No end in sight for neighbourhood dispute – which side are you on?

As detailed in one of our previous articles, we talked about a heated argument between neighbours over a brick wall that resulted in a war of iPhone videos and TikTok clips uploaded against one another.

Here's a quick recap of what happened: It all started when Valentina, a homeowner from Edensor Park in Sydney's western suburbs, decided to film a wild dispute she was having with her neighbours.

Apparently, Valentina's neighbours were not happy about a brick wall that was being built on her property – even though it was being built entirely within the boundary of her home and wasn't affecting them in any way.

In fact, the wall was being built for the sole purpose of holding back rainwater that flows from their property (which sits higher than Valentina's) during heavy storms to prevent flooding.

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 10.46.36 AM.png
There has been tension between Valentina (left) and her neighbours for quite some time. Credit: TikTok.

But instead of simply talking to Valentina about their concerns like rational adults would do, Connie and her husband (the neighbours in question) decided to take matters into their own hands – quite literally.

They came outside and started hosing down the wall while tradies were trying to build it in an attempt to prevent it from setting properly!

And when that didn't work, Connie's husband kicked some bricks off of the wall before his wife pulled him away – all while being filmed by Valentina herself! Crazy stuff indeed…

After the dispute went viral on the internet, Valentina was the one who was able to persuade people to listen to her side of the story.

However, after having her interview with A Current Affair, Connie was able to speak publicly about the situation.

There are, after all, always two sides to a story.

While Valentina claimed that she just wanted to build a brick wall to prevent rainfall from flooding her property, Connie argued that the council policy states that kerbing, fencing, and retaining walls must not block water flow.

'I won't give up; the police can arrest me,' Connie added. 'But I have to protect my land.'

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 10.46.30 AM.png
The brick wall issue was not the first time the neighbours clashed. Credit: TikTok.

Valentina went on to share that this was not the first time she had an issue with Connie and her husband. In July, she filmed them 'trespassing' her property, standing in her driveway at night and shining a phone light towards the garage.

There were also times when the couple made Valentina 'uncomfortable', especially whenever they took photos of her and her family, including her nephew, who is a minor.

'They have cameras that face directly into our backyard, that they've been asked to turn around, and they refuse. Neighbours have told us that they've seen them looking over the fence and into our property when we're not home.'

Valentina shared that her family is still having frequent conflicts with their next-door neighbours and that they have already decided to take them to court next year.

Credit: A Current Affair.

As of yet, it seems that there is no progress yet towards a resolution, but we can only hope that these two neighbours can work out their issues as soon as possible.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have any crazy neighbour experiences you'd like to share with us? We'd love to hear them! You can post them in the comments section below.

Sponsored
As detailed in one of our previous articles, we talked about a heated argument between neighbours over a brick wall that resulted in a war of iPhone videos and TikTok clips uploaded against one another.

Here's a quick recap of what happened: It all started when Valentina, a homeowner from Edensor Park in Sydney's western suburbs, decided to film a wild dispute she was having with her neighbours.

Apparently, Valentina's neighbours were not happy about a brick wall that was being built on her property – even though it was being built entirely within the boundary of her home and wasn't affecting them in any way.

In fact, the wall was being built for the sole purpose of holding back rainwater that flows from their property (which sits higher than Valentina's) during heavy storms to prevent flooding.

View attachment 8241
There has been tension between Valentina (left) and her neighbours for quite some time. Credit: TikTok.

But instead of simply talking to Valentina about their concerns like rational adults would do, Connie and her husband (the neighbours in question) decided to take matters into their own hands – quite literally.

They came outside and started hosing down the wall while tradies were trying to build it in an attempt to prevent it from setting properly!

And when that didn't work, Connie's husband kicked some bricks off of the wall before his wife pulled him away – all while being filmed by Valentina herself! Crazy stuff indeed…

After the dispute went viral on the internet, Valentina was the one who was able to persuade people to listen to her side of the story.

However, after having her interview with A Current Affair, Connie was able to speak publicly about the situation.

While Valentina claimed that she just wanted to build a brick wall to prevent rainfall from flooding her property, Connie argued that the council policy states that kerbing, fencing, and retaining walls must not block water flow.

'I won't give up; the police can arrest me,' Connie added. 'But I have to protect my land.'

View attachment 8242
The brick wall issue was not the first time the neighbours clashed. Credit: TikTok.

Valentina went on to share that this was not the first time she had an issue with Connie and her husband. In July, she filmed them 'trespassing' her property, standing in her driveway at night and shining a phone light towards the garage.

There were also times when the couple made Valentina 'uncomfortable', especially whenever they took photos of her and her family, including her nephew, who is a minor.

'They have cameras that face directly into our backyard, that they've been asked to turn around, and they refuse. Neighbours have told us that they've seen them looking over the fence and into our property when we're not home.'

Valentina shared that her family is still having frequent conflicts with their next-door neighbours and that they have already decided to take them to court next year.

As of yet, it seems that there is no progress yet towards a resolution, but we can only hope that these two neighbours can work out their issues as soon as possible.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you have any crazy neighbour experiences you'd like to share with us? We'd love to hear them! You can post them in the comments section below.

When I married my husband 5 years ago we had trouble with neighbours on both sides. We’re seniors. Firstly we liked sitting around our brassiere in the back yard on a cold night . Charlie (neighbour) got on a ladder and took photos…I said you can’t do that it’s our private space….he called me a f..Ken bitch and to go back where I came from.
I was on phone to police and they said he can’t do that it’s private space when a fire engine came speeding up to our home( he called 000 ) because of our little brassiere fire. Fire officers said we done nothing wrong . He got a huge fine for calling 000 when it wasn’t a emergency. A week later council came about a complaint about brassiere fire, again we had done nothing wrong.
Our plants and vegetables on his side of property had something put on them and they continued to die. I could go on and on.
We just ignore Charlie and don’t use brassiere anymore and don’t enjoy our own backyard anymore.
It’s just too stressful.
It’s not right . Bad neighbours 😡
Jhbeal

My neighbours would not pick a fight with me because I dont take crap and will outlast, outplay and win anything they wish to throw at me, legally of course. The good thing is I get along well with all my neighbours and if something is wrong, I talk to them about it. Most people seem to forget that people can come to your front door as a legal right, its only after you have told them not to it becomes a trespass. So if you close a gate to stop a member of the public from doing that or you have a dog that attacks someone, you are liable.

Whatever happened to communication between neighbours? This is what happened when we had an issue with a neighbour in the "old Australia" we lived in and loved? I sold my house in Wetherill Park, Sydney, because I was getting nothing but middle eastern people move into the street that had absolutely no respect for anyone. They constantly parked in front of my driveway while I had my 90+ year old mother at home. Talking to the led to me being abused which isn't a good idea as I have a temper and a dark side.
After many incidents in the area I had enough and sold up. I moved to a small country town where everyone is nice and caring. I felt that if I wanted to live in the middle east I would move there, not have it come into my street and area. Yes, I know some of you may say it racist and islamophobic. I've heard all that BS before and it infuriates me to be labelled.
Our family came to Australia in the mid 60's. We had the courtesy to learn the language and assimilate which, to me, is the a commitment to become a citizen of this country in every way. You cannot change your past but you sure can control your future.
It is a shame that a blot of Australians feel like they've become second class citizens as a result of successive governments' greed and lack of consideration for people that really want to be here. Not to come here with their hands out and feeling entitled.

View attachment 8241

View attachment 8242

As I understand it, it's illegal to interrupt the natural flow of runoff between properties so the wall and its intent are illegal unless sufficient drains are provided so the wall has little purpose

View attachment 8241

View attachment 8242

It looks like all Valentine is trying to do is stop her garage being flooded which is fair enough. If Connie and her husband filled up the hole on their side of the brick wall and sloped it to the end of the brick wall then that would stop the water building up. Why is there so much anger when there is such a simple solution?

I always feel there is a right and a wrong way to going about these things.
We once had a problem with a little dog next door that yapped the whole
time the owner was at work.
My husband's plan was to go over and complain, however if you start "bouncing the ball"at people their reaction is usually to bounce it back .
I put a note in her letterbox, explaining that I realised she wasn't aware of the problem and that it appears that her little dog suffers from separation anxiety.
Problem solved, she was very grateful and arranged for her dog to stay with her mother during the day.

View attachment 8241

View attachment 8242

They are the neighbours from hell. All they are trying to do is stop water flooding into their garage etc. Connie should be charged with vandalism and invasion of privacy. I think Connie and hubby should be physco analysed and maybe committed.

Unfortunately you can't pick your neighbours. Luckily I've always had good ones.:)
I have also been lucky most of the time, including the very nosy neighbour who felt I needed looking after because I was a single female at the time, they were ever happy to let me know who had called in while I was out, including my ex husband whom they took an immediate disliking too, strange that!! However the neighbour that I remember the most, in another rental that I had, was not the problem it was some friends of his wife,they had no respect at all for my section of the property and I would constantly come home to find their car parked right in front of my door, making it impossible to open the door and get inside. One time they had actually gone out with his wife and left their car there, the husband had to hot wire the car to move it and allow me in through the door Another time they sat outside revving the engine of their car filling my unit with exhaust fumes, In the end I complained to the property management and luckily they valued me as a tenant and threatened the couple with eviction unless they controlled their friends.

BTW the last time i looked we spoke and wrote English. How is it you write "gotten" out of hand? Why the Americana?
According to the Macquarie dictionary - "Grammatically speaking, gotten is the past participle, though got can be used as the past participle as well. This humble word (gotten) originally hails from Middle English geten, from Old Norse geta, and is related to Old English gietan. In British English, gotten was the preferred form some centuries ago." It's just that English speakers in North America preserved gotten as the past participle of got. Outside of North America, the shortened version became standard. So both "got" and "gotten" are actually English, not "Americana".

View attachment 8241

View attachment 8242

In a perfect world, we’d all get along, and settle disputes in a mature way, before they get out of hand. What fine examples are being set for us to follow by warring nations. Anyway, while it’s great to have agreeable and friendly neighbours, it helps immensely to be one too. Have a great day all. 🙂👍

It looks like all Valentine is trying to do is stop her garage being flooded which is fair enough. If Connie and her husband filled up the hole on their side of the brick wall and sloped it to the end of the brick wall then that would stop the water building up. Why is there so much anger when there is such a simple solution?
This low area could be sloped towards the road & place blue metal in there to take water away. An alternative is slotted black pipe which water enters through the slots or lay concrete in a half curved shape, as a spoon drain to take water away. Any of these will work if the correct slope towards the road is done.

Reactions: Ricci
In a perfect world, we’d all get along, and settle disputes in a mature way, before they get out of hand. What fine examples are being set for us to follow by warring nations. Anyway, while it’s great to have agreeable and friendly neighbours, it helps immensely to be one too. Have a great day all. 🙂👍
Too true. Well said Peace ✌ People

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
1. That construction would surely fall into the category of modifications requiring council approval. If Valentina did not have such approval, she is in the wrong from the start.

2. Regardless of whether the construction was approved or not, Connie and her un-named husband behaved in a highly inappropriate manner on all counts.

When I married my husband 5 years ago we had trouble with neighbours on both sides. We’re seniors. Firstly we liked sitting around our brassiere in the back yard on a cold night . Charlie (neighbour) got on a ladder and took photos…I said you can’t do that it’s our private space….he called me a f..Ken bitch and to go back where I came from.
I was on phone to police and they said he can’t do that it’s private space when a fire engine came speeding up to our home( he called 000 ) because of our little brassiere fire. Fire officers said we done nothing wrong . He got a huge fine for calling 000 when it wasn’t a emergency. A week later council came about a complaint about brassiere fire, again we had done nothing wrong.
Our plants and vegetables on his side of property had something put on them and they continued to die. I could go on and on.
We just ignore Charlie and don’t use brassiere anymore and don’t enjoy our own backyard anymore.
It’s just too stressful.
It’s not right . Bad neighbours 😡
Jhbeal
So sorry for your loss...I too would have loved to sit around that fire with you. As for poisoning your veges...geez grown up neighbours.. I too had a bad neighbour experience, eventually they were moved on but not before a lot of heartache. Had new neighbours for 20 or so years till we sold last Chrissy. That was the only thing we disliked about moving. So far so good in our little over 55's complex.