Neighbour's noise complaint sparks online debate - see what they had to say!

We all know that living close to other people can be annoying sometimes - this is especially true if you live in an apartment complex.

One common source of conflict between neighbours is noise pollution. Whether it's someone playing their music too loud, kids fighting, or dogs barking at all hours of the night, it seems like there's always something that can disrupt the peace and quiet we all crave.

Most people are generally pretty good about trying to keep the noise down when they know it might bother others. There will, however, occasionally be neighbours who might not be aware that they are already upsetting the peace inside the building.

And when that happens, tempers can start to flare pretty quickly - as one Sydney family recently found out.

t7d6OEV55C04XO7ugpEaczjkZ21AHA52z8IT-UxA_kDr9_7egE5wLpaqDabq7sz0alTTfqHlEItAq4ZQLWDXTVWoHSqoJZthk8gMwqb9DcBdoh4aOaEVb3U82vptkZtRjgH6Coa2jHJmffNTxgG0Hyzznwp3HdpmzJ5I-FIyA-QwbKFmYJYMsZABGA

A neighbour wrote a passive-aggressive letter to an elderly couple because of their 'noisy' grandkids. Credit: iStock. (Stock photo)

One parent shared on Reddit recently that their in-laws had received a very passive-aggressive note from a neighbour after spending the day looking after their grandchildren.

The neighbour left a harshly-worded note under the grandparents' door, complaining that their grandchildren were 'screaming' and 'disturbing the peace' while they were looking after them.

'Dear neighbour, could you please consider that sound travels and your grandchildren are making a lot of noise,' the letter read.

'We are all entitled to the "peaceful enjoyment" in our apartments. Today, your visitors have been screaming and dragging loud toys and disturbing the peace.'

In the letter, the neighbour expressed their frustration over the incident, saying that the noise coming from two children was affecting the quiet of their home. They also added that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, so hopefully, they can spend it in the comfort of their own home.

The letter continued: 'You live in a high-density housing with lots of neighbours. We have kids in our building and they go to the park when they need to make noise. You can too.'

'I just wanted a nice quiet day in my apartment, but can't have that as your supervision of kids is non-existent. Lack of consideration for others.'

'If this continues, I will consider contacting the strata and the police as we are aware of our rights. There is no need for screaming.'

7VImFk0gUFQVX7x8rmx4IDUDJsFRQsg-E8BN2f2CnYjF3yuBIJfhmNiFsN9YVDwUMA_9KPJK3H3KxU61ct4Vek4uM3V0bdUyLwzSsmijAuUOgZvr1NhOWOT7hlebvsuyoEzsXbXwm9fyVJCMJcRa-uQ5YNjiastmpuCxvCRnCeCptjImOJkXWgqwGA

The neighbour accused the children of making too much noise in the apartment. Credit: Reddit.

While some users admitted to experiencing similar situations where they were already bothered by the noise coming from their neighbours, the majority of them sided with the letter recipient.

In the comments section of the forum post, one person wrote: 'Children + apartments + wooden floors is easily the most horrible combination when you're a neighbour. Whilst I understand the parenting isn't easy, they're just kids, kids make noise issue, god I can't stand people letting their kids run amok in apartments!'

A second user commented: 'I've been there – listening to the kid in the apartment beneath me run back and forth while screaming for hours. Frankly, I don't care if it was “just one night” – still too much.'

While some users agreed that there is a need for people to practise minimal noise pollution when living in apartment buildings, they were surprised that the letter came after just one incident.

'As an apartment dweller myself, I totally understand their point. We have young kids too but make every effort to teach them to not bang and jump around as it echoes through the building,' one person commented, adding: 'That said, I'd expect this kind of letter after repetitive noise disturbances, not just a one-off.'

A second user agreed, suggesting that the neighbour should have approached the grandparents first before writing the passive-aggressive letter. 'Kids screaming does suck, but this seems extreme if it was a one-off and the kids aren't actually living there,' they said.

But what about you, members - what are your thoughts? Did the grandparents deserve to receive the complaint letter or not? Have you ever been in this situation? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
This is why I would never live somewhere that has a body corporate, the author of this note is a very sad and lonely person and have forgotten the joy or never had the joyous sound of happy, laughing children.
So this person believes that Sunday is a day of rest ( very biblical!)
Then maybe the person that received the note should respond with. “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22)
Such a great reply🥰

At the moment we have a neighbour who is running alot of noisy fans in their backyard for their plants.
These fans are louder than 5 pool motors running.
Noise doest bother me unless it wakes me up , where as hubby hates loud constant noise.

He works in the garden nearly every day and hates the noise , he has asked the neighbour on several times if he needs to have it on , he replied his wife wants the fans on for their succulents. How high is their electricity bill.
So now hubby works with head phones on

We all know that living close to other people can be annoying sometimes - this is especially true if you live in an apartment complex.

One common source of conflict between neighbours is noise pollution. Whether it's someone playing their music too loud, kids fighting, or dogs barking at all hours of the night, it seems like there's always something that can disrupt the peace and quiet we all crave.

Most people are generally pretty good about trying to keep the noise down when they know it might bother others. There will, however, occasionally be neighbours who might not be aware that they are already upsetting the peace inside the building.

And when that happens, tempers can start to flare pretty quickly - as one Sydney family recently found out.

t7d6OEV55C04XO7ugpEaczjkZ21AHA52z8IT-UxA_kDr9_7egE5wLpaqDabq7sz0alTTfqHlEItAq4ZQLWDXTVWoHSqoJZthk8gMwqb9DcBdoh4aOaEVb3U82vptkZtRjgH6Coa2jHJmffNTxgG0Hyzznwp3HdpmzJ5I-FIyA-QwbKFmYJYMsZABGA

A neighbour wrote a passive-aggressive letter to an elderly couple because of their 'noisy' grandkids. Credit: iStock. (Stock photo)

One parent shared on Reddit recently that their in-laws had received a very passive-aggressive note from a neighbour after spending the day looking after their grandchildren.

The neighbour left a harshly-worded note under the grandparents' door, complaining that their grandchildren were 'screaming' and 'disturbing the peace' while they were looking after them.

'Dear neighbour, could you please consider that sound travels and your grandchildren are making a lot of noise,' the letter read.

'We are all entitled to the "peaceful enjoyment" in our apartments. Today, your visitors have been screaming and dragging loud toys and disturbing the peace.'

In the letter, the neighbour expressed their frustration over the incident, saying that the noise coming from two children was affecting the quiet of their home. They also added that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, so hopefully, they can spend it in the comfort of their own home.

The letter continued: 'You live in a high-density housing with lots of neighbours. We have kids in our building and they go to the park when they need to make noise. You can too.'

'I just wanted a nice quiet day in my apartment, but can't have that as your supervision of kids is non-existent. Lack of consideration for others.'

'If this continues, I will consider contacting the strata and the police as we are aware of our rights. There is no need for screaming.'

7VImFk0gUFQVX7x8rmx4IDUDJsFRQsg-E8BN2f2CnYjF3yuBIJfhmNiFsN9YVDwUMA_9KPJK3H3KxU61ct4Vek4uM3V0bdUyLwzSsmijAuUOgZvr1NhOWOT7hlebvsuyoEzsXbXwm9fyVJCMJcRa-uQ5YNjiastmpuCxvCRnCeCptjImOJkXWgqwGA

The neighbour accused the children of making too much noise in the apartment. Credit: Reddit.

While some users admitted to experiencing similar situations where they were already bothered by the noise coming from their neighbours, the majority of them sided with the letter recipient.

In the comments section of the forum post, one person wrote: 'Children + apartments + wooden floors is easily the most horrible combination when you're a neighbour. Whilst I understand the parenting isn't easy, they're just kids, kids make noise issue, god I can't stand people letting their kids run amok in apartments!'

A second user commented: 'I've been there – listening to the kid in the apartment beneath me run back and forth while screaming for hours. Frankly, I don't care if it was “just one night” – still too much.'

While some users agreed that there is a need for people to practise minimal noise pollution when living in apartment buildings, they were surprised that the letter came after just one incident.

'As an apartment dweller myself, I totally understand their point. We have young kids too but make every effort to teach them to not bang and jump around as it echoes through the building,' one person commented, adding: 'That said, I'd expect this kind of letter after repetitive noise disturbances, not just a one-off.'

A second user agreed, suggesting that the neighbour should have approached the grandparents first before writing the passive-aggressive letter. 'Kids screaming does suck, but this seems extreme if it was a one-off and the kids aren't actually living there,' they said.

But what about you, members - what are your thoughts? Did the grandparents deserve to receive the complaint letter or not? Have you ever been in this situation? Let us know in the comments!
I agree that they should have contacted the grandparents directly first. But a one-off is just life and not the end of the world. Put thr stereo on high...LOL! But serious, the neighbours need to be a bit more tolerant. What about the poor grandparents who have to put up with all this noise from their beloved grandchildren in their apartment. Who knows how mobile they are? So many unknowns.