Organisation guru shares HASSLE-FREE hack for keeping lettuce fresh for longer

If you're looking for a way to make your lettuce heads last a little longer, then you might want to try this simple hack from Australian organisation guru Anita Birges.

Ms Birges, who runs the organising group Mise en Place Professional Organising, recommended detaching the lettuce's core and covering the rest of the head in aluminium foil before placing it in the fridge.

Credit: Instagram/@mise_en_place_aus

"It's a must-know," she said in a video posted to her popular Instagram and TikTok pages.

The trick is said to help keep the lettuce fresher for longer, which is handy given that prices for Cos and Iceberg lettuce have been known to reach as high as $7 per head in some parts of Australia.

VOVS2WLSvCOrdWzB08f40t7YnY1A84F1Rz6X22ooz69UY_m0fF572xVPV0StMjQaAd4YnaEuRfF_T-sk0MbLi-FKNETXeKobwKPaxj4I4XyFGMEIPW1MfY8ddoAQS38OQhtYvf6bLONXSbuR

The hack does not only allow you to enjoy your lettuce for longer, but can also help you save money, especially since Cos and Iceberg lettuce currently cost around $7. Credit: Instagram/@mise_en_place_aus.

Anita said in the video: "If you want to extend the life of your lettuce and make cutting up a salad a breeze - then this is the hack for you."

It should be noted that while the process requires the removal of the core of the lettuce, you will not be needing to use a knife to do so.

"First, slam your lettuce down onto a chopping board and then remove the core," the organisation guru instructed.

Next, wrap your lettuce in aluminium foil and put it in the fridge to keep it fresher for longer and stop it wilting.

The video instantly went viral across social media platforms, garnering more than 100,000 views and hundreds of comments from astounded users.

One woman said: "I wrap mine in a paper towel - works super well too."

"The aluminium foil trick works for celery as well!" another said.

"Most leafy greens should do the trick."

A third chimed in: "This hack is excellent. I tried it and got two weeks of fresh lettuce."

Do you know of any other tips for prolonging the freshness of lettuce? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

Sponsored

If you're looking for a way to make your lettuce heads last a little longer, then you might want to try this simple hack from Australian organisation guru Anita Birges.

Ms Birges, who runs the organising group Mise en Place Professional Organising, recommended detaching the lettuce's core and covering the rest of the head in aluminium foil before placing it in the fridge.

"It's a must-know," she said in a video posted to her popular Instagram and TikTok pages.

The trick is said to help keep the lettuce fresher for longer, which is handy given that prices for Cos and Iceberg lettuce have been known to reach as high as $7 per head in some parts of Australia.

VOVS2WLSvCOrdWzB08f40t7YnY1A84F1Rz6X22ooz69UY_m0fF572xVPV0StMjQaAd4YnaEuRfF_T-sk0MbLi-FKNETXeKobwKPaxj4I4XyFGMEIPW1MfY8ddoAQS38OQhtYvf6bLONXSbuR

The hack does not only allow you to enjoy your lettuce for longer, but can also help you save money, especially since Cos and Iceberg lettuce currently cost around $7. Credit: Instagram/@mise_en_place_aus.

Anita said in the video: "If you want to extend the life of your lettuce and make cutting up a salad a breeze - then this is the hack for you."

It should be noted that while the process requires the removal of the core of the lettuce, you will not be needing to use a knife to do so.

"First, slam your lettuce down onto a chopping board and then remove the core," the organisation guru instructed.

Next, wrap your lettuce in aluminium foil and put it in the fridge to keep it fresher for longer and stop it wilting.

The video instantly went viral across social media platforms, garnering more than 100,000 views and hundreds of comments from astounded users.

A third chimed in: "This hack is excellent. I tried it and got two weeks of fresh lettuce."

Do you know of any other tips for prolonging the freshness of lettuce? Share them with us in the comments below so other members of the SDC can use them too!

I have a Tupperware container specifically for lettuce. Perfect

I wash my lettuce let it drain then put in a sealed plastic container with a paper towel on the bottom, keeps the lettuce fresh.

This is a very old tip. My mother told me this about 40 years ago and I’ve been doing it ever since. Once you put a metal knife to your lettuce it will start to go brown

My Tupperware lettuce crisper does the job successfully.
At the Tupperware demonstration when I bought it fifty years ago, we were advised to remove the core before storing the lettuce, either by a quick bang of the lettuce on the bench (not the metal sink) or floor (with a plastic bag underneath it), or cut it out with a plastic knife.
Either method works well for me, with no bruising or browning. A piece of paper towel over the top of the lettuce absorbs moisture, and is replaced every second day.

Old fashioned Tupperware lettuce keeper. Brilliant.

This works for me, I take out the core by bangingthe lettuce on a hard surface & twisting it out, then i wash the lettuce & leave it sitting on a glass or mug to drain for about 10mins , cover the bottom with paper towel & put in a clean plastic bag twist the bag closed & keep it in the fridge .Remove the amount of leaves when needed rewrap & put back in fridge.

Tupperware for not only your lettuce.......make contact withTupperware today for a guide to your needs. Only way to go.

Reactions: Iggydi and Ricci

I cut the stem slightly and place a wet paper towel around the stem then place the lettuce in a large
sealable plastic bag. The lettuce will last around 3 weeks. I wash and reuse the bags

Old news!!! Been doing this for 60+ years

I wrap the lettuce in a papertowel and I then place it in a plastic bag and pit in the crisper drawer of the fridge. We went away for 10 days and the lettuce was still fresh and crisp when we returned!