NSW police officer intentionally hiding on busy road fines speeding drivers — sneaky or justified?

A Sydney policeman was captured in a photo hiding behind a pole on the busy King George’s Road. The officer was supposedly trying to catch and fine drivers going above the speed limit.

It was said that school zones were in place at the time, meaning that the speed limit was brought down to 40 km/h.

The picture, posted on Facebook, sparked a debate among Aussies on the social media platform.

Many thought the police officer, who was not wearing his hi-vis uniform, was being ‘sneaky.’ Others speculated that his actions were a scheme to issue fines to unknowing drivers and generate revenue for the police.

There were doubts about whether spotting speeding drivers this way prevents accidents in school zones.

‘Him hiding with a camera doesn't physically nor effectively slow the car down that is speeding,’ a Facebook user reasoned, ‘God forbid a child gets hit by a car, how much can him being there prevent it from happening? It's purely to raise money.’

capture-20220729-083119.png
Some Aussies thought that the policeman’s actions were ‘disgraceful.’ Credit: Facebook/Yahoo News

Others also pointed out that the police officer was committing a fineable offence of his own — his motorcycle was blocking a footpath.

A reply to the Facebook post said: ‘I am certain it is illegal to obstruct a pedestrian walkway with a motor vehicle, let alone park on a footpath.’

Another person commented, ‘So the point of this is that to enforce the law, the police knowingly break the law making an utter mockery of the entire process.’

It’s probably not the best safety message.

The officer did not have to hide to do his job, some Aussies argued. Being deliberately discreet while on duty could easily be taken as ‘grubby’ and ‘disgraceful’.

But not everyone has agreed. Others considered the policeman’s actions to be justified, especially when children’s safety was at risk.

‘I’m sure I’m the only one that slows down to 40 in a school zone, so I hope he catches a few,’ someone wrote.

‘Just slow down,’ some said, implying that it was the easy but also right thing to do.

1024px-King_Georges_Road_Roselands.jpg
King George's Road is often subject to speeding complaints. Credit: Wikipedia/J Bar

The NSW Police, notified of the incident, defended the officer. A spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia that Blakeshurt, where the road is located, is ‘over-represented in speed-related crashes.’

The law enforcement agency also justified the officer’s choice to hide behind a pole and park their motorcycle on a footpath.

According to the NSW police, its officers employ different strategies to enforce speed limits and catch offenders. Being in the force subjects them to some exemptions as well in the performance of their duties.

It also makes sense for officers to stay near their vehicles. According to the police, it is for their officers’ safety. It also allows them to respond quickly in case of emergencies.

What do our SDC members think? Is the policeman justified in his actions? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
Lots of thoughts come to mind on this one. To some extent I agree with previous comments here. To sum up, my thoughts are:
1. The motor cycle cop is not justified in himself breaking the law by parking on the nature strip/footpath. He should be setting a good (law-abiding) example. Do we remember the oft-used quote: do as I say, not as I do?;
2. His actions in secretly monitoring speeding drivers is NOT saving any lives;
3. It is too late, when you receive the fine in the post a few days after the offence, to slow the motorist down on the day of the offence;
4. With all of the above in mind, this exercise is clearly a fund raising exercise;
5. Finally, it’s a long-held belief that, certainly in certain circumstances, catching drivers out (eg, speeding) is to fulfil certain quotas, even though the Force strenuously denies this as being a fact.

Let’s forget about what the police officer is doing, because your missing the simple point, DON’T SPEED, the they could go fully cammo and it wouldn’t matter, stop thinking a out yourselves like normal

A Sydney policeman was captured in a photo hiding behind a pole on the busy King George’s Road. The officer was supposedly trying to catch and fine drivers going above the speed limit.

It was said that school zones were in place at the time, meaning that the speed limit was brought down to 40 km/h.

The picture, posted on Facebook, sparked a debate among Aussies on the social media platform.

Many thought the police officer, who was not wearing his hi-vis uniform, was being ‘sneaky.’ Others speculated that his actions were a scheme to issue fines to unknowing drivers and generate revenue for the police.

There were doubts about whether spotting speeding drivers this way prevents accidents in school zones.

‘Him hiding with a camera doesn't physically nor effectively slow the car down that is speeding,’ a Facebook user reasoned, ‘God forbid a child gets hit by a car, how much can him being there prevent it from happening? It's purely to raise money.’

View attachment 4831
Some Aussies thought that the policeman’s actions were ‘disgraceful.’ Credit: Facebook/Yahoo News

Others also pointed out that the police officer was committing a fineable offence of his own — his motorcycle was blocking a footpath.

A reply to the Facebook post said: ‘I am certain it is illegal to obstruct a pedestrian walkway with a motor vehicle, let alone park on a footpath.’

Another person commented, ‘So the point of this is that to enforce the law, the police knowingly break the law making an utter mockery of the entire process.’

The officer did not have to hide to do his job, some Aussies argued. Being deliberately discreet while on duty could easily be taken as ‘grubby’ and ‘disgraceful’.

But not everyone has agreed. Others considered the policeman’s actions to be justified, especially when children’s safety was at risk.

‘I’m sure I’m the only one that slows down to 40 in a school zone, so I hope he catches a few,’ someone wrote.

‘Just slow down,’ some said, implying that it was the easy but also right thing to do.

View attachment 4832
King George's Road is often subject to speeding complaints. Credit: Wikipedia/J Bar

The NSW Police, notified of the incident, defended the officer. A spokesperson told Yahoo News Australia that Blakeshurt, where the road is located, is ‘over-represented in speed-related crashes.’

The law enforcement agency also justified the officer’s choice to hide behind a pole and park their motorcycle on a footpath.

According to the NSW police, its officers employ different strategies to enforce speed limits and catch offenders. Being in the force subjects them to some exemptions as well in the performance of their duties.

It also makes sense for officers to stay near their vehicles. According to the police, it is for their officers’ safety. It also allows them to respond quickly in case of emergencies.

What do our SDC members think? Is the policeman justified in his actions? Let us know in the comments below.
This has been going on for years, I remember when I used to drive to Cowra from Sydney on the Goulburn Road there were some huge hills on the expressway and yep you guessed it, at the bottom hiding in the tree's was the HWP car, I thought they banned this procedure but anyway, it is not new.

It’s an everyday occurrence in WA.. we have bigger cameras also they move around & leave for a few days.. it’s revenue raising at it’s finest!

Reactions: Ricci and riskydave
It’s an everyday occurrence in WA.. we have bigger cameras also they move around & leave for a few days.. it’s revenue raising at it’s finest!
They have Camera's like that in QLD on Trailers, they leave them at one place for awhile, a few days or weeks maybe and then move them to someone where else, they also have cars and SUV's full of camera's that park in some obscure places as well, all unmarked. If you drive to the numbers on your speedo you are pretty safe, Speedometers are nearly all calculated a few k's slower in cars now days so you should never get booked. I think it is slower, so if it says you are doing a 100 you are doing about 98.

I never understood the childish ways of people saying it’s revenue Raising. I’ve never seen hardly any cameras till they are upon me. But I don’t speed!!!
. If you receive a fine a few weeks later and you didn’t see the radar then you will behave and not know where they are and you will slow down.
why is there so many excuses and accusations for revenue raising,,,,,hiding,,,,no high vis,,,,no signs to make you appear the model citizen😂😂, So how about this. You broke the law, you were speeding and you cant accept the appropriate actions taken against you.

They have Camera's like that in QLD on Trailers, they leave them at one place for awhile, a few days or weeks maybe and then move them to someone where else, they also have cars and SUV's full of camera's that park in some obscure places as well, all unmarked. If you drive to the numbers on your speedo you are pretty safe, Speedometers are nearly all calculated a few k's slower in cars now days so you should never get booked. I think it is slower, so if it says you are doing a 100 you are doing about 98.
Agree. Don’t speed and who cares less what camera is where!!!

View attachment 4831

View attachment 4832

It's quite simple, DON'T SPEED! Speeding fines go to the Government, not the Police. If you don't speed it doesn't matter where they hide does it?

Yes, we have cars & SUV’s as well plus the hide the multi nova in the garbage bin, & at bus stops or in bushes etc.. i always drive with cruise on for that reason..

Sneaky or not? I see this from another angle, his safety and the possibility of causing an accident.
His visibility or rather lack of on the side of a busy road is the very reason NSW motorists are fined for not slowing down to 40kph. I realise this is not exactly the case here BUT it is enforced when Police or Emergency workers with red and blue lights flashing on the side of the road and motorists do not slow down to 40 kph. This was introduced to ensure they had greater protection in a hazardous environment, He cannot be seen and if he stepped out from behind his little hiding place there is a good possibility of him causing an accident or being injured due to lack of time motorist has to react. All too often I have seen police officers on the side of the road in very low light conditions without a hi-vis vest They can't have it both ways.

Reactions: Ricci and Sloopy
Agree with the comments made… drive within the speed limit set…no probs.
I don’t agree with hiding cameras or police hiding behind anything…it’s just such a deplorable action to take.
Most drivers will do the right thing.

Reactions: Ricci and Sloopy

View attachment 4831

View attachment 4832

Agree with the comments made… drive within the speed limit set…no probs.
I don’t agree with hiding cameras or police hiding behind anything…it’s just such a deplorable action to take.
Most drivers will do the right thing.
I

View attachment 4831

View attachment 4832

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 4831

View attachment 4832

I Think they are perfectly justified. The officer is trying to stop speeding drivers in a very vulnerable place. Often they have to place vehicles where normal citizens cannot eg. middle of the road to guide vehicles. Of course if this were done in normal roads, that will be sneaky.

Reactions: Ricci