Mum overlooks detail in ALDI purchase: ‘I didn’t realise it’

The joy of finding a bargain can quickly turn into frustration when the product doesn't meet your expectations.

This is a lesson many shoppers, including a mum who recently purchased a bedding set from ALDI, have learned the hard way.

The issue? The set didn't include a flat sheet, a detail she overlooked when making her purchase.

The mum shared her experience on social media, saying, 'Please tell me I’m not the only i***t who didn’t read the inclusions thinking this was a full sheet set and didn’t realise no flat was included.'

The product in question was a cotton sheet pack from Kirkton House, retailing for $40.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 8.04.43 AM.png
A mum missed one detail when she bought the Kirkton House cotton sheet pack from ALDI. Credit: Facebook

The packaging clearly stated that it included a fitted sheet and two pillowcases but no flat sheet.

The post quickly garnered attention, with many sympathising with the mum's predicament.

‘I did this too from the sale a couple of years ago. Had to go to Spotlight to get a matching flat sheet,’ one person wrote.

‘So annoying as I had to spend even more money to buy a separate flat sheet,’ another added.

Another said they did the same but went to Target to find ‘the closest match’.

Others only realised this after washing them, which was the point of no return.

‘I pulled them out, washed them, put them in the dryer, pulled them out of [the] dryer, not even then realising there was only one sheet until I started to make the bed,’ they said.

Shoppers also expressed their frustration about the increasing trend of bedding sets being sold without flat sheets.

One shopper lamented, 'Nowhere has set with the flat sheet anymore. It’s so frustrating!'

Another added, 'Wow! Didn’t even realise flat sheets are not being used and are being phased out. I must be still living in the past.'

A third added, ‘A lot of sets now don’t have flat sheets. Don’t like that myself, so won’t buy them.’

‘I couldn’t even imagine getting into a bed without one. Bring them back!’ a fourth chimed in.

However, not everyone was on the flat sheet bandwagon. Some shoppers were glad to see the back of them.

'I usually throw out the flat sheets anyway, so I’m glad they’re starting to not include them,' said one commenter.

Another added, 'I can’t remember the last time I used a flat sheet! We run the aircon in summer, so we just use the duvet.'

Some users told the mum she should have been more careful.

‘Read the inclusions next time,’ one woman bluntly said.

‘It literally says exactly what it contains…on the front of the pack,’ another wrote.

However, some claimed the packaging was misleading.

‘I thought a “set” meant a fitted, flat, and two pillowcases. This seems really dodgy. Maybe go back and ask for a refund?’ one suggested.

‘It does say sheet “set” pack. You shouldn't have to read further. It lies by omission,’ another noted.

Mistakes can be confusing for everyone, especially when shopping for groceries or items online in-store.

In a previous story, a customer found themselves in a predicament when they were overcharged by $5 for a service that was advertised as free.

However, the supermarket's response to this error has left the customer—and the wider public—scratching their heads. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways
  • A mum shared her mistake of not reading the inclusions before purchasing a bedding set from ALDI, assuming it came with a flat sheet.
  • Other customers also expressed frustration and shared similar experiences in the comments.
  • The debate about whether bedding sets should include flat sheets has surfaced, with some shoppers preferring them and others glad to see them go.
  • The packaging of the bedding set sparked a conversation about whether it was misleading, with some arguing that a 'set' should include a flat sheet by default.
What's your take on this debate? Do you think bedding sets should be with or without flat sheets? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
There's no way I'd pay $40 for a king single fitted sheet with 2 pillowcases and no top sheet and only 300 thread count from Aldis or anywhere else. The packaging is correct but you do have to read it. You do have to be careful these days as even sheets aren't as good as they once were. The percale sheets were beautiful once but not sure if you can still get them. I have a queen fitted sheet, a single bed top sheet and just a single doona cover on top as it is too hot in QLD. The top single sheet is great as I don't have to tuck it in and it is easy to get in and out of bed during the night. Works for me.

It’s great that you can buy a set without a top sheet
I always use a top sheet, but people who don’t shouldn’t have to pay for one that they’re not going to use
You buy which set suits you just make sure you look at the information on the packet as to what is included

I have started to buy my linen from Temu. Got all my friends on it as well. Now there is a way to save money and my sheet sets and doona covers have never looked better.

Reactions: NannaKay
This seems to be the trend no flat sheet..... I haven't had one for the last 2 years since I had a stroke. As long as the price goes down accordingly.

I send my top sheets to the op shop, I just find them annoying. I have only found one set of bed linen without the top sheet included, I think it’s a great idea

I buy some of my sheets from Harris Scarf and I also like sheet sets with the flat sheet included. Harris Scarf also sell just the fitted sheet and 2 pillow cases but they call it a 'Combo Set'. Maybe other stores should do the same then there would be less confusion.

I think it’s just another way of cutting costs , a sheet set should include two sheets and two pillowcases but if you go to Bed Bath and Table the sheet sets don’t include pillow cases anymore either, you have to buy them separately, very annoying , only got caught once !!!

I saw this Aldis ad for single sheets and was at first taken in when it stated a set. I read the ad several times before I realised there was only one sheet. They didn't get the sale. Many people still prefer a top sheet to wash rather than a duvet to have to keep pulling apart. Time consuming and exhausting.

A German thing, as most European bedding is sold without a top sheet. I've gone into the 2 types of Aldi (north and south) in Germany when there and what is sold there often ends up on sale here (in the appropriate seasons). But it's not the practice here. Instead of venting their frustration on social media, just take it back with receipt and get a refund.

I don't have any issue with this as don't use a top sheet - just throw the doona cover in the machine every week.
When purchasing anything, it always comes down to Caveat Emptor!

Reactions: magpie1
I don't have any issue with this as don't use a top sheet - just throw the doona cover in the machine every week.
When purchasing anything, it always comes down to Caveat Emptor!
Caveat Emptor only applies if there isn't a warranty or buy protection applicable, which in this case there is.

Caveat Emptor only applies if there isn't a warranty or buy protection applicable, which in this case there is.
I agree, but the literal translation of Caveat Emptor is" buyer beware", and that phrase (in an advisory sense) applies to anything you purchase, be it under warranty or not.