Older ALDI shopper shares “scam in action” experience at the supermarket’s checkout, claims she was targeted because of her age

A purported "scam in action" has unfolded right in front of an elderly ALDI customer after she discovered that the man behind her at a checkout allegedly snuck some of his items onto her section of the conveyor belt while the cashier was scanning her haul.

Sharing the alarming experience on Facebook, the 72-year-old said that she was waiting for the cashier to scan her items when she noticed that there was an error — a bottle of whiskey, which she did not pick up herself, was scanned along with the products in her basket.

The customer claimed that the man behind her allegedly added some items from his groceries — including a men's belt — to her basket and was “watching his items being charged to me”.

M05nJg4M3h9m9ZYC-f-bhXLQ0Aj0c3SX3yYipejXHJQkaON_gWKZmNbvma64isGtzGBBpznqQ2Kk_ZogzS3atL9Joiqfj1nunmrZq_Rxjv9qDyymi_OPw5T7GnIlAU6Uk8URIxU

The shopper claimed that the man behind her added some of his items to her shop at checkout. Credit: Facebook.

The shopper recalled: "I told the cashier to stop as these weren’t mine as the guy was watching his items being charged to me."

“She was flustered, I was flustered and the guy wouldn’t eyeball me. He knew exactly what he was doing."

“To cut a long story short, she cancelled then charged me for the whisky (I had to go back and was reimbursed)."

“I believe the guy did this purposely to confuse both the cashier and my senior self and I also believe he got the whisky free in the confusion.”

The senior described the event as a "stressful situation" for her and the ALDI checkout worker due to the inconvenience it has caused them.

She said: “I was a bit shocked and flustered and the cashier was trying to do the right thing."

“I think he was trying it on and knew exactly what he was doing.”

“I think the guy picked me at 72 and a vulnerable-looking cashier.”

fGmCsmHoUVC_J8C89FfVTLQKYYNUiBnx4dmu7_Hl5Pdrcd8BsmxZuelUQgnMjv_gfmbxPZJ-Cn5PnwrLJ4f_YR3kr5i0OyZjC67K8UwVVov0DowWpfIlnVpQt_pfwSYpplXhQy4

The customer’s post about her experience. Credit: Facebook.

The post has captured the attention of other Facebook users, who shared their own experiences with checkout scams.

One person wrote: “This is what they do. Make a scene trying to confuse everyone then walk out with their stuff. I’ve seen this happen before but not at ALDI.”

“I had an older woman try to do that to me. She actually took the divider off the belt and added her things to mine then was putting them in her bag after they had been scanned,” another added.

An elderly user backed the claim that the shopper made regarding the possibility that she was targeted because of her age, claiming that her senior partner also experienced a similar malicious act.

She recounted: “Yes. My 70-plus partner went on Wednesday to buy a wheelchair."

“Somebody else’s groceries were scanned through the register. When they told him the amount he said, ‘Do you have a catalogue? I’m sure the chair didn’t cost that much.’"

“The operator then had to cancel all of the grocery items. Not sure if the problem was another customer or the checkout person or both.”

kU_l5taZMM7jLXgdyn5LmSJVccYDMiGDOBpb0Smq3QtNrt10cilqArACIf9VtqP7Q9c0LFEJHXoaszN4HwQeBULidT6JJ-ydk4xDDI__mupUgz_d4JRjZTqQTT_ljtconf7OrUM

Other ALDI shoppers shared similar experiences at their local stores' checkout registers. Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images.

Meanwhile, others believed that the incident may have only been a mistake, pointing out that the shopper may have just forgotten to use a divider.

One comment read: “To be honest, I think you are way overthinking this.”

“This can happen if you aren’t looking at what’s being scanned. Dividers can be taken out by people but it’s not necessarily a scam."

“It could also be a complete accident. In terms of not eyeballing you, I don’t look at other people at the registers.”

Another quipped: “This happens so many times a day. Probably just didn’t use a divider and it was a mistake. I work at ALDI.”

A number of users have offered advice on how to avoid checkout mishaps at ALDI registers.

One person wrote: “I always have my loaf of bread the last item on the conveyor I know once the bread is scanned that is my last item. I have had to stop the cashier from continuing scanning a few times.”

“I always spread my items out and put my bread and eggs lengthways with a divider spaced at the end. I ignore any eye rolls!" another shared.

“Helps to pace the scanning/chuck in the trolley competition, less likely the person scanning gets my stuff and the next one mixed up. I’m sorry that there were dodgy goings-on for you.”

A third chimed in: “I always leave a decent amount of space between my items and the lot before and behind with the dividers.”

“I noticed they’ve brought back dividers in my ALDI,” another claimed.

ALDI shoppers are encouraged to use the dividers provided at the registers to prevent having their products mixed up with customers ahead of or behind them.

Additionally, customers who are accidentally charged for items that they do not intend to purchase, are advised to return to the store for a full refund.

What are your thoughts on this? Was the shopper scammed or was it an innocent mistake?

Sponsored
Older ALDI shopper shares “scam in action” experience at the supermarket’s checkout, claims she was targeted because of her age

A purported "scam in action" has unfolded right in front of an elderly ALDI customer after she discovered that the man behind her at a checkout allegedly snuck some of his items onto her section of the conveyor belt while the cashier was scanning her haul.

Sharing the alarming experience on Facebook, the 72-year-old said that she was waiting for the cashier to scan her items when she noticed that there was an error — a bottle of whiskey, which she did not pick up herself, was scanned along with the products in her basket.

The customer claimed that the man behind her allegedly added some items from his groceries — including a men's belt — to her basket and was “watching his items being charged to me”.

M05nJg4M3h9m9ZYC-f-bhXLQ0Aj0c3SX3yYipejXHJQkaON_gWKZmNbvma64isGtzGBBpznqQ2Kk_ZogzS3atL9Joiqfj1nunmrZq_Rxjv9qDyymi_OPw5T7GnIlAU6Uk8URIxU

The shopper claimed that the man behind her added some of his items to her shop at checkout. Credit: Facebook.

The shopper recalled: "I told the cashier to stop as these weren’t mine as the guy was watching his items being charged to me."

“She was flustered, I was flustered and the guy wouldn’t eyeball me. He knew exactly what he was doing."

“To cut a long story short, she cancelled then charged me for the whisky (I had to go back and was reimbursed)."

“I believe the guy did this purposely to confuse both the cashier and my senior self and I also believe he got the whisky free in the confusion.”

The senior described the event as a "stressful situation" for her and the ALDI checkout worker due to the inconvenience it has caused them.

She said: “I was a bit shocked and flustered and the cashier was trying to do the right thing."

fGmCsmHoUVC_J8C89FfVTLQKYYNUiBnx4dmu7_Hl5Pdrcd8BsmxZuelUQgnMjv_gfmbxPZJ-Cn5PnwrLJ4f_YR3kr5i0OyZjC67K8UwVVov0DowWpfIlnVpQt_pfwSYpplXhQy4

The post has captured the attention of other Facebook users, who shared their own experiences with checkout scams.

One person wrote: “This is what they do. Make a scene trying to confuse everyone then walk out with their stuff. I’ve seen this happen before but not at ALDI.”

“I had an older woman try to do that to me. She actually took the divider off the belt and added her things to mine then was putting them in her bag after they had been scanned,” another added.

An elderly user backed the claim that the shopper made regarding the possibility that she was targeted because of her age, claiming that her senior partner also experienced a similar malicious act.

“Somebody else’s groceries were scanned through the register. When they told him the amount he said, ‘Do you have a catalogue? I’m sure the chair didn’t cost that much.’"

“The operator then had to cancel all of the grocery items. Not sure if the problem was another customer or the checkout person or both.”

kU_l5taZMM7jLXgdyn5LmSJVccYDMiGDOBpb0Smq3QtNrt10cilqArACIf9VtqP7Q9c0LFEJHXoaszN4HwQeBULidT6JJ-ydk4xDDI__mupUgz_d4JRjZTqQTT_ljtconf7OrUM

Other ALDI shoppers shared similar experiences at their local stores' checkout registers. Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images.

Meanwhile, others believed that the incident may have only been a mistake, pointing out that the shopper may have just forgotten to use a divider.

“This can happen if you aren’t looking at what’s being scanned. Dividers can be taken out by people but it’s not necessarily a scam."

“It could also be a complete accident. In terms of not eyeballing you, I don’t look at other people at the registers.”

Another quipped: “This happens so many times a day. Probably just didn’t use a divider and it was a mistake. I work at ALDI.”

A number of users have offered advice on how to avoid checkout mishaps at ALDI registers.

One person wrote: “I always have my loaf of bread the last item on the conveyor I know once the bread is scanned that is my last item. I have had to stop the cashier from continuing scanning a few times.”

“I always spread my items out and put my bread and eggs lengthways with a divider spaced at the end. I ignore any eye rolls!" another shared.

“Helps to pace the scanning/chuck in the trolley competition, less likely the person scanning gets my stuff and the next one mixed up. I’m sorry that there were dodgy goings-on for you.”

A third chimed in: “I always leave a decent amount of space between my items and the lot before and behind with the dividers.”

ALDI shoppers are encouraged to use the dividers provided at the registers to prevent having their products mixed up with customers ahead of or behind them.

Additionally, customers who are accidentally charged for items that they do not intend to purchase, are advised to return to the store for a full refund.

What are your thoughts on this? Was the shopper scammed or was it an innocent mistake?
I find the whole notion a bit hard to understand really! If somroekses goods are scanned with yours they go in with yours , so you would end up with them anyway! How would the ‘scammer’ get their I’ll gotten gains?

Seriously, I cannot see how he would gain. If in fact he did this deliberately, then she paid for the goods, how would be retrieve them from her??? Doesn't add up. I do wonder if perhaps there wasn't a divider or not one handy - often I find I have to wait to grab one if a few people ahead only have one or two items and all use dividers. Could happen in any supermarket.

Reactions: Ricci
I am puzzled as to how this could happen as, at every Aldi shop I have ever used, the goods are always pushed towards me after scanning, so there is no chance that a would-be scammer could retrieve their item anyway!

Checkout operators know that goods often come out of the trolly in reverse order from how they were put in. They also know the layout of the store and the likely order. If items are way out of order they will often ask the customer "are these yours?" They are not in the habit of mixing peoples stuff up as it makes their job so much more difficult. I don't know about the man behind the lady but I know that when I'm in the queue waiting to be served I am often miles away thinking of what's next and that without dividers my stuff could easily be scanned without me noticing. I only snap back to the here and now when I'm in front of the cashier.

Reactions: Gaena and KatKop
It's a 50-50 call for me ... I think this scenario is quite possible as most of us pay no attention to the people around us in supermarkets, but I'm not sure that it actually happened in this case.

Two ways in which the alleged perpetrator could have gotten away with his shopping:
a) If the main shopper is quite doddering, the perpetrator could simply brush past the shopper while they're paying, grab the goods from the packing area and walk off. However, the perpetrator has to select only a few items that can easily be carried away, which happened in this case - liquor and a belt. However, as the shopper bought items to the value of approximately $20 only, trying to sneak in a bottle of whisky was a bad move as it would have increased the total sum too much. Conclusion - if this were really a criminal event, the perpetrator needs to rethink their strategy.
b) Many/most shoppers do not pay much attention to the process until they have to pay. When/if they realise that they have been charged too much, they engage with the cashier, potentially unpacking bags to see what they'd been charged for, and - especially if the cashier is inexperienced and/or flustered - the perpetrator could simply move past the shopper, grab their goods and walk off. While the shopper and cashier will realise that some goods have disappeared and perhaps figure out what had happened, chances are that the store management will not bother to watch footage and identify the perpetrator.

Personally I think the so-called aggrieved customer is attention seeking and playing on her age "poor me" etc. Only 72 - goodness knows what she will be like when turned 90 like a friend of mine - he would run circles round her.

Ten years ago, I would have said it was an innocent mistake. Now, having observed the slow erosion of manners and morals, I believe this incident to have been deliberate. Society as a whole seems to be totally obsessed with self. The level of entitlement is mind blowing. I swear if I hear one more person telling me that they deserve a $2,000 handbag, I’m gonna lose it!

Aldi checkout operators should SLOW DOWN in their job. Goodness me, its like a race track , and the height of the retrieving counter is higher than your trolley, its pick up and place down. Should be one level and then shoot the goods down!

I find the whole notion a bit hard to understand really! If somroekses goods are scanned with yours they go in with yours , so you would end up with them anyway! How would the ‘scammer’ get their I’ll gotten gains?
Totally agree with lozat54, I've had mix up before with others groceries, but items that where rung up where removed straight away when bought to Cashiers attention. I find it a bit confusing also???

Seriously, I cannot see how he would gain. If in fact he did this deliberately, then she paid for the goods, how would be retrieve them from her??? Doesn't add up. I do wonder if perhaps there wasn't a divider or not one handy - often I find I have to wait to grab one if a few people ahead only have one or two items and all use dividers. Could happen in any supermarket.
My thoughts exactly JKD.

I had this happen to me 40 + years ago, going through the checkout in this case I was puting my shopping through, a big shop for 6 of us, including fruit and veg and meat, and I had my kids with me as well(all well behaved) the woman ahead of me had removed the divider I had put in and I did not notice that she had removed it, by the time I put all my shopping on the counter she had gone taking with her half my shopping, I asked the checkout girl where all the shopping had gone and she said my mum had taken it out to the car, I told her my mum was 3000 km away in queensland on a 6 month trip around Australia, she asked who was the woman with me, I told her there was no one with me apart from the kids, so we had to sort out what was still on the counter and deduct that from the total and I had to redo my shopping.. all got sorted out, Apparently the woman had done this before and was banned from the local Coles shop and i always watched my shopping a lot closer after that. Oh and made hubby come with me and he looked after the kids in the car or stayed home with them if I was doing a big shop.

Iozat54:
The lady didn’t have a bottle of whisky she didn’t mention the other items by name.

I wonder how exactly as any ALDI I have shopped at and admittedly only a few the products come off the conveyer belt to the right of the cashier and then placed on the left of the cashier for your to put in your bags or trolley therefore you would have to pick them up or is it done differently in the Eastern states. I could see it happening in Coles or Woolies were you may pay for someone elses items but as the cashier packs them the person behind could not retrieve them so they don't get them free.

Sorry, wouldn’t trust some people to try to do this. Some sneaky people out there, you have to keep your wits about you.

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
Mout

Most likely a scam .They certainly are out there getting something for nothing Will be on the alert.So far not aware of this happening to me

Reactions: debjane and Ricci

Seriously ! how can this be a scam. Shoppers are aware of what they have in their trolley and if some chancer tries it on you would know right away. P.S. This has nothing to do with age.