Mum shares 'brilliant' IKEA laundry storage solution - 'Why does this post get me so excited?!'

There's no denying that doing the laundry is a time-consuming, strenuous activity that can be a huge pain to keep up with. It doesn't matter how often or how little you do your laundry; it will never stop growing if you don't have a proper way of organising and sorting it.

Fortunately for us, this one savvy mum-of-eight might have found the solution to keeping up with never-ending piles of washing that we've all been after for so long, so let's see how she does it!

Sharing the tip on social media, the woman claimed that she finally found the secret to not only assembling her family's mountains of dirty clothes but also actually putting them away too.

'Want to know my secret?' she wrote in the caption of her post on the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia Facebook group.

'This cupboard is amazing!'

2c2cfbe0-559f-11ed-a7f6-babd40b17128

The brilliant laundry trick keeps the mum's laundry neat without causing baskets of clothes to accumulate all over the place. Credit: Facebook/Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia.

The mum also shared some pictures of her custom-made $129 IKEA cabinet, which has a compartment for each member of the family's dirty laundry, serving as their laundry station.

The 'system' for the setup is also simple — after each item has been cleaned and folded, the mother moves it to the corresponding cupboard so that the appropriate family member can take the clothing and store it.

Her post caught the attention of numerous fellow Facebook users, with many admitting that the idea was 'absolutely brilliant'.

One person wrote: 'Why does this post get me so excited?! It's like a mailbox for clean clothes!'

The original poster also advised she used her Cricut machine to make the door signs for member of the family's name.

She explained: 'I fold and sort by person as soon as clothes are dry or when I need space for the next load.'

2c2d7110-559f-11ed-a6dc-605b08ef6fb4

The woman utilised the Kallax shelf unit from IKEA with stand and door inserts to build the ultimate laundry sorting station for her family. Credit: IKEA.

In addition, socks and linen also have their own private space, with baskets sitting on top of the cupboard holding socks until they are properly sorted and placed in the correct drawer each week.

'Everyone is meant to put their clothes away daily or they get a (not so gentle lol) reminder when their cupboard is full and I need the space,' the mum noted.

'And guess what? It's actually working!'

The post has gained over 3,200 likes and hundreds of comments from fellow Facebook users who can't wait to give the highly practical organisation tip a go in their own homes.

One mum said: 'I need this in my house! We can never get on top of the washing (family of 6).'

'I'm definitely trying this!' another exclaimed.

A third chimed in: 'This is brilliant, well done!'

Other members took to the comments to share their own helpful washing and sorting tips.

One person advised: 'Tip about the sock sorting - I get my husband to fold his worn socks in pairs before putting them on a laundry bag. That way, I don't have to do a scavenger hunt to match every pair! I'm also gradually swapping all of his socks to just one design so they all match.'

Another said: 'My system is similar but not as neat.'

'I have a huge workbench behind the washer and dryer and everyone has their own washing basket, with a separate one for linen and socks!' a third shared.

Another added: 'I've done this for years with my tribe too, it works brilliantly. I use a short Bunnings shelving rack with Flexi tubs though - not as pretty as yours!'

Key Takeaways

• An Australian mum of eight has shared the secret to her impressive laundry-sorting system - a system that means her family can put their clean clothes away.
  • To achieve this, the mum has individual laundry stations for each family member, which she stores in IKEA cupboards with names for each family member.
  • Socks and linen get their own dedicated space too, with baskets on top of the cupboard used to store socks until they are sorted once a week.

Who knew a simple cupboard could be so helpful? We definitely want one of these in our laundry!

How do you store and organise your clothes? Share your tips and recommendations (and any good ‘dirty clothes in the bedroom’ jokes) with us in the comments as well! We look forward to hearing from you.

Sponsored
I used to go absolutely crazy at my son, his wardrobe was mostly empty, most of his clothing being on the floordrobe. It was impossible to determine what was clean and what was dirty so I never knew what to wash. I was having a whingefest to a friend one day and she said to change the rules to door always closed, that way you don't have to look at it. What doesn't make it to the laundry each week doesn't get washed and all clean clothes will be folded and placed at his place on the dining room table. What he did with it was up to him. Don't worry about his clothes being on the floor, one day he will leave home, that's when you go in, chuck out everything he's left behind and below it all you will find a new carpet that's never been walked on!!:)

There's no denying that doing the laundry is a time-consuming, strenuous activity that can be a huge pain to keep up with. It doesn't matter how often or how little you do your laundry; it will never stop growing if you don't have a proper way of organising and sorting it.

Fortunately for us, this one savvy mum-of-eight might have found the solution to keeping up with never-ending piles of washing that we've all been after for so long, so let's see how she does it!

Sharing the tip on social media, the woman claimed that she finally found the secret to not only assembling her family's mountains of dirty clothes but also actually putting them away too.

'Want to know my secret?' she wrote in the caption of her post on the Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia Facebook group.

'This cupboard is amazing!'

2c2cfbe0-559f-11ed-a7f6-babd40b17128

The brilliant laundry trick keeps the mum's laundry neat without causing baskets of clothes to accumulate all over the place. Credit: Facebook/Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia.

The mum also shared some pictures of her custom-made $129 IKEA cabinet, which has a compartment for each member of the family's dirty laundry, serving as their laundry station.

The 'system' for the setup is also simple — after each item has been cleaned and folded, the mother moves it to the corresponding cupboard so that the appropriate family member can take the clothing and store it.

Her post caught the attention of numerous fellow Facebook users, with many admitting that the idea was 'absolutely brilliant'.

One person wrote: 'Why does this post get me so excited?! It's like a mailbox for clean clothes!'

The original poster also advised she used her Cricut machine to make the door signs for member of the family's name.

She explained: 'I fold and sort by person as soon as clothes are dry or when I need space for the next load.'

2c2d7110-559f-11ed-a6dc-605b08ef6fb4

The woman utilised the Kallax shelf unit from IKEA with stand and door inserts to build the ultimate laundry sorting station for her family. Credit: IKEA.

In addition, socks and linen also have their own private space, with baskets sitting on top of the cupboard holding socks until they are properly sorted and placed in the correct drawer each week.

'Everyone is meant to put their clothes away daily or they get a (not so gentle lol) reminder when their cupboard is full and I need the space,' the mum noted.

'And guess what? It's actually working!'

The post has gained over 3,200 likes and hundreds of comments from fellow Facebook users who can't wait to give the highly practical organisation tip a go in their own homes.

One mum said: 'I need this in my house! We can never get on top of the washing (family of 6).'

'I'm definitely trying this!' another exclaimed.

A third chimed in: 'This is brilliant, well done!'

Other members took to the comments to share their own helpful washing and sorting tips.

One person advised: 'Tip about the sock sorting - I get my husband to fold his worn socks in pairs before putting them on a laundry bag. That way, I don't have to do a scavenger hunt to match every pair! I'm also gradually swapping all of his socks to just one design so they all match.'

Another said: 'My system is similar but not as neat.'

'I have a huge workbench behind the washer and dryer and everyone has their own washing basket, with a separate one for linen and socks!' a third shared.

Another added: 'I've done this for years with my tribe too, it works brilliantly. I use a short Bunnings shelving rack with Flexi tubs though - not as pretty as yours!'

Key Takeaways

• An Australian mum of eight has shared the secret to her impressive laundry-sorting system - a system that means her family can put their clean clothes away.
  • To achieve this, the mum has individual laundry stations for each family member, which she stores in IKEA cupboards with names for each family member.
  • Socks and linen get their own dedicated space too, with baskets on top of the cupboard used to store socks until they are sorted once a week.

Who knew a simple cupboard could be so helpful? We definitely want one of these in our laundry!

How do you store and organise your clothes? Share your tips and recommendations (and any good ‘dirty clothes in the bedroom’ jokes) with us in the comments as well! We look forward to hearing from you.
I wash and fold the clothes and put them on the bed, that way they have to move them to get into bed. No need to spend money on cupboards or fill up small laundry spaces