Need soft butter fast? Here’s how

We all know that when it comes to baking, using the right ingredients is crucial for a successful recipe.

Butter is one of those key ingredients, but it can often be hard to work with if it's not the right consistency. You don't want it to be too soft or too hard — just perfect for spreading.

Of course, there are a few ways you can achieve this ideal texture depending on how much time you have (or don't have).

One popular method is simply taking the butter out of the fridge an hour or so before you need to use it so that it has a chance to soften at room temperature.

But what if you're short on time and need your butter ASAP?

Well, one Aussie mum has just the answer for you, and all it takes is an empty glass, some water, and a kettle!

Screenshot_2.png
Get your butter soft but unmelted with a few simple steps. Credit: Facebook/Cook’s Illustrated

The butter-softening hack, described by her as ‘one of the best baking tips ever’, can be done in a few steps.

‘If you need to soften butter quickly but don’t want to melt it, put boiling hot water in a glass to heat the glass.’ she said.

Once the glass is hot enough, pour the water out (if you’re conscious about saving water, set it aside in another cup for use later — maybe make a cuppa!).

Next, place it over an upright stick of butter.

‘In a few minutes, it will be perfectly soft and ready to use. You’re welcome.’ she said.

Many users were amazed at her simple hack.

‘Great tip!’ one user exclaimed. ‘How have I gone my whole life without knowing this? I always forget to take the butter out.’

‘I learned something new today, thanks for this great tip,’ added a second one.

But others found the whole thing useless, pointing out how a microwave would have done the same thing.

‘Just put it in for nine seconds,’ an unimpressed user said.

While others had more practical objections.

One stressed: ‘I would never put boiling water in a glass as it would shatter it.’

Well, you can’t please everybody, eh?

Luckily, we found a similar video displaying the mum’s butter hack. Enjoy!

Source: Facebook/Cook’s Illustrated

On the topic of butter, we found another convenient hack you might want to try.

Have you ever gotten one of those small-sized packs of butter they give out with bread in restaurants?

It can get quite tedious unwrapping them, right? Well, one TikTok user named Grant Irvine showed how to use those small packs in a quick, easy, and honestly, fun way.

The video shows a man stabbing a packet of butter with a fork.

Once done, he then turned the pack of butter over with the perforated side facing downward.

As it hovered over a dish, the man then squeezed the pack hard, causing the butter to come out of the punctures like toothpaste out of a tube!

The video had massive engagements, with over 2.5 million views and more than 300 thousand hearts (likes).

Hundreds of users praised the convenient way of applying the butter.

‘Why haven’t I thought of this?’ a user asked.

‘That’s actually impressive,’ another one said.

But others pointed out they usually got theirs near-frozen, so they wouldn’t be able to do their version of the butter-spreading hack.

More optimistic users, however, said once outside, the butter packs would be ‘soft in no time’.

Well, that’s one hack we’re excited to try!

We also have no shortage of buttery topics to choose from too. You might find this hack dealing with hard butter fresh out of the fridge useful, and this one on the proper way of buttering bread amazing — or infuriating!

There’s also this woman’s unbelievable ‘anti-theft’ butter hack that made rounds a couple of weeks ago that no words are ever really enough to explain…

So, what do you think about these crafty solutions to your butter woes? Would you consider trying them?

Tell us in the comments section below!

Source: TikTok/@grantirvine7

Sponsored
Pouring boiling water into a glass is a disaster waiting to happen. The glass will break, and hot water will go everywhere pprobably burning you. Just heat the glas gently, but don’t pour boiling water into it

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
We all know that when it comes to baking, using the right ingredients is crucial for a successful recipe.

Butter is one of those key ingredients, but it can often be hard to work with if it's not the right consistency. You don't want it to be too soft or too hard — just perfect for spreading.

Of course, there are a few ways you can achieve this ideal texture depending on how much time you have (or don't have).

One popular method is simply taking the butter out of the fridge an hour or so before you need to use it so that it has a chance to soften at room temperature.

Well, one Aussie mum has just the answer for you, and all it takes is an empty glass, some water, and a kettle!

View attachment 9265
Get your butter soft but unmelted with a few simple steps. Credit: Facebook/Cook’s Illustrated

The butter-softening hack, described by her as ‘one of the best baking tips ever’, can be done in a few steps.

‘If you need to soften butter quickly but don’t want to melt it, put boiling hot water in a glass to heat the glass.’ she said.

Once the glass is hot enough, pour the water out (if you’re conscious about saving water, set it aside in another cup for use later — maybe make a cuppa!).

‘In a few minutes, it will be perfectly soft and ready to use. You’re welcome.’ she said.

‘Great tip!’ one user exclaimed. ‘How have I gone my whole life without knowing this? I always forget to take the butter out.’

But others found the whole thing useless, pointing out how a microwave would have done the same thing.

One stressed: ‘I would never put boiling water in a glass as it would shatter it.’

Have you ever gotten one of those small-sized packs of butter they give out with bread in restaurants?

It can get quite tedious unwrapping them, right? Well, one TikTok user named Grant Irvine showed how to use those small packs in a quick, easy, and honestly, fun way.

Once done, he then turned the pack of butter over with the perforated side facing downward.

As it hovered over a dish, the man then squeezed the pack hard, causing the butter to come out of the punctures like toothpaste out of a tube!

The video had massive engagements, with over 2.5 million views and more than 300 thousand hearts (likes).

But others pointed out they usually got theirs near-frozen, so they wouldn’t be able to do their version of the butter-spreading hack.

More optimistic users, however, said once outside, the butter packs would be ‘soft in no time’.

We also have no shortage of buttery topics to choose from too. You might find this hack dealing with hard butter fresh out of the fridge useful, and this one on the proper way of buttering bread amazing — or infuriating!

There’s also this woman’s unbelievable ‘anti-theft’ butter hack that made rounds a couple of weeks ago that no words are ever really enough to explain…

So, what do you think about these crafty solutions to your butter woes? Would you consider trying them?

Nothing new here. I am 76 and my Mother showed me this trick many years ago

I buy the catering butter from Aldi. I use this for all my cooking , cakes & pastry alike. I buy their soft butter for sandwiches as I have never owned a microwave as I was warned about the risks associated by a nuclear scientist many years ago.

Reactions: Jersey Girl
I buy the catering butter from Aldi. I use this for all my cooking , cakes & pastry alike. I buy their soft butter for sandwiches as I have never owned a microwave as I was warned about the risks associated by a nuclear scientist many years ago.
What was the warning?

Sticks of butter are US, if a recipe asks for a stick of butter, you know it's American.
One stick is equal to about 4 ounces.
I would not be pouring boiling water into a glass. If I've forgotten to take the butter out of the frig to soften, I get it out first, cut it up into smaller bits, then prepare all the other ingredients and trays, then my butter is usually soft enough to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Penny4

View attachment 9265

Wow did not know these tricks will try them out soon

A stick of butter is an American thing. For your info it is a measurement of 8 TBL spoons or 113.4 grams. I just grate mine. It doesn't take long to soften.

Last edited:
back to the nuclear scientist. He was either very dumb, poorly informed or was taking the mickey out of you (or all of the above). I summize that you must be elderly. My mother-in-law didn't buy a microwave for many years for similar reasons although she believed that the microwaves were still buzzing around inside the food for a long time. And she didn't like the idea of the food cooking from the inside out and eating the microwaves. I would find life a bit difficult without my 3