SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Note left by an Aussie parent of a child with autism causes a stir online – ‘Terrible parent!’

Raising a child with autism is completely different from what most parents would experience. They require special parental techniques that will support them best and help them overcome developmental challenges.

According to Health Direct, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) ‘is a lifelong developmental disorder. It affects how people behave and interact with the world around them as their brains do not grow in the same way it does in most people.’

‘ASD is not a mental health problem or an intellectual disability. But some people with ASD will also have those problems.’

Despite these difficulties, thousands were left enraged when one mum of a child with autism left an odd note to warn a resident who parked in a particular spot.

Detailing the story on Reddit, the resident revealed how his wife found the handwritten message on her car one morning. The note was left on the windscreen of a car by a parent living in the same apartment complex, informing the car owner against parking her car along the area.

The parent explained that their son typically throws items from their balcony, which could potentially damage the vehicle.

‘Please note that our son is impulsive and destructive,’ the note read.

‘Since moving in, he has drawn on my car with texta and thrown a few rocks across the front of the complex – and if a car was parked where this one is, it would have smashed the window.’

‘He has also thrown numerous items from our balcony.’

‘I know that I have been very vocal about cars parking out the front here and this is a huge factor. I, as a parent of an ADHD/ASD child, can only pre-empt so much.’

‘Please only park here if you’re willing to accept damage to your car.’ the mum concluded her message.

dsDfZ1usPALDdqqQDgCCmTgOeWoZVG-oLAgr2hTqQLzbmMpRcslkPWQzqbPnLXbdGxNHv-8qC1fhmrXTVVq6IGhV5BsSb0Wlbp5kO03eXfQ-qX1uPiWeEB5P9012xa2-1UJPWEr6vUyGVxt4C8Z_n1RCrn8l2GXbkrZGojo5ln-9w7XXVyIXN7ki1Q

The parent left a warning note on the resident’s car. Source: 7News

Since the post was shared, it garnered more than 9,000 comments and 70,000 votes on Reddit.

Many criticised the parent for the ‘infuriating’ note, accusing them of ‘not taking enough responsibility’ for her son. Which side are you on?

‘As someone who has a six-year-old on the spectrum, you need to take these things more seriously.’ one user replied.

‘Yes, there is a limit on pre-empting but the next best thing is taking factors out of the equation.’ another chimed in.

‘You simply remove the rocks to prevent them from throwing f***ing rocks off the balcony. Better yet, get locks installed at the top so the kid can’t just go outside whenever they want.’ a third wrote.

‘Just reading this note triggered my anxiety.’ a fourth shared.

Another said: ‘The parent is still responsible for any damage caused by the kid. It doesn’t matter if they feel like they’ve done everything they can, they’re still on the hook for damages. Even if a kid destroys something by accident. They’re not exempt because he’s ADHD and autistic.’

‘What if that rock hit and injured a child or an animal? The parents need to block access to the balcony. There has to be a child lock bar that can keep a sliding glass door from opening.’ one more added.

‘If that child is throwing things from the second floor it could hit people, kids, and pets below. Rocks that are big enough to damage a car can cause concussions or massive damage to someone.’ they continued.

‘At the end of the day, the parents may need to move to another apartment where they are not on the top floor or near parked cars, if possible. That’s on the parents to pick a location that suits the needs of their family.’

Source: @Friendly-Fix3598

Another commented: ‘I have ADHD myself and have two kids on the spectrum. I can confirm that we’ve never chucked things off of our balcony. You can’t just let your kids run amok. If a kid is having destructive inclinations, then they need to find a better way to support their child.’

‘All of this is preventable. Most things are. Lazy parents are the problem.’

But other Reddit users came to the parent’s defence, arguing that people may be unaware of the pressures they may be under.

‘I have a kid with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) and knew better than to read the comments. The parent should not have left that note, but it’s also impossible to understand the type of irrational and self-destructive behaviour they are dealing with.’ one user explained.

‘Some days it would be easier to have a kid with any other disorder that people would understand. Any solution that starts with ‘If the parents just…’ is just coming from people who haven’t lived through it.’

‘Yes, there are s****y parents, which just makes it harder for people to recognise when there are true neurological issues at play.’

Another said: ‘You’re right. I’ve witnessed a true ODD child in practice, and it’s honestly a horrible thing to go through, both for the kid and parent.’

‘The mum was completely frazzled, I think she had to quit her job to care for her child full-time. Poor kid didn’t understand why he did the things he did and the home was full of shouting and damaged property.’ they continued.

A third shared: ‘My brother has ASD and had ODD as a kid. He loved chucking things down the stairs. He broke so many kitchen timers at my grandma’s house because there were some perfect stairs for throwing things over the railing.’

‘At preschool, he would hit the teacher, he would hit my mum, he broke a lot of stuff impulsively. When I was a baby, he would do things like take a paper towel tube and scream in my ear or cover me in dirt.’

‘It had nothing to do with how my mum was raising him – but she took responsibility and would never have said “it’s on you if your car gets destroyed”.’

46sMh3iGfRs-h_D00PsuAFknfyw6POSGbK4LBDr0UzCfpEOSsL4qdVl1lb5y3ULdpfU0mNckanM1Sevg3zsUIE_6x_REQkSFzOvtbWbMpX1lblGVKsvxo8UUI-m870Ka7FyiMN2hkgg1KrRASQ5figoMq2XolS5kawGDWahmURQtaWbzwXxt2v_M4Q

Raising a child with autism isn’t easy. Source: Unsplash

‘She just wouldn’t bring him to certain places where he would be able to cause a huge disturbance. She always attended birthday parties with him so she could watch him, and not make it the host parents’ responsibility. It was extremely difficult for her.’ the user continued.

‘So, I very much understand this person requesting that nobody park directly below their balcony. However, if someone does and their car is damaged, she should still take responsibility and pay for damages. I just sympathise because it absolutely is not easy raising a kid like that. My brother is lovely now.’

Responding to comments, the resident who shared the note on Reddit shared an update. He said that he had spoken to the parent in question, who admitted that they were struggling with a tough situation.

‘I went and spoke with them today, we had a decent chat for about 10 minutes,’ he said. ‘I could see they weren’t just projecting their problems onto us, and are genuinely trying to help their child.’

‘Context can be hard to read through paper. I’m glad we had a face-to-face chat. We are all parents trying to do our best. Clear and effective communication is the best tool we have.’

What are your thoughts about this article? Do you agree that the parent should have taken more accountability for their child’s actions or should people be more understanding when dealing with similar situations? Let us know in the comments!

Learn more about what the situation is like from another parent’s perspective by watching the video below:

Source: Boston Children’s Hospital

I have a grandson with severe autism he just turned 13 and his age level is that of a 3 year old.

People need to be understanding but you also have to take away things that would harm him or others.
We would never let him go on a balcony apart from throwing things over he might throw himself over.

Autistic people think like normal people the problem is between the brain and the action is where the problem is . Its like they think but by the time they go to do it or even talk it gets lost somewhere

My grandson will pinch to show he loves you He will also put his forehead on yours.

We don't expect people to change their habits to accommodate our grandson he is our families responsibility not others

He did once climb the neighbours fence and Swam in their pool , every though he has his own pool. He ate a couple of their plants , he will eat all plants and flowers.

My son extended his fence so he couldn't do it again.

You fix the problem without causing disruption to others.

Screenshot_20220920-123355_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Seeing as how up until fairly recently anyone suffering from these disorders was locked away and not seen by ordinary people the amount of education and understanding is lagging far behind the circumstances. As more of these people are included in day to day living situations maybe the level of understanding and acceptance will grow, I hope so.:)

Funny how all the problems of today never seemed to exist when I was a child. Yes, I had my problems but being over-sensitive to travel & being shot at at school during the war is what started my problems not modern-day living with its additives in food & upset air pollution. During my childhood, I never knew any child who was an acronym instead of a badly behaved kid. It just didn't happen because parents were just that parents, not trying to be the bosom buddies they try to be today

Funny how all the problems of today never seemed to exist when I was a child. Yes, I had my problems but being over-sensitive to travel & being shot at at school during the war is what started my problems not modern-day living with its additives in food & upset air pollution. During my childhood, I never knew any child who was an acronym instead of a badly behaved kid. It just didn't happen because parents were just that parents, not trying to be the bosom buddies they try to be today
Well said.

The autism spectrum is such an unknown quantity.
Humanity is learning all the time, but medicos don't know it all yet....
There has to be understanding from both sides.
The mother is overwrought.
She's trying to warn people, however, this does not negate her obligation for the safety of others' property....or her own son's safety.
That balcony door needs to be triple locked and then some all the time.
Let's try to walk a few steps in her shoes.....most of us don't realise how hard that might be.
Would be wonderful if she was provided with housing suitable for the whole family....not even being on ground level must be a huge problem for her.
I don't know the answers.....

I'm actually disappointed that this is even on this site and I'm disappointed that anyone would ask others to comment/have an opinion. this is basically asking people to judge parents and children in this situation; noone has the right to judge. walk a mile in their shoes; that won't give you the right to judge but it will show you why you shouldn't and why you shouldn't be asked to. life is hard enough these parents and these kids and they are constantly being judged. please don't add to it.

I have a 38 year old son with autism and a intellectual disability and who can function anywhere from a 4 year old to his age depending on skill and communication. He is considered non-verbal though can verbally communicate when he understands but is mainly echolalia in language but because of the wide differences in the spectrum scale each person with autism needs to be treated as an individual because it is a syndrome that has too many commonalities that not every person has and not always to the same level. When my son started at an ed support school and the speech pathologist asked me (when he was presented with 6 aged 6 year old children with autism what is the common denominator in their disability my answer was many but they must be treated as individuals and I would like to add he was the best speech pathologist I ever came across and the best school my sone could have gotten into as I truly believe their and our perseverance have got him to the level where is now at and so much more accepted by all. I am sure the mother in this case is doing here best to protect and nurture her son and still have consideration for the community around her.

I have a 38 year old son with autism and a intellectual disability and who can function anywhere from a 4 year old to his age depending on skill and communication. He is considered non-verbal though can verbally communicate when he understands but is mainly echolalia in language but because of the wide differences in the spectrum scale each person with autism needs to be treated as an individual because it is a syndrome that has too many commonalities that not every person has and not always to the same level. When my son started at an ed support school and the speech pathologist asked me (when he was presented with 6 aged 6 year old children with autism what is the common denominator in their disability my answer was many but they must be treated as individuals and I would like to add he was the best speech pathologist I ever came across and the best school my sone could have gotten into as I truly believe their and our perseverance have got him to the level where is now at and so much more accepted by all. I am sure the mother in this case is doing here best to protect and nurture her son and still have consideration for the community around her.
My grandson can't talk at all, he just makes noises , he is still in nappies at 13.

He will use a spoon while eating but prefers to use his hands.

I look at him and my heart breaks.

Can I ask , is he still at home. I don't know that my son will be able to when he is older

As he is getting older the more stronger he gets and frustrated.
They changed his medication which has now settled him but it is very very hard and he is only 13

Last edited:
Can I ask , is he still at home. I don't know that my son will be able to when he is older

As he is getting older the more stronger he gets and frustrated.
They changed his medication which has now settled him but it is very very hard and he us only 13
No 5 years ago he went into a group home (initially state funded and then NDIS) with Nulsen Haven - he is in a home with 5 other men, aged from 30 to 73 and there are carers there 24/7. At the moment he goes to recreation 2 days a week and supported work placement 3 days a week with ACTIV but their workshops will close next year (he has been going there for 20 years and the recreation group may also be closing. As well as been prime carer for my son for 33 years during that time I was also carer for my late mother who had dementia. We live in Western Australia.

My first thought was some sort of a physical barrier on the balcony which allowed this child visual access but not physical in the sense he could not throw objects.

Are any of the people here looking for sympathy? NO! They are making us all aware of the difficulties associated with raising such a child. Letting us see through their eyes what they see, what we believe are the 'odd behaviors', but which are normal to those afflicted with this terrible illness. We need to be understanding.

I believe this is an ideal forum to share this subject given the extensive following of the SDC & the diverse population & experiences here.

The gent who received the note on his car should have spoken to the mother first & foregone the posting on the web. He had a greater understanding after a 10 minute chat.

My wife's uncle also lived in Nulsen Haven for a period until his death. Her mother didn't make me aware of his existence until just before we married for fear l may think this ran in the genes. Perhaps ignorance or fear of what other people may say prevent them seeking the truth or talking about these things.

l have been in contact with people with not as bad conditions & all they need is to be understood & accepted.

I'm actually disappointed that this is even on this site and I'm disappointed that anyone would ask others to comment/have an opinion. this is basically asking people to judge parents and children in this situation; noone has the right to judge. walk a mile in their shoes; that won't give you the right to judge but it will show you why you shouldn't and why you shouldn't be asked to. life is hard enough these parents and these kids and they are constantly being judged. please don't add to it.
I'm glad this story is on this website, it may give a little of what people and parents go through living with autism or special needs.

It's an eye opener.

This article may help others to be more understanding and compassionate towards people living on the spectrum.

What people shouldn't do is film people who have disabilities either physical or mental.
Then post on line.

Until you know or live with someone who has autism you actually don't know how hard it is.

We try to prevent our grandson hurting others as well as prevent him being hurt by others

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I'm glad this story is on this website, it may give a little of what people and parents go through living with autism or special needs.

It's an eye opener.

This article may help others to be more understanding and compassionate towards people living on the spectrum.

What people shouldn't do is film people who have disabilities either physical or mental.
Then post on line.

Until you know or live with someone who has autism you actually don't know how hard it is.

We try to prevent our grandson hurting others as well as prevent him being hurt by others
I know you have a difficult task where your grandson is concerned. We appear to agree on several points.
Thankyou for sharing your experiences. Perhaps through this article, if read with an open mind, people will see this disability in a different light. The parents of these unfortunate souls did not want this to happen & those afflicted did not ask to be born with a handicap, but they do have a right to be accepted.

No 5 years ago he went into a group home (initially state funded and then NDIS) with Nulsen Haven - he is in a home with 5 other men, aged from 30 to 73 and there are carers there 24/7. At the moment he goes to recreation 2 days a week and supported work placement 3 days a week with ACTIV but their workshops will close next year (he has been going there for 20 years and the recreation group may also be closing. As well as been prime carer for my son for 33 years during that time I was also carer for my late mother who had dementia. We live in Western Australia.
Just Pat, sending you a big gentle hug🤗💕