New Energy Relief Plan: 9,000+ Households Due For Extra Power Credit!

All aboard the energy train, mates! We have some electrifying news regarding the latest energy relief plan for our Western Australian neighbours.

If you could use a bit of relief when it comes to your power bill, this just might make your day.

Thanks to the 'Community Energy' program by the Western Australian Government, Perth's rooftop solar systems' overflow of power will be re-routed to assist struggling WA households.

And here's the kicker—this initiative could save some households up to $500 a year. Now, that's what we call a light at the end of the power line!

compressed-photo-1473341304170-971dccb5ac1e.jpeg
Certain households in Western Australia will receive complimentary electricity. Image by matthewhenry from unsplash

On a grander scale, half of the government's $400 electricity bill relief payment, promised in the state budget to address the escalating cost of living, was handed in on Monday, July 10th, with the remainder scheduled for distribution at the end of the year.

During the announcement of this program, Premier Roger Cook introduced the added aid for specific households. Through this new plan, he shared that struggling families will now get free power between 9am–3pm .

'These households, our highest hardship customers, will receive free power up to the value of 10 electricity credits.' stated Mr Cook.

He added, ‘The measure of any government is the degree to which they stand by those who are doing it tough.'

According to the state government's estimation, this program will save qualified households anywhere between $200 to $500 annually—which breaks down to about 55 cents to $1.37 per day.

Louise Giolitto, the CEO of the WA Council of Social Service, also hailed this initiative.

'We know that not all households can access and benefit from technologies like solar panels, so this kind of product helps address that inequity' she expressed.

'When coupled with the electricity credit announced in the May budget, Community Energy will generate a significant positive influence,' she added.

Where is all this excess electricity coming from? Well, Energy Minister Bill Johnston said that this power comes from excess energy from rooftop solar systems.

compressed-photo-1610028290816-5d937a395a49.jpeg
According to Bill Johnston, the credit aims to benefit the most economically disadvantaged consumers. Image by metelevan from unsplash

'At the moment, Synergy purchases all that electricity and sells it into the wholesale market, frequently at a negative price. So, by being able to give it to hardship customers, everyone's benefiting,' he said. Over 9,000 households, currently categorised as in 'hardship', are anticipated to receive this emphatic support.

He further added, 'We're targeting it at just the most disadvantaged.'

Mr Johnston encouraged any Synergy customers undergoing difficulties to apply and join the case management program.

The program offers the assistance of a dedicated Synergy Case Manager, flexible payment terms, and potential incentives upon achieving your payment objectives.

‘If you have other problems that are leading you into hardship, please get in touch with Synergy,' he urged.

However, not everyone is radiating optimism. Opposition Energy Spokesperson Steve Thomas believes that these energy bill relief packages hardly scratch the surface, given WA's tremendous budget surpluses.

He shared, ‘They fall well short of the level of support the government can afford to provide struggling Western Australian households. This is less than a cup of coffee a day saving for desperate people, and there is scope for greater compassion.’

Key Takeaways

• The WA government has announced a new 'Community Energy' program providing free power to households facing hardship.
  • Power for the program will be sourced from excess energy from Perth's rooftop solar systems.
  • Half of the government's $400 electricity bill relief payment being distributed on Monday, July 10.
  • The initiative is estimated to save eligible households between $200 to $500 a year.
  • Opposition Energy Spokesperson Steve Thomas claims the energy bill relief packages still do not provide enough support for struggling Western Australian households.
Let's hope more plans seep in across all states. And remember, every little bit—or shall we say, every little volt—certainly helps.

What are your thoughts on the Community Energy program? Do you believe initiatives like these effectively address the rising cost of living and provide relief to struggling households? Let us know below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
All aboard the energy train, mates! We have some electrifying news regarding the latest energy relief plan for our Western Australian neighbours.

If you could use a bit of relief when it comes to your power bill, this just might make your day.

Thanks to the 'Community Energy' program by the Western Australian Government, Perth's rooftop solar systems' overflow of power will be re-routed to assist struggling WA households.

And here's the kicker—this initiative could save some households up to $500 a year. Now, that's what we call a light at the end of the power line!

View attachment 24820
Certain households in Western Australia will receive complimentary electricity. Image by matthewhenry from unsplash

On a grander scale, half of the government's $400 electricity bill relief payment, promised in the state budget to address the escalating cost of living, was handed in on Monday, July 10th, with the remainder scheduled for distribution at the end of the year.

During the announcement of this program, Premier Roger Cook introduced the added aid for specific households. Through this new plan, he shared that struggling families will now get free power between 9am–3pm .

'These households, our highest hardship customers, will receive free power up to the value of 10 electricity credits.' stated Mr Cook.

He added, ‘The measure of any government is the degree to which they stand by those who are doing it tough.'

According to the state government's estimation, this program will save qualified households anywhere between $200 to $500 annually—which breaks down to about 55 cents to $1.37 per day.

Louise Giolitto, the CEO of the WA Council of Social Service, also hailed this initiative.

'We know that not all households can access and benefit from technologies like solar panels, so this kind of product helps address that inequity' she expressed.

'When coupled with the electricity credit announced in the May budget, Community Energy will generate a significant positive influence,' she added.

Where is all this excess electricity coming from? Well, Energy Minister Bill Johnston said that this power comes from excess energy from rooftop solar systems.

View attachment 24821
According to Bill Johnston, the credit aims to benefit the most economically disadvantaged consumers. Image by metelevan from unsplash

'At the moment, Synergy purchases all that electricity and sells it into the wholesale market, frequently at a negative price. So, by being able to give it to hardship customers, everyone's benefiting,' he said. Over 9,000 households, currently categorised as in 'hardship', are anticipated to receive this emphatic support.

He further added, 'We're targeting it at just the most disadvantaged.'

Mr Johnston encouraged any Synergy customers undergoing difficulties to apply and join the case management program.

The program offers the assistance of a dedicated Synergy Case Manager, flexible payment terms, and potential incentives upon achieving your payment objectives.

‘If you have other problems that are leading you into hardship, please get in touch with Synergy,' he urged.

However, not everyone is radiating optimism. Opposition Energy Spokesperson Steve Thomas believes that these energy bill relief packages hardly scratch the surface, given WA's tremendous budget surpluses.

He shared, ‘They fall well short of the level of support the government can afford to provide struggling Western Australian households. This is less than a cup of coffee a day saving for desperate people, and there is scope for greater compassion.’

Key Takeaways

• The WA government has announced a new 'Community Energy' program providing free power to households facing hardship.
  • Power for the program will be sourced from excess energy from Perth's rooftop solar systems.
  • Half of the government's $400 electricity bill relief payment being distributed on Monday, July 10.
  • The initiative is estimated to save eligible households between $200 to $500 a year.
  • Opposition Energy Spokesperson Steve Thomas claims the energy bill relief packages still do not provide enough support for struggling Western Australian households.
Let's hope more plans seep in across all states. And remember, every little bit—or shall we say, every little volt—certainly helps.

What are your thoughts on the Community Energy program? Do you believe initiatives like these effectively address the rising cost of living and provide relief to struggling households? Let us know below!
No they don't why don't they regulate it like before only every 5 years and put a limit on how much they can increase....
We are paying too much... so read your bill see how much you have been charged an enormous fee...look at your bill....most households have smart meters there should be no charge....when governments allowed the electricity companies to increase charges as they see fit ....electricity charges went out control..call on government to regulate the increases.

They charge us readi g meter also for sending paper bill out, also in klw we use.

Please stop this madness...do not give them cart blanch to increase the tariff at will.

We should be given a discount for using their service for choosing to use their company as many other electricity companies around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I live in country Victoria , I put up a 2.9KW system back in 2010 back then the meter would turn backwards.
In 2013 I added more panels given me a 5.8KW system, as I have had solar since 2010 the up side is I am on premium price for feed in to the grid.
I very rarely pay for power sometimes in mid winter I received a small account but that is very rare.
I consider it one of the best things I have ever done in my life, I live alone the heat pump runs from the time I get up until I go to bed.
But as I said I am getting premium price for feed into the grid.
The price that they are paying now for feed in is very poor and very wrong.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I'm in NSW for those on pensions, low income or concession cards from the 1st July were given a $500 credit on their account.
I thought this was a one off credit but what I found out is it will be given as a credit over 4 bills so $125 of each bill.
The minimum feed-in tariff rate (FIT) set by the Essential Services Commission is -4.9 cents per kWh, Lumo will be decreasing the rebate. Current Rates Up to 31 July 2023 Tariff Export 1 -6.200 c/kWh to New Rates from 1 August 2023 Tariiff Export 1 -5.500c/kWh. So I think anybody considering Solar Panels take a good long look at the costs involved in setting it up as to what benefits you save if any due to age. Yoo had a further question about maintenace I've had panel for over 15 years without any except for heavy rain?

Last edited:
I have had mine for 4 years and haven't had to do any maintenance. They do say that the panels need a wash down every year but hey, I reckon a good rain downpour does a similar job for free! If you have a solar water system then I do know that there is a sacrificial anode in the tank that has to be replaced every year or two but I have no idea of the cost. Hope this helps.
I heard every 3-5 months cleaning to remove any grime. Performance is reduced by 25% or more,

Reactions: Ricci