Old Fashion Vanilla Slice

This has to be my favourite slice ever.
With creamy vanilla custard in between flaky pastry topped with passionfruit icing.

Every time I indulge in a slice it takes me back to a wonderful childhood memory of moments with my grandmother , sharing a large slice.

images.jpeg-104.jpg

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 sheet of thawed puff pastry
  • 1 cup of caster sugar
  • 1 cup cornflour
  • 1/2 cup custard powder
  • 1 litre milk
  • 60 ( 4 tbsp) gram butter
  • 2 egg-yolks
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Passionfruit icing​

• 1 1/2 cup icing-sugar mixture

• 2 teaspoon butter

• 2 tablespoon passionfruit pulp

• 2 teaspoon water

Method​

• Vanilla slice​

Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper.
      Grease and line 2 baking trays. Place pastry sheets on oven trays. Bake for l0-12 minutes, until golden. Gently flatten pastry with hand. Trim pastry to cover base of prepared pan.
      In a jug, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Add a little of the milk to form a smooth paste. Place paste in a large pan with remaining milk and stir until smooth.
      Add butter and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg-yolks and vanilla. Pour over prepared pastry sheet. Top with remaining trimmed pastry sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
      Meanwhile to make passionfruit icing; combine icing sugar, butter and passionfruit pulp in a small heat-proof bowl. Stir in enough water to make a smooth paste. Place over saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring for 2-3 minutes until mixture is of spreadable consistency. Spread over pastry. Chill for 20 minutes until set. Cut into squares.

Last edited:
Sponsored
With creamy vanilla custard in between flaky pastry topped with passionfruit icing.

Every time I indulge in a slice it takes me back to a wonderful childhood memory of sharing moments with my grandmother , eating this slice.

View attachment 9755

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of caster sugar
  • 1 cup cornflour
  • 1/2 cup custard powder
  • 1 litre milk
  • 60 gram butter
  • 2 egg-yolks
  • Passionfruit icing​

• 2 teaspoon butter
    • 2 teaspoon water

Method​

• Vanilla slice​

Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease and line a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper.
      Grease and line 2 baking trays. Place pastry sheets on oven trays. Bake for l0-12 minutes, until golden. Gently flatten pastry with hand. Trim pastry to cover base of prepared pan.
      In a jug, combine sugar, cornflour and custard powder. Add a little of the milk to form a smooth paste. Place paste in a large pan with remaining milk and stir until smooth.
      Add butter and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until mixture is thick and smooth. Remove from heat. Add egg-yolks and vanilla. Pour over prepared pastry sheet. Top with remaining trimmed pastry sheet. Chill for 1 hour.
      Meanwhile to make passionfruit icing; combine icing sugar, butter and passionfruit pulp in a small heat-proof bowl. Stir in enough water to make a smooth paste. Place over saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring for 2-3 minutes until mixture is of spreadable consistency. Spread over pastry. Chill for 20 minutes until set. Cut into squares.
Omg Suzanne!!! I’m loving your recipes 🥰

Every time I indulge in a slice it takes me back to a wonderful childhood memory of moments with my grandmother , sharing a large slice.

View attachment 9755

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of caster sugar
  • 1 cup cornflour
  • 1/2 cup custard powder
  • 1 litre milk
  • 2 egg-yolks
  • Passionfruit icing​

• 2 teaspoon butter
    • 2 teaspoon water

Method​

• Vanilla slice​

Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is what was known in the vernacular as snot block?. I myself have spent forty five years in catering.

Reactions: Ricci
Please don't take this the wrong way, but this is what was known in the vernacular as snot block?. I myself have spent forty five years in catering.
Never heard of it.

I'm just a home cook that cooks each recipe with love and passion.

And love sharing with others recipes that are good and easy to make.

Can I ask without being disrespectful what country were you a chef ? As any good Australian chef would know this is a favourite with most Aussies

Never heard of it.

Can I ask without being disrespectful what country were you a chef ? As any good Australian chef would know this is a favourite with most Aussie
Never heard of it.

Can I ask without being disrespectful what country were you a chef ? As any good Australian chef would know this is a favourite with most Aussies

Never heard of it.

Actually, it was here in Oz that I first heard referred to as that. When I was doing my City and Guilds I was told that although I had the makings of being a first class chef, but I was too ambivalent, Although I had to have these certifications to allow a ship to go to seas without a cook. Which was an absolute pain in the arse if it any more than a couple of days but that was the price you paid for advancement. Both UK and OZ Merchant Navy and ashore in NZ

Actually, it was here in Oz that I first heard referred to as that. When I was doing my City and Guilds I was told that although I had the makings of being a first class chef, but I was too ambivalent, Although I had to have these certifications to allow a ship to go to seas without a cook. Which was an absolute pain in the arse if it any more than a couple of days but that was the price you paid for advancement. Both UK and OZ Merchant Navy and ashore in NZ
It must not have been made the traditional way🙂

Reactions: Ricci
Please do me a favour and make this recipe as you are a chef you will be able to make it in a flash. Then please post and tell me what you think of it.

Reactions: Jen77au and Ricci

View attachment 9755

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of caster sugar
  • 1 cup cornflour
  • 1/2 cup custard powder
  • 1 litre milk
  • 2 egg-yolks
  • Passionfruit icing​

• 2 teaspoon butter
    • 2 teaspoon water

Method​

• Vanilla slice​

OMG,thankyou,,I made this at school umpteen years ago,,it is absolutely delicious

View attachment 9755

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup of caster sugar
  • 1 cup cornflour
  • 1/2 cup custard powder
  • 1 litre milk
  • 2 egg-yolks
  • Passionfruit icing​

• 2 teaspoon butter
    • 2 teaspoon water

Method​

• Vanilla slice​

Another great recipe