S

Sean Camara

New Scam Alert: Couple's 'son' tricks them into giving him $4000 - then their REAL son calls!

Scams are on the rise, and it's becoming more and more difficult to tell what's real and what's not.

A Melbourne couple has narrowly avoided getting scammed out of thousands of dollars after a fraudster convinced them that their son needed financial help to pay the bills.

Sam Peluso and his wife recalled the incident when they almost transferred over $4,000 to a scammer who posed as their son, saying that the details in the fraudster's story perfectly matched their son's schtick.

Mrs Peluso shared that she was home alone last month when she received a phone call from her 'son' who told her that he had a new phone number, claiming that he had to change his phone after he dropped his previous device down the toilet.

Knowing her son, the mum said that she did not give it much thought because her son had previously dropped a phone down the drain.

She said: 'The fact that he dropped his phone in the toilet sort of convinced us that it might have been him. That’s his sort of style.'

The 'son' then requested $4095 from the couple to assist him with some of his bills.

'(My wife) got back to him and asked him, "well how do we pay this money and where do we pay to?"' Sam recalled.

VCh5FquWAM32ON9Zm3LLooIJpZ6ATAxejroIFxeLG12TSyL3GZ5VR9B_t3nTLnzV6BUkNhMs86PS28B6CCPw-EerB0D6pPZ4zYFfoHHL2hQweTvm13jS6VGNnUybVZvhQj0d4LogYq3AQS_H-WCG3A

The new ‘mum-and-dad’ scam is currently on the rise, victimising unsuspecting Australians across the country. Credit: Shutterstock/Speedkingz.

The person on the other line was said to provide Mrs Peluso with an account number and a Bankwest BSB.

Fortunately, the mum contacted Sam before sending any money to their 'son'.

Sam told his wife to not transfer any funds until he got home.

The couple also claimed that they tried to contact their real son for confirmation, but were unsuccessful.

'We thought it was our son. We weren’t too sure,' Sam said.’

It was at this point that the couple became more suspicious of the caller, leading to them asking the person behind the line to provide further details such as the name on the bank account they sent.

'I said (to my wife) tell this guy that the bank wants bank details and the name of the account,' Sam said.

'He came back with the bank name and a girl’s name - Michelle.'

The Pelusos also noticed that the scammer became aggressive when they confronted them, claiming that they felt harassed as the scammer forced them to make the transfer.

The couple heard from their son, who advised them to submit the messages to authorities, while they continued to communicate with the fraudster via SMS.

'We were thinking maybe it’s somebody that knows him because what surprised me is that the text came through from a mobile number,' Sam admitted.

'Usually, it’s either a private number or something you can’t trace too easily.'

'My wife almost believed it.'

Credit: Twitter/@Scamwatch_gov

The ‘mum and dad scam,’ which the Pelusos nearly fell for, is getting more and more common.

We previously reported a similar case where a fraudster tricked an unsuspecting father into thinking that they were his son so he could 'help out' with the payment of some 'unsettled bills'.

According to Scamwatch, parents should be wary of messages with this template: 'Hi mum, my other phone crashed. But this is my temporary phone. You can save this one. Message me if you’ve seen this.'

Typically, scammers would claim that they do not have access to their banking accounts due to the damaged phone so they would be needing some financial support from their parents (the victims) so they can pay for their debts.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) said that it has received over 460 reports related to the scheme, with a third of the reported cases claiming that the victims have lost over $2 million.

In case you receive a text that bears a similar message to the template provided above, the ACCC advises to 'message the original number or social media profile of the contact person to confirm that they have lost their phone or changed profile'.

'If you’re unable to make contact with their original phone number or profile, verify that new communications of this sort are legitimate via a second factor, such as email if a text message comes through,' an ACCC spokesperson recommended.

With so many people looking to take advantage of others, it's important to be aware of the different types of scams out there and how to avoid them. We recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website to stay on top of these schemes so you can properly equip yourself with knowledge on how you can avoid falling victim to them.

Stay safe out there, folks!

Luckily my son and I talk regularly and often talk money so I have a very good idea of his financial state. They would have to come up with a much better story to pull me in and if in doubt I would check with his partner. Talk to your kids, you don't need to know chapter and verse of their situation but keeping the conversation going is essential. Tell them of your fear of scams and explain you just need peace of mind.:)

This only happened to me on Monday through what's app
Screenshot_20220726-053152_WhatsApp.jpgmy daughter always loses her phone ,at first we thought it was her then I said to my daughters it wouldn't be her as she always says ' hey mum it's Mel.
I asked which one of my kids are you . They replied your eldest and favourite I replied oh Greg
I don't have a child Greg

We played with them
I messaged ' help I fell down the stairs'
Then I never replied and 12 hours later replied who are you. You just caused the death of my mother. She fell while reading your messages.
I ended it with we will find you . This is murder.

They rip people of so I don't feel bad doing this to themScreenshot_20220726-053152_WhatsApp.jpg

Then I reported them to what's app

Scams are on the rise, and it's becoming more and more difficult to tell what's real and what's not.

A Melbourne couple has narrowly avoided getting scammed out of thousands of dollars after a fraudster convinced them that their son needed financial help to pay the bills.

Sam Peluso and his wife recalled the incident when they almost transferred over $4,000 to a scammer who posed as their son, saying that the details in the fraudster's story perfectly matched their son's schtick.

Mrs Peluso shared that she was home alone last month when she received a phone call from her 'son' who told her that he had a new phone number, claiming that he had to change his phone after he dropped his previous device down the toilet.

Knowing her son, the mum said that she did not give it much thought because her son had previously dropped a phone down the drain.

She said: 'The fact that he dropped his phone in the toilet sort of convinced us that it might have been him. That’s his sort of style.'

The 'son' then requested $4095 from the couple to assist him with some of his bills.

'(My wife) got back to him and asked him, "well how do we pay this money and where do we pay to?"' Sam recalled.

VCh5FquWAM32ON9Zm3LLooIJpZ6ATAxejroIFxeLG12TSyL3GZ5VR9B_t3nTLnzV6BUkNhMs86PS28B6CCPw-EerB0D6pPZ4zYFfoHHL2hQweTvm13jS6VGNnUybVZvhQj0d4LogYq3AQS_H-WCG3A

The new ‘mum-and-dad’ scam is currently on the rise, victimising unsuspecting Australians across the country. Credit: Shutterstock/Speedkingz.

The person on the other line was said to provide Mrs Peluso with an account number and a Bankwest BSB.

The couple also claimed that they tried to contact their real son for confirmation, but were unsuccessful.

It was at this point that the couple became more suspicious of the caller, leading to them asking the person behind the line to provide further details such as the name on the bank account they sent.

'I said (to my wife) tell this guy that the bank wants bank details and the name of the account,' Sam said.

The Pelusos also noticed that the scammer became aggressive when they confronted them, claiming that they felt harassed as the scammer forced them to make the transfer.

The couple heard from their son, who advised them to submit the messages to authorities, while they continued to communicate with the fraudster via SMS.

'We were thinking maybe it’s somebody that knows him because what surprised me is that the text came through from a mobile number,' Sam admitted.

'Usually, it’s either a private number or something you can’t trace too easily.'

The ‘mum and dad scam,’ which the Pelusos nearly fell for, is getting more and more common.

We previously reported a similar case where a fraudster tricked an unsuspecting father into thinking that they were his son so he could 'help out' with the payment of some 'unsettled bills'.

According to Scamwatch, parents should be wary of messages with this template: 'Hi mum, my other phone crashed. But this is my temporary phone. You can save this one. Message me if you’ve seen this.'

Typically, scammers would claim that they do not have access to their banking accounts due to the damaged phone so they would be needing some financial support from their parents (the victims) so they can pay for their debts.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) said that it has received over 460 reports related to the scheme, with a third of the reported cases claiming that the victims have lost over $2 million.

In case you receive a text that bears a similar message to the template provided above, the ACCC advises to 'message the original number or social media profile of the contact person to confirm that they have lost their phone or changed profile'.

'If you’re unable to make contact with their original phone number or profile, verify that new communications of this sort are legitimate via a second factor, such as email if a text message comes through,' an ACCC spokesperson recommended.

With so many people looking to take advantage of others, it's important to be aware of the different types of scams out there and how to avoid them. We recommend checking out the Scam Watch section of the SDC website to stay on top of these schemes so you can properly equip yourself with knowledge on how you can avoid falling victim to them.

I got caught by this 2 weeks ago! Nearly lost $8,000. I’m so embarrassed that I was taken in but because of a particular set of circumstances in our family dynamic, it was made easy for the scammers!
Please be careful they even know your children’s names! Thank goodness ANZ was on the ball and shut down my account- which although very inconvenient was way better than losing the money. It’s a frightening world out there!

• Sad
Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
The way I read the above scam is that it was due to the damaged phone that the son could not access his finances, not because he didn't have the money to pay his bills.
Make contact with the family member however you can to confirm or negate their dilemma before "helping" them out.

Reactions: terri and Ricci
Very surprising that a scammer would actually call, and even more surprising that the parents didn't recognise that it wasn't their son's voice. Usually these scams are done via text message.

Reactions: Ricci

Bloody scum off the earth 🌎 these parasites 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I got this message yesterday and seriously thought it was my son
But I said call me I don’t message bank details and they kept asking me for my card number even with a x on the end
Scammers

• Angry
I got this message yesterday and seriously thought it was my son
But I said call me I don’t message bank details and they kept asking me for my card number even with a x on the end
Scammers
I received the same message a few weeks ago on what's app and when I asked which child they said your favourite eldest child . I then said oh its you jeff, they replied of course mum. I don't have a son named Jeff and my eldest is a girl

Report it then block them

• Angry