New cause of headaches could bring relief to millions

Finding a lasting solution for headaches and migraines, especially chronic ones, has long been a battle for many.

It's no secret that unexplained headaches and migraine episodes can be extremely painful and quite debilitating, affecting one's day-to-day activities and quality of life.

However, a groundbreaking discovery by German researchers could bring hope to millions of headache sufferers worldwide.

The study was presented at the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) annual meeting in Chicago.

The study suggested that common headaches could be caused by inflammation in the neck. This revelation could pave the way for more targeted treatments, potentially reducing the need for prescription headache medication.

nik-shuliahin-BuNWp1bL0nc-unsplash.jpg
Researchers believed that this study could bring new treatments for tension headaches. Credit: Unsplash

Tension headaches are a common ailment that has puzzled medical professionals for years. The cause of these headaches has been attributed to various factors, including stress, genetics, and environmental influences.

However, a definitive cause has remained elusive until now.

The study, led by Dr Nico Sollmann, a Radiology Resident at the Technical University of Munich in Germany, involved 50 adults aged between 20 and 31.

'Our imaging approach provides the first objective evidence for the very frequent involvement of the neck muscles in primary headaches, such as neck pain in migraine or tension-type headache, using the ability to quantify subtle inflammation within muscles,' Dr Sollmann said.

The participants, most of whom were women, were divided into three groups: 16 with tension headaches, 12 with tension headaches and migraines, and 22 who were put in a healthy control group.

The researchers used MRI scans to examine the participants' trapezius muscles, which stretch over the back of the neck and shoulders and up the neck.

They discovered that patients with tension headaches had higher levels of T2 signals in these muscles. These signals fire when certain muscles are activated, such as through inflammation.

Higher levels were observed when patients experienced headaches and neck pain, indicating that the neck muscles were activated.

‘The quantified inflammatory changes of neck muscles significantly correlate with the number of days lived with headache and the presence of subjectively perceived neck pain,’ Dr Sollmann noted.

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 1.44.22 PM.png
The location of the trapezius muscle in our body. Credit: Wikipedia

Tension headaches occur when the scalp and neck contract and tense up. People may feel mild to moderate pain, often described as a band tightening around the head.

The pain may also be dull or aching and can result in having a tender neck, scalp, and shoulders.

According to Migraine and Headache Australia, up to 7 million Australians suffer from tension headaches—36 per cent for men and 42 per cent for women.

Sixty per cent of those suffering from tension headaches experience reductions in social activities and work capacity.

Migraines, another common headache, cause severe, throbbing pain or pulsing, usually on one side of the head. These can last for hours or even days.

Migraine and Headache Australia also reported that around 4.9 million Australians experience migraine and its prevalence increases from 12 years old to 40 years old and declines thereafter in both men and women.

Some research suggested that decreased estrogen, which usually happens when a woman has her period, could be one cause.

While symptoms vary, migraines are usually accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to sound and light.

The findings of this study could have significant implications for the future of headache treatment. If further research confirms the link between neck inflammation and tension headaches, it could lead to the development of new, more effective treatments.

'Our findings support the role of neck muscles in the pathophysiology of primary headaches,' Dr Sollmann said.

'Therefore, treatments that target the neck muscles could lead to a simultaneous relief of neck pain, as well as headache.'

Many have been sharing their tips and tricks on how to get rid of headaches. In a previous story, a US board-certified doctor shared a life-saving trick to eliminate headaches without side effects.

He revealed that doing this trick can effectively dissipate pain and pressure that builds in your head. Read more about the trick here.
Key Takeaways
  • Researchers have found that common headaches may be caused by inflammation in the neck.
  • Individuals suffering from tension headaches showed higher levels of T2 signals in the trapezius muscles, a sign of inflammation, on days they experienced headaches and neck pain.
  • This discovery suggested that new treatments could be developed, targeted at the neck, potentially replacing current medication.
  • The study was conducted by researchers in Germany, who used MRI scans on 50 adult participants to identify the source of pain.
What are your thoughts on this new discovery? Have you experienced tension headaches or migraines? Share them with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I used to suffer major migraines from teen years right through to my 40s. They were triggered by stress, and were awful. Then I realised all I needed to do was remove the trigger from my life. So I changed jobs, downsized the home, and have not had a migraine since.
My mum had the neck trigger. The dark room and a up-chuck were the only things that could calm them. Then she went through Menopause and the headaches stopped.
Everyone is different. Wish that wasn't the case.

Finding a lasting solution for headaches and migraines, especially chronic ones, has long been a battle for many.

It's no secret that unexplained headaches and migraine episodes can be extremely painful and quite debilitating, affecting one's day-to-day activities and quality of life.

However, a groundbreaking discovery by German researchers could bring hope to millions of headache sufferers worldwide.

The study was presented at the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) annual meeting in Chicago.

The study suggested that common headaches could be caused by inflammation in the neck. This revelation could pave the way for more targeted treatments, potentially reducing the need for prescription headache medication.

View attachment 36331
Researchers believed that this study could bring new treatments for tension headaches. Credit: Unsplash

Tension headaches are a common ailment that has puzzled medical professionals for years. The cause of these headaches has been attributed to various factors, including stress, genetics, and environmental influences.

However, a definitive cause has remained elusive until now.

The study, led by Dr Nico Sollmann, a Radiology Resident at the Technical University of Munich in Germany, involved 50 adults aged between 20 and 31.

'Our imaging approach provides the first objective evidence for the very frequent involvement of the neck muscles in primary headaches, such as neck pain in migraine or tension-type headache, using the ability to quantify subtle inflammation within muscles,' Dr Sollmann said.

The participants, most of whom were women, were divided into three groups: 16 with tension headaches, 12 with tension headaches and migraines, and 22 who were put in a healthy control group.

The researchers used MRI scans to examine the participants' trapezius muscles, which stretch over the back of the neck and shoulders and up the neck.

They discovered that patients with tension headaches had higher levels of T2 signals in these muscles. These signals fire when certain muscles are activated, such as through inflammation.

Higher levels were observed when patients experienced headaches and neck pain, indicating that the neck muscles were activated.

‘The quantified inflammatory changes of neck muscles significantly correlate with the number of days lived with headache and the presence of subjectively perceived neck pain,’ Dr Sollmann noted.

View attachment 36332
The location of the trapezius muscle in our body. Credit: Wikipedia

Tension headaches occur when the scalp and neck contract and tense up. People may feel mild to moderate pain, often described as a band tightening around the head.

The pain may also be dull or aching and can result in having a tender neck, scalp, and shoulders.

According to Migraine and Headache Australia, up to 7 million Australians suffer from tension headaches—36 per cent for men and 42 per cent for women.

Sixty per cent of those suffering from tension headaches experience reductions in social activities and work capacity.

Migraines, another common headache, cause severe, throbbing pain or pulsing, usually on one side of the head. These can last for hours or even days.

Migraine and Headache Australia also reported that around 4.9 million Australians experience migraine and its prevalence increases from 12 years old to 40 years old and declines thereafter in both men and women.

Some research suggested that decreased estrogen, which usually happens when a woman has her period, could be one cause.

While symptoms vary, migraines are usually accompanied by nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to sound and light.

The findings of this study could have significant implications for the future of headache treatment. If further research confirms the link between neck inflammation and tension headaches, it could lead to the development of new, more effective treatments.

'Our findings support the role of neck muscles in the pathophysiology of primary headaches,' Dr Sollmann said.

'Therefore, treatments that target the neck muscles could lead to a simultaneous relief of neck pain, as well as headache.'

Many have been sharing their tips and tricks on how to get rid of headaches. In a previous story, a US board-certified doctor shared a life-saving trick to eliminate headaches without side effects.

He revealed that doing this trick can effectively dissipate pain and pressure that builds in your head. Read more about the trick here.
Key Takeaways

• Researchers have found that common headaches may be caused by inflammation in the neck.
  • Individuals suffering from tension headaches showed higher levels of T2 signals in the trapezius muscles, a sign of inflammation, on days they experienced headaches and neck pain.
  • This discovery suggested that new treatments could be developed, targeted at the neck, potentially replacing current medication.
  • The study was conducted by researchers in Germany, who used MRI scans on 50 adult participants to identify the source of pain.
What are your thoughts on this new discovery? Have you experienced tension headaches or migraines? Share them with us in the comments below.

I have had Migraine since I was 16. Back then my mum would call a doctor in the middle of the night. To do this she either went next door and used their phone or walked around the corner to an old public phone. My parents did not have a home phone until 1983.

The doctor would arrive give me an injection and I would sleep for over 24 hours. But, when I awoke the migraine was gone.

Today's doctors don't do this. They would rather you sit in their surgery in agony. Then give you some Panadol and tell you to drink more water. Pathetic. I drink 3 litres of H2O a day. I take medication that reduces saliva and gives a dry mouth and increases urination.

The severity of my migraines changed a little when I had a total hysterectomy at age 46 but now they are back with a vengeance.

I have tried a multiple of medications. Without success. Although Wormwood patches on the back of the neck in conjunction with analgesic medication was useful if caught early.

In January 2024, I will be trialling the new Vyepti medication. Only offered at one hospital in South Australia at present and via intravenous solution.

I am 65. I welcome trying anything that takes away the constant pain. After a few days it wears you down and you get depressed.

Unfortunately most doctors, or the ones I have encountered are not adequately informed on how to diagnose and treat migraines. Their ignorance costs their patients valuable time. Time that could be spent being more productive. With enjoying more family time. Or not being absent from work or school as often. It's time they lifted their game.

My wish is that this new Vyepti will work and end this constant battle.

I have had Migraine since I was 16. Back then my mum would call a doctor in the middle of the night. To do this she either went next door and used their phone or walked around the corner to an old public phone. My parents did not have a home phone until 1983.

The doctor would arrive give me an injection and I would sleep for over 24 hours. But, when I awoke the migraine was gone.

Today's doctors don't do this. They would rather you sit in their surgery in agony. Then give you some Panadol and tell you to drink more water. Pathetic. I drink 3 litres of H2O a day. I take medication that reduces saliva and gives a dry mouth and increases urination.

The severity of my migraines changed a little when I had a total hysterectomy at age 46 but now they are back with a vengeance.

I have tried a multiple of medications. Without success. Although Wormwood patches on the back of the neck in conjunction with analgesic medication was useful if caught early.

In January 2024, I will be trialling the new Vyepti medication. Only offered at one hospital in South Australia at present and via intravenous solution.

I am 65. I welcome trying anything that takes away the constant pain. After a few days it wears you down and you get depressed.

Unfortunately most doctors, or the ones I have encountered are not adequately informed on how to diagnose and treat migraines. Their ignorance costs their patients valuable time. Time that could be spent being more productive. With enjoying more family time. Or not being absent from work or school as often. It's time they lifted their game.

Oh, you poor thing.
I can relate to your misery. It seems like you are being punished for deeds done in a previous life.
I hope the new drug works for you and you can have some calm in your world.
Chin up.

Oh, you poor thing.
I can relate to your misery. It seems like you are being punished for deeds done in a previous life.
I hope the new drug works for you and you can have some calm in your world.
Chin up.
Thank you. Have a great Christmas with your loved ones. 🙏🏽🙏🏽🤗🤗

Reactions: PattiB and Atti

Unfortunately I can relate to this in all ways! But my doctor just tells me to take panadole & if I am worried about my stomach getting eaten out take maxolon with them, which I am given a script for! I go and get adjustments on my spine from physiotherapy every time it gets too much to bear as I have 2 broken bones in my lower spine, but as you would know that only lasts a couple of days. So with the 😩 and all the rest a 75 year old has,

Reactions: PattiB
I suffered from severe migraines, starting when I was about 7 and continued on until going through menopause. Since then I suffer very few headaches but when they do occur are more severe. Anyone who still suffers has my sympathy. I often found that medications I was prescribed would have side effects & I often wondered what was worse, the headaches or medication.