NSW police officer intentionally hiding on busy road fines speeding drivers — sneaky or justified?

A Sydney policeman was captured in a photo hiding behind a pole on the busy King George’s Road. The officer was supposedly trying to catch and fine drivers going above the speed limit.

It was said that school zones were in place at the time, meaning that the speed limit was brought down to 40 km/h.

The picture, posted on Facebook, sparked a debate among Aussies on the social media platform.

Many thought the police officer, who was not wearing his hi-vis uniform, was being ‘sneaky.’ Others speculated that his actions were a scheme to issue fines to unknowing drivers and generate revenue for the police.

There were doubts about whether spotting speeding drivers this way prevents accidents in school zones.

‘Him hiding with a camera doesn't physically nor effectively slow the car down that is speeding,’ a Facebook user reasoned, ‘God forbid a child gets hit by a car, how much can him being there prevent it from happening? It's purely to raise money.’

capture-20220729-083119.png
Some Aussies thought that the policeman’s actions were ‘disgraceful.’ Credit: Facebook/Yahoo News

Others also pointed out that the police officer was committing a fineable offence of his own — his motorcycle was blocking a footpath.

A reply to the Facebook post said: ‘I am certain it is illegal to obstruct a pedestrian walkway with a motor vehicle, let alone park on a footpath.’

Another person commented, ‘So the point of this is that to enforce the law, the police knowingly break the law making an utter mockery of the entire process.’

It’s probably not the best safety message.

The officer did not have to hide to do his job, some Aussies argued. Being deliberately discreet while on duty could easily be taken as ‘grubby’ and ‘disgraceful’.

But not everyone has agreed. Others considered the policeman’s actions to be justified, especially when children’s safety was at risk.

‘I’m sure I’m the only one that slows down to 40 in a school zone, so I hope he catches a few,’ someone wrote.

‘Just slow down,’ some said, implying that it was the easy but also right thing to do.

1024px-King_Georges_Road_Roselands.jpg
King George's Road is often subject to speeding complaints. Credit: Wikipedia/J Bar

The NSW Police, notified of the incident, defended the officer. A spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia that Blakeshurt, where the road is located, is ‘over-represented in speed-related crashes.’

The law enforcement agency also justified the officer’s choice to hide behind a pole and park their motorcycle on a footpath.

According to the NSW police, its officers employ different strategies to enforce speed limits and catch offenders. Being in the force subjects them to some exemptions as well in the performance of their duties.

It also makes sense for officers to stay near their vehicles. According to the police, it is for their officers’ safety. It also allows them to respond quickly in case of emergencies.

What do our SDC members think? Is the policeman justified in his actions? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Its funny how people perceive this differently.
The fact is always ........ There is no sneakiness, grubiness, revenue raising etc... to the drivers who observe the law and drive within the law. Those who believe it is revenue raising just don't get it....... The speed limit is the limit... drive at or below the speed limit and there is no issue.

But people believe they have the right to criticize law enforcement and argue that their illegal behaviour is not illegal.

I have a cousin who was a policeman (now retired) who was on camera operation at a school zone some years ago. One particular woman passed the police car and the camera clicked. She returned less than two minutes later (policeman thinks she probably did a lap of the block) and the camera clicked again. Again she reappeared in a couple of minutes, only to be clicked for a third time........ She stopped her car, got out and approached the police vehicle, going totally ballistic at the policeman, swearing that the speed camera was wrong because she wasn't speeding. She was politely told that all of the camera shots are reviewed before fines are sent out and if she was within the law she wouldn't receive any fine or penalty notice/s.
About 10 days later, she received 3 three penalty notices in the post with fines and the loss of 6 demerit points for NOT WEARING HER SEAT BELT.

Just saying, the rules are there for a reason....

Reactions: Elbe
Prevention is better than cure if in plain sight he would prevent speeding, booking people is just to keep his Seargent happy and quota reached.
If it were the norm for police to be in plain sight, then drivers would speed when there are no police visible

Reactions: Elbe
Prevention is better than cure if in plain sight he would prevent speeding, booking people is just to keep his Seargent happy and quota reached.
Prevention is better than cure so preventing speeding drivers is better than curing injured pedestrians. Furthermore your comment about booking people so as to please senior officers is grossly insulting to the police force and patently untrue; preventing speeding drivers is a benefit to the general community.

Reactions: Ringdragon and Elbe
Agree. Don’t speed and who cares less what camera is where!!!
I like the idea that Singapore taxis have. As soon as they reach the speed limit, a small bell starts tinkling. It's an audible warning, so there's no excuse.

Anyway, a policeman who is out of sight is not being sneaky, He is doing his job and good luck to him!!

Reactions: Ricci
A Sydney policeman was captured in a photo hiding behind a pole on the busy King George’s Road. The officer was supposedly trying to catch and fine drivers going above the speed limit.

It was said that school zones were in place at the time, meaning that the speed limit was brought down to 40 km/h.

The picture, posted on Facebook, sparked a debate among Aussies on the social media platform.

Many thought the police officer, who was not wearing his hi-vis uniform, was being ‘sneaky.’ Others speculated that his actions were a scheme to issue fines to unknowing drivers and generate revenue for the police.

There were doubts about whether spotting speeding drivers this way prevents accidents in school zones.

‘Him hiding with a camera doesn't physically nor effectively slow the car down that is speeding,’ a Facebook user reasoned, ‘God forbid a child gets hit by a car, how much can him being there prevent it from happening? It's purely to raise money.’

View attachment 4831
Some Aussies thought that the policeman’s actions were ‘disgraceful.’ Credit: Facebook/Yahoo News

Others also pointed out that the police officer was committing a fineable offence of his own — his motorcycle was blocking a footpath.

A reply to the Facebook post said: ‘I am certain it is illegal to obstruct a pedestrian walkway with a motor vehicle, let alone park on a footpath.’

Another person commented, ‘So the point of this is that to enforce the law, the police knowingly break the law making an utter mockery of the entire process.’

The officer did not have to hide to do his job, some Aussies argued. Being deliberately discreet while on duty could easily be taken as ‘grubby’ and ‘disgraceful’.

But not everyone has agreed. Others considered the policeman’s actions to be justified, especially when children’s safety was at risk.

‘I’m sure I’m the only one that slows down to 40 in a school zone, so I hope he catches a few,’ someone wrote.

‘Just slow down,’ some said, implying that it was the easy but also right thing to do.

View attachment 4832
King George's Road is often subject to speeding complaints. Credit: Wikipedia/J Bar

The NSW Police, notified of the incident, defended the officer. A spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia that Blakeshurt, where the road is located, is ‘over-represented in speed-related crashes.’

The law enforcement agency also justified the officer’s choice to hide behind a pole and park their motorcycle on a footpath.

According to the NSW police, its officers employ different strategies to enforce speed limits and catch offenders. Being in the force subjects them to some exemptions as well in the performance of their duties.

It also makes sense for officers to stay near their vehicles. According to the police, it is for their officers’ safety. It also allows them to respond quickly in case of emergencies.

What do our SDC members think? Is the policeman justified in his actions? Let us know in the comments below.
There's nothing wrong; it's very simple: don't exceed the speed limit so you've got nothing to worry about.

View attachment 4831

View attachment 4832

I don’t believe there should be speed limits at schools period. The money spent on this process was enormous. The cost to the economy of slowing down traffic should be considered. If the savings were spent on hospital infrastructure and treatments many lives could be saved.

The speed limits were a political strategy to tug at the heart strings. One hundred metres down the road there are no fences or speed limits. Yet kids are walking home on the same roads. Instead of using the 4WD to drop of kids let them be walked to school supervised.

I like the idea that Singapore taxis have. As soon as they reach the speed limit, a small bell starts tinkling. It's an audible warning, so there's no excuse.

Anyway, a policeman who is out of sight is not being sneaky, He is doing his job and good luck to him!!
Revenue raising at it's best. I thought they outlawed that practice some years ago. Everyone is right, don't speed but I bet there is no-one on here can tell me honestly that they have never in their life gone over the limit going down a big hill or similar, even by accident.