Olive Oil Prices Surge–Discover Affordable Alternatives to Keep Your Cooking Game Strong!

In the current economic climate, many Australians are feeling the pinch, and the rising cost of everyday items is a concern for all, particularly for those in the SDC community who are managing on fixed incomes.

Olive oil, a staple in many kitchens, has not been immune to these price hikes. With some supermarkets charging up to $65 for a four-litre tin and $26 for a 750-millilitre bottle, it's no wonder that many are seeking more budget-friendly alternatives.

compressed-olive-oil-salad-dressing-cooking-olive.jpeg
Olive oil price has surged, putting pressure on household budgets. Source: Pexel/Pixabay

Olive oil has long been lauded for its health benefits, including its potential to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and improve heart health through better blood pressure, inflammation, and cholesterol levels. This is largely due to its high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants. The recommended daily intake to reap these benefits is around 20 grams, or approximately five teaspoons.

But why has olive oil become so expensive? A combination of a European heatwave and drought has severely impacted the ability of Spanish and Italian producers to supply olive oil to international markets, including Australia. This, coupled with a shorter and colder growing season for Australian olive oil suppliers, has led to a decrease in production and supply, while demand remains high, resulting in increased prices.

If you're fortunate enough to have a stock of olive oil, there are ways to make it last longer:

- Proper storage is key; keep your oil in a cool, dark place with the lid tightly sealed to extend its shelf life to 12–18 months.

- Consider using a spray bottle to distribute the oil more evenly and economically.

- If you've used olive oil for frying, don't discard it – strain and reuse it for other fried dishes, or freeze it for later use, though it's best to use fresh oil for dressings.

But what if you've run out of olive oil? Fear not, as there are several healthy and more affordable alternatives:

- Canola oil is a suitable substitute for frying and is high in monounsaturated fats, similar to olive oil. It's also low in saturated fat, which is a plus for heart health. Prices can be as low as $3 for a 750-millilitre bottle of home brand canola oil.

- Sunflower oil is another excellent choice for salads and frying, with a mild flavour that won't overpower your dishes. It may also contribute to a healthier heart by managing cholesterol levels. Expect to pay up to $6.50 for a 750-millilitre bottle, with home brand options available at a lower cost.

- Sesame oil, with its distinctive nutty flavour, is perfect for Asian dressings and frying. Light sesame oil is a neutral cooking oil, while toasted sesame oil adds flavour to sauces. It's high in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. Sesame oil typically comes in smaller bottles, with prices up to $5 for a 150-millilitre bottle.

In addition to these alternatives, there are ways to reduce your overall oil consumption. For baking, consider using apple sauce, Greek yoghurt, or mashed banana as substitutes. Non-stick cookware can reduce or eliminate the need for oil in cooking. Steaming, baking, roasting, grilling, and using stock or natural moisture from ingredients like tomatoes and onions are all methods that can help you cook with less oil. For added flavour without the oil, turn to vinegar or citrus juices.

Remember, while olive oil is a wonderful ingredient, it's not the only option for healthy cooking. By exploring these alternatives and adjusting your cooking methods, you can continue to create delicious and nutritious meals without breaking the bank.

Key Takeaways
  • Olive oil prices have risen significantly, with major supermarkets selling a four-litre tin for up to $65 and a 750-millilitre bottle for up to $26.
  • A European heatwave and drought along with a short growing season for Australian olive oil suppliers have led to limited supply and increased prices.
  • Alternatives to olive oil include canola oil, sunflower oil, and sesame oil, which can be cheaper and still offer health benefits.
  • Tips to use less oil in cooking include using non-stick cookware, steaming, baking, grilling, using stock, vinegar, or citrus, and relying on the natural moisture of ingredients.

We'd love to hear from you, our savvy Seniors Discount Club members! Have you found any other cost-effective substitutes for olive oil in your cooking? Share your tips and tricks in the comments below, and let's help each other navigate these challenging times with our culinary creativity intact.

Sponsored
You would be much better off using butter or ghee. All seed oils are artificially manufactured poison that cause inflammation.

• Love
Reactions: Bridgit
You would be much better off using butter or ghee. All seed oils are artificially manufactured poison that cause inflammation.
Yes I will only use Olive, coconut, butter - oh I know some will say these are not good for you but natural with minimal processing is best and we all need fat.

Butter has a higher fat content than a lot of oils. Olive oil IS NOT an artificially manufactured ‘poison’. Check out the facts. I think a lot of minds are what have been ‘poisoned’ by the internet.

Butter has a higher fat content than a lot of oils. Olive oil IS NOT an artificially manufactured ‘poison’. Check out the facts. I think a lot of minds are what have been ‘poisoned’ by the internet.
I did not say that olive oil is a seed oil. I said that the recommended alternatives, canola, sunflower and sesame oils are manufactured in laboratories using very high heat and lots of chemicals. They were originally made to serve as machine lubricants until the seed companies thought to process it bit further and to pass it off as food. Prior to this, there were very few instances of heart disease or diabetes. As for butter, high fat content is not the problem with metabolic health. It is the seed oils and carbohydrates that have caused the poor health epidemic that we are facing today. Nearly every processed food on the supermarket shelves is made from grains and seed oils and sugar. They are cheap to produce and are very addictive. The human digestive system is not meant to be consuming this rubbish. It is far better to consume whole, single ingredient foods.

• Angry
Reactions: KaraJenna
I did not say that olive oil is a seed oil. I said that the recommended alternatives, canola, sunflower and sesame oils are manufactured in laboratories using very high heat and lots of chemicals. They were originally made to serve as machine lubricants until the seed companies thought to process it bit further and to pass it off as food. Prior to this, there were very few instances of heart disease or diabetes. As for butter, high fat content is not the problem with metabolic health. It is the seed oils and carbohydrates that have caused the poor health epidemic that we are facing today. Nearly every processed food on the supermarket shelves is made from grains and seed oils and sugar. They are cheap to produce and are very addictive. The human digestive system is not meant to be consuming this rubbish. It is far better to consume whole, single ingredient foods.
OK, OK guess you win.

OK, OK guess you win.
I apologize if I came across a little strong. I did not mean to offend. I just wanted to clear up what I meant and the reasons for my comments. I am just very much against the corruption in the food industry that has caused so much sickness and death in the past 50 to 100 years. I wish you both health and happiness.

• Sad
Reactions: KaraJenna
I apologize if I came across a little strong. I did not mean to offend. I just wanted to clear up what I meant and the reasons for my comments. I am just very much against the corruption in the food industry that has caused so much sickness and death in the past 50 to 100 years. I wish you both health and happiness.
No offence taken & thank you for your (not really needed) apology. There sure is a lot of corruption and cutting corners in so many industries, the small man (us) and suppliers are the ones to suffer. Have a good day.

Whilst I mostly use olive oil, it's good to know that are cheaper alternatives when I'm on a tight budget which is most of the time

Whilst I mostly use olive oil, it's good to know that are cheaper alternatives when I'm on a tight budget which is most of the time
Indeed, one such budget conscious alternative is Canola oil. But it's not only good for the pocket or purse, there are other reasons to buy Canola (and perhaps some of the other seed oils, although not all are recommended for frying).

Prior to reading this article, I was led to believe Canola oil was not healthy for you.
Following the article, I did some research only to discover it has good qualities. For instance, whilst Olive oil is packed with 200 plant compounds that act as powerful antioxidants in your body, and it is heart-healthy. Canola oil, whilst lower in antioxidants, still offers heart-healthy effects due to its omega-3 content.

The Canola name comes from a contraction of 'Canadian' and 'ola', as scientists in Canada played a pivotal role in its development from Rapeseeds.

I already knew that, during the manufacturing process, only extra virgin olive oil is extracted purely by pressing and therefore is less refined and considered healthier.

What I did not know was that Canola oil is also cold pressed, meaning no heat or solvents are used in the process with the advantage of nutrient retention, flavour and aroma being maintained.

What I also did not know was that heat and chemically added methods are used to extract both ordinary Olive and Canola oils. The chemical extraction process for Canola oil only happens after almost all of the oil is extracted using presses and the application of heat to make the flow of oil in the crushing process easier. Only then is a food-safe solvent (usually hexane) used on the remaining dry seed matter to extract all of the remaining oil. The food-safe solvent is the removed for re-use. The final steps are natural clay filters, water, organic acids and steam distillation.

The food-safe hexane is also used as a solvent in the extraction process for ordinary Olive oil.

So, in terms of health considerations, what I found is that moderation is the key
  • Omega-6 Fats: Canola oil contains omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential in moderation. Excessive consumption may contribute to chronic low-grade inflammation.
  • Overall Impact: Research shows that seed oils, including canola oil, do not necessarily harm health. They are associated with reduced risk of mortality, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.

• Positive Aspects: All oilseeds, including canola, are rich in unsaturated fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. They can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, some cancers, and diabetes.
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3s are beneficial for heart health and brain function. They are found in canola oil and other seed oils.
If you want to reduce intake of saturated fats to reduce cholesterol levels then Canola is better at that. Olive oil has a better and deeper flavour and is the outstanding one imo.

I think it mainly gets down to personal preferences and or spending habits.

NB: Whilst the internet has some slight varied responses to some of the above, the overwhelming numbers suggested the above research is accurate or good enough for me.

Regarding the uses of cold-pressed Canola oil, I found this interesting.
(Didn't really mean to highlight Canola oil, seems that one thing just followed another)

Cold-pressed canola oil is a versatile cooking oil with a light flavour, high smoke point, and smooth texture. Here are some excellent ways to use it in your cooking adventures:
  1. Sauteing and Stir-Frying:
    • Cold-pressed canola oil works well for sauteing vegetables, meats, or tofu. It's neutral taste won't over power other flavours
  2. Grilling and Baking:
    • Brush canola oil on grilled meats, fish, or vegetables to prevent sticking and add a subtle flavour.
    • In baking, use it to create moist cakes, muffins, and cookies. It's mild taste won't interfere with your favourite recipes. (so they say)
  3. Salad Dressings and Marinades:
    • Cold-pressed canola oil remains free-flowing even in the refrigerator, making it perfect for homemade salad dressings. Combine it with vinegar, herbs, and spices for a light and heart-healthy dressing.
    • Use it as a base for marinades to tenderise meats and infuse flavours before grilling or roasting
  4. Coating Pans for Non-stick Baking:
    • Lightly coat baking pans with cold-pressed canola oil to prevent sticking. It's a healthier alternative to to butter or margarine for greasing pans,
Cold-pressed canola oil retains its natural nutrients and is a healthier option compared to highly processed oils.