Network outages hit six major banks disrupting online services

In an age where digital banking has become the norm, the reliability of these services is paramount.

However, the digital world is not without its hiccups, as was made evident last Thursday when customers of at least six Australian financial institutions were left in the lurch due to network outages that affected payments, transfers, and account access.

The outages affected payments, transfers, and even access to accounts, leaving many customers in a lurch.

The banks affected by this unexpected glitch included Ubank, Bank Australia, Defence Bank, Beyond Bank, People's Choice, and P&N Bank.

SDC 1.png
Several online banking services were disrupted by network outages on Thursday. Image source: tonodiaz on Freepik.

Customers began reporting issues early Thursday morning, with many unable to access their banking apps.

By late afternoon, all six banks had posted notices on their websites acknowledging the issue. However, by mid-evening, some of these notices had been removed.

A spokesperson from Ubank confirmed that their systems were being restored, and customers could now use their apps and online banking, including Osko payments, as of 9 pm AEDT.

'Our teams are continuing to monitor this closely. As our app and online banking platforms come back up online, we'd like to thank our customers for their patience throughout the day and apologise again for the inconvenience caused,' the spokesperson explained.

Osko, a payment service from Bpay, allows banking customers to make automatic transfers to other accounts. This service was among those affected by the outage.

Bank Australia also issued an apology and urged its customers to exercise caution when making payments.

'As we continue to investigate issues with our app and internet banking performance, some customers may see successful payments highlighted as failed, and payments take longer to arrive at their destination,' read the note on their website, which has since been removed.

'We ask customers to look closely at their accounts prior to resubmitting payment to avoid duplicates.'

NAB confirmed they had not experienced any issues, and none of the other banks had any announcements on their websites informing customers of banking issues.

In similar news, thousands of Vodafone customers across Australia were left without mobile phone service when the network crashed recently.

A spokesperson from Vodafone confirmed the outage, saying, 'We can confirm a brief technical issue this afternoon caused intermittent disruption to some mobile services including calls and data.'

'Our technical teams have resolved the issue, and services are returning to normal.'

'We apologise to our customers for the inconvenience and thank them for their patience.'

Social media was flooded with complaints from disgruntled users who were caught in highly inconvenient situations due to the network crash.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • At least six Australian financial institutions experienced issues with payments and banking services.
  • Customers reported difficulties in accessing their banking apps, with some banks alerting customers of the issues on their websites.
  • Ubank stated that their systems were being restored and operations were returning to normal, acknowledging the inconvenience caused to customers.
  • Banks urged customers to check their accounts carefully to avoid duplicating payments and to be patient as the issues were investigated and resolved.
Have you been affected by the recent network outages? Feel free to share your experiences below!

Reactions: paulamc52
Sponsored
Exactly what will happen when, not if, we become the cashless society the banks and government are pushing us towards.
Major power outage and businesses will sop as credit card facilities and online purchase won’t be available.Watch these business cry foul!
Wake up people and put a stop to this control and stupidity!

Goodness me! Fancy that! The modern hi-tech internet-connected world screws up again. Back in the day, when the Royal Mail delivered 2 deliveries per day the day after their posting and letters got sorted on inter-city trains and dropped off where needed even at 70mph, and copper-wire telephones didn't rely on complex fibre-optic cables and other fancy gadgets and we paid with bank cheques as long as the butcher, baker and ironmonger knew us and of course public transport was efficient and timely and we didn't commute to work in grid-lock........life was a hell of sight easier if not so immediate on Facebook. Which gave one time to think and write out one's order for the butcher and the greengrocer to arrange delivery during their delivery rounds and we had carbon paper in our order-books so as to have an adequate record of what we had ordered. And of course the NHS doctor also did his rounds of his patients and......

Yeah, I know, those were the slow old "dinosaur days". How odd that the dinosaurs were one of the Earth's most successful groups of animals occupying every ecological niche available until that meteorite hit the Yucatan Peninsula and wiped out just about every living thing on land and in the sea.

Major banks? They're small banks.
I'm with one of the proper major banks. If something went wrong like this then I'll wait until its rectified.
It's not as if everyone needs their bank account every minute of every day anyway.

I was more concerned that Facebook went down the other day.;)

Reactions: Tamaya
Goodness me! Fancy that! The modern hi-tech internet-connected world screws up again. Back in the day, when the Royal Mail delivered 2 deliveries per day the day after their posting and letters got sorted on inter-city trains and dropped off where needed even at 70mph, and copper-wire telephones didn't rely on complex fibre-optic cables and other fancy gadgets and we paid with bank cheques as long as the butcher, baker and ironmonger knew us and of course public transport was efficient and timely and we didn't commute to work in grid-lock........life was a hell of sight easier if not so immediate on Facebook. Which gave one time to think and write out one's order for the butcher and the greengrocer to arrange delivery during their delivery rounds and we had carbon paper in our order-books so as to have an adequate record of what we had ordered. And of course the NHS doctor also did his rounds of his patients and......

Yeah, I know, those were the slow old "dinosaur days". How odd that the dinosaurs were one of the Earth's most successful groups of animals occupying every ecological niche available until that meteorite hit the Yucatan Peninsula and wiped out just about every living thing on land and in the sea.
well, it won't need a meteorite to wipe out existance next time, it will be the earth either imploding due to all the stuff taken out and not replaced or it will explode due to weakness of the crust and the build-up of gas in the voids left from extraction and igniting from the extra heat from the earth's core

I'm with one of the proper major banks. If something went wrong like this then I'll wait until its rectified.
It's not as if everyone needs their bank account every minute of every day anyway.

I was thinking just like you. Major banks ? Never heard of the banks cited in the story. I bank with one of the five major ones and up until today (20 years plus), never ever a digital or technical issue and if so, they advised us days before - it is called "maintenance".

Retailers might disagree with you on that point during their times of trading anyway.

Reactions: oldsalt

Well said

Reactions: oldsalt

How well I remember these wonderful times. I haven't heard of these "banks" but I know the fantastic dinosaurs like crocodile, alligator and, for me, the greatest of all, the elephant. All still going while little boys with guns don't kill them too just like idiots with lots of money who dig holes and kill off the earth and such clever people who kill off the banks.

Why? you don't need Facebook at all, it's just full of shit.

So you would be happy to wait for your groceries, or fill your car up with petrol only to find out the bank is no longer operating so you can't pay for your petrol? What do you do now? The service station owner wants his money before you leave. Hmm. Bit of a problem, eh, wot?

People do need access to their bank a/c 24/7 in this day & age where the govt & banks want us to go cashless.

Reactions: Marj53
How well I remember these wonderful times. I haven't heard of these "banks" but I know the fantastic dinosaurs like crocodile, alligator and, for me, the greatest of all, the elephant. All still going while little boys with guns don't kill them too just like idiots with lots of money who dig holes and kill off the earth and such clever people who kill off the banks.
Alas, but what is yours is mined. Can't avoid it, even back in the days of the Stone Age. If we want tools, we have to mine stuff. Amusing to consider that our global culture started with chipping silica and now depends on silicon chips......

Reactions: gamiry
So you would be happy to wait for your groceries, or fill your car up with petrol only to find out the bank is no longer operating so you can't pay for your petrol? What do you do now? The service station owner wants his money before you leave. Hmm. Bit of a problem, eh, wot?

People do need access to their bank a/c 24/7 in this day & age where the govt & banks want us to go cashless.
The service station would probably be closed if they've got no system to use.