New study reveals that one in four Australians experience tinnitus — here’s everything you need to know

Have you ever experienced hearing a tingling sound in your ears despite being in a quiet room?

While it may seem easy to shrug off and ignore, it could be a sign of something much more serious.

A new study published by Curtin University has revealed that an estimate of one in four Australians suffer from tinnitus — an irksome condition characterised by a ringing, buzzing, or clicking sound that sufferers hear in their ears.

Flc9qnM_NeOqapqvXWuGY4Te10oCMk7ROzDf-fcF3cEmvr83sQA_pj-Zh2Sgqqm7n_iHKOe9LAYfxTTfMDizwS-VUDf4aAJeVHkLKzWQHpfp45bciInaGdFzy_hzQdU06h4RUp4

One in four Aussies suffers from tinnitus. Credit: Martin Barraud/Getty Images.

The disease is said to be the leading cause for sufferers to feel disturbed during their sleep, leaving them feeling anxious or depressed.

The study followed 5000 Australian workers and used certain factors to measure the prevalence of tinnitus among the population.

It was reported that men are two times more susceptible to contracting the disease compared to women.

Age also plays a factor, with data revealing that the likelihood of constant tinnitus increases with age.

However, the study pointed out that the major contributor that triggers this disease is the individual's occupation.

It was stated that those who are working behind the wheel — drivers of taxis, buses, trains, forklifts, delivery trucks, and other automotive machines — are the most susceptible to suffering from this disease, with about 42 per cent of the participants claiming that they work in the automotive industry and are suffering from the disease.

Additionally, 36 per cent disclosed that they are employed as drivers.

uqkz1N51KxPQU1YgS6V-_cbkdHJ2kkFu0no4JUnzKBq_loGduRw_S5myqYdHvZodXm7AkGpVviW2URqSNzlXsOK01dK5_DCGwomD_ZwMt9qVZG0r1rcAW5pW3cYSWj3fTrQVkMU

It is no surprise that individuals working in noisy environments are more susceptible to contracting this disease compared to those who work in a more quiet environment. Credit: AAP.

The study suggests that workplace health and safety interventions should be prioritised to prevent the workers from developing this condition.

Curtin University professor and one of the co-authors of the study, Prof Lin Fritschi, said: “The prevalence of tinnitus was high in occupations most exposed to hazardous noise levels, such as farming, construction work, automotive industries and other trades.”

“However as drivers are not usually exposed to the same levels of loud noise as some other workers, it is interesting that this workforce has a high prevalence of tinnitus."

“One theory is that other workplace exposures, such as carbon monoxide in vehicle exhaust, may be contributing to the risk.”

The researcher also suggested that substances found in the workplace should also be examined for their contribution to the development of the disease in workers.

The report was released to support the campaign on raising awareness of the symptoms of tinnitus during the Tinnitus Awareness Week.

If you’re intrigued and want to hear what tinnitus sounds like, check out the video at the link below!

Credit: YouTube/ Hearing Healthcare Centre

Reactions: DiMcg and Ricci
Sponsored
New study reveals that one in four Australians experience tinnitus — here’s everything you need to know

Have you ever experienced hearing a tingling sound in your ears despite being in a quiet room?

While it may seem easy to shrug off and ignore, it could be a sign of something much more serious.

A new study published by Curtin University has revealed that an estimate of one in four Australians suffer from tinnitus — an irksome condition characterised by a ringing, buzzing, or clicking sound that sufferers hear in their ears.

Flc9qnM_NeOqapqvXWuGY4Te10oCMk7ROzDf-fcF3cEmvr83sQA_pj-Zh2Sgqqm7n_iHKOe9LAYfxTTfMDizwS-VUDf4aAJeVHkLKzWQHpfp45bciInaGdFzy_hzQdU06h4RUp4

The disease is said to be the leading cause for sufferers to feel disturbed during their sleep, leaving them feeling anxious or depressed.

The study followed 5000 Australian workers and used certain factors to measure the prevalence of tinnitus among the population.

It was reported that men are two times more susceptible to contracting the disease compared to women.

Age also plays a factor, with data revealing that the likelihood of constant tinnitus increases with age.

However, the study pointed out that the major contributor that triggers this disease is the individual's occupation.

It was stated that those who are working behind the wheel — drivers of taxis, buses, trains, forklifts, delivery trucks, and other automotive machines — are the most susceptible to suffering from this disease, with about 42 per cent of the participants claiming that they work in the automotive industry and are suffering from the disease.

uqkz1N51KxPQU1YgS6V-_cbkdHJ2kkFu0no4JUnzKBq_loGduRw_S5myqYdHvZodXm7AkGpVviW2URqSNzlXsOK01dK5_DCGwomD_ZwMt9qVZG0r1rcAW5pW3cYSWj3fTrQVkMU

It is no surprise that individuals working in noisy environments are more susceptible to contracting this disease compared to those who work in a more quiet environment. Credit: AAP.

The study suggests that workplace health and safety interventions should be prioritised to prevent the workers from developing this condition.

Curtin University professor and one of the co-authors of the study, Prof Lin Fritschi, said: “The prevalence of tinnitus was high in occupations most exposed to hazardous noise levels, such as farming, construction work, automotive industries and other trades.”

“However as drivers are not usually exposed to the same levels of loud noise as some other workers, it is interesting that this workforce has a high prevalence of tinnitus."

“One theory is that other workplace exposures, such as carbon monoxide in vehicle exhaust, may be contributing to the risk.”

The researcher also suggested that substances found in the workplace should also be examined for their contribution to the development of the disease in workers.

The report was released to support the campaign on raising awareness of the symptoms of tinnitus during the Tinnitus Awareness Week.

If you’re intrigued and want to hear what tinnitus sounds like, check out the video at the link below!

Perhaps the study could have included all the nurses who, prior to a mechanical blood pressure machine wore a stethescope around their neck ...no infection control!!

Reactions: SeniorSue
My Tinnitus sounds like 4 -14 was developed when working in diesel power stations. These were large engines up to 6000kW with mutiple engines.
Have been duped with people selling hearing aids to relieve the problem, load of B/S

Tone 2, and Tone 10. Constant for 50 years after I worked in a large government mainframe computer centre. Annoying and frustrating..

Cicadas that the sound I constantly hear and it is worse at night when I am trying to go to sleep.

Reactions: Zoeshipscat
1,2 & 4. Also 2 different sounds. Left ear 2 sounds plus 1 on and off. Right ear 1 sound. Trying a new product to see if it works to help a reduction in sounds. If it works I will post.

I suffer from central tinnitus....the noise is in the top of my head. The cicadas just don't rest.....constant chirping every second of every day.
Onset was 27th March 2020.
I was in lockdown as I was at high risk if I encountered anyone with Covid, I'd lost my sense of taste.
Teenager next door played ear-thumping, ear-splitting music for 6.5 hours in his backyard. My windows were rattling.
Council couldn't attend, so they gave me a Police number to ring. They said they'd come out. A few hours later, they hadn't come, so I rang again. Again, said they'd come.....they could hear the "music" through the phone.
If I'd known no-one was going to come, I'd have gone out in my car....and still been in isolation.
The noise could be heard 3km away!
Since then, I've suffered with this dreadful chirping in my head.
If it can be turned on, I do hope someone comes up with a solution to turn it off.

Permanent buzzing in my ears, but I can ignore it a lot of the time. I believe it started when my job entailed making tapes wearing headphones and then typing the taped evidence, once again wearing headphones. The buzzing never stops, but I can ignore it for long stretches of time.