SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
J

James Gutierrez

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 11, 2021
Natural hacks for removing weeds in garden

As we know all too well, weeds can pop up just about anywhere in our beloved yards or gardens. Not only are they unsightly and make outdoor spaces look less attractive, but they also compete with plants and lawn for water, sunlight, and nutrients.

To solve these problems, they must be removed.

And since we don’t want any chemicals to harm our garden soil, here are some ways to remove weeds naturally. Don’t worry – they’re pretty inexpensive too!

-6NGliFcNc8ezALjLJuyPKF5I69-A5QGAx873sttKVB3NcLh_l7LIeqmkgAQCZIaIdzA6E9shhKLM4o3Q8NycaGac-3MZUKobpcuYibbnt0ylaa9QTm0BkVcyWyO_tbo6wr97iLt

Weed removal is vital in your garden. Credit: Garden Retreats.
Pulling weeds by hand

The best (and also the hardest and most taxing) way of dealing with weeds is by plucking them out of the soil by hand.

For this method to be effective, you should keep in mind that you need to remove the whole plant, along with its roots. For weeds with shallow roots, you can just pull the plant gently by its stem.

For weeds with deeper and longer roots, you may have to exert some extra effort. Try using a small hoe to dig the soil around them. Once you get a firm grasp of the stem, pull thoroughly until you get the entire root out.

We also advise doing this method when the soil is damp and moist. Damp soil is loose, which makes removing weeds with their roots much easier. Otherwise, you may risk leaving the roots because they are stuck in the soil.

Newspaper method

We understand that pulling weeds by hand is an extremely time-consuming work, not to mention back-breaking too!

So, here’s an alternative way of getting rid of weeds for good – by using layers of damp newspapers!

Apparently, if you place several layers of damp newspaper over any area of your yard with weeds and cover it with some soil, you can starve the weeds of any sunlight and nutrients, killing weeds that have already sprouted and preventing new ones from growing. It’s all-natural and pretty cheap too!

Simply lay down around ten sheets of newspaper over an area in your garden infested with weeds. Then, wet the newspapers to hold them down and cover with an inch or two of mulch.

If weeds begin to grow in the mulch, add more layers of newspaper, topped with another layer of mulch. The newspaper will gradually decompose, essentially creating a brand new layer of soil.

In addition to getting rid of weeds, the damp layers of newspaper can also help retain moisture within the soil over the colder months.

Pouring boiling water over weeds

Boiling water is not only useful for a nice cup of tea, but you can also use it to remove weeds on your lawn!

Simply pour boiling water on weeds (be careful on handling the kettle!) and watch them as they burn up.

This method is particularly good for removing weeds growing on the driveway as the water can simply run off on the concrete. Make sure not to water your favourite plants!

White Vinegar and Dish Soap

This is a great way to get rid of weeds in a garden that already has a lot of plants in it. Mix white vinegar and dish soap in a spray bottle and spray the weeds. The vinegar will kill the weeds and the dish soap will help to dissolve the weed's roots, making it harder for them to grow back.

According to Birds & Blooms: “The acetic acid in vinegar “sucks out the water” from the weed, which dries it up. The dish soap helps to break down the outer coat of the plant (cuticle), which helps that vinegar to work best.”

Soil Solarization Method

Now that your soil is all clean and weed-free, you can try this method to prevent them from coming back.

Cover the patch of soil with black trash bags (or a dark tarpaulin) for a couple of weeks. This will let the sun “bake the soil”, which will prevent any weeds from growing.

While these methods may be effective, we have to advise our members that there is no “permanent” way of getting rid of weeds; their seeds can be spread through the air and by bird droppings.

For more natural weed-killer solutions, check out this video below!

Credit: Grow Your Heirlooms

Like the white vinegar idea BUT the weeds are in among my plants so spraying would be impossible if it also will affect my plants. Can anyone explain how else to get rid of those weeds or if the vinegar/dish soap will kill my plants as well as the weeds. I am unable to get down on my hands and knees so need an easy answer please.

Like the white vinegar idea BUT the weeds are in among my plants so spraying would be impossible if it also will affect my plants. Can anyone explain how else to get rid of those weeds or if the vinegar/dish soap will kill my plants as well as the weeds. I am unable to get down on my hands and knees so need an easy answer please.
I use vinegar in a spray bottle for weeds in my pavers but you have to be careful with pots in plants. I too would like a method of not having to get down on my hands and knees. And newspapers are hard to come by now. Any advice would be appreciated.

My garden has been kept mostly weed free by the addition of Bandicoots!! They are so good at keeping the soil turned over in their hunt for food that weeds just don't have the time to get going. However, there is a downside, the holes they dig, both in the garden and lawn are a nightmare, gone is my bowling green lawn, and some of my plants have a decidedly drunken lean to them due to holes underneath. So, having cured my garden of weeds what I need is a cure for Bandicoots!!:(:giggle:

Weed wands are available, which use herbicides eg Zero on a small applicator at the end of a long handle.
Whatever you touch gets a dose, so be careful around other plants in your garden bed.
Or there are Weed Pullers, Yates makes a stand-up puller so that you don't have to bend or kneel to do your weeding. By using one of these tools, you don't kill your wanted plants in a garden bed or your lawn. Can be time consuming though, but if you make a start, stick at it, and you will gradually reduce your weed count.

These are all great solutions. I've been using nonchemical forms of weeding in both my veggie garden and flower beds eversince my hubby and I decided to go completely organic in our avocado orchard and get our certification to be able to advertise our fruit as organic. The damp newspaper trick works best in my opinion. I've never been a fan of hand weeding. I also find damp newspapers great for covering an area, especially in the veggie garden where one crop is finished and you want a weed-free area to plant the next crop. If you cover the area very well with damp newspaper and straw it kills off all the weeds and you can turn the whole lot over into the soil and fork it in. Great compost and no weeds to come up through your new planting.

I use vinegar in a spray bottle for weeds in my pavers but you have to be careful with pots in plants. I too would like a method of not having to get down on my hands and knees. And newspapers are hard to come by now. Any advice would be appreciated.
Use a spray bottle with a long wand

Reactions: Ricci