Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Old laundry troughs

compressed-Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 12.57.16 PM.jpeg
Credits: Lori Dickson/Facebook

Remember those old laundry troughs? They weren't fancy, but they were the workhorses of laundry day. These humble fixtures were more than just washbasins; they doubled as baby bathtubs, too! Who remembers bath time in these old concrete laundry tubs? Share your memories below.

We had one dug into a raised garden bed and used it as a pond for our goldfish and tortoises .Dad made a hole through the dividing wall so they could swim through and use both sides.

Reactions: Vidbri1953
I remember as a child, we had a laundry at the back of the house and having to sit on the edge of these troughs having to wash our feet before entering the house. Those were the days.

Should you have any of these with the stands….you certainly have an item in high demand. I sold a two trough and a three trough for $500.00, still had people inquiring about them weeks after….

Yes indeed! Mine was painted externally with a lovely 1930’s green, and the inside was lovely and smooth, not a rough bit in sight. Was very sad to leave it behind when we sold the home. Much too heavy to take lol

Yes, we had a three-tub set and when I upgraded the laundry, I moved them outside, put them back up on the legs, and turned them into a three bay herb garden. Worked well.

• Love
Reactions: Michelle Sc
Those tubs were in the outside laundry when we bought the house in the 60's. Never used them, however got them put in the garden, painted them green, and use them as planters to this day
(was told to dump them...even then I was in recycling).
A couple of years earlier on renting a flat, was shown the laundry and was explained how to use the gas copper...there again never used the contraption...May I say I hail from Paris and all those antiquities looked a bit odd to me, as belonging to a museum!

Yes, we had a three-tub set and when I upgraded the laundry, I moved them outside, put them back up on the legs, and turned them into a three bay herb garden. Worked well.
did the same in the 60's, beautiful planters, though never used them as tubs