New Scam Alert: Criminals Exploiting Aussies' Trust to Steal Millions of Dollars

In today's world, we are more connected than ever thanks to the internet and social media. While this has made our lives more convenient and efficient, it has created new opportunities for criminals to exploit unsuspecting victims.

At SDC, we are committed to informing our members about potential threats that could jeopardise their security.

That's why we want to draw attention to one such scam that has resurfaced and is once again posing a threat to people's safety.

The NSW Police issued an urgent warning about a scam that is targeting vulnerable Australians.

pexels-photo-5934213.jpeg

A scamming scheme is reported to be re-emerging, targeting unsuspecting Aussies and exploiting their trust in credible companies. Credit: Pexels/Gustavo Fring.

Remote-access scams, a type of criminal deception, typically begin with an innocent-seeming approach.

It starts with an individual who pretends to represent a trusted company or financial institution and contacts you, asking for remote access to your phone or computer.

NSW Police said: ‘They often use the excuse that the device is sending out an error message or has a virus that they need to “fix urgently”.’

However, this is a deceptive tactic, and scammers often use various software applications or programs to gain access to the victim's device.

Once they have control, they can potentially access sensitive financial and personal information and use it to transfer funds out of the victim's account or steal their private data.

This scam already took a staggering $21.7 million from Aussie victims in 2022 and $2.4 million so far this year.

Scammers have made text messages their primary mode of attack, with reports indicating that Australians received over 79,000 scam text messages in 2022 alone, leading to losses of over $28.5 million.

Fortunately, telecommunication companies have taken action by blocking over 90 million scam text messages since the new anti-SMS scam rules came into effect last year.

Despite this initiative, it was revealed that more Aussies are still falling victim to scams. According to Scamwatch data, in 2020 there were approximately 216,000 reported cases of scams, resulting in losses of over $175 million.

Shockingly, in the following year, the number of reported cases increased to around 239,000, and the losses more than tripled, totalling more than $568 million.

This highlights the need for increased vigilance and caution to protect oneself from these malicious activities.

Here are five tips to stay safe from this scam:

• Never give an unsolicited caller remote access to your computer or device.
• Don’t give your personal, credit card or online bank account details over the phone to people you don’t know and can’t identify.
• Check for any warning signs – like the person not being able to verify your account details, or asking you to enter personal information such as your password or bank details.
• Be careful to protect your personal information online, such as ensuring no one can access your computer or device.
• If in doubt, don’t click on suspicious links or attach unfamiliar files.

Key Takeaways
  • NSW Police issued an urgent warning about the re-emergence of remote-access scams.
  • Criminals pretend to be from financial institutions or trusted companies and request access to a person's phone or computer, claiming to 'fix' errors or viruses.
  • In 2022, Australians lost $21.7 million to remote-access scams, and $2.4 million has already been lost in 2023.
  • Aussies also lost more than $28.5 million to text message scams in 2022, with over 79,000 scam text messages reported.

Members, it’s crucial that we all stay aware of the emergence of this scam and don’t fall for it! By being mindful of the tips we’ve shared above, we can help protect ourselves and our loved ones.

We also recommend regularly checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website for fresh information on the latest scams and tips on how to protect yourself from them.

Stay safe out there, folks! Also, feel free to share this article with your friends and loved ones so they can get informed of this scam as well.

Sponsored
There needs to be an easier way to "forward/send" these fake e-mails to the relative legal sites so they can be investigated and or blocked. I tried once, it was like trying to get a loan, they wanted to know everything. Too hard.

Say "No" to cyber criminals. If someone calls or texts you asking for access to your phone or computer for any reason at all, say No. These people are not trying to help you. They are trying to steal from you. Help yourself by simply saying No. If there is a genuine problem, you will be contacted in a way that identifies both the instigator and yourself. All requests to click on a link for any reason must be refused. Any emails or texts claiming that you have won something, purchased something you did not purchase, are owed money by the government or that you owe money to the government, or that your "account" is going to be closed if you do not act, or that there is a "fault" on your line, are all scams. Say No to all of it and be safe.

Never say "Yes" to any caller you don't personally know; these days, with a little tweaking, any scammer can record your "Yes" and graft it into whatever voice program he likes, to use as 'evidence' that you have agreed to something (usually expensive!).

I don't just say "No.", either.
I usually finish with " *k off! " (Try working THAT into your voice program, Katut!).

My only regret is that these days, especially with mobile phones, it is not possible to make that most satisfying sound of slamming the handset back down onto the phone.

Electronic devices have now created a heat scanner which clips on to the back of the scammers' phones and it reads the heat marks left by your fingerprints on keypads. The heat marks even tell them in which order you punched in the relevant number! So always push random keys when opening a keypad door after you have opened it so that the heat sensors are then scrambled. The same thing on purchase machines. Put your fingers of the other hand over the other keys while punching in your pin number. This will produce extra heat markings on all buttons and the scanner who just has to hover his phone over the key pad of the machine will receive confused signals.

• Wow
Reactions: Kgee, RTS and Gaena
My dear elderly sister and bil nearly fell victims to exactly this type of scam. Both are technically challenged. Fortunately,the bil had the sense to call me before allowing access to the scammer. Now,in great big letters over their phone and computer is a huge sign saying,Microsoft,banks,paypal,Amazon and everywhere else NEVER make housecalls OR ask for access to your computer!!! Just say NO! Works a treat lol

Electronic devices have now created a heat scanner which clips on to the back of the scammers' phones and it reads the heat marks left by your fingerprints on keypads. The heat marks even tell them in which order you punched in the relevant number! So always push random keys when opening a keypad door after you have opened it so that the heat sensors are then scrambled. The same thing on purchase machines. Put your fingers of the other hand over the other keys while punching in your pin number. This will produce extra heat markings on all buttons and the scanner who just has to hover his phone over the key pad of the machine will receive confused signals.
I thought I'd heard about all the scams but this is a new one to me.

This one has been around for a long time. Someone about 6 years ago called our home phone saying they were from Microsoft and we had issues with our computer. (We have apple computers so he was wrong) So my husband said "Do all the computers have issues" and when the person on the other end said yes. My husband repeated "Do all the computers have issues" and the person on the other end of the phone said "yes all of the computers are having issues" My husband said to the caller "So you're telling me that the Capalaba Police Station Computers are having issues" All he heard after that was a dead phone line. We haven't had another call like that since

There needs to be an easier way to "forward/send" these fake e-mails to the relative legal sites so they can be investigated and or blocked. I tried once, it was like trying to get a loan, they wanted to know everything. Too hard.
Hi Bill

Hope this helps you. I feel like I am their number one scam reporter. I seem to get all kinds on my phone and my computer sometimes up to 10 or more a day. Quite annoying really but the powers that be are trying to identify and stamp out the scammers

I report anything that could be a scam to [email protected]

This is the reply email that gets generated

Thank you for your report
Reports from members of the public help us identify if someone is breaking the spam laws.

However, please note that spam reports are not complaints. A report is a quick way to give us information about spam activity so we can identify spam trends and potential compliance issues. If you would like to make a complaint, you can do so at www.acma.gov.au/stop-getting-spam. You can also report scams at www.scamwatch.gov.au.

Please note that reporting spam will not unsubscribe you from future contact.

We will only contact you if we need more information.

Other information
Our privacy policy sets out how we collect, manage and protect personal information. It is available here: www.acma.gov.au/privacy-policy

Please do not reply to this email, as this mailbox is for outgoing messages only and it is not monitored.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention.

The Spam Compliance team

At 82 l was worried about scams using my credit card, so l went to the post office, bought a MasterCard which l can put the required amount on it and give the information thus not having my primary credit card details known. It can be used time and time again. Hope that helps.

At 82 l was worried about scams using my credit card, so l went to the post office, bought a MasterCard which l can put the required amount on it and give the information thus not having my primary credit card details known. It can be used time and time again. Hope that helps.
I don't use a credit card but have had an Australia Post debit card for years. Its very handy.

I was stoked when I finally got the sms message about the phone broken, from my daughter and needs money for a bill. My simple message back was f**k off !!!!!

Reactions: Jan A
I was stoked when I finally got the sms message about the phone broken, from my daughter and needs money for a bill. My simple message back was f**k off !!!!!
Unfortunately they would not have got the message, they just bounce, they only want the people who go to the link.