One easy mistake cost this mum an extra $400 on her groceries

Let's talk about grocery shopping, shall we? It's something we all have to do, and it can be a real pain in the wallet sometimes—especially these days. But we soldier on, determined to stick to our budgets and make it through the week.

Unfortunately, sometimes our best efforts aren't enough, and we end up overspending. We've all been there. But one Aussie mum took it to the next level when she accidentally spent a whopping $800 on her grocery order from Coles.

Now, this wasn't some kind of extravagant, champagne-and-caviar type of shopping spree. This was just a regular old grocery order, picked up through Coles' Click and Collect service.

The mum-of-three was just going about her day, thinking she was being responsible by ordering her groceries online and sticking to her budget. But when she arrived to pick up her order, she was greeted with not one, but TWO almost identical orders waiting for her.

Screen Shot 2023-04-28 at 10.17.49 AM.png
A mother accidentally ordered her weekly shop from Coles twice, resulting in an $800 charge to her account. Credit: TikTok/raisinglittleswithnik.

You can imagine her shock when she realised what had happened. She took to TikTok to share her experience, saying, 'Ever wondered what $800 worth of groceries looks like? Well, we've accidentally discovered that... adulting is hard. It's f****** mental like what the hell... I'm like my mini supermarket.'

So, what exactly did this mum end up with in her accidental $800 grocery haul? Well, let's just say she won't be running out of food anytime soon.

Her haul included all sorts of goodies, like nappies, cereal, broccoli (ten heads to be exact), bread (eight loaves), butter (2kg worth), cheese (also 2kg), milk (9 litres), carrots (4kg), rice (10kg), butternut pumpkins (two whole ones), chicken nuggets, eggs, drinks, and more.

Now, you might wonder how on Earth someone could accidentally order all that food. According to her, it all started when the Coles app malfunctioned during her first check-out attempt. Her trolley appeared empty, and she didn't receive a confirmation email, so she assumed her order didn't go through and repeated the entire shopping process.

Little did she know, the first order had actually gone through, and she ended up with two nearly identical orders.

The mum's accidental $800 grocery haul caught fellow shoppers' attention. One TikTok user commented, 'It's sad because I expected so much more stuff for $800.' Others also questioned why Coles didn't alert the customer about the duplicate order.

However, the mum doesn't seem too bothered by it all. She believes that minor differences in the second order led the supermarket to assume the purchases were for two separate families.

She even went as far as to say that she didn't blame Coles because, at the end of the day, she was the one who paid for it.

It's not just this mum who has found herself in this kind of situation, either. Many others have shared similar stories of accidentally ordering double and ending up with way more food than they bargained for.

'I've done this before... saved myself some money the next fortnight, though,' one person said. And another added, 'This EXACT thing happened to me on Friday! The C&C lady asked if I had two orders, so I said no, and she offered straight away to cancel the original one.'

So, there you have it. Accidentally ordering double groceries may be more common than we thought. But hey, at least it's a good excuse to try out some new recipes and get creative in the kitchen. (Feel free to check out the Cooking and Recipes forum on the SDC website!)

This story serves as a reminder that technology can sometimes lead to confusing and expensive situations. Therefore, it's important to be cautious with online shopping and double-check everything before paying.

Key Takeaways

• One mum accidentally ordered double groceries from Coles, resulting in a whopping $800 bill.
  • Her unexpected haul included nappies, cereal, broccoli, bread, butter, cheese, milk, carrots, rice, butternut pumpkins, chicken nuggets, eggs, drinks, and more.
  • The malfunctioning app led to the customer's trolley appearing empty during the first checkout attempt, prompting a repeat of the entire shopping process and two nearly identical orders.

If you’re ever in doubt about duplicate orders, we encourage you to contact the customer service department of the retailer. In this case, Coles has stated that their team is more than happy to assist with any online order issues, and customers can call their Coles Online customer care number at 1800 455 400.

And if you've ever found yourself in a situation where you need to cancel or modify your order, you'll be happy to know that both Coles and Woolworths offer this option without any pesky cancellation fees.

But here's the catch: you must do it before the cut-off time. Otherwise, you might end up like the customer in this story, who was hit with a whopping $30 cancellation fee.

So, what's the best way to make changes to your online grocery order? Simply visit the 'My Orders' page within 'My Account', and you're good to go. It's as easy as that!

Now, you can shop with confidence, knowing that you have the power to change your order if anything unexpected comes up. No more worrying about getting stuck with items you don't need or paying extra fees just to cancel.

If you need to cancel your online order from Coles.jpg

Ultimately, staying vigilant and double-checking your online shopping carts can prevent accidental overspending. We hope this information assists you in your future grocery shopping experiences, whether in-store or online. Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

What would you do if you found yourself in a similar situation? Would you keep all of the extra groceries, or would you try to return some of them? And do you have any tips for avoiding overspending on groceries, especially when shopping online? Share your tips and tricks with us in the comments!

Sponsored
Ònce I didn't check the store location and put an order in for a suburb of Sydney. This is 6 hrs awaý, anyway it all was sorted with great service from Woolies.

Reactions: Ricci
Coles always sends an email with the order you make. There is no excuse for this lady’s mistake. I’m sure she got 2 emails. She could call them straight away or click on the top right side of the order to change it and then cancel it.
Don’t need to be an expert to do that.
Anyway, she didn’t seem to be worried at all so, why bringing the issue up??
Maybe another tiktok to be viewed 😩😩

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
Let's talk about grocery shopping, shall we? It's something we all have to do, and it can be a real pain in the wallet sometimes—especially these days. But we soldier on, determined to stick to our budgets and make it through the week.

Unfortunately, sometimes our best efforts aren't enough, and we end up overspending. We've all been there. But one Aussie mum took it to the next level when she accidentally spent a whopping $800 on her grocery order from Coles.

Now, this wasn't some kind of extravagant, champagne-and-caviar type of shopping spree. This was just a regular old grocery order, picked up through Coles' Click and Collect service.

The mum-of-three was just going about her day, thinking she was being responsible by ordering her groceries online and sticking to her budget. But when she arrived to pick up her order, she was greeted with not one, but TWO almost identical orders waiting for her.

View attachment 18508
A mother accidentally ordered her weekly shop from Coles twice, resulting in an $800 charge to her account. Credit: TikTok/raisinglittleswithnik.

You can imagine her shock when she realised what had happened. She took to TikTok to share her experience, saying, 'Ever wondered what $800 worth of groceries looks like? Well, we've accidentally discovered that... adulting is hard. It's f****** mental like what the hell... I'm like my mini supermarket.'

So, what exactly did this mum end up with in her accidental $800 grocery haul? Well, let's just say she won't be running out of food anytime soon.

Her haul included all sorts of goodies, like nappies, cereal, broccoli (ten heads to be exact), bread (eight loaves), butter (2kg worth), cheese (also 2kg), milk (9 litres), carrots (4kg), rice (10kg), butternut pumpkins (two whole ones), chicken nuggets, eggs, drinks, and more.

Now, you might wonder how on Earth someone could accidentally order all that food. According to her, it all started when the Coles app malfunctioned during her first check-out attempt. Her trolley appeared empty, and she didn't receive a confirmation email, so she assumed her order didn't go through and repeated the entire shopping process.

Little did she know, the first order had actually gone through, and she ended up with two nearly identical orders.

The mum's accidental $800 grocery haul caught fellow shoppers' attention. One TikTok user commented, 'It's sad because I expected so much more stuff for $800.' Others also questioned why Coles didn't alert the customer about the duplicate order.

However, the mum doesn't seem too bothered by it all. She believes that minor differences in the second order led the supermarket to assume the purchases were for two separate families.

She even went as far as to say that she didn't blame Coles because, at the end of the day, she was the one who paid for it.

It's not just this mum who has found herself in this kind of situation, either. Many others have shared similar stories of accidentally ordering double and ending up with way more food than they bargained for.

'I've done this before... saved myself some money the next fortnight, though,' one person said. And another added, 'This EXACT thing happened to me on Friday! The C&C lady asked if I had two orders, so I said no, and she offered straight away to cancel the original one.'

So, there you have it. Accidentally ordering double groceries may be more common than we thought. But hey, at least it's a good excuse to try out some new recipes and get creative in the kitchen. (Feel free to check out the Cooking and Recipes forum on the SDC website!)

This story serves as a reminder that technology can sometimes lead to confusing and expensive situations. Therefore, it's important to be cautious with online shopping and double-check everything before paying.

Key Takeaways

• One mum accidentally ordered double groceries from Coles, resulting in a whopping $800 bill.
  • Her unexpected haul included nappies, cereal, broccoli, bread, butter, cheese, milk, carrots, rice, butternut pumpkins, chicken nuggets, eggs, drinks, and more.
  • The malfunctioning app led to the customer's trolley appearing empty during the first checkout attempt, prompting a repeat of the entire shopping process and two nearly identical orders.

If you’re ever in doubt about duplicate orders, we encourage you to contact the customer service department of the retailer. In this case, Coles has stated that their team is more than happy to assist with any online order issues, and customers can call their Coles Online customer care number at 1800 455 400.

And if you've ever found yourself in a situation where you need to cancel or modify your order, you'll be happy to know that both Coles and Woolworths offer this option without any pesky cancellation fees.

But here's the catch: you must do it before the cut-off time. Otherwise, you might end up like the customer in this story, who was hit with a whopping $30 cancellation fee.

So, what's the best way to make changes to your online grocery order? Simply visit the 'My Orders' page within 'My Account', and you're good to go. It's as easy as that!

Now, you can shop with confidence, knowing that you have the power to change your order if anything unexpected comes up. No more worrying about getting stuck with items you don't need or paying extra fees just to cancel.

Ultimately, staying vigilant and double-checking your online shopping carts can prevent accidental overspending. We hope this information assists you in your future grocery shopping experiences, whether in-store or online. Remember, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

What would you do if you found yourself in a similar situation? Would you keep all of the extra groceries, or would you try to return some of them? And do you have any tips for avoiding overspending on groceries, especially when shopping online? Share your tips and tricks with us in the comments!I

View attachment 18508

Key Takeaways

What would you do if you found yourself in a similar situation? Would you keep all of the extra groceries, or would you try to return some of them? And do you have any tips for avoiding overspending on groceries, especially when shopping online? Share your tips and tricks with us in the comments!

At least she can (sort of) laugh about it 😁