Music Icon Burt Bacharach Passes Away at Age 94: Remembering a Legend

The world of music is in mourning after the sad passing of legendary composer and producer Burt Bacharach. The iconic 94-year-old musician is best known for hits such as Say a Little Prayer, The Look of Love, Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head and Magic Moments.

shutterstock_147288011.jpg
Burt Bacharach and his ex-wife Clive Davis at the Annual Pre-Grammy Party Beverly Hilton Hotel Beverly Hills, CA February 7, 2006. Image source: Shutterstock.

According to a statement to the Associated Press by his publicist Tina Brausman, Bacharach died on Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles of natural causes. 'It is with saddened hearts that we share the passing of our father, husband and friend', his team said on Instagram.

Born in 1928 in Kansas City, Missouri, Bacharach won six Grammys and three Oscars and is credited with 73 ‘top 40’ hits in the US and 52 in the UK. He is widely acknowledged as one of the most important composers of the 20th century.

In the 1950s, Bacharach connected with Marlene Dietrich, which helped him get noticed, and soon started working with Hal David in one of pop music’s most successful writer/producer collaborations.

The pair wrote songs for hugely popular recording artists, including Dionne Warwick, Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, The Carpenters, Tom Jones and Neil Diamond.

Bacharach also wrote the movie soundtracks for What’s New, Pussycat?, Alfie and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, the latter of which won him his first Oscar in 1970. In 1982 he won an Oscar for the song Best That You Can Do from the film Arthur.

The music community has been quick to commemorate Bacharach’s immeasurable contribution to the world of music.

Band Simply Red said on Twitter, 'Farewell genius... RIP'.

Charlatans’ lead singer Tim Burgess said Bacharach had 'one of the greatest songwriting legacies in the history of ever'.

The Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson said he was 'sad' to hear of Bacharach’s passing.

'He was a hero of mine and very influential on my work. He was a giant in the music business. His songs will live forever,' Wilson added.

Bacharach married four times throughout his life. He leaves behind his wife, Jane Hansen, and his children Olivier, Raleigh and Nikki.

On behalf of all our members of the Seniors Discount Club, we send our sincere condolences to Burt Bacharach’s family and friends at this difficult time. Rest in peace, Burt. Your music will live on forever. If you wish to enjoy some of his music while you remember him, we recommend watching the video below.

Sponsored
So many crowning achievements attach to Burt Bacharach's career that that it seems petty to record a misattribution but here it is: Burt didn't score the film Alfie. The song "Alfie" was inspired by the film - and a marvellous song it is - but the soundtrack to the film was by the great jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins, still alive and kicking, though no longer playing, at 92.

I love his music! The caption is funny - it says "Burt Bacharach and his ex-wife Clive Davis at the Annual Pre-Grammy Party Beverly Hilton Hotel Beverly Hills, CA February 7, 2006." Clive Davis is a famous renowned Music Empressario. In that picture it could be his third wife - Jane Hansen not Clive Davis.

I have to say, the music of yesteryear is so much better than todays music. Whats the latest hit song today? Isnt it so forgettable!? Wasnt there a hit song a year ago called "Dance Monkey" ?? What kind of song was that? Was it real singing? Frank Sinatra , Whitney Houston would be turning in their graves!

Reactions: Maddison Dwyer
I have to say, the music of yesteryear is so much better than todays music. Whats the latest hit song today? Isnt it so forgettable!? Wasnt there a hit song a year ago called "Dance Monkey" ?? What kind of song was that? Was it real singing? Frank Sinatra , Whitney Houston would be turning in their graves!
You sound like what I normally say about all that. 😁

However, as well as the older music I do like a lot of novelty songs and Dance Monkey is one of them. It's been streamed over 2 billion times on Spotify and its singer is about one of only 4 singers who have that many plays on there.