific store.

This lack of uniform laws across the country has been a source of confusion for many shoppers.

While it may stress some to witness barefoot shoppers in supermarkets, Australian laws currently allow for this in some states.
Key Takeaways

• A shopper photographed a Woolworths customer wearing shorts, a singlet, and no shoes.
  • The shopper posted the image online, which prompted an angry response from people. Many defended the shoe-less shopper.
  • Others said it’s not the supermarket’s responsibility to check what their customers wear in their stores.
Do you think it’s important that we adhere to certain standards in public? How does this differ from personal preference? Tell us what you think in the comments below!
first the person is a shopper not an employee work place rules do not apply.
wearing some type of footwear is common sense to give your feet some protection
if this person does not care for their feet then it is their fault if anything happens to them
I personally prefer to wear some type of footwear

I go barefoot at home all the time, but not while out in public. It's a bit unhygienic I think. It also beggars the question, what if a person injures their foot or steps on something in the supermarket, slips, whatever - you can bet that person would try to sue the supermarket.

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

Apparently, we are the only species on this planet that puts something on our feet, to protect them and keep them off Earth ground.
When we were born, did we pop out of mum with shoes on, I don't think so.
How do you Know he is not grounding to Earth as that is what some people do to be connected to Earth. Did you know that soft rubber and plastic thongs and runners (sandshoes) came out in the nineteen sixties, and it is thought that is when ADD, ADHD etc started to increase in the world, because people were insulated from earth and not grounded.
Previous to thongs and runners (sandshoes), were shoes made from leather and they were nailed together on the bottom of the shoes and people were all-ways grounded, through their sweat in the leather to the nails, thus grounded.
Our bodies have small amounts of excess voltage in our systems and, walking around with bare feet helps to eliminate this voltage.
But now days grounding is getting harder to achieve because most of the roads, walkways, paths are concrete and bitumen, the floor of your house or shopping center is either tiles, lino or carpet, and none of this is very good for grounding.
The only good grounding is grass, dirt, the sea, rivers and creeks, and best of all it cost you nothing to walk around barefoot. to help improve your health.
I know I am going to cop a lot of flak from some readers of the Senior Discount Club, but it has to be told, and what better place to talk about this than this club.
Most of us members here with this Club, I bet, used to run around everywhere, barefooted, when we children and probably went to school barefooted and played sports barefooted, plus we used to have leather shoes for going out somewhere.
It is only since rubber thongs, rubber runners, and rubber soles on leather shoes, that we all started to wear these items in the late 1950's and early 1960's. It can be said that is when the world started to experience these new unknown diseases, which I mentioned above, that we have now.
Kids nowadays when they play must be wrapped up in cotton wool to protect themselves, whereas we used to get knocked down and get up again and continue on playing even though we are hurting inside.
I hope members will respond positively with their own thoughts on what I have written about as some of the younger people are very ill from these debilitating diseases.
I think that the guy walking around barefoot is a normal practice that should be started to help improve everyone's health.

Is this all these people have to whinge about ..seriously.

Pleaseeeee he has descently dressed

If he were to step on something and gets injured then it's his responsibility

Did the photographer of this photo get permission from this man to take his picture and post it !!!!

Becareful YOU maybe the next one they photograph and put on line.

Reactions: Judibing
I live in a holiday resort and although I would never walk anywhere without shoes, I am so used to seeing people walking almost everywhere without shoes that it no longer seems strange to me. I do wonder about those with bare feet when the temperature is 5 degrees and it’s raining- but it’s their problem, not mine. Many restaurants have ‘No shirt, no shoes, no service’ at the door and no one complains, they comply. There are far too many interfering people around these days. And as for posting photographs of complete strangers without their permission (I am assuming) on social media - that is a bridge too far.

What if someone went shopping in a pair of bikinis or budgie smugglers with that be acceptable with thongs on. I don’t think so, if you gonna go out in public, go out respectable with shoes on your feet just my opinion

I remember playing outside and walk at home, without shoes, when we were kids. We played on dirt, on puddles, on sand, climbed trees, you name it, and there we were.
Now, I hate feeling anything under my feet, as they became very sensitive. I would never go barefoot in public due to higiene and safety.
People these days like to point the finger at others. We all have a choice and the right to do so, therefore, others should mind their own businesses. 🤨🤨

Bare feet can be very unhygienic and carry infections that can easily be spread to others; things like fungal infections, warts and verrucas which can be very nasty, so I think people with bare feet should be discouraged from supermarkets.
Also, people have the right to set dress standards for their premises which should be posted at the entry. Comply or stay away.
Bare feet, topless, totally naked!!! We need to draw the line on decency and respectability somewhere.
The person that brought this matter to our attention for public debate is quite right.
Can spread infections to others, are you all there? The only way infection can spread is if you are also wearing no shoes and normally your feet have to be wet or damaged for that to happen. There is more damage and germs spread through people handling fruit and veggies than wearing no shoes. Draw a line in the sand for that, and think before you speak through your rear end.

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

As a teen living in a beachside suburb very few of us ever wore shoes. However the more salient point her is did the photographer seek permission from the shoeless man to enable him to publish the photo on a public forum if so did he obtain a release form? It is my understanding that publishing a photo without obtaining permission is illegal.

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

Do you think it’s important that we adhere to certain standards in public? How does this differ from personal preference? Tell us what you think in the comments below
Standards have been dropping for years; not only in the way people dress but also their behaviour. I personally would never go shoeless (due to all the germs on the ground where dogs do their business and what else goes there) or wear my sleeping attire to go shopping and I never discuss my private business with all and sundry (called over-sharing I believe). However others do. I am glad I grew up in the era in which I did; would hate to be a 20 year old now!

As a teen living in a beachside suburb very few of us ever wore shoes. However the more salient point her is did the photographer seek permission from the shoeless man to enable him to publish the photo on a public forum if so did he obtain a release form? It is my understanding that publishing a photo without obtaining permission is illegal.
I don't think it is illegal. Look at all the photos taken of celebrities when they are out and about. As long as in public I believe it is OK

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways

Shoes should be compulsory in all shops esp food stores. It’s gross and unhygienic to go barefoot

Having been fully trained in Occupational Health and Safety the legislation for all states in Australia are now very clear that if anyone and that includes you and I notice a risk it is our responsibility to do something about it. To draw it to the stores attention simply pick up something on the floor to avoid a possible fall or move the item out the way with our foot (for example). It now is not just the store’s responsibility it is every citizen. It’s about caring for others and you can in effect be fined if you notice a risk and ignore it! True! As far as the store is concerned they are just opening themselves up for being sued if a customer is shoeless and then harms themselves in their store. i though don’t know the answer! Offer some cheap thongs or airline slippers to barefoot people???All you need is. broken glass jar or a remnant piece of glass and that person could be injured. So these days it’s not just the job of the supermarkets to make their shops safe but also for us to draw notice to a risk we notice in the store or anywhere we are in public.! Don’t assume someone else has reported the risk just do it it’s easy when you start doing it. I’m a noticer too which means i now with my training am more vigilant. First Aid trading too is important for everybody to if possible. I have come across several car accidents and people just stand around and have no idea how they can help any injured persons. I always ask loudly “any first aid trained people here”! In my last 2 cases there were over a dozen people and not one trained. In both these cases it was more a matter of keeping the injured person safe, sitting them down asking some questions about how they were feeling, both were in shock, reassuring them till a more trained person came to take over. In more extreme cases you can be responsible for saving their lives!!! I’m amazed how ordinary members of the public “have no idea” what to do. Just thought i’d add the first aid bit and happy to write a paragraph on it for this column. Just because we are ageing doesn’t mean we can’t be really useful in these situations. Consider doing a first aid course they are fun and you could save someone’s life or even a family member or grandchild. A really good investment in helping others! Cheers!
What a marvellous contribution you have made BrettOr. I too, believe that everyone should complete a First Aid Certificate in order that if necessary we can help our fellow folk if the need arises. I was totally unaware that we could be fined if we noticed a risk and ignored it. I suppose it is exactly like they say if you do nothing, you are complicit and agreeing with the situation. You are a very caring and considerate person, and it is people like you in our community who help to open the eyes of others who do not consider all of the ramifications of such behaviour. Thank you for sharing your post, I hope that others will listen and take your advice about the First Aid Certificate and keep their eyes peeled for future possible accidents to make sure that everyone can be aware of the dangers.
Forewarned is Forearmed.

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 12315

View attachment 12314

But is it legal?

Key Takeaways