Optus is increasing mobile phone bills – check your emails to know if you're affected

Select Optus customers will soon see a $4 monthly price increase on their mobile plans.

It seems that only customers with older plans—more specifically, those who enrolled before the May 2021 price increase—will experience the change.

This means that if you joined Optus before May 2021, you will now pay the same monthly price as Optus' current range of mobile plans, but you will also get more data.

If you joined Optus after May 2021, you shouldn't see any changes in your monthly bill.

Following this week's announcement of the price increase to affected users by the telecom giant, customers have been urged to check their emails.

7s1u2eK8PfrXvLw0K0GssX2Z6ONDXG-tJzGhWEyQg9waBOVF8ly99U6WmvcP8ha7gQOWNBQLa3jTbEFjcYwC-vu5VXW-PWUxZzTwg51vFu1MRIak_MrYOGT5goysVuzNEi5g27NmwbB1Po2xNqg

Optus has said that the new price increase will happen next month. Credit: AAP Image.

A representative from Optus issued a statement to a news network in which they admitted that the price hike would be a hardship for many customers, particularly those who are currently struggling financially.

"Our ongoing investment in expanding and upgrading services, the growing data demands on our network, and increasing costs of goods and services, means we’ve made the difficult decision to increase the price on selected mobile plans," said the spokesperson.

"Optus will continue to strive to deliver extraordinary value, meaningful differentiation and choice for our customers."

The telecommunications company reports that it has directly contacted those customers who will be adversely affected by the price increase, which will become effective on August 8, 2022.

"We do recognise there have been a lot of hits on customers’ hip pockets – mortgage increases, transport, petrol – and that many are struggling financially," the spokesperson continued.

"We have specially trained teams who can assist customers experiencing hardship and design a plan that will help them through hard times and get back on their feet."

xbIi-v6I9Qu90ecZpBRYeynZVa3ojACZkjbLT0DzHolbdYgDlTkrtw9Ygw5RJywqKdYlD9LWFSiYCTUeJSnNaVfueE-QmgPM27miDOyk_MeNOVQTH7ohCmAmvoE_06TpBrxVZkPPzOYVIN9cLgM

On social media, customers have talked about how upset they are about the price hike. Credit: Snug Safety.

On social media, many Facebook users have expressed their concerns in response to news of the price increase, prompting backlash.

One Optus customer warned his fellow subscribers to "check their emails" in case they weren’t aware of the price increase, saying: "Heads up for those with Optus plans, they’re upping their prices, even though still in contract."

Another user added, "I got this as well. Not impressed! I didn’t think they could change the price on a contract."

"This is really hitting me where it hurts. Groceries, mortgage, all way up - now this. Enough is enough," said a third.

Customers who are having difficulty making their monthly payments were encouraged by other users to get in touch with Optus and discuss the various payment plans that are available to them.

"Have seen lots of people unhappy with their Optus plans. I just got $10 off a month," said one, adding: "Send them a message. It took me talking to 3 different people and most of the morning, but was worth it."

A second user agreed and chimed in, saying: "Worth taking it up with Optus if, like me, you object to them putting up the price on your plan. Ten-minute chat and I get $5 off for the next 12 months, so I’ll actually save $1 a month now."

Members, if you're looking for a less expensive mobile plan, check out this comprehensive list of the best SIM-only plans in Australia, created by the people at WhistleOut. You might find it useful in your search!

Sponsored
Isn't it funny how all these major suppliers of goods and services find they have to put up their prices at the same time? I'm so over this, the pie from which I'm cutting all these increases is still the same size, something is going to have to give.:(

Yes, Telstra is increasing the cost of their plans as well, but we do not get anything extra for this increase. They say that it is in line with the CPI.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci