Mum shares laundry trick to cut drying time in half – perfect for winter!

Have we been using our washing machines the wrong way all this time? We never would have thought that a simple tip could make such a huge difference…

An Aussie woman has recently shared a tip for using a washing machine that, if followed, will halve the amount of time it takes for your clothes to dry, particularly during the colder months of the year.

In a post on a popular Facebook group, the woman revealed how adding an additional step to your laundry process could give you unbelievably amazing results.

She explained that if you put your clothes, sheets, and towels through an additional spin cycle after your washing machine has completed its regular cycle, you can significantly cut down the amount of time it takes for these items to dry.

jbAG3791uYGjjk482s6ypNZRA_5dtIdpC7u36Hv-sK6HnBsMzkKOEpGnT_sFtpr4NRtcfJoNMw982UKCoDQS2FAtJM8G3dJfV9iVRnldLhT_mbRbe5LdmfInnXSILZpP_2dvX-FPgxZaZqu-B0x49vU

The simple trick promises to cut the time it takes for your clothes to dry by a lot. Credit: fstop123/Getty Images/iStockphoto. (Stock photo)

Apparently, the woman wasn't the one who came up with the laundry trick – it was her mum. 'I have recently been staying with my parents. While there, I did some washing for them,' she said in her post on the Facebook group Mums Who Clean.

And while she was doing her parents' laundry, her mum said to her, 'Don't forget to do an additional spin cycle after the cycle has finished.'

When she asked her mum why, the older woman said, 'So that it wouldn't take as long for the washing to dry on a cold winter's day when there isn't as much sun.'

To the woman's surprise, her mum was right! The clothes did indeed dry much faster.

Ever since the woman returned from her parents' house to her home in Sydney, she has been trying the laundry trick with her loads of towels and bath sheets.

'Normally, the load would take anywhere from one and a half to two hours to dry. They took just under 60 minutes,' she wrote in her post.

'Thanks, mum, you are a genius!'

The laundry hack was also a revelation to many fellow homeowners, who said they couldn't wait to give it a try after hearing about it.

'Running to my washer to put the towels through an extra spin!' said one person in the comments. A second one added, 'Oh wow, I'm going to give this a go!'

'What a great idea! I'm going to do this now too,' wrote a third.

As for the others, they admitted that the laundry trick was nothing new to them and that they had been doing it for quite some time already.

'My mum also taught me this! Except I don't have a dryer, but it helps them line dry quicker,' one person wrote. Another agreed and added that they do this trick even in the summer season.

What about you, folks? Is this laundry trick new to you, or have you known about it for a while? Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have any additional laundry advice, we would really appreciate it!

Sponsored
Yes my beautiful Mum taught me this trick, but it was a kind AGL gentleman who IMPROVED on this idea when I rang customer service asking for tips to lower my power bill. He said when you do the second Spin Cycle, toss in a DRY BATH TOWEL or BATH SHEET ??? He informed me that the dry towel or bath sheet would assist all of the other clothes to dry even faster...!! -
and lo and behold IT WORKS and saves even more time getting my clothes dry saving both Power and Time as well as money, so - a big thanks to AGL customer service for helping me keep the power bills down and providing this tip. (I must say I was dubious when he first told me, but after testing out his idea was thrilled at the result) Try it and be amazed!

I have been doing this for most of the winter, I found that my washing was sometimes quite wet when I took them out of the machine, so I gave them a second spin dry cycle now I do it every wash.
I don't worry if doing it during the summer months when the sun is much warmer to dry the washing easier, It helps dry the washing during the winter months. saundy

Have we been using our washing machines the wrong way all this time? We never would have thought that a simple tip could make such a huge difference…

An Aussie woman has recently shared a tip for using a washing machine that, if followed, will halve the amount of time it takes for your clothes to dry, particularly during the colder months of the year.

In a post on a popular Facebook group, the woman revealed how adding an additional step to your laundry process could give you unbelievably amazing results.

She explained that if you put your clothes, sheets, and towels through an additional spin cycle after your washing machine has completed its regular cycle, you can significantly cut down the amount of time it takes for these items to dry.

jbAG3791uYGjjk482s6ypNZRA_5dtIdpC7u36Hv-sK6HnBsMzkKOEpGnT_sFtpr4NRtcfJoNMw982UKCoDQS2FAtJM8G3dJfV9iVRnldLhT_mbRbe5LdmfInnXSILZpP_2dvX-FPgxZaZqu-B0x49vU

The simple trick promises to cut the time it takes for your clothes to dry by a lot. Credit: fstop123/Getty Images/iStockphoto. (Stock photo)

Apparently, the woman wasn't the one who came up with the laundry trick – it was her mum. 'I have recently been staying with my parents. While there, I did some washing for them,' she said in her post on the Facebook group Mums Who Clean.

And while she was doing her parents' laundry, her mum said to her, 'Don't forget to do an additional spin cycle after the cycle has finished.'

When she asked her mum why, the older woman said, 'So that it wouldn't take as long for the washing to dry on a cold winter's day when there isn't as much sun.'

To the woman's surprise, her mum was right! The clothes did indeed dry much faster.

Ever since the woman returned from her parents' house to her home in Sydney, she has been trying the laundry trick with her loads of towels and bath sheets.

'Normally, the load would take anywhere from one and a half to two hours to dry. They took just under 60 minutes,' she wrote in her post.

The laundry hack was also a revelation to many fellow homeowners, who said they couldn't wait to give it a try after hearing about it.

'Running to my washer to put the towels through an extra spin!' said one person in the comments. A second one added, 'Oh wow, I'm going to give this a go!'

As for the others, they admitted that the laundry trick was nothing new to them and that they had been doing it for quite some time already.

'My mum also taught me this! Except I don't have a dryer, but it helps them line dry quicker,' one person wrote. Another agreed and added that they do this trick even in the summer season.

What about you, folks? Is this laundry trick new to you, or have you known about it for a while? Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have any additional laundry advice, we would really appreciate it!
I have been doing that for many years especially when its a cloudy day and not a lot of breeze around

Reactions: barbaranne
Yes been doing this for ages, especially when wet weather and have to hang the clothes in the bathroom to dry.

Yes if you want to check just measure the additional water on the second spin you will be surprised. More than just a litre especially with towels.

I have always done a second spin except for delicates you cannot put in the dryer.

thanks for the tip i will be doing it with my sheets and towels i have a clothes line but can't reach high enough to put my clothes on the line so i use my dryer thankyou marg :)(y)(y)

Reactions: Tervueren

All very well, but are we really in such a hurry to get washing dry, do it earlier if it is required sooner. With price power is I think an extra 1/2 drying time is better spent on heating or other essentials.

Thank you for this advice! I live in a unit and don’t have a dryer. Even if I had room I wouldn’t buy one 😂 but hanging my washing on the clothes horse to dry can be tedious as I have to plan my washing on things I need first, things that take longer to dry… not a life ending disaster but it can be annoying 😂 definitely throwing a load in the machine now to test this theory out! 😁

Reactions: Tervueren