Outrage as speed cameras destroy Aussie lawns - is your neighborhood next?

The quintessential Australian lawn, a symbol of suburban pride and a testament to the homeowner's dedication to their patch of green, has recently become the collateral damage in the ongoing battle against speeding. In a recent incident that has sparked widespread frustration, a mobile speed camera was called out for 'ripping up' nature strips and leaving deep tyre tracks in its wake on a busy road in Lindfield, Sydney's north.

This isn't an isolated case. Across the country, residents have been voicing their discontent after witnessing the destruction of grass verges by speed detection vehicles. The issue has been exacerbated by the recent wet weather, turning these green spaces into 'messes of mud.' One local, fed up with the recurring sight of government vehicles parked on the verge, took to the internet to vent her frustration and seek a solution. 'How do we stop these speed checking cars from parking on the green verge?' she implored. 'Surely they can check our speed from a legally parked car on the road?'

Screenshot 2024-06-14 102419.png
A resident slammed a mobile speed camera for damaging a nature strip. Image source: Facebook

Her complaint resonated with many Aussies who shared their own experiences and concerns. Some humorously suggested that the traffic officers were simply trying to 'raise revenue' to repair the grass they had 'chewed up.' Others pointed out that the focus should be on addressing potholes and other road deficiencies rather than inflicting further damage on the environment.

The placement of speed cameras has long been a contentious issue, with many Australians feeling that they are often positioned in 'sneaky' locations to catch unsuspecting drivers. Recent claims have emerged of mobile speed cameras hiding behind parked cars on a highway in Kingswood, making them difficult for drivers to detect. In another instance, frustration boiled over when a speed camera warning sign was obscured by a wheelie bin on the side of the curb in Sydney's west.

Despite the public outcry, it turns out that a number of government vehicles, including mobile speed cameras, AusPost workers, and road maintenance vehicles, are legally permitted to drive and park on nature strips. This was highlighted in April when a Gold Coast resident was left fuming after an AusPost worker drove over his front lawn on a motorbike, causing visible damage. However, as long as the worker didn't intentionally cause damage, they technically weren't breaking any rules by driving on the grass. The same legislation applies to the speed detection vehicle in Lindfield.

The question remains: is there a balance to be struck between law enforcement and the preservation of our suburban landscapes? While the need for speed regulation is undeniable for the safety of all road users, the methods employed should not come at the expense of the community's green spaces. It's a debate that continues to divide opinion, with many calling for a review of the rules that allow such practices.

As we navigate the complexities of modern living, where safety and aesthetics often collide, it's essential to consider the impact of our actions on the environment and community values. The destruction of lawns by speed cameras may seem trivial to some, but for many Australians, it's a matter of principle and respect for their hard-earned slice of the great outdoors.
Key Takeaways
  • A speed detection vehicle was criticised for damaging the grass verge in Lindfield, Sydney, leading to complaints from locals.
  • There have been multiple instances where mobile speed cameras in Sydney have been accused of being placed in 'sneaky' locations.
  • Government vehicles, including mobile speed cameras, are legally permitted to drive and park on nature strips.
  • The public's concern is aggravated by perceptions that speed cameras are more focussed on revenue raising than addressing actual road safety issues like pothole repairs.
We at the Seniors Discount Club invite you to share your thoughts and experiences. Have you noticed similar issues in your neighborhood? What do you think should be done to address this problem? Let us know in the comments below, and if you have a story tip, feel free to reach out to us or email [email protected]. Together, we can keep our communities safe and our lawns intact.

Sponsored
Road Maintenance Vehicles would cause much deeper tyre marks than that type of Police car would. There is obviously a lot of speeding traffic in the area -some people would say people are using it as a "speedway". I can visualize vehicles coming down that slope not lifting their their foot off the accellator or using their brakes at all.
I don't condone any vehicle being parked like that unless there is a genuine emergency situation.

Reactions: natalielocket
They are nothing but revenue raisers nothing more i have heard of a driver getting caught 5 times in one day before those signs were put out but if you are doing the speed limit you wont get caught the lawn repair bill should be sent to the relevent authority by the council fine them for lawn damage and repairs they should not be allowed to park there at all unless its a emergency

Reactions: marni
State Government owned vehicle on land owned by a State Government Controlled Council.

Remember:
Fix the things you can change,
Accept the things you can't, and
Learn to recognise the difference.

If the council allows this then they should maintain the nature strip as well. Because if we park on the nature we will get a parking infringement. Even though we have maintain it. One rule for one and another rule for us.

As an ex postie it can be very difficult to access a letter box due to how it was set up. Ask your postie where to install it. When I was building my house even though I was a postie and had a pretty good idea where to put it, I still asked my postie to plan it. It works and nobody drives over my verge.

Reactions: natalielocket
I had that arguement with the council years ago ove the misplacement of a big bin. I had requested it be put on my lawn unfrtunateely they put it on the nature strip, result shitty complaint from smarmy council bastard jobsworth council tosser, who inform/tld me to tomove it. This was on a Tuesday and I could \'nt get it picked up before Friday?That's when the jobsworth srted ranting about it being council property? A remark akin to a red rag to a bull, I innocently asked asit belonged to the council when did they mow it? their reply that it usually was up to the house owner to maintain it. He evntually belived me when I told him that I didn't care how long it grew I would'nt be cutting it and that smack in the middle of the property was apost painted white with a red top designated for the Fire Brigade, and that my property started behind this post and that I'd run a string line and cut my grass up to it with a pair of bastard pinking shears if necessary. His last comment was that was I sure that could'nt get ip picked bfore Friday, Bleeding Eejit oh I did offer to to obtain the flashing signs from the council , but that was a non go? Apologies if a bit long winded but I have nothing better to do, so thank you and Adios?

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Four flat tyres on the offending vehicle might make the "authorities" think twice....
Letting down the tyres on a police vehicle is a crime in moststates, and it does carry a potential prison sentence.

I believe that you are more likely to be imprisoned for it than if you break into someone's home and force them to give you their car keys.

"Justice!!!, no sorry don't know that word." Said the judge.

Reactions: magpie1
State Government owned vehicle on land owned by a State Government Controlled Council.

Remember:
Crikey! Thirty-one words telling us NOTHING!

THEY expect US to keep THEIR nature strips neat and tidy. Time to have their vehicles towed away. With or without the occupants.

Letting down the tyres on a police vehicle is a crime in moststates, and it does carry a potential prison sentence.

I believe that you are more likely to be imprisoned for it than if you break into someone's home and force them to give you their car keys.

"Justice!!!, no sorry don't know that word." Said the judge.
Mobile speed cameras are not operated by police and are not operated in police vehicles in NSW, Victoria and Western Australia. These operations are contracted out to a company called G4S Australia and New Zealand, based in St Kilda, Melbourne. They provide a broad range of security services, to entities including Federal and State governments, courts and prisons throughout Australia.

Mobile speed cameras are not operated by police and are not operated in police vehicles in NSW, Victoria and Western Australia. These operations are contracted out to a company called G4S Australia and New Zealand, based in St Kilda, Melbourne. They provide a broad range of security services, to entities including Federal and State governments, courts and prisons throughout Australia.
Perhaps, but when one was attacked recently it was treated as if it was a police vehicle.

Of course, if you feel willing to test the law on this, go ahead.

Crikey! Thirty-one words telling us NOTHING!

THEY expect US to keep THEIR nature strips neat and tidy. Time to have their vehicles towed away. With or without the occupants.
How about this:

Unless you are a police officer, acting under the law, you don't have the authority to order a speed camera, or any other government or council vehicle, towed away.

But if you call out a tow truck you will be liable for the call out and return to base fees of the towing service.

Remember:
And learn not to speed then these vehicles would be sent to another area more in need. There were three in a matter of 10 kilometres near us, so glad that we are safer in this area.

Perhaps, but when one was attacked recently it was treated as if it was a police vehicle.

Of course, if you feel willing to test the law on this, go ahead.
Just as an aside, several years ago in Canberra, a bunch of smart buggers decided to the remove the plates from a mobile speed camera vehicle and replace their own with them. They proceeded to drive while speeding countless times past the camera, getting snapped at each pass. I believe they were never caught.

G4 started in the UK when the government privatised prison security. They became famous for losing prisoners.