Mum draws flak for flying first class with her young daughter: 'Are we really a**h****?'

Flying can be a stressful experience at the best of times. Having to deal with long security lines, airport delays, and grumpy fellow passengers is enough to make even the most even-tempered person lose their cool.

So it's no wonder that tempers often flare during flights – especially when people feel like they're not getting what they paid for.

Case in point: this unfortunate story goes to show that even if you do manage to snag some expensive tickets, it doesn't always guarantee a pleasant flight…

A mother from the US has detailed the shocking moment she was confronted by another passenger for travelling with her young daughter in first class.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.04.44 AM.png
When a mother, her husband, and her young daughter decided to fly first class, another passenger made the flight memorable for all the wrong reasons. Credit: Pexels/Gustavo Fring.

Taking to the popular forum website Reddit to share her story, the woman said that her family of three had decided to splurge on the pricey seats because her husband had just received a pay rise.

Shortly after boarding their flight and getting settled into their seats, they noticed that one fellow traveller in first class was 'glaring' at them disapprovingly. The mum said she initially tried to ignore him but unfortunately, things only got worse from there…

'We take off and all is good,' the mum began her story. 'My kid fell asleep in the middle of colouring, my husband is snoozing, I'm listening to music when I get a tap on my shoulder… It was the guy that glared at us as we boarded.'

She continued: 'Before I could even get a word out, he told me that children weren't allowed in first class and that we needed to move to our "real" seats.'

At that moment, the mum recalled she was so confused and upset because her daughter was innocently sleeping in her seat. 'I wanted the flight attendants to deal with this,' she said, calling a flight attendant over in an attempt to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 8.04.38 AM.png
Later, a flight attendant came to help the mum and stood up for her against the rude passenger. Credit: Pexels/Pew Nguyen.

The angry passenger then began to argue with the flight attendant, telling them that the family were in the 'wrong seats'. Eventually, the crew member was forced to explain to the man that they had indeed purchased tickets for those specific seats and that he needed to go back to his own and leave them alone.

Thankfully, the drama ended there and the family were able to enjoy the rest of their flight in peace. However, as they were disembarking, the man made one final, insulting comment to the mum as he walked past.

'As we were getting off the plane he whispered to me that I was a "fat c***" and that he pays too much money for first class to be surrounded by children,' recalled the mum.

The mum defended her daughter, saying she has always been a good flyer and she has never been disruptive on flights. 'She was the only kid in first class and she didn't misbehave or even cry,' she said.

The mother then asked for advice from other Reddit users, wondering if she and her family had done something wrong by flying first class with their young daughter.

'Are we really a**h***s for flying first class with our toddler?' she asked.

Many people were quick to jump to her defence, with one writing: 'The only one acting like a whiny baby on the flight was him. Notice how he didn't even have the courage to insult your husband like he did to you. All he wanted to do was bully a woman to make himself feel better.'

Another added: 'Even if your child cried, it wouldn't have mattered because you are entitled to the seats you paid for. There is no age limit or policy that children can't be in first class. If they don't want to be around kids that bad - they should fly private.'

A third user joined the conversation and continued to attack the unruly passenger, joking: 'He should have purchased the whole first class if he wanted it to be child-free.'

'Don't let him bother you. When people get this mad over nothing, I make sure to have an extra wonderful day,' said a fourth.
Key Takeaways

• A mother's innocent decision to fly first class with her husband and her little daughter was met with unwarranted hostility from another passenger.
  • The man said children are not allowed in first class and they should return to their 'real' seats.
  • The mother was defended by a flight attendant, and most people on the internet agreed that she did nothing wrong.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? And have you ever had a similar experience while flying? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Flying can be a stressful experience at the best of times. Having to deal with long security lines, airport delays, and grumpy fellow passengers is enough to make even the most even-tempered person lose their cool.

So it's no wonder that tempers often flare during flights – especially when people feel like they're not getting what they paid for.

Case in point: this unfortunate story goes to show that even if you do manage to snag some expensive tickets, it doesn't always guarantee a pleasant flight…

A mother from the US has detailed the shocking moment she was confronted by another passenger for travelling with her young daughter in first class.

View attachment 9761
When a mother, her husband, and her young daughter decided to fly first class, another passenger made the flight memorable for all the wrong reasons. Credit: Pexels/Gustavo Fring.

Taking to the popular forum website Reddit to share her story, the woman said that her family of three had decided to splurge on the pricey seats because her husband had just received a pay rise.

Shortly after boarding their flight and getting settled into their seats, they noticed that one fellow traveller in first class was 'glaring' at them disapprovingly. The mum said she initially tried to ignore him but unfortunately, things only got worse from there…

'We take off and all is good,' the mum began her story. 'My kid fell asleep in the middle of colouring, my husband is snoozing, I'm listening to music when I get a tap on my shoulder… It was the guy that glared at us as we boarded.'

She continued: 'Before I could even get a word out, he told me that children weren't allowed in first class and that we needed to move to our "real" seats.'

At that moment, the mum recalled she was so confused and upset because her daughter was innocently sleeping in her seat. 'I wanted the flight attendants to deal with this,' she said, calling a flight attendant over in an attempt to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand.

View attachment 9762
Later, a flight attendant came to help the mum and stood up for her against the rude passenger. Credit: Pexels/Pew Nguyen.

The angry passenger then began to argue with the flight attendant, telling them that the family were in the 'wrong seats'. Eventually, the crew member was forced to explain to the man that they had indeed purchased tickets for those specific seats and that he needed to go back to his own and leave them alone.

Thankfully, the drama ended there and the family were able to enjoy the rest of their flight in peace. However, as they were disembarking, the man made one final, insulting comment to the mum as he walked past.

'As we were getting off the plane he whispered to me that I was a "fat c***" and that he pays too much money for first class to be surrounded by children,' recalled the mum.

The mum defended her daughter, saying she has always been a good flyer and she has never been disruptive on flights. 'She was the only kid in first class and she didn't misbehave or even cry,' she said.

The mother then asked for advice from other Reddit users, wondering if she and her family had done something wrong by flying first class with their young daughter.

Many people were quick to jump to her defence, with one writing: 'The only one acting like a whiny baby on the flight was him. Notice how he didn't even have the courage to insult your husband like he did to you. All he wanted to do was bully a woman to make himself feel better.'

Another added: 'Even if your child cried, it wouldn't have mattered because you are entitled to the seats you paid for. There is no age limit or policy that children can't be in first class. If they don't want to be around kids that bad - they should fly private.'

A third user joined the conversation and continued to attack the unruly passenger, joking: 'He should have purchased the whole first class if he wanted it to be child-free.'

'Don't let him bother you. When people get this mad over nothing, I make sure to have an extra wonderful day,' said a fourth.
Key Takeaways

• A mother's innocent decision to fly first class with her husband and her little daughter was met with unwarranted hostility from another passenger.
  • The man said children are not allowed in first class and they should return to their 'real' seats.
  • The mother was defended by a flight attendant, and most people on the internet agreed that she did nothing wrong.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? And have you ever had a similar experience while flying? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.
I'm afraid that if it was me he said that too I would be arrested, but I'd have the satisfaction and sore knuckles!!

Was she suppose to put the child with her Check-In luggage to please him?, it wouldn't matter he would find something else to wing about. I am 76 years old and I put myself in the parents place when it comes to flying with children, I was a father of small children and now I am a grandfather of small children so it doesn't worry me to travel with children.

Your entitled to the seats that you have paid for, with both First and Business Class included. Year ago when my children were young (8,5,& 2) we flew first Business and First to take up a long term work posting. No problems and my children also behaved themselves. They knew about catching planes and took it in their stride. At one time my wife and three children were returning on leave to Australia - the airline upgraded her to Business Class as they thought that it would be easier for her.

Now I regularly fly Business Class by myself and have no problems if there are children in either the lounge or in Business Cabin. Someone has paid the cost and they are usually well behaved.

View attachment 9761

View attachment 9762

Key Takeaways

If they paid for first class they should get first class no matter the age

View attachment 9761

View attachment 9762

Key Takeaways

What were they supposed to do? Put her in cattle class all by herself? Get a life mate, people have kids, they fly places. If they can afford to fly First or Business class so be it. Build a bridge.......! :rolleyes:

View attachment 9761

View attachment 9762

Key Takeaways

that person was just an arrogant rich prick who really needs an attitude adjustment, like a bat around the back of the head

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Doesn't seem matter who you are or where you are, there will always be that someone who only cares about them self, and bugger everyone else. Thousands of people, adults and children, fly to and from hundreds of airports everyday; why this story even credits a mention is beyond me.:unsure: I choose not to fly, ever again, after some d/h got in my face, threatening violence, on a long haul flight to the UK from Sydney, because we, my spouse and I, decided to take our infant twins with us. I refuse to fly.

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540