Old Fashioned Rock Cakes

Do young people even know what a Rock Cake is ? I still remember my grandmother baking these.

Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 20 minutes

Makes 20
20231129_022150.jpg

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups self -raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup cater sugar
100g butter, chilled, chopped
3/4 cup sultanas
2 tablespoon mixed peel
1 egg lightly beaten
1/3 cup milk

Butter to serve.

Method

1. Preheat oven 200°C / 180°C fan-forced . Line to baking trays with baking paper.

2. Sift flours and cinnamon into a large bowl. Stir in sugar . Using your fingertips, rub butter through mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sultanas and mixed peel. Make a well in the centre. Combine egg and milk in a jug. Pour egg n milk into well. Using a butter knife, mix ingredients to form a sticky dough. Add more milk if necessary.

3. Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture 5cm apart onto prepared trays.

4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and cool .

Serve Rock Cakes warm or at room temperature with butter

 Enjoy

Last edited:
Sponsored
I mostly leave it out. Its a give or take but at the price of it I say more give or is that take 🤔
By take do you mean shoplift? At the price, you wouldn't buy it! MacKenzies Australian Saffron - $14.40 per 250 mg at Woolies! That equates to approximately AUD 4300 per ounce compared to USD2020.79 per ounce as at 6.30 am today for f**king gold!

Reactions: DLHM and Knell
By take do you mean shoplift? At the price, you wouldn't buy it! MacKenzies Australian Saffron - $14.40 per 250 mg at Woolies! That equates to approximately AUD 4300 per ounce compared to USD2020.79 per ounce as at 6.30 am today for f**king gold!
I paid like $15 for a really really small container of it.
It's 100 mg not 100g

Woolies is cheaper this is coles 100mg $14.75
Screenshot_20231211_105811_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
If I’d ever tasted truffles, it would be unknowingly. Just common button mushrooms are good enough for me…fried in butter and garlic. Mmmm 😋
I have never and would never purchase them but I did see the deliveries at the fresh fruit & vegetable markets where they supply to restaurants - almost an armoured guard scenario.

Of topic. I went to a bridal shower yesterday a very poshy one which was catered. The food was so delicious including the mini spring rolls. I commented to my sister inlaw how delicious they were and she replied, Suz you do know there is mushrooms in them !! 😳 I hate mushrooms with a passion

Last edited:
Of topic. I went to a bridal shower yesterday a very pushy one which was catered. The food was so delicious including the mini spring rolls. I commented to my sister inlaw how delicious they were and she replied, Suz you do know there is mushrooms in them !! 😳 I hate mushrooms with a passion
Send 'em down here! Yummy!

Reactions: DLHM and Knell
Of topic. I went to a bridal shower yesterday a very pushy one which was catered. The food was so delicious including the mini spring rolls. I commented to my sister inlaw how delicious they were and she replied, Suz you do know there is mushrooms in them !! 😳 I hate mushrooms with a passion
I hated mushrooms (thought they tasted like dirt), until my third pregnancy. I suddenly couldn’t get enough of them and to this day I thoroughly enjoy eating them.

I cook so many things using mushrooms but for me I hate them. My daughter is amazed at how good my mushroom sauce is when I hate mushrooms so much. No taste testing there
My address is ?? K*** G***** P*****, Dandenong, VIC, 3175. Please send me 1 kg and I will pay for ingredients, your time and express postage.

Anybody with an investigative mind could work out my street. Just bring some mushroom sauce! :D