New self-service feature at Woolies makes shopping simpler and faster – but is it spying on us?

Last year, Woolworths installed overhead cameras at some of their self-serve checkouts as a security measure as well as to help lessen the possibility of scanning errors.

However, did you know that more than one camera is keeping an eye on you as you check out?

Along with the overhead cameras, a hidden "second" camera was also installed inside self-serve scanners as part of a significant change to Woolworths' assisted checkouts last year.

And according to a spokesperson for the supermarket giant, this camera has two purposes.

v_uATcuJVWqxbMs0bJ5GJRP5KTooAYyrDr7fHd2YFL4nLn0TfItKMmDlbr7iGbogsSItihYupQuAmJgKmIx6M_750KEIDmbd-MMobbK0tcdWDMt_w2CYzi_xvb-XVJioKEc4koVQ-H7wgVIl1sM

Woolworths has added a second camera to self-serve scanners to identify products. Credit: Woolworths.

The camera is part of a "pick list" system that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to speed up checkouts by figuring out what kind of fruit or vegetable is being weighed.

"As we progressively upgrade our assisted checkouts, we have access to new technology, which helps customers find loose fruit and veg items in the system faster," a Woolies representative told Yahoo News.

Woolworths' cutting-edge technology automatically identifies the fruit or vegetable being scanned based on its colour, shape, or size and displays it on the screen so that the customer only needs to confirm the item before bagging it.

"So if a customer places a loose tomato on the scanner, the system will show a range of tomato varieties rather than the full list of fruit and veg items," the spokesperson explained.

"This makes our self-serve that little bit faster and improves the accuracy of product selection for customers."

The second camera not only helps speed up the process of scanning produce but also helps avoid theft by preventing customers from entering a cheaper product when they are weighing produce at the supermarket checkout.

However, because no technology is foolproof, the camera keeps track of what the shopper puts in their grocery bag. When the AI can't figure out what an item is, the checkout will let a Woolies employee know so they can check, showing them a picture of what's in the customer's bag.

According to Woolworths, the photos taken of the shopping bags are "not recorded or stored," just like the video recordings of customers' faces at self-service checkouts.

When Woolworths first put video surveillance cameras on the self-serve checkouts in May 2021, customers were "shocked," and some said it made them worry about their privacy.

But a spokesperson claimed that in an effort to reduce theft, the supermarket had added these cameras as another layer of security.

"We know the vast majority of our customers do the right thing at our self-serve check-outs. This is a new security measure we're trialling for those that don't."

Since then, the technology has been put in 685 of the supermarket's 1,000 stores in Australia, and the company plans to put it in every location over the next few years.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you believe adding a second camera to the checkout process will improve security? Or is this an additional concern regarding the customers' privacy? Comment below and let us know what you think.

Sponsored
Last year, Woolworths installed overhead cameras at some of their self-serve checkouts as a security measure as well as to help lessen the possibility of scanning errors.

However, did you know that more than one camera is keeping an eye on you as you check out?

Along with the overhead cameras, a hidden "second" camera was also installed inside self-serve scanners as part of a significant change to Woolworths' assisted checkouts last year.

And according to a spokesperson for the supermarket giant, this camera has two purposes.

v_uATcuJVWqxbMs0bJ5GJRP5KTooAYyrDr7fHd2YFL4nLn0TfItKMmDlbr7iGbogsSItihYupQuAmJgKmIx6M_750KEIDmbd-MMobbK0tcdWDMt_w2CYzi_xvb-XVJioKEc4koVQ-H7wgVIl1sM

Woolworths has added a second camera to self-serve scanners to identify products. Credit: Woolworths.

The camera is part of a "pick list" system that uses artificial intelligence (AI) to speed up checkouts by figuring out what kind of fruit or vegetable is being weighed.

"As we progressively upgrade our assisted checkouts, we have access to new technology, which helps customers find loose fruit and veg items in the system faster," a Woolies representative told Yahoo News.

Woolworths' cutting-edge technology automatically identifies the fruit or vegetable being scanned based on its colour, shape, or size and displays it on the screen so that the customer only needs to confirm the item before bagging it.

"So if a customer places a loose tomato on the scanner, the system will show a range of tomato varieties rather than the full list of fruit and veg items," the spokesperson explained.

"This makes our self-serve that little bit faster and improves the accuracy of product selection for customers."

The second camera not only helps speed up the process of scanning produce but also helps avoid theft by preventing customers from entering a cheaper product when they are weighing produce at the supermarket checkout.

However, because no technology is foolproof, the camera keeps track of what the shopper puts in their grocery bag. When the AI can't figure out what an item is, the checkout will let a Woolies employee know so they can check, showing them a picture of what's in the customer's bag.

According to Woolworths, the photos taken of the shopping bags are "not recorded or stored," just like the video recordings of customers' faces at self-service checkouts.

When Woolworths first put video surveillance cameras on the self-serve checkouts in May 2021, customers were "shocked," and some said it made them worry about their privacy.

But a spokesperson claimed that in an effort to reduce theft, the supermarket had added these cameras as another layer of security.

"We know the vast majority of our customers do the right thing at our self-serve check-outs. This is a new security measure we're trialling for those that don't."

Since then, the technology has been put in 685 of the supermarket's 1,000 stores in Australia, and the company plans to put it in every location over the next few years.

What are your thoughts, folks? Do you believe adding a second camera to the checkout process will improve security? Or is this an additional concern regarding the customers' privacy? Comment below and let us know what you think.

I don’t self serve, I’m not getting paid to be a check out chick and am keeping someone out of a job

As stated it is to try and stop those who do not do the right thing. It may feel like an invasion but if it is one way to stop stealing, which also drives up the prices, I am not going to complain. We are watched everywhere these days, and our phones are the worst culprits. So do the right thing and worry less.

Woolworths like every other store is required by law to say that you under camera surveillance. They can call it what they like, however big business is like a communist country, they conduct surveillance without your permission and sell whatever details they have on you to the highest bidder. If they are hiding cameras then that is no different than hiding cameras in toilets to look at people and means they cannot be trusted because they are doing it in secret. Dont go to the self service area clog up the counters and make a noise as I quite often do to get more people to serve you.

How many of you have got an orange rewards card form Woolworths and get receipt on it and then emails advertising products that you have already bought in the past the rewards card company and Woolworths already know what most people buy.
so a camera or two taking photos is no surprise as most Aisle's have a camera in as well over head

Sounds fair to me but to be really fair to Woolies staff is to use the staffed checkout so they keep their job. Be nice to them as well as they do not get paid a lot for standing up for long periods. Why do the check out staff job when they get paid to do it.

I well recall shopping with my Mum at the corner Grocer as a kid. The grocer knew when we shopped, what we bought, how often we went and how we paid ie cash or monthly account. Not a lot of difference to today. Except for the “Network”.

Always a big deal made of nothing. :rolleyes: Get rid of any technology you have if people are so neurotic about being followed. The main thing everyone must have would be a bank card. That knows all the time what you have spent and where you have spent it and if you use an ATM that's always got a camera filming you.

Reactions: Ricci

Have no problems with this, you pay for what you get, but has anyone else noticed how much Woolies have put up their prices, and not by a few cents, but dollars,

Have no problems with this, you pay for what you get, but has anyone noticed how much Woolies have jumped up their prices, not buy a few cents, but dollars in some cases. I’ve seen 2 (many more) Smitten cat litter was around $14.20 for a bag, jumped to now around $18.60. I now see it comes from Malaysia, but a rise of $4.40, seems a bit overboard to me, the other is Chesty Bonds Mens Singlets, nearly tripped over the trolley when I saw the yellow ticket, on sale for $18 something, normally sells for $24. I’ve bought in the past when on sale as low as $7.00. Think the public is being ripped off on this and many, many other products at Woolies. Red Rob

• Sad
I always use self serve! Because I had a stroke & have no balance I can’t stand in lines for to long listening how everyone’s weekend was or their holiday etc! So it’s self serve for me, straight in & straight out!

Reactions: Thecla and Ricci
Usual silly argument.:rolleyes: I much prefer the speed of doing it myself and it's up to Woolies how many staff they want to employ. They're a business not a charity!!!
I also refuse to self checkout as I don't get paid by the supermarket. I've never had the desire to be a checkout chick so why would I start in my old age?

That’s the beauty of self checkout… there if you in a hurry or just a few things etc! If you have time or you don’t like self serve, you can go thru slow checkout.. it’s all about choice!

Reactions: Ricci and terri
Sounds fair to me but to be really fair to Woolies staff is to use the staffed checkout so they keep their job. Be nice to them as well as they do not get paid a lot for standing up for long periods. Why do the check out staff job when they get paid to do it.
if I only have a ew items I always use the self checkout to speed it up a bit as the serviced ones are always clogged up with people wanting the check out chick to assist them.. Nothing wrong that. I worked at Woolies when the self serve checkouts came out and I don't recall anyone losing their job...they were allocated to doing something else till they were needed on the checkout....some of the stories I could tell......

I disagree with cameras surveilling for what & how we shop. It's a communist tactic they've rolled out everywhere in communist China, along with facial recognition cameras, we should all let retailers know we DO NOT give consent to being tracked & monitored, they tried it during the Plandemic to get the sheeple used to the idea. Wake up

May be they should look at the pricing on the tickets before they start checking the item we would scam not that I do self serve