Op shop find prompts cost-of-living conversation: ‘I nearly fell over’

The cost of living crisis in Australia has been a hot topic of discussion for some time now. After all, it has left nothing unscathed, and as a result, many Aussies have kept a closer eye on spending.

One if its many victims: thrift shopping. Popping into your local op shop can be a fun day out, and finding that lovely skirt or a pair of boots to add to your wardrobe while supporting a good cause.

However, an eye-popping discovery in a Sydney charity shop has made many folks question if thrift stores can still be called such in today’s times.

A dress, priced at a whopping $45, has sparked a heated debate about the escalating cost of living and the affordability of second-hand items in charity shops.

A customer, who was browsing through the clothes at a Sydney Vinnies store, was taken aback by the simple floral dress’ price.

photo (1).jpg
A dress from an op shop was sold for $45. Credit: Facebook

‘Dropped into St Vinnies and was browsing at the clothes I thought I love the fabric and print on this dress. Maybe I could make a skirt out of it, it’s not my size dress, I sew,’ they said.

'I nearly fell over when I saw the price.'

The customer expressed their disappointment on social media, sparking a wave of responses from people who shared similar experiences and concerns about the rising prices in op shops.

The customer argued that Vinnies, a charity shop, should be providing affordable options for people who are struggling financially.

'It is meant to be a shop for people who don’t have much money. That’s the concept of it, always has been,' they said.

‘It’s disgusting seeing them taking advantage of people.’

‘Vinnies has lost its true meaning, I won’t be stepping foot in another.’

The post resonated with many people who agreed that op shops have become overpriced.

'It’s ridiculous the prices they put on stuff that they get donated,' one woman wrote.

Another person added, 'They get free clothes and charge an arm and a leg for them. Not good.'

‘I think that it’s a good idea to have prices adjusted slightly,’ said another, explaining how the brand played a role in how Vinnies priced the item.

‘But $45 is someone’s weekly budget for food. I was a big op shopper but stopped going.’

A shopper was also shocked upon finding that the price of a T-shirt at Vinnies was $350.

‘I don’t know much about high fashion…Tell me, is this reasonable?’ he said on social media.

The St Vincent de Paul Society NSW, which operates Vinnies stores, responded by stating that the pricing at Vinnies shops is determined by customer affordability and the quality of goods on sale.

'Our shops use a simple pricing guide based on research on value in the general second-hand marketplace and the quality of the garment,' they said.

‘Vinnies Shops account for 40 per cent of organisational revenue, and this is critical to the funding of programs and services across NSW.’

‘This is especially important at a time when the cost of living is rising, which is leading to a decline in general fundraising capacity just as there is an increase in the number of people seeking assistance.’

However, the high prices at Vinnies stores have led many people to opt for cheaper alternatives like Kmart, where you can pick up a T-shirt for $2.50 and a pair of shorts for $5.50.

'Needless to say, better off going to Kmart,' wrote the author of the social media post.

‘No one should have to pay more for 2nd hand clothes at anytime especially when you can get cheaper at Kmart brand new,’ one user said in agreement.

Dr Diaswati Mardiasmo, Chief Economist for PRD, provided some insight into why charity stores are selling things for higher prices. She explained that apart from the cost of living crisis, there are factors that Aussie shoppers might not be considering.

'A lot of the time St Vinnies or any other op shops don't own the building they operate under or out of. They still have to pay even if they are a charity,' Dr Mardiasmo said.

Aussies felt the pressure of costs due to inflation, with the Reserve Bank stating that the interest rates rose 13 times from its record low of 0.1 per cent to 4.35 per cent.

hannah-morgan-ycVFts5Ma4s-unsplash.jpg
There are other factors as to why clothing in charity shops rose. Credit: Unsplash

‘Vinnies has to cover the costs—whether it's the increase in rental, increase in wages and any other operational costs that they might have to cover,’ Dr Mardiasmo said.

A recent study from Finder revealed that 3 in 4 Australians are somewhat or extremely stressed with their financial situation.

Five per cent of Aussies opt to change where they purchase their clothes to fight back against inflation.

‘One of the ways St Vinnies or any other charity shops do try to still get that donation is by upping their prices in their op shops,’ Dr Mardiasmo explained.

‘It can be very frustrating for people who are trying to find those good bargains, good finds in op shops because they themselves are trying to decrease their cost of living—so they are expecting they'll be able to pick up something cheaper in op shops.’

‘At the moment, more often than not, I've been hearing that is not the case.’
Key Takeaways
  • An Australian shopper sparked a debate about the cost of living after discovering a floral dress priced at $45 at a Sydney Vinnies store.
  • Many social media users agreed with the shopper's assertion that op shops have become overpriced.
  • A spokesperson from the St Vincent de Paul Society NSW explained that the pricing at Vinnies shops is determined by customer affordability as well as the quality of the goods on sale. They added that the shops generate 40% of the society's revenue, which is crucial for funding various programs and services.
  • Chief economist for PRD, Dr Diaswati Mardiasmo, provided insight into why charity stores are selling items for higher prices, citing increased operational costs and the reduced number of donations due to the cost-of-living crisis.
What are your thoughts on the rising cost of living in Australia? Have you noticed an increase in prices at your local op shops? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
The cost of living crisis in Australia has been a hot topic of discussion for some time now. After all, it has left nothing unscathed, and as a result, many Aussies have kept a closer eye on spending.

One if its many victims: thrift shopping. Popping into your local op shop can be a fun day out, and finding that lovely skirt or a pair of boots to add to your wardrobe while supporting a good cause.

However, an eye-popping discovery in a Sydney charity shop has made many folks question if thrift stores can still be called such in today’s times.

A dress, priced at a whopping $45, has sparked a heated debate about the escalating cost of living and the affordability of second-hand items in charity shops.

A customer, who was browsing through the clothes at a Sydney Vinnies store, was taken aback by the simple floral dress’ price.

View attachment 36662

‘Dropped into St Vinnies and was browsing at the clothes I thought I love the fabric and print on this dress. Maybe I could make a skirt out of it, it’s not my size dress, I sew,’ they said.

The customer expressed their disappointment on social media, sparking a wave of responses from people who shared similar experiences and concerns about the rising prices in op shops.

The customer argued that Vinnies, a charity shop, should be providing affordable options for people who are struggling financially.

'It is meant to be a shop for people who don’t have much money. That’s the concept of it, always has been,' they said.

The post resonated with many people who agreed that op shops have become overpriced.

'It’s ridiculous the prices they put on stuff that they get donated,' one woman wrote.

Another person added, 'They get free clothes and charge an arm and a leg for them. Not good.'

‘I think that it’s a good idea to have prices adjusted slightly,’ said another, explaining how the brand played a role in how Vinnies priced the item.

‘But $45 is someone’s weekly budget for food. I was a big op shopper but stopped going.’

A shopper was also shocked upon finding that the price of a T-shirt at Vinnies was $350.

‘I don’t know much about high fashion…Tell me, is this reasonable?’ he said on social media.

The St Vincent de Paul Society NSW, which operates Vinnies stores, responded by stating that the pricing at Vinnies shops is determined by customer affordability and the quality of goods on sale.

'Our shops use a simple pricing guide based on research on value in the general second-hand marketplace and the quality of the garment,' they said.

‘Vinnies Shops account for 40 per cent of organisational revenue, and this is critical to the funding of programs and services across NSW.’

‘This is especially important at a time when the cost of living is rising, which is leading to a decline in general fundraising capacity just as there is an increase in the number of people seeking assistance.’

However, the high prices at Vinnies stores have led many people to opt for cheaper alternatives like Kmart, where you can pick up a T-shirt for $2.50 and a pair of shorts for $5.50.

'Needless to say, better off going to Kmart,' wrote the author of the social media post.

‘No one should have to pay more for 2nd hand clothes at anytime especially when you can get cheaper at Kmart brand new,’ one user said in agreement.

Dr Diaswati Mardiasmo, Chief Economist for PRD, provided some insight into why charity stores are selling things for higher prices. She explained that apart from the cost of living crisis, there are factors that Aussie shoppers might not be considering.

'A lot of the time St Vinnies or any other op shops don't own the building they operate under or out of. They still have to pay even if they are a charity,' Dr Mardiasmo said.

Aussies felt the pressure of costs due to inflation, with the Reserve Bank stating that the interest rates rose 13 times from its record low of 0.1 per cent to 4.35 per cent.

View attachment 36663
There are other factors as to why clothing in charity shops rose. Credit: Unsplash

‘Vinnies has to cover the costs—whether it's the increase in rental, increase in wages and any other operational costs that they might have to cover,’ Dr Mardiasmo said.

A recent study from Finder revealed that 3 in 4 Australians are somewhat or extremely stressed with their financial situation.

Five per cent of Aussies opt to change where they purchase their clothes to fight back against inflation.

‘One of the ways St Vinnies or any other charity shops do try to still get that donation is by upping their prices in their op shops,’ Dr Mardiasmo explained.

‘It can be very frustrating for people who are trying to find those good bargains, good finds in op shops because they themselves are trying to decrease their cost of living—so they are expecting they'll be able to pick up something cheaper in op shops.’

Key Takeaways

• An Australian shopper sparked a debate about the cost of living after discovering a floral dress priced at $45 at a Sydney Vinnies store.
  • Many social media users agreed with the shopper's assertion that op shops have become overpriced.
  • A spokesperson from the St Vincent de Paul Society NSW explained that the pricing at Vinnies shops is determined by customer affordability as well as the quality of the goods on sale. They added that the shops generate 40% of the society's revenue, which is crucial for funding various programs and services.
  • Chief economist for PRD, Dr Diaswati Mardiasmo, provided insight into why charity stores are selling items for higher prices, citing increased operational costs and the reduced number of donations due to the cost-of-living crisis.
What are your thoughts on the rising cost of living in Australia? Have you noticed an increase in prices at your local op shops? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
Oh for goodness sake. Vinnies have to cover costs for the rent on the building. Vinnies is part of a church charity that pays no tax and the church itself is worth millions, even billions of dollars. Most of the clothing in a lot of the charity shops are not fit to buy and should just be thrown on the fire and burned. Most are not too bad for household stuff like nick naks and cutlery, crockery. Like a lot of organisations looking for donations, they have lots of money but never really spend it on others.

Reactions: Aussie deb

View attachment 36662

View attachment 36663

Key Takeaways

I volunteer a couple days each week in our Church's Op Shop on the Gold Coast. Not all Op Shops are staffed by volunteers but many like ours are. Op shops have become more up-market than they were initially, where second hand clothes and goods were sold very cheaply to people in need. But even today Op Shops are quite competitive and pricing and quality must be good. What many people don't understand is that Op Shop proceeds go to much-needed community endeavours, and also, we notice that many high quality and high value donations are deliberately given to us rather than sold 2nd hand because proceeds go to the needy and people want to donate. Therefore we must honour that generosity by respectful pricing. While all Op Shops will have their own pricing methodology, ours is usually around 20% of new price if in very good condition, or half of the price asked for on Gumtree etc if in reasonable 2nd hand condition.
As well, we give items away to those who approach us with hardship situations - sometimes setting up an entire household.

View attachment 36662

View attachment 36663

Key Takeaways

They've all turned into relatives of Robin Hood. Robbing Bastards?

It's also common knowledge that the people who collect items directly from donating residents, often keep good furniture for their own use or relatives ... never to be seen at the op shops for customers. For instance, wealthier home owners donate their 2 yr old lounge suit when they replace the new one. I've never seen these type of lounge suits in op shops. Something needs to be done about it.

It's also common knowledge that the people who collect items directly from donating residents, often keep good furniture for their own use or relatives ... never to be seen at the op shops for customers. For instance, wealthier home owners donate their 2 yr old lounge suit when they replace the new one. I've never seen these type of lounge suits in op shops. Something needs to be done about it.
Is this "common knowledge" supported by facts or just conspiracy theories, I wonder? Surely something would be "done about it" if actual evidence was publicised?

View attachment 36662

View attachment 36663

Key Takeaways

I gave up shopping in op shops for clothing. The prices were getting ridiculous. I get my clothes from Kmart or bigw. Not into all the fashion bs either

View attachment 36662

View attachment 36663

Key Takeaways

Our nearest Vinnies has a pair of shoes for sale for $80. How do you afford that if you’re struggling to put food on your table? All the clothes in this shop are super pricey.

• Sad
Reactions: wendell
Is this "common knowledge" supported by facts or just conspiracy theories, I wonder? Surely something would be "done about it" if actual evidence was publicised?
St Vincent de Rich.

Maybe you should ask Cleve W, a former manager of East Bundaberg St Vinnies. He snapped up a $3000 almost new king size ensemble free of charge. The thing weighed a tonne when I helped him move....TWICE!

• Angry
Reactions: Phyll and Hel

View attachment 36662

View attachment 36663

Key Takeaways

I also used to look but they are now too high in price. The country area ones are so so much cheaper in everything. I have bought some beautiful glass items all under $3.00 each including salad bowls.

St Vincent de Rich.

Maybe you should ask Cleve W, a former manager of East Bundaberg St Vinnies. He snapped up a $3000 almost new king size ensemble free of charge. The thing weighed a tonne when I helped him move....TWICE!
How interesting. I wonder if that's where all the "common knowledge" has come from. That's a crime. Once you reported this was appropriate action taken?

Known of people who have done it. Of course they won't admit to it if you asked them.

How interesting. I wonder if that's where all the "common knowledge" has come from. That's a crime. Once you reported this was appropriate action taken?
I didn't report it!! But he does owe me in $1500 in unpaid rent when he moved to Bribie Island in 2010. What are you? Some do-gooding knight in tarnished armour?

Reactions: Phyll
I didn't report it!! But he does owe me in $1500 in unpaid rent when he moved to Bribie Island in 2010. What are you? Some do-gooding knight in tarnished armour?
I certainly would have reported such a crime. Likely wouldn't have involved myself in being an accessory either. No, not a do-gooding knight and no armour, sorry. ;)

Oh for goodness sake. Vinnies have to cover costs for the rent on the building. Vinnies is part of a church charity that pays no tax and the church itself is worth millions, even billions of dollars. Most of the clothing in a lot of the charity shops are not fit to buy and should just be thrown on the fire and burned. Most are not too bad for household stuff like nick naks and cutlery, crockery. Like a lot of organisations looking for donations, they have lots of money but never really spend it on others.
I donate to the lions club, who do wonderful work around the place. they certainly do spend it on others, not to mention the beautiful playground that their volunteers have just completed not far from my home. Both my boys have just given me lots of quality clothing items to donate, some even have labels attached.
I suggest you do some research before you open your mouth about what charities do with their money.
I volunteer, as do some of my friends. What a miserable individual you are.

St Vincent de Rich.

A few years ago I took some recovering addicts to a meeting at the Sallies. I witnessed people in the room under the Church sorting and ripping the paper off the donations to K-Mart Christmas tree. They put some stuff into individual bags but took their pick of stuff for themselves. That was the last I ever gave them. I hear you well Veggie. I'm in Sth Bundy.

I donate to the lions club, who do wonderful work around the place. they certainly do spend it on others, not to mention the beautiful playground that their volunteers have just completed not far from my home. Both my boys have just given me lots of quality clothing items to donate, some even have labels attached.
I suggest you do some research before you open your mouth about what charities do with their money.
I volunteer, as do some of my friends. What a miserable individual you are.
Certainly different people have different experiences with Op Shops. But I agree, some folks here seem to be quite aggressive towards them, don't they? There is a lot of sacrifice, hard work and voluntary contribution at the heart of charities whose main aim is to benefit those in most need.