Older ALDI shopper shares “scam in action” experience at the supermarket’s checkout, claims she was targeted because of her age

A purported "scam in action" has unfolded right in front of an elderly ALDI customer after she discovered that the man behind her at a checkout allegedly snuck some of his items onto her section of the conveyor belt while the cashier was scanning her haul.

Sharing the alarming experience on Facebook, the 72-year-old said that she was waiting for the cashier to scan her items when she noticed that there was an error — a bottle of whiskey, which she did not pick up herself, was scanned along with the products in her basket.

The customer claimed that the man behind her allegedly added some items from his groceries — including a men's belt — to her basket and was “watching his items being charged to me”.

M05nJg4M3h9m9ZYC-f-bhXLQ0Aj0c3SX3yYipejXHJQkaON_gWKZmNbvma64isGtzGBBpznqQ2Kk_ZogzS3atL9Joiqfj1nunmrZq_Rxjv9qDyymi_OPw5T7GnIlAU6Uk8URIxU

The shopper claimed that the man behind her added some of his items to her shop at checkout. Credit: Facebook.

The shopper recalled: "I told the cashier to stop as these weren’t mine as the guy was watching his items being charged to me."

“She was flustered, I was flustered and the guy wouldn’t eyeball me. He knew exactly what he was doing."

“To cut a long story short, she cancelled then charged me for the whisky (I had to go back and was reimbursed)."

“I believe the guy did this purposely to confuse both the cashier and my senior self and I also believe he got the whisky free in the confusion.”

The senior described the event as a "stressful situation" for her and the ALDI checkout worker due to the inconvenience it has caused them.

She said: “I was a bit shocked and flustered and the cashier was trying to do the right thing."

“I think he was trying it on and knew exactly what he was doing.”

“I think the guy picked me at 72 and a vulnerable-looking cashier.”

fGmCsmHoUVC_J8C89FfVTLQKYYNUiBnx4dmu7_Hl5Pdrcd8BsmxZuelUQgnMjv_gfmbxPZJ-Cn5PnwrLJ4f_YR3kr5i0OyZjC67K8UwVVov0DowWpfIlnVpQt_pfwSYpplXhQy4

The customer’s post about her experience. Credit: Facebook.

The post has captured the attention of other Facebook users, who shared their own experiences with checkout scams.

One person wrote: “This is what they do. Make a scene trying to confuse everyone then walk out with their stuff. I’ve seen this happen before but not at ALDI.”

“I had an older woman try to do that to me. She actually took the divider off the belt and added her things to mine then was putting them in her bag after they had been scanned,” another added.

An elderly user backed the claim that the shopper made regarding the possibility that she was targeted because of her age, claiming that her senior partner also experienced a similar malicious act.

She recounted: “Yes. My 70-plus partner went on Wednesday to buy a wheelchair."

“Somebody else’s groceries were scanned through the register. When they told him the amount he said, ‘Do you have a catalogue? I’m sure the chair didn’t cost that much.’"

“The operator then had to cancel all of the grocery items. Not sure if the problem was another customer or the checkout person or both.”

kU_l5taZMM7jLXgdyn5LmSJVccYDMiGDOBpb0Smq3QtNrt10cilqArACIf9VtqP7Q9c0LFEJHXoaszN4HwQeBULidT6JJ-ydk4xDDI__mupUgz_d4JRjZTqQTT_ljtconf7OrUM

Other ALDI shoppers shared similar experiences at their local stores' checkout registers. Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images.

Meanwhile, others believed that the incident may have only been a mistake, pointing out that the shopper may have just forgotten to use a divider.

One comment read: “To be honest, I think you are way overthinking this.”

“This can happen if you aren’t looking at what’s being scanned. Dividers can be taken out by people but it’s not necessarily a scam."

“It could also be a complete accident. In terms of not eyeballing you, I don’t look at other people at the registers.”

Another quipped: “This happens so many times a day. Probably just didn’t use a divider and it was a mistake. I work at ALDI.”

A number of users have offered advice on how to avoid checkout mishaps at ALDI registers.

One person wrote: “I always have my loaf of bread the last item on the conveyor I know once the bread is scanned that is my last item. I have had to stop the cashier from continuing scanning a few times.”

“I always spread my items out and put my bread and eggs lengthways with a divider spaced at the end. I ignore any eye rolls!" another shared.

“Helps to pace the scanning/chuck in the trolley competition, less likely the person scanning gets my stuff and the next one mixed up. I’m sorry that there were dodgy goings-on for you.”

A third chimed in: “I always leave a decent amount of space between my items and the lot before and behind with the dividers.”

“I noticed they’ve brought back dividers in my ALDI,” another claimed.

ALDI shoppers are encouraged to use the dividers provided at the registers to prevent having their products mixed up with customers ahead of or behind them.

Additionally, customers who are accidentally charged for items that they do not intend to purchase, are advised to return to the store for a full refund.

What are your thoughts on this? Was the shopper scammed or was it an innocent mistake?

Sponsored
Sadly morals, principles & honesty has flown out the window these days. Being totally honest always I have a restful conscience for many a year, & WILL until I have less sands in the hourglass than what I have spent. Is he guilty? Eyeball to eyeball? YES! I trust no-one anymore. Half the time people don't know one hand from another which makes total honesty NOT out of the question when one looks in a mirror, b ut gives you the edge you love in your own face. THINK ABOUT IT. THERE'S STILL MANY OF US AROUND. NOT EGOTISTS......JUST NORMAL PEOPLE WHO PRIDE THEMSELVES IN BEING HONEST & CARING FOR OTHERS.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
On the other side may I bring to your attention a beautiful thing that happened to me in Aldi's Chirnside Park 3 years ago? I forgot my pin number & 6 people were waiting. The young lady behind me eyed the situation with me offering to stand back, but she quickly asked the cashier the total of my purchase. The total was $12 & 10 cents. She paid & said, "Good Heaven;s that won't break me" & everyone clapped. It was THE most embarrassing moment for my part, being near to tears. I asked for her address to reimburse her, but she hugged me & said, "That's my girl guide deed for today." I have NEVER forgotten her face if & when I see her again as I am still looking. AND since then I have made sure I have a few dollars in my wallet alongside my credit card so that I don't need to depend on it for a few things. Lesson well learnt.

Older ALDI shopper shares “scam in action” experience at the supermarket’s checkout, claims she was targeted because of her age

A purported "scam in action" has unfolded right in front of an elderly ALDI customer after she discovered that the man behind her at a checkout allegedly snuck some of his items onto her section of the conveyor belt while the cashier was scanning her haul.

Sharing the alarming experience on Facebook, the 72-year-old said that she was waiting for the cashier to scan her items when she noticed that there was an error — a bottle of whiskey, which she did not pick up herself, was scanned along with the products in her basket.

The customer claimed that the man behind her allegedly added some items from his groceries — including a men's belt — to her basket and was “watching his items being charged to me”.

M05nJg4M3h9m9ZYC-f-bhXLQ0Aj0c3SX3yYipejXHJQkaON_gWKZmNbvma64isGtzGBBpznqQ2Kk_ZogzS3atL9Joiqfj1nunmrZq_Rxjv9qDyymi_OPw5T7GnIlAU6Uk8URIxU

The shopper claimed that the man behind her added some of his items to her shop at checkout. Credit: Facebook.

The shopper recalled: "I told the cashier to stop as these weren’t mine as the guy was watching his items being charged to me."

“She was flustered, I was flustered and the guy wouldn’t eyeball me. He knew exactly what he was doing."

“To cut a long story short, she cancelled then charged me for the whisky (I had to go back and was reimbursed)."

“I believe the guy did this purposely to confuse both the cashier and my senior self and I also believe he got the whisky free in the confusion.”

The senior described the event as a "stressful situation" for her and the ALDI checkout worker due to the inconvenience it has caused them.

She said: “I was a bit shocked and flustered and the cashier was trying to do the right thing."

“I think he was trying it on and knew exactly what he was doing.”

“I think the guy picked me at 72 and a vulnerable-looking cashier.”

fGmCsmHoUVC_J8C89FfVTLQKYYNUiBnx4dmu7_Hl5Pdrcd8BsmxZuelUQgnMjv_gfmbxPZJ-Cn5PnwrLJ4f_YR3kr5i0OyZjC67K8UwVVov0DowWpfIlnVpQt_pfwSYpplXhQy4

The customer’s post about her experience. Credit: Facebook.

The post has captured the attention of other Facebook users, who shared their own experiences with checkout scams.

One person wrote: “This is what they do. Make a scene trying to confuse everyone then walk out with their stuff. I’ve seen this happen before but not at ALDI.”

“I had an older woman try to do that to me. She actually took the divider off the belt and added her things to mine then was putting them in her bag after they had been scanned,” another added.

An elderly user backed the claim that the shopper made regarding the possibility that she was targeted because of her age, claiming that her senior partner also experienced a similar malicious act.

She recounted: “Yes. My 70-plus partner went on Wednesday to buy a wheelchair."

“Somebody else’s groceries were scanned through the register. When they told him the amount he said, ‘Do you have a catalogue? I’m sure the chair didn’t cost that much.’"

“The operator then had to cancel all of the grocery items. Not sure if the problem was another customer or the checkout person or both.”

kU_l5taZMM7jLXgdyn5LmSJVccYDMiGDOBpb0Smq3QtNrt10cilqArACIf9VtqP7Q9c0LFEJHXoaszN4HwQeBULidT6JJ-ydk4xDDI__mupUgz_d4JRjZTqQTT_ljtconf7OrUM

Other ALDI shoppers shared similar experiences at their local stores' checkout registers. Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images.

Meanwhile, others believed that the incident may have only been a mistake, pointing out that the shopper may have just forgotten to use a divider.

One comment read: “To be honest, I think you are way overthinking this.”

“This can happen if you aren’t looking at what’s being scanned. Dividers can be taken out by people but it’s not necessarily a scam."

“It could also be a complete accident. In terms of not eyeballing you, I don’t look at other people at the registers.”

Another quipped: “This happens so many times a day. Probably just didn’t use a divider and it was a mistake. I work at ALDI.”

A number of users have offered advice on how to avoid checkout mishaps at ALDI registers.

One person wrote: “I always have my loaf of bread the last item on the conveyor I know once the bread is scanned that is my last item. I have had to stop the cashier from continuing scanning a few times.”

“I always spread my items out and put my bread and eggs lengthways with a divider spaced at the end. I ignore any eye rolls!" another shared.

“Helps to pace the scanning/chuck in the trolley competition, less likely the person scanning gets my stuff and the next one mixed up. I’m sorry that there were dodgy goings-on for you.”

A third chimed in: “I always leave a decent amount of space between my items and the lot before and behind with the dividers.”

“I noticed they’ve brought back dividers in my ALDI,” another claimed.

ALDI shoppers are encouraged to use the dividers provided at the registers to prevent having their products mixed up with customers ahead of or behind them.

Additionally, customers who are accidentally charged for items that they do not intend to purchase, are advised to return to the store for a full refund.

What are your thoughts on this? Was the shopper scammed or was it an innocent mistake?
Its all in the upbringing. Low lifes