SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Neighbours chatting over the fence

When I saw this photo on the Australia Remember When Facebook page it put a big smile on my face. According to the image caption, ‘This old family photo was taken in 1950. It shows the neighbours talking across the fence, the old clothesline, the ladies wearing their aprons, the old paling fences and the gate between the two yards.’ I don’t know about you, members, but growing up my neighbours and I had a gate built into our fences so we could walk in between our two backyards. We were incredibly close and spent most afternoons playing together. Not to mention, every Sunday night we had a BBQ dinner! It was the best way to grow up. Even to this day, I make sure I make an effort to get to know my neighbours! Do you have any fond memories of growing up with your neighbours?

330480802_6089319447754828_3156016997936713589_n.jpg
Image source: Barbara Ruthof via The Australia Remember When Facebook Page

Yes we had a gate in our wooden fence but only with one neighbour who I knew as aunty Anne and uncle Ken. They were my grandparents neighbours for 40 years.
When aunty Ann got sick with cancer my grandmother used this gate many times aday to take her food and to just check on her while her husband was at work.

Sadly it was my grandmother who found her when she had passed away in the middle of the day.

My memories are of many many over the fence chats and many times aunty Anne calked out to come over and get some yummy cakes or cookies .

Sadly once women went to work because of necessity and a lot of the houses became rental properties those days disappeared ==we hardly knew our neighbor's after about 10 years the properties sold and became rentals everyone was working and things just changed ---,loved the old days back then

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Hi,
The photo looks exactly like my grand parents backyard at Victor Harbour !! My nan always had her apron on and the clothesline is same! At home in Adelaide, we had two fences into our backyard, from our neighbours on the side and neighbours at the back. Constant morning teas either at mums or neighbours house, after the morning housework of course. Mum knew all the neighbours in the street, they lived there for over sixty years.

Reactions: Suzanne rose