Neighbour's noise complaint sparks online debate - see what they had to say!

We all know that living close to other people can be annoying sometimes - this is especially true if you live in an apartment complex.

One common source of conflict between neighbours is noise pollution. Whether it's someone playing their music too loud, kids fighting, or dogs barking at all hours of the night, it seems like there's always something that can disrupt the peace and quiet we all crave.

Most people are generally pretty good about trying to keep the noise down when they know it might bother others. There will, however, occasionally be neighbours who might not be aware that they are already upsetting the peace inside the building.

And when that happens, tempers can start to flare pretty quickly - as one Sydney family recently found out.

t7d6OEV55C04XO7ugpEaczjkZ21AHA52z8IT-UxA_kDr9_7egE5wLpaqDabq7sz0alTTfqHlEItAq4ZQLWDXTVWoHSqoJZthk8gMwqb9DcBdoh4aOaEVb3U82vptkZtRjgH6Coa2jHJmffNTxgG0Hyzznwp3HdpmzJ5I-FIyA-QwbKFmYJYMsZABGA

A neighbour wrote a passive-aggressive letter to an elderly couple because of their 'noisy' grandkids. Credit: iStock. (Stock photo)

One parent shared on Reddit recently that their in-laws had received a very passive-aggressive note from a neighbour after spending the day looking after their grandchildren.

The neighbour left a harshly-worded note under the grandparents' door, complaining that their grandchildren were 'screaming' and 'disturbing the peace' while they were looking after them.

'Dear neighbour, could you please consider that sound travels and your grandchildren are making a lot of noise,' the letter read.

'We are all entitled to the "peaceful enjoyment" in our apartments. Today, your visitors have been screaming and dragging loud toys and disturbing the peace.'

In the letter, the neighbour expressed their frustration over the incident, saying that the noise coming from two children was affecting the quiet of their home. They also added that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, so hopefully, they can spend it in the comfort of their own home.

The letter continued: 'You live in a high-density housing with lots of neighbours. We have kids in our building and they go to the park when they need to make noise. You can too.'

'I just wanted a nice quiet day in my apartment, but can't have that as your supervision of kids is non-existent. Lack of consideration for others.'

'If this continues, I will consider contacting the strata and the police as we are aware of our rights. There is no need for screaming.'

7VImFk0gUFQVX7x8rmx4IDUDJsFRQsg-E8BN2f2CnYjF3yuBIJfhmNiFsN9YVDwUMA_9KPJK3H3KxU61ct4Vek4uM3V0bdUyLwzSsmijAuUOgZvr1NhOWOT7hlebvsuyoEzsXbXwm9fyVJCMJcRa-uQ5YNjiastmpuCxvCRnCeCptjImOJkXWgqwGA

The neighbour accused the children of making too much noise in the apartment. Credit: Reddit.

While some users admitted to experiencing similar situations where they were already bothered by the noise coming from their neighbours, the majority of them sided with the letter recipient.

In the comments section of the forum post, one person wrote: 'Children + apartments + wooden floors is easily the most horrible combination when you're a neighbour. Whilst I understand the parenting isn't easy, they're just kids, kids make noise issue, god I can't stand people letting their kids run amok in apartments!'

A second user commented: 'I've been there – listening to the kid in the apartment beneath me run back and forth while screaming for hours. Frankly, I don't care if it was “just one night” – still too much.'

While some users agreed that there is a need for people to practise minimal noise pollution when living in apartment buildings, they were surprised that the letter came after just one incident.

'As an apartment dweller myself, I totally understand their point. We have young kids too but make every effort to teach them to not bang and jump around as it echoes through the building,' one person commented, adding: 'That said, I'd expect this kind of letter after repetitive noise disturbances, not just a one-off.'

A second user agreed, suggesting that the neighbour should have approached the grandparents first before writing the passive-aggressive letter. 'Kids screaming does suck, but this seems extreme if it was a one-off and the kids aren't actually living there,' they said.

But what about you, members - what are your thoughts? Did the grandparents deserve to receive the complaint letter or not? Have you ever been in this situation? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Just because kids can scream doesn’t mean they should be allowed to. I feel for the writer of the note without condoning the writing of it. Perhaps the grandparents in this situation should have had more consideration of their neighbours and made sure there were quieter games and activities for their grandchildren.

If this was a one off or happen rare occasions then the neighbour shouldn't have written a letter that nasty .

She didn't know her rights as Police would have laught it off if the report was children playing noisily unless it was late at night

Many moons ago we lived in a unit and our neighbour upstairs.....let's say very very noisy love makers.
At first we laughed at it ..the bed banging , the screaming ect
But when this started happening at 1am for around 45 min and continued for the 5th night. I had to say something only because it woke us up and kept us awake and we both needed to get up early for work . Their bedroom was above ours.

I approached her and told her they were waking us up ect ect
She was great about it she apologised and said she would keep the noise down , she didn't realise everyone could hear.
The noise was lowered and done earlier.

I think it's best to approach your neighbour and talk to them rather than a letter except if the neighbour is really unapproachable

Of course complaints are part of life. Sometimes a written note is more "peaceful", than face to face confrontations. Though kids these days, in general are allowed to do as they please, under the guise of allowing them to express themselves. A phrase I heard recently was "free-range " children. Well not everyone is responsible for raising other's children. That includes their noise. Every circumstance is different and people have to right to live without being disturbed too. Yes, I'm a granddad of four, so I do have some experience.

Last edited:
If it was a regular happening, fair enough to complain. For a one-off, no. It would also be interesting to know whether any other residents were disturbed or was it just one grumpy person?
I lived in a townhouse complex for some years, and had some terrible experiences with noisy neighbours aged from toddlers to 40s - easy to put up with if it was just a party, but not when it happened every day/night.

We all know that living close to other people can be annoying sometimes - this is especially true if you live in an apartment complex.

One common source of conflict between neighbours is noise pollution. Whether it's someone playing their music too loud, kids fighting, or dogs barking at all hours of the night, it seems like there's always something that can disrupt the peace and quiet we all crave.

Most people are generally pretty good about trying to keep the noise down when they know it might bother others. There will, however, occasionally be neighbours who might not be aware that they are already upsetting the peace inside the building.

And when that happens, tempers can start to flare pretty quickly - as one Sydney family recently found out.

t7d6OEV55C04XO7ugpEaczjkZ21AHA52z8IT-UxA_kDr9_7egE5wLpaqDabq7sz0alTTfqHlEItAq4ZQLWDXTVWoHSqoJZthk8gMwqb9DcBdoh4aOaEVb3U82vptkZtRjgH6Coa2jHJmffNTxgG0Hyzznwp3HdpmzJ5I-FIyA-QwbKFmYJYMsZABGA

A neighbour wrote a passive-aggressive letter to an elderly couple because of their 'noisy' grandkids. Credit: iStock. (Stock photo)

One parent shared on Reddit recently that their in-laws had received a very passive-aggressive note from a neighbour after spending the day looking after their grandchildren.

The neighbour left a harshly-worded note under the grandparents' door, complaining that their grandchildren were 'screaming' and 'disturbing the peace' while they were looking after them.

'Dear neighbour, could you please consider that sound travels and your grandchildren are making a lot of noise,' the letter read.

'We are all entitled to the "peaceful enjoyment" in our apartments. Today, your visitors have been screaming and dragging loud toys and disturbing the peace.'

In the letter, the neighbour expressed their frustration over the incident, saying that the noise coming from two children was affecting the quiet of their home. They also added that Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, so hopefully, they can spend it in the comfort of their own home.

The letter continued: 'You live in a high-density housing with lots of neighbours. We have kids in our building and they go to the park when they need to make noise. You can too.'

'I just wanted a nice quiet day in my apartment, but can't have that as your supervision of kids is non-existent. Lack of consideration for others.'

'If this continues, I will consider contacting the strata and the police as we are aware of our rights. There is no need for screaming.'

7VImFk0gUFQVX7x8rmx4IDUDJsFRQsg-E8BN2f2CnYjF3yuBIJfhmNiFsN9YVDwUMA_9KPJK3H3KxU61ct4Vek4uM3V0bdUyLwzSsmijAuUOgZvr1NhOWOT7hlebvsuyoEzsXbXwm9fyVJCMJcRa-uQ5YNjiastmpuCxvCRnCeCptjImOJkXWgqwGA

The neighbour accused the children of making too much noise in the apartment. Credit: Reddit.

While some users admitted to experiencing similar situations where they were already bothered by the noise coming from their neighbours, the majority of them sided with the letter recipient.

In the comments section of the forum post, one person wrote: 'Children + apartments + wooden floors is easily the most horrible combination when you're a neighbour. Whilst I understand the parenting isn't easy, they're just kids, kids make noise issue, god I can't stand people letting their kids run amok in apartments!'

A second user commented: 'I've been there – listening to the kid in the apartment beneath me run back and forth while screaming for hours. Frankly, I don't care if it was “just one night” – still too much.'

While some users agreed that there is a need for people to practise minimal noise pollution when living in apartment buildings, they were surprised that the letter came after just one incident.

'As an apartment dweller myself, I totally understand their point. We have young kids too but make every effort to teach them to not bang and jump around as it echoes through the building,' one person commented, adding: 'That said, I'd expect this kind of letter after repetitive noise disturbances, not just a one-off.'

A second user agreed, suggesting that the neighbour should have approached the grandparents first before writing the passive-aggressive letter. 'Kids screaming does suck, but this seems extreme if it was a one-off and the kids aren't actually living there,' they said.

But what about you, members - what are your thoughts? Did the grandparents deserve to receive the complaint letter or not? Have you ever been in this situation? Let us know in the comments!
This is ridiculous. High density is mentioned in this aggressive letter. If you aren't prepared to put up with what that means then move or shut up!

Reactions: Ezzy and TheBear
I am very surprised that the grandparents themselves were able to cope with the noise if it was that bad. I have 21 grandchildren (including two with Autism) and have never put up with the screaming or shouting in my home. I was also a daycare mum when my children younger, caring for up to seven children from different families at one time. Quiet activities are simple to implement and as the letter implied there are also usually parks nearby if they become boisterous. Having said that, the letter writer may have been having a bad day or just be an intolerant or bad tempered person who considers any noise an infringement of their rights. Perhaps tell the children about the letter and take them to meet the complainant the next time they visit, introduce them and explain they are visiting and will try to be quieter this time. That way, every ones know where they stand.

If it was a regular happening, fair enough to complain. For a one-off, no. It would also be interesting to know whether any other residents were disturbed or was it just one grumpy person?
I lived in a townhouse complex for some years, and had some terrible experiences with noisy neighbours aged from toddlers to 40s - easy to put up with if it was just a party, but not when it happened every day/night.
Yeah and if you don't nip it in the bud it'll be every time.

Reactions: Ezzy and debjane
This is ridiculous. High density is mentioned in this aggressive letter. If you aren't prepared to put up with what that means then move or shut up!
You obviously haven't had noise pollution problems, if you don't nip these problems in the bud they escalate very quickly.

Obviously, these neighbour's do not know each other very well because the first thing I would have done is to have a quiet chat with them about the noise levels. Perhaps the grandparents could have organised some outdoor activities but the weather may not have allowed this. Also it does not say how old the grandkids are. Maybe this is a good chance for the neighbours to get to know each other.

Five years ago, I moved to a small coastal "town". It's my sea/tree change & I did it for the peace & quiet, as it's not a tourist area & surrounded by countryside. But.... there are a few holiday/second homes nearby & the owners come for weekends & school holidays. The adults like to mow their lawns at 7am. The kids are allowed to yell & scream from an early hour, & their dogs bark constantly because of all the strange & new noises. (Yes, I have dogs, but they are not allowed to constantly bark for no reason.) One lady likes to talk on her phone, in her driveway, on loud speaker, all day, for the whole time she's here. She's in the next street, but I can still hear her when I'm inside my house - over the sounds of the dogs barking & her kids screaming for her attention. She's often talking, one phone call straight after another, for 14 hours straight. (I know the names of her husband, kids & mates, & that she doesn't like "Frank" from work!) I wish that these "city folk" could learn to relax while they're here, & enjoy the peace & quiet that this area is known for! (But I haven't complained to anyone, & happily put their bins away for them.)

🤦‍♀️Really , if noise is a REAL concern for you, why live in an apartment

Maybe acceptable if this happened often - but a one off no way! Might have been the grandp making the noise whilr they were playing and enjoying being with their grandchildren.

I look after my 2 grandsons every school holidays at my place. Luckily I live in a house but they can still be quite unruly at times.The 10yr old is on the Autism spectrum and the 8yr old is ADHA and his parents have decided that he no longer needs medication. This can lead to outbursts of screaming and violence towards his brother and myself when he doesn't like to do as requested. I try to keep them occupied by playing card and board games with them or taking them to all the parks in my area or just taking the dog for a walk. This way they get their energy out of their systems and are much more chill when at home.

Reactions: Tristeagan and Ezzy

I believe it was reaonable to complain but could the letter writer have shown a bit more tact, knocked on the door & asked in a pleasant manner for some action? Leaving an unsigned note is pretty cowardly l feel.

My neighbour behind us is aware that l have an issue every Friday when his dog is bought & left there all day alone & does nothing but yap. Not sure where it is the rest of the week. Only recently on the occasional time will someone come out & quieten the dog. This is inconsiderate & very un-neighbourly of him.

Five years ago, I moved to a small coastal "town". It's my sea/tree change & I did it for the peace & quiet, as it's not a tourist area & surrounded by countryside. But.... there are a few holiday/second homes nearby & the owners come for weekends & school holidays. The adults like to mow their lawns at 7am. The kids are allowed to yell & scream from an early hour, & their dogs bark constantly because of all the strange & new noises. (Yes, I have dogs, but they are not allowed to constantly bark for no reason.) One lady likes to talk on her phone, in her driveway, on loud speaker, all day, for the whole time she's here. She's in the next street, but I can still hear her when I'm inside my house - over the sounds of the dogs barking & her kids screaming for her attention. She's often talking, one phone call straight after another, for 14 hours straight. (I know the names of her husband, kids & mates, & that she doesn't like "Frank" from work!) I wish that these "city folk" could learn to relax while they're here, & enjoy the peace & quiet that this area is known for! (But I haven't complained to anyone, & happily put their bins away for them.)
You are a good neighbour that in a sense they are invading your home because you live there & they only visit.

Reactions: SandyM
This is why I would never live somewhere that has a body corporate, the author of this note is a very sad and lonely person and have forgotten the joy or never had the joyous sound of happy, laughing children.
So this person believes that Sunday is a day of rest ( very biblical!)
Then maybe the person that received the note should respond with. “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22)

I believe it was reaonable to complain but could the letter writer have shown a bit more tact, knocked on the door & asked in a pleasant manner for some action? Leaving an unsigned note is pretty cowardly l feel.

My neighbour behind us is aware that l have an issue every Friday when his dog is bought & left there all day alone & does nothing but yap. Not sure where it is the rest of the week. Only recently on the occasional time will someone come out & quieten the dog. This is inconsiderate & very un-neighbourly of him.
My pet hate is when a neighbour gets a dog and it barks non stop.