Outrage ensues as delivery driver's 'lazy' attempt to deliver parcel is caught on camera

Many have seen their fair share of the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to service workers—be it cashiers, plumbers, or delivery drivers.

Unfortunately, it's the ill-behaved ones that often hit the headlines, and we recently came across a tale that's been raising eyebrows of Australians everywhere.

As we all know, the holidays are a time of joy, love, and many parcel deliveries. Many presents exchanged are bought online and sent straight to the doors of loved ones.

Of course, this puts a lot of pressure on couriers, but we expect them to do their jobs professionally regardless.

However, a delivery driver in Narellan, NSW, failed to meet this expectation as his shoddy attempt to deliver a package was caught on the resident's CCTV camera, sparking outrage from many who have seen the footage.

SDC 4.png
A delivery driver’s alleged ‘lazy' attempt at delivering a parcel was captured on camera and shared on social media. Image source: Facebook.

As seen in the video, the delivery man approaches the home, knocks on the door, rings the doorbell, and within mere seconds backs away from the door.

The quick retreat was followed by a swift photo of the home (presumably as evidence of his 'delivery' attempt) before making a brisk exit with the parcel still in his hand.

The bewildered resident was at home during the visit, which allegedly took less than 30 seconds, working from his office next to the front door.

He had momentarily gone upstairs and returned to find an 'attempted delivery' notification.

'I was home,' the homeowner shared. 'The window to my office next to the front door was open, I had just gone upstairs for a moment. Am I wrong to be upset by this?'

Understandably, he was upset that he had to collect his package from the local post office due to the driver's lack of patience.

Once the resident shared the video online, a wave of supporting comments from equally frustrated Australians came rolling in.

One person voiced the thoughts of many when they said: 'Even if you hadn’t been upstairs who’s answering the door that quick? I’d be upset as well.'

Another justifiably labelled the driver’s lack of effort as 'lazy' as they gave so little time for the resident to answer the door.

'Man's got no patience,' added a third.

Moreover, a frustratingly similar video was shared by a second resident in the area, who believes it's the same delivery man.

Just like the first incident, the delivery driver was seen knocking and quickly fleeing the scene—this time, even leaving the parcel on the grass as he rushed off.

'We did report it a few weeks ago, but clearly, it didn’t change his behaviour,' the second resident shared.

As of writing, the identity of the company employing the driver remains unknown.

In other news, cut-off dates for the upcoming holidays have been shared by Australia Post to ensure gifts sent through couriers arrive in time for Christmas.

Parcels sent to and from destinations within Australia through Parcel Post should be sent by Monday, December 18.

As for Express Post parcels, the deadline is on Thursday, December 21.

Meanwhile, for parcels sent to or from Western Australia or the Northern Territory, a few extra days should be allotted, according to Australia Post.

You can read more about AusPost’s announcement and the cut-off schedule here.
Key Takeaways
  • A delivery driver in Narellan, NSW, has been criticised for his alleged ‘lazy’ attempt at delivering a parcel to its rightful owner.
  • The driver's actions, which included knocking and ringing the doorbell, taking a photo of the house, and leaving all in under 30 seconds, were caught on the resident's CCTV.
  • Despite the resident being home then, the delivery driver reported that no one was there to receive the parcel, which meant the parcel now had to be collected from the local post office.
  • Another resident in the area believed that the same driver displayed similar behaviour a few weeks prior, dropping the parcel on the grass and hastily leaving.
Members, have you experienced something similar before? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Many have seen their fair share of the good, the bad, and the ugly when it comes to service workers—be it cashiers, plumbers, or delivery drivers.

Unfortunately, it's the ill-behaved ones that often hit the headlines, and we recently came across a tale that's been raising eyebrows of Australians everywhere.

As we all know, the holidays are a time of joy, love, and many parcel deliveries. Many presents exchanged are bought online and sent straight to the doors of loved ones.

Of course, this puts a lot of pressure on couriers, but we expect them to do their jobs professionally regardless.

However, a delivery driver in Narellan, NSW, failed to meet this expectation as his shoddy attempt to deliver a package was caught on the resident's CCTV camera, sparking outrage from many who have seen the footage.

View attachment 35248
A delivery driver’s alleged ‘lazy' attempt at delivering a parcel was captured on camera and shared on social media. Image source: Facebook.

As seen in the video, the delivery man approaches the home, knocks on the door, rings the doorbell, and within mere seconds backs away from the door.

The quick retreat was followed by a swift photo of the home (presumably as evidence of his 'delivery' attempt) before making a brisk exit with the parcel still in his hand.

The bewildered resident was at home during the visit, which allegedly took less than 30 seconds, working from his office next to the front door.

He had momentarily gone upstairs and returned to find an 'attempted delivery' notification.

'I was home,' the homeowner shared. 'The window to my office next to the front door was open, I had just gone upstairs for a moment. Am I wrong to be upset by this?'

Understandably, he was upset that he had to collect his package from the local post office due to the driver's lack of patience.

Once the resident shared the video online, a wave of supporting comments from equally frustrated Australians came rolling in.

One person voiced the thoughts of many when they said: 'Even if you hadn’t been upstairs who’s answering the door that quick? I’d be upset as well.'

Another justifiably labelled the driver’s lack of effort as 'lazy' as they gave so little time for the resident to answer the door.

Moreover, a frustratingly similar video was shared by a second resident in the area, who believes it's the same delivery man.

Just like the first incident, the delivery driver was seen knocking and quickly fleeing the scene—this time, even leaving the parcel on the grass as he rushed off.

'We did report it a few weeks ago, but clearly, it didn’t change his behaviour,' the second resident shared.

As of writing, the identity of the company employing the driver remains unknown.

In other news, cut-off dates for the upcoming holidays have been shared by Australia Post to ensure gifts sent through couriers arrive in time for Christmas.

Parcels sent to and from destinations within Australia through Parcel Post should be sent by Monday, December 18.

Meanwhile, for parcels sent to or from Western Australia or the Northern Territory, a few extra days should be allotted, according to Australia Post.

Key Takeaways

• A delivery driver in Narellan, NSW, has been criticised for his alleged ‘lazy’ attempt at delivering a parcel to its rightful owner.
  • The driver's actions, which included knocking and ringing the doorbell, taking a photo of the house, and leaving all in under 30 seconds, were caught on the resident's CCTV.
  • Despite the resident being home then, the delivery driver reported that no one was there to receive the parcel, which meant the parcel now had to be collected from the local post office.
  • Another resident in the area believed that the same driver displayed similar behaviour a few weeks prior, dropping the parcel on the grass and hastily leaving.
Members, have you experienced something similar before? Share your experience with us in the comments below!
Yes, I had this done to me twice in the same week, a couple of weeks ago, and we were home both times. Whoever was making the delivery didn’t even ring the bell, the first time and I received notification via the Australia Post app to say the parcel was taken to the post office. The second time, they left a card but also didn’t bother to knock or ring the bell.
I don’t get it!! Very frustrating!!

View attachment 35248

Key Takeaways

They are usually sub contractors that get paid pittance. Like most industries there is a lot of skimming of the cream and front end staff miss out.. Be interesting to know how much he gets paid for "piece" work.

Yes, I had this done to me twice in the same week, a couple of weeks ago, and we were home both times. Whoever was making the delivery didn’t even ring the bell, the first time and I received notification via the Australia Post app to say the parcel was taken to the post office. The second time, they left a card but also didn’t bother to knock or ring the bell.
Yes this happens a lot

Reactions: Ezzy
I had to pick up a parcel from the post office just before Christmas. The next day the delivery guy knocked on my door and apologised for taking it there. He said it was raining and he didn’t want it to get wet as he couldn’t find a dry spot to leave it. I thanked him for his thoughtfulness.

It has happened to me too 😳

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the time allocated for delivery if a certain number of items 🤔

They are usually sub contractors that get paid pittance. Like most industries there is a lot of skimming of the cream and front end staff miss out.. Be interesting to know how much he gets paid for "piece" work.
Yes, I've been wondering that too.

Reactions: Nichola
I have experienced the same from a specific freight company whose name rhymes with Fraudster. I get a message from them (on two separate occasions) saying "attempted delivery failed" when clearly, no delivery was attempted as the security camera proves, our two four legged security cameras who would usually bark at a fly were absolutely quiet, not to mention that our bay window gives us a panoramic view of the court.
I complained to the sellers who use a certain company whose name rhymes with piffle which then passes the parcel on to fraudster, their subsidiary, to, as they put it, "deliver the last mile", which makes no attempt to deliver except after e-mailing them back and forth. Neither company provides phone contact numbers. One package was delivered almost two months later! The reviews on both companies ar terrible.
At my request, the sellers agreed not to use those two freight companies.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM

View attachment 35248

Key Takeaways

I had a similar experience the delivery driver called out something mumbled and he was just about to close door to van when I opened my door
I asked why he didn’t ring doorbell .. he left very unhappy but if I get another by him I’ll be very wary and I think he maybe too after I put him to shame

Reactions: Ezzy and Hel
Being a ‘sub-contractor and on a pittance wage’, as you say, makes no difference. He has had to drive to the address, walk close enough to the door and take a photo of the premises. That should be enough time to ring the doorbell also.

I recently had a package delivered to my door without the doorbell being rung, and we were home; unfortunately it was for another unknown person, supposedly at my address. To date I have not been able to find that person & the vendor now tells me to do what I like with it. If I had the chance to answer the door I would have said there is no one at my address by that name & the package would have been returned by the delivery company to the vendor to sort it out. Now someone is missing their Christmas gift because no one rang my doorbell.

Shame, shame.

View attachment 35248

Key Takeaways

I had a similar experience the delivery driver called out something mumbled and he was just about to close door to van when I opened my door
I asked why he didn’t ring doorbell .. he left very unhappy but if I get another by him I’ll be very wary and I think he maybe too after I put him to shame
As a hard working delivery driver it annoys me to see sub standard delivery attempts such as this but I have also been accused of a similar undertaking having spent several minutes at the door and at my van afterwards, when nobody bothered to answer the door.
So it's not all a one way street and customers aren't always right, actually sometimes customers are idiots and will then highlight situations like this to get you in trouble when they were at fault by not answering the door.
So, whilst stripping this bloke of his working dignity, please remember that the vast majority of Couriers do the right thing and it's only the small minority that give us all a bad name.
Customers however, can have a much worse response from us when they think we have all day to stand at their front door and deliver their parcel!

Sign of the times. No care for service just about self not others. It starts from the top - just about money and meeting targets, forget about people (especially in people businesses). There is such a loss of connection nowadays with management, the workers and customers. We all need to work together more.

We are lucky to still have our local postman who will stop for a chat and go that little extra mile like bringing the mail in to us when I was sick. Gone are the days where you knew your local delivery people and shop assistants. I suppose we are so lucky living in a small community, it has its advantages where people look out for each other and provide good service that is personal, people know you and go that extra mile.

I purchased an item from a company in Adelaide 14thDecember who use Aramex as their delivery company I assumed it would arrive in time for Christmas [wrong!] I received a tracking number and it was in their Sydney depot 17th December It remained there till today 28th December ???No further tracking available or communication I have had numerous problems with deliveries from them in the past I will in future endeavour to find out who is delivering the goods I purchase to avoid frustration Why do companies use these obviously cheap unreliable delivery services I would prefer to pay more and have a quick reliable delivery No wonder Amazon are so successful

Being a ‘sub-contractor and on a pittance wage’, as you say, makes no difference. He has had to drive to the address, walk close enough to the door and take a photo of the premises. That should be enough time to ring the doorbell also.

I recently had a package delivered to my door without the doorbell being rung, and we were home; unfortunately it was for another unknown person, supposedly at my address. To date I have not been able to find that person & the vendor now tells me to do what I like with it. If I had the chance to answer the door I would have said there is no one at my address by that name & the package would have been returned by the delivery company to the vendor to sort it out. Now someone is missing their Christmas gift because no one rang my doorbell.

Shame, shame.
Obviously, something made a difference. Again you can be angry. But society is what we have made it.

As a hard working delivery driver it annoys me to see sub standard delivery attempts such as this but I have also been accused of a similar undertaking having spent several minutes at the door and at my van afterwards, when nobody bothered to answer the door.
So it's not all a one way street and customers aren't always right, actually sometimes customers are idiots and will then highlight situations like this to get you in trouble when they were at fault by not answering the door.
So, whilst stripping this bloke of his working dignity, please remember that the vast majority of Couriers do the right thing and it's only the small minority that give us all a bad name.
Customers however, can have a much worse response from us when they think we have all day to stand at their front door and deliver their parcel!
Two sides to every story. 👍🏻

Reactions: Bridgit and Knell
I have startled some having already opened the door, and wait for them to reach the door, and then I speak as I open the screen door, as they go to walk away without having knocked or bell rung. It takes me 8 steps to reach the door when I see them at my drive. It takes them 60 steps to reach my door! So I was waiting but the screen door is a security one, so unless they put their face onto it, would not see me standing there. We aren't asking for them to wait 5 mins, but come on, less than 15 seconds and they are gone

I'm sorry, but I'm on the delivery driver's side with this one. In the month leading-up to Christmas, there's simply no time to just stand and wait without knowing if anyone is home. Why didn't the owner just call out "hang on a sec" like most people do if there's a knock on the door and you can't get there straight away? 20-30 seconds is plenty of time just to make your presence known.

• Angry
Reactions: siameezer and DLHM

View attachment 35248

Key Takeaways

I work in a care setting, which is manned 24/7 with nursing staff. However the morning of my delivery the door bell rang and by the time I got there, less than 2 minutes, the delivery man was already writing the docket. As you can imagine, I got abit cranky (Karen by name, and can be!). It took him longer to write the docket than for me to answer the door.
If I was not home, fine, if there was no-one to answer the door, Ok. But when people are available to answer, I pay for delivery to my address of choice, the parcel should be delivered there or every opportunity made so.

Rads, I have the greatest respect for a job well done, regardless of the job or status of the person doing it.