Notorious swim coach with troubling history passes away in hospital

Disclaimer: This content addresses sensitive topics related to pedophilia and sexual abuse, which may be distressing to some readers. If you or someone you know is affected, please seek support from a professional or helpline. Viewer discretion is advised.

The Australian swimming community is grappling with a complex legacy following the death of a once-respected Sydney swim coach, Dick Caine, who passed away in hospital while in palliative care for terminal cancer.

His death comes just a month after he was convicted of heinous crimes against young athletes he was entrusted to mentor and protect.

Dick Caine, 78, was a prominent figure in the world of competitive swimming, having coached at the Carss Park swimming pool in Sydney’s south.

However, beneath the surface of his professional achievements lay a disturbing pattern of abuse that would eventually come to light.

1727307693773.png
Sydney swim coach Dick Caine has passed away in hospital at 78, a month after facing legal consequences for past offences. Credit: Facebook

Caine was found guilty of 39 sexual offences, including rape and indecent assault, against six of his teenage students.

The assaults, which took place in the 1970s and ‘80s, occurred at the swimming facility, in his car, and at his home, with the victims being as young as ten and up to 16 years old.

The full details of Caine's crimes were revealed after his lawyers' attempts to keep his identity a secret were overruled.

They had argued that public identification could have detrimental effects on his health.

However, the court decided transparency was paramount, especially for the victims seeking justice.

Due to his terminal illness, Caine was excused from directly answering the allegations, leading to a special hearing instead of a traditional trial.

Upon reviewing the evidence, NSW District Court Judge Paul McGuire declared it reliable despite the decades that had passed since the incidents.

'I am satisfied that each of the elements of each of the offences has been established beyond reasonable doubt,' he stated.

The verdict brought a palpable sense of relief to the victims present in the courtroom. Emotions ran high as they hugged, cried, and consoled each other, with one proclaiming, 'We've done it.'

The court's findings not only met but exceeded their expectations, providing a form of legal and symbolic closure, forever tarnishing Caine's legacy with the truth of his actions.
Key Takeaways

• Sydney swim coach Dick Caine has died in hospital at the age of 78, a month after being convicted of historical child sex offences.
  • Caine was found to have committed 39 sexual offences against six of his teenage students during the 1970s and ‘80s.
  • The offences occurred at Carss Park swimming pool and other locations, with victims ranging from 10 to 16 years old.
  • The case was decided in a special hearing rather than a full trial due to Caine's terminal cancer, and his name was made public after a failed bid to keep it secret.
How do you believe communities can better protect young athletes? What measures are essential to ensure those in positions of trust are held accountable? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
justice was too short for that evil bastard!

I had 2 abusers - one was my biological father the other his best mate they tag teamed me and my younger brother! The biological covered it up by lies to a shrink and had him dope my ass up on meds to hide what he did to us! When it finally came out (When i went to live with my mum and she got a doctor to wean me off as they were causing me to pass out a lot) we went to the cops and they tried but there wasn't enough evidence so they filed it but left it open. Then a relative who is/was a cop on my grandmothers side on the grandmothers request went and targeted the file and destroyed it. The grandmother bragged she had her do it and was proud of it as she was sleeping with the biological father. the cop got away with it. and the asswipes too. (assholes are useful but asswipes are only good once). The biological is dead now but i spent most of my life with him out of it and i never cried when i heard - we chucked a party instead.

I had 2 abusers - one was my biological father the other his best mate they tag teamed me and my younger brother! The biological covered it up by lies to a shrink and had him dope my ass up on meds to hide what he did to us! When it finally came out (When i went to live with my mum and she got a doctor to wean me off as they were causing me to pass out a lot) we went to the cops and they tried but there wasn't enough evidence so they filed it but left it open. Then a relative who is/was a cop on my grandmothers side on the grandmothers request went and targeted the file and destroyed it. The grandmother bragged she had her do it and was proud of it as she was sleeping with the biological father. the cop got away with it. and the asswipes too. (assholes are useful but asswipes are only good once). The biological is dead now but i spent most of my life with him out of it and i never cried when i heard - we chucked a party instead.
How utterly evil these predators are. Hope they burn in hell forever!

So you had a sperm donor too. My biological father the sperm donor raped my two sisters and my brother . His friend also raped my brother when he was 10.

My brother was raped by my mothers 3rd and last husband . My mother has that husbands ashes and he wants them so he can empty them in the toilet

Our father remarried then had a boy and girl with someone else and molested that girl from when she was 8 to 15. She told me when she was 12 what was happening. I reported it to Docs and the police . They went around and interviewed him and my half sister and all was denied.

My half sister finally had him arrested when she was 35 . He was 75. He is serving 8 years of an 11 year sentence. He gets out in February .

It's unbelievable how many people this has happened to and how many sick and evil predators are out there.

Two of my sisters who are now 56 and 58 are still Heroin Addicts thanks to that bastard.

I hope you received help and have had your closure.

Remember your not alone.

I was raised by my grandparents so I was pretected. My mother was only 13 and sperm donor ( I can't call him dad) he was 18 . The judge actually said my mother was his first victim.

I however loss my virginity through being gang raped