Nostalgia hits Kmart shoppers with a throwback photo from 1987: 'Thanks for the trip down memory lane'

Ahhh, technology! It can be a pain with its addictiveness and the invariable onslaught of various notifications, but – as the saying goes – 'Wherever there's bad, there's always good nearby.'

In a digital world, we can look back through the haze of time and find memories both fond and funny. One example is the recent thread that started on Reddit from an 1987 photo of a Kmart store.

The photo showed a sign announcing the opening of Holly's Café, a chain of eateries that used to form an integral part of the Kmart experience throughout the late 80s and early 90s.

For those who used to frequent Holly's, the photo was like a time machine, transporting them back to a simpler and more carefree time, evoking waves of nostalgia.

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.07.36 AM.png
A throwback photo from 1987 of Kmart's Holly's café has sparked an outbreak of nostalgia among Kmart customers. Credit: Reddit.

Members of the Australian Nostalgia forum on Reddit, particularly those who had spent a lot of time at Kmart, reminisced about their childhoods – notably, the deliciousness of the 'crinkle-cut fries', the marvellousness of the 'Freddo frog in a jelly cup', and the many other goodies that used to be available.

'Ahh, those were the days. Those chips were a kid's dream!' one user commented, with another adding: 'Chicken schnitty chips and gravy, then asking my mum for the milk froth from her cappuccino…'

A third user joined the conversation, saying: 'Best chips and gravy ever!'. A fourth added: 'My uncle took me here for a pie, chips and gravy when I was young. It was amazing.'

Other shoppers also reminisced about the days when Kmart was more than just a retail store; it was a one-stop-shop for all your needs - from tyres, motor oil, car batteries, nuts and bolts, fabric by the metre, plants, garden mulch, and much more.

But what was most surprising for many of them was the recollection of the store selling guns and rifles in the 70s and 80s!

'My memory may be hazy, but I remember visiting Kmart in the mid-80s and seeing them on the shelves,' one user claimed, sparking a wave of shock among others. Another person confirmed and shared, 'I remember still seeing revolvers in a glass case mid 80's, in with all the fishing gear.'

Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.07.43 AM.png
Perhaps the biggest shock for many in the thread was the sight of customers smoking cigarettes while dining at the café. Credit: Reddit.

The level of detail in the Reddit post astonished many. One Redditor, in particular, was startled by how smoking was allowed in the cafe, a sight that would be deemed unacceptable today.

'I remember the cloud of cigarette smoke drifting into the shop,' they said.

All in all, the post provided a trip down memory lane for the Kmart shoppers, many of whom fondly reminisced about the simpler and carefree times of the past, when things weren't as complicated as they are today.

It was a window to a bygone era, a time when life moved at a slower pace and the joys of life were simpler. Needless to say, the photo not only brought back fond memories but also a sense of longing for a time that many miss.

'Thanks for the trip down memory lane,' said one person. Another added, 'Aww, this makes me think of Saturday morning shopping trips with my Nan back in the 80s. Going to Kmart for a new Hot Wheels car and then hotdogs and chips at Holly's.'

The closure of Holly's Cafes in Kmarts across the country in 2010 was a bittersweet moment for many. But, the possibility of their return has sparked the imagination of Kmart shoppers everywhere.

Rumours circulated in 2019 that Kmart was considering bringing back the café to celebrate its 50th year in business, and while it didn't happen, it still may happen in the future.
Key Takeaways

• On Reddit, many Aussies fondly reminisced about their experiences and the delicious food they had savoured at Holly's café within Kmart stores located across the country.
  • Many shoppers fondly remembered the chips and gravy that were once available at the café.
  • Customers also recalled that the store sold guns in the past, and many were amazed to find that smoking was allowed at the café.
  • Holly's cafe was once a staple feature of Kmart stores during the 1980s and 1990s but closed its doors in 2010.
The thought of Holly's Café making a comeback has many Kmart shoppers on the edge of their seats, and the question on everyone's mind is - will they return?

Only time will tell, but in the meantime, we want to hear from you! If you ever enjoyed a meal at Holly's Café, let us know in the comments below. Share your stories, and let's keep the memories alive together.

Sponsored
Ahhhhh I remember the days when Kmart had a cafe....was a cheap option to take the kids to when shopping in the school holidays. Our cafe was at the back of the store right next to the gun section.

Back in the days when Kmart concentrated on catering to its customers, instead of virtue signalling to minority groups and trampling all over our national day!

For those of you who don’t know, Kmart has refused to sell any merchandise relating to Australia Day. Before you start calling me a racist, I’ve forgotten more about the struggles of our Indigenous than most Aussies will ever know. However one thing I know is that the genuine Aborigines living on country don’t give two hoots about the so called voice or the date of Australia Day. It’s the city dwelling Fauxborigines making all the noise and the feeble minded have been sucked in.

Kmart, you’ve lost me!

Ahhh, technology! It can be a pain with its addictiveness and the invariable onslaught of various notifications, but – as the saying goes – 'Wherever there's bad, there's always good nearby.'

In a digital world, we can look back through the haze of time and find memories both fond and funny. One example is the recent thread that started on Reddit from an 1987 photo of a Kmart store.

The photo showed a sign announcing the opening of Holly's Café, a chain of eateries that used to form an integral part of the Kmart experience throughout the late 80s and early 90s.

For those who used to frequent Holly's, the photo was like a time machine, transporting them back to a simpler and more carefree time, evoking waves of nostalgia.

View attachment 12145
A throwback photo from 1987 of Kmart's Holly's café has sparked an outbreak of nostalgia among Kmart customers. Credit: Reddit.

Members of the Australian Nostalgia forum on Reddit, particularly those who had spent a lot of time at Kmart, reminisced about their childhoods – notably, the deliciousness of the 'crinkle-cut fries', the marvellousness of the 'Freddo frog in a jelly cup', and the many other goodies that used to be available.

'Ahh, those were the days. Those chips were a kid's dream!' one user commented, with another adding: 'Chicken schnitty chips and gravy, then asking my mum for the milk froth from her cappuccino…'

A third user joined the conversation, saying: 'Best chips and gravy ever!'. A fourth added: 'My uncle took me here for a pie, chips and gravy when I was young. It was amazing.'

Other shoppers also reminisced about the days when Kmart was more than just a retail store; it was a one-stop-shop for all your needs - from tyres, motor oil, car batteries, nuts and bolts, fabric by the metre, plants, garden mulch, and much more.

But what was most surprising for many of them was the recollection of the store selling guns and rifles in the 70s and 80s!

'My memory may be hazy, but I remember visiting Kmart in the mid-80s and seeing them on the shelves,' one user claimed, sparking a wave of shock among others. Another person confirmed and shared, 'I remember still seeing revolvers in a glass case mid 80's, in with all the fishing gear.'

View attachment 12146
Perhaps the biggest shock for many in the thread was the sight of customers smoking cigarettes while dining at the café. Credit: Reddit.

The level of detail in the Reddit post astonished many. One Redditor, in particular, was startled by how smoking was allowed in the cafe, a sight that would be deemed unacceptable today.

All in all, the post provided a trip down memory lane for the Kmart shoppers, many of whom fondly reminisced about the simpler and carefree times of the past, when things weren't as complicated as they are today.

It was a window to a bygone era, a time when life moved at a slower pace and the joys of life were simpler. Needless to say, the photo not only brought back fond memories but also a sense of longing for a time that many miss.

'Thanks for the trip down memory lane,' said one person. Another added, 'Aww, this makes me think of Saturday morning shopping trips with my Nan back in the 80s. Going to Kmart for a new Hot Wheels car and then hotdogs and chips at Holly's.'

The closure of Holly's Cafes in Kmarts across the country in 2010 was a bittersweet moment for many. But, the possibility of their return has sparked the imagination of Kmart shoppers everywhere.

Rumours circulated in 2019 that Kmart was considering bringing back the café to celebrate its 50th year in business, and while it didn't happen, it still may happen in the future.
Key Takeaways

• On Reddit, many Aussies fondly reminisced about their experiences and the delicious food they had savoured at Holly's café within Kmart stores located across the country.
  • Many shoppers fondly remembered the chips and gravy that were once available at the café.
  • Customers also recalled that the store sold guns in the past, and many were amazed to find that smoking was allowed at the café.
  • Holly's cafe was once a staple feature of Kmart stores during the 1980s and 1990s but closed its doors in 2010.
The thought of Holly's Café making a comeback has many Kmart shoppers on the edge of their seats, and the question on everyone's mind is - will they return?

Only time will tell, but in the meantime, we want to hear from you! If you ever enjoyed a meal at Holly's Café, let us know in the comments below. Share your stories, and let's keep the memories alive together.

Yes please bring them back.

I can remember going to Coles in Perth in the 1960's. They had a cafeteria area on the second floor as well as an area where you could get take away lunches, and morning and afternoon teas. The lunches were either ready made or could be made to order while you waited. I made frequent use of this when I was working back then.

• Love
Reactions: Phyll and Ricci

View attachment 12145

View attachment 12146

Key Takeaways

Back in the day Myer also sold firearms in the sporting section

Reactions: Ricci
Back in the days when Kmart concentrated on catering to its customers, instead of virtue signalling to minority groups and trampling all over our national day!

For those of you who don’t know, Kmart has refused to sell any merchandise relating to Australia Day. Before you start calling me a racist, I’ve forgotten more about the struggles of our Indigenous than most Aussies will ever know. However one thing I know is that the genuine Aborigines living on country don’t give two hoots about the so called voice or the date of Australia Day. It’s the city dwelling Fauxborigines making all the noise and the feeble minded have been sucked in.

Kmart, you’ve lost me!
I agree with you 100%. I’m not racist but it is very hard to respect someone who is whiter than me telling me I stole their land.

I discovered a Kmart Cafe memory from my son just recently. When the kids were small for special occasions (birthdays etc. ) Nanny and Pop would take them into Perth to buy a special present and they would have lunch at Kmart. Nanny (my Mum) was a holy terror, much worse than the kids and my dad used to quite often disown her! Anyway, my son tells me that it was in Kmart that Nanny taught them how to flick peas off their forks and they had a real food (pea) fight much to the kids delight. Pop moved tables! To her credit she did make sure that everything was picked up after and the table and floor was left spotless. Grandparents, they're supposed to set the tone but that memory sure stuck for my son, but how come I'm only just hearing about it some 30 odd years later!?!?! :rolleyes: ;) :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 12145

View attachment 12146

Key Takeaways

I can remember my Dad taking me to the first K Mart that was opened in WA. We had not been here very long and we were still trying to get used to every thing that was different between Australia and the UK, we were amazed at the size difference in Supermarkets and the shopping centers here and I was "GOB Smacked"at the huge size of this New K Mart as well as being very excited at the thought of going shopping in side it. I remember being surprised at the sight of the cafe and pestered Dad for my new favorite drink, "Passiona", probably spelt wrong sorry! I can't remember If Dad and I actually bought anything from the shop apart from my drink but I do remember wondering around the aisles staring at everything in excited wonder. Oh to be so excited again about wandering around the shops, now years later, as an Adult I just get frustrated and agitated with it all.

Ahhhhh I remember the days when Kmart had a cafe....was a cheap option to take the kids to when shopping in the school holidays. Our cafe was at the back of the store right next to the gun section.
Yeah I bought a gun from KMART in 1972 and walked through the streets of Warrawong NSW to my mates place and no one took any notice of the slug gun I was carrying

I too bought a “slug gun” from K-Mart, you did need a firearms license but that only involved a trip to the local police station and paying the required fee.
They stocked a wide range of firearms( chained to the racks and were quite happy to let you hold them and check them out for yourself.)
They also sold the ammunition as well.

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci